“Top location, excellent food!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Kampala
“Top location, excellent food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I am a regular in Nomads, and i was never let down by food or service in the past four years! The location is great, right on one of the most beautiful beaches in Diani. You can choose to seat outside (to avoid on windy days) or inside, scenic view will remain the same.

Their menu is extensive, with a good choice of seafood platters, pasta dishes and a good choice of pizza's (different sizes - go for the large!). On Sunday they also organize a Curry Buffet! Evening buffet is also delicious. Cocktails are also available. A vast selection of Ice cream completes your meal.

Service and manager are always at disposal, even when place is crowded (weekends, especially Sunday at lunch!) Car park is safe and ample.

Will definitely continuing eating here at least once a week.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Nairobi
“Top location, Terrible Service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I am very sorry to have to write this review and am not one who is typically critical. I usually prefer to remain quiet and ignore a place if I feel 'wronged', but in the case of Nomads I feel it is important to say my piece!

The location of this restaurant is superb, and it occupies a large part of Diani's fantastic beach. That is all the place has going for it. My friends and I, party of 15, went to eat there on a Saturday night having been there in the past and had pleasant experiences. I stress the number of people as Mombasa is not bustling with business at this time of the year, as it is a low season and the recent travel advisories on Kenya do not help with the number of visitors...therefore for a restaurant which had 5 other tables occupied with max 4 guests each on a Saturday night, a party of 15 should have been mouthwatering! I am also stressing that it was a Saturday night.

We ordered our food at around 9.30pm after the group had gone through the detailed and extensive menu, and enjoyed a drink or two. The starters came well after 10pm, and shockingly the mains started trickling in one by one (literally!) close to 11pm. For many the food had already gone cold. This is not the worst part - one of the guests, a strict vegetarian, found meat in her food and asked the waiter to speak to the chef to confirm her worst fears! The waiter returned after 5 minutes to inform all that the kitchen had been closed and all the chefs had gone home. Additionally he explained that anyone who may have wanted to order desserts had been time barred as the kitchen was closed!! You may be reading this and wondering whether this actually happened...which I can sadly confirm that it did, word for word!!

We were all left rather bewildered as the guest in question, who had the meat option in the strictly vegetarian dish, was particularly annoyed as the restaurant managers are her personal friends. The rest of us were shocked at the kitchen closed revelation as I for one was timing a dessert which Nomads is famous for, nit to mention that we were paying guests and given what Mombasa is going through one would think that the kitchen being closed by 11pm is totally unreasonable, inexplicable and unacceptable. If the kitchen was going to be closed for whatever reason, one would think that informing the guests and/or writing a notice to that effect would be the bare minimum to expect.

I will never return to Nomads following this experience. It is totally unacceptable for such an establishment to treat visitors in this manner, and sadly a classic lesson in the startling difference between owner managed operations and employee run establishments. Terrible terrible experience!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Chef missing in action”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I have been to nomads several times and it has usually been above average. However, it seems that it is losing something now. We went in a large group on a Saturday night. It was not too busy. After some shuffling around to set our table, we settled down and placed our orders. We finally got served at about 9 45 pm, when a strict vegetarian was served with meat in her pasta dish. On complaining, and much to our shock, we were told that the chef had gone home. We had barely finished our mains and had not even bee naked about desserts which we wouldn't have got anyway. The managers were nowhere to be seen and when we asked to see them, we were told they had also gone home. I felt sorry for the lone waiter who did as much as he could. Clearly, the managers didn't or don't really care. We left very disappointed and my friend left hungry. I want to give go back to see if they will improve. I hope so.

Visited October 2013
Riyadh
“Great food, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a great evening meal at Nomads. Service was excellent, food was good and so was the ambiance. Very relaxing.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“"Huge Pizza"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had a very large Pizza which for the first time was not able to conquer. Good food beautiful location and an amazing beach!!!

Visited September 2013