“Hidden Oasis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stilts Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Diani Beach
Stilts Backpackers
Diani Beach Road, Diani Beach, Ukunda 1824, Kenya   |
London, United Kingdom
“Hidden Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This place it just wonderful! I can highly recommend to make your reservation here if you want to enjoy your holiday, experience wildlife and with a low budget. At two minutes from the beach, here is the place where you want to be. Great service and nice food.

Room Tip: Don't leave your food inside your room. Monkeys will break the wall, come inside and eat it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at Stilts for three nights and had a great time staying in a treehouse. Staff were friendly and helpful, the treehuts were cute and comfortable and the main hang out area was very chilled and relaxing. A few things we especially liked were:

* the directions on their website on how to get there by Matatu and ferry were spot on and easy to follow. It cost two of us under 250 shillings to get there from Mombasa as opposed to 2000-3000 by taxi!
* there are guards posted outside who will walk you up the driveway (if you are getting off a matatu) or back from 40 Thieves at night - this made us feel much safer as we had read a couple of negative reviews. We had no problems with security at all staying at Stilts.
* there is now wifi there! 300 shillings for use throughout your stay.
* we asked and were able to have a bonfire one night - we loved cooking our own sausages and roasting marshmallows over the fire.
* the wildlife you can see around is really cool - monkeys and bush babies and lizards etc....

We would definitely stay here again (although would perhaps pick a different time of year - June wasn't quite as hot and sunny as we would have liked!)

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This place was a highlight of our trip. We were just popping up for a long weekend from Uganda and wanted some place cheap to stay that wasnt far from the beach, but that had some character. Stilts fit the bill - a fraction of the price of other places in Diani, and treehouse accommodation that felt very secure and friendly. Its just a short walk to the beach, and if you move at night they will lend you their askari to walk over the road so that you feel safe.

It was really fun sleeping up in the trees, with the monkeys peering in the windows. The only thing that might have improved it was to have a double bed - all the treehouses were twin set up.

Also - excellent showers! A rarity in budget accommodation.

Andy the owner wasnt around when we visited, but the rest of the staff took great care of us. They sorted out day trips and reservations at the exceptionally good cave restaurant across the road. They really went above and beyond when I stupidly left my Ugandan cash in the safe - they managed to send it by mobile money to a friend of mine who was coming back to Uganda later and could bring it to me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Miltown Malbay, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I can highly recommend this place if you are planning an awesome beach holidays with a low budget. Stilts Backpackers is an unique backpackers, I have never seen a hostel like this before. The tree houses make you feel as if you were living in the middle of the jungle, the monkeys are very easy to spot all around, so the sunis, tiny antelopes, the beautiful sunbirds, the blue butterflies....

The breakfast time was one of my favourites, the food is really good and Ray,the cook, is excellent. And all the staff there: Tim, Jane, Shek...were very helpful and friendly.

Also one of my favourites moments was the sunset time, when we used to feed the bush babies with bananas in the pub while enjoying a cold drink with some starters before dinner time.

The beaches are neverending, white sands and turquoise and aqua marine waters, palm trees, coconut trees, crabs, coral reef, colorful fishes, starfishes, octopus, moreys, sea anemones.... palm roofed cottages, camels strolling the beach, wonderful weather, friendly people everywhere, locals always happy to see tourists....

The highlights are go sailing and snorkeling with the locals in the typical boat, the dhow, made with a local mango tree, and of course visit Wasini Island and Kisite Marine Park, absolutely amazing!!

It was very easy to make new friends there, and all the guests who stay in Stilts use to be very interesting travellers, with amazing adventures and stories to share, very friendly and open minded people, no matter the age or the country where they are from.

I really had a very nice time and felt very comfortable, thanks everybody!!

Room Tip: The tree houses don't have a bathroom ensuite, but the share facilities, toilets and showers, ar...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Stiltsdiani, Owner at Stilts Backpackers, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Hello Carmen,
It was great to have you staying. Thanks for the many ideas and the excellent paper you wrote on "Things to do in Diani". We have posted it on our site. We now also have free wifi, you were right, it certainly helps!!
Hopefully we will see you in the near furure.

Take Care and happy travels.

Andy
Rosemont, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Although I did not stay at Stilts, I contacted Andy by email (I'm from Canada) and requested if he would please send a bottle of wine for my daughter, partner and friend as a gift from me and charge my credit card.

Andy was quick to reply and said that he would be very pleased to respond to my request...even though he did not have the debit/credit card facility to accept payment. He was very generous and kind enough to provide the bottle of wine, free of charge, on the house for them! What a wonderful gesture and wonderful service!

I appreciated his kindness and customer service...THANK YOU ANDY! Cheers!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stilts was SUCH an amazing experience. Sleeping in tree huts with playful monkeys outside was a fun and exciting experience, not to mention the serene beach atmosphere. The main area was SO laid-back, lots of couches, seating, books, a community guitar, and free coffee and tea in the morning! You also HAVE to try their curry dishes-incredible! It's a 5min walk to the beach and the employees or so kind and accommodating. I also must mention, the owner. Andy George has gone to such great lengths to make sure that I receive my journal that I had left in my hut when I left back to Canada. After numerous efforts to send it, he eventually had sent it back with a couple from Canada to be sure I got it back. I don't know anyone who would put so much time to helping one little Canadian girl get her journal back. This man is now dear to my heart and I won't forget him. Have a blasy!!!

Room Tip: Get one of the tree huts!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We are two Norwegian students who stayed here for 4 weeks in july/august. Talked to Andy, the owner, who arranged a pick up for us at the airport and took us straight to stilts. We stayed 2 weeks in a tree house and 2 weeks in a cottage. For a short stay i would definitely reccomend the tree house for an amazing experience. The sounds from the bush and the wind from the ocean is really amazing. For longer stays the cottages are nice as they have their own bathroom and shower (although the common showers were always clean).
The staff at stilts are really wonderful and they are always happy to help with whatever is needed. The chef, Big Ray, should have two stars in the michelin guide as he makes the best food ever for a very cheap price. Try the calamari and mash - it is perfection and will keep you full for a week. The bar/restaurant area was always busy and there was always someone inviting you to have a few drinks at forty thieves or arranging a barbecue feast at Stilts.
We only had 2 visits from the monkeys during our 4 week stay so if you take precautions they will not bother you.
If you are traveling on a budget or just want to stay in a unique place different from the large commercial places in Diani then Stilts is the perfect place.

We are going back in April!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Stilts Backpackers? Share your experiences!