“Accommodating a Special Request” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stilts Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Diani Beach
Stilts Backpackers
You added Stilts Backpackers to your Saves list
Diani Beach Road, Diani Beach, Ukunda 1824, Kenya   |
Rosemont, Canada
“Accommodating a Special Request”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Although I did not stay at Stilts, I contacted Andy by email (I'm from Canada) and requested if he would please send a bottle of wine for my daughter, partner and friend as a gift from me and charge my credit card.

Andy was quick to reply and said that he would be very pleased to respond to my request...even though he did not have the debit/credit card facility to accept payment. He was very generous and kind enough to provide the bottle of wine, free of charge, on the house for them! What a wonderful gesture and wonderful service!

I appreciated his kindness and customer service...THANK YOU ANDY! Cheers!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stilts was SUCH an amazing experience. Sleeping in tree huts with playful monkeys outside was a fun and exciting experience, not to mention the serene beach atmosphere. The main area was SO laid-back, lots of couches, seating, books, a community guitar, and free coffee and tea in the morning! You also HAVE to try their curry dishes-incredible! It's a 5min walk to the beach and the employees or so kind and accommodating. I also must mention, the owner. Andy George has gone to such great lengths to make sure that I receive my journal that I had left in my hut when I left back to Canada. After numerous efforts to send it, he eventually had sent it back with a couple from Canada to be sure I got it back. I don't know anyone who would put so much time to helping one little Canadian girl get her journal back. This man is now dear to my heart and I won't forget him. Have a blasy!!!

Room Tip: Get one of the tree huts!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We are two Norwegian students who stayed here for 4 weeks in july/august. Talked to Andy, the owner, who arranged a pick up for us at the airport and took us straight to stilts. We stayed 2 weeks in a tree house and 2 weeks in a cottage. For a short stay i would definitely reccomend the tree house for an amazing experience. The sounds from the bush and the wind from the ocean is really amazing. For longer stays the cottages are nice as they have their own bathroom and shower (although the common showers were always clean).
The staff at stilts are really wonderful and they are always happy to help with whatever is needed. The chef, Big Ray, should have two stars in the michelin guide as he makes the best food ever for a very cheap price. Try the calamari and mash - it is perfection and will keep you full for a week. The bar/restaurant area was always busy and there was always someone inviting you to have a few drinks at forty thieves or arranging a barbecue feast at Stilts.
We only had 2 visits from the monkeys during our 4 week stay so if you take precautions they will not bother you.
If you are traveling on a budget or just want to stay in a unique place different from the large commercial places in Diani then Stilts is the perfect place.

We are going back in April!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Excellent and good value food, 200 metres across road to the beach, bush setting,lizards, monkeys do not keep food or drinks except water in you room, bush babies to feed at sunset, arrange your tours and taxis through staff only (Tim the barman honest and efficient) large cottage rooms bathrooms a bit exposed so to speak (short walls) all in all a very pleasant place to stay an elevated bar and restaurant catches the sea breeze other rooms are tree houses, stay you will not regret it. Nigs & Mary

Room Tip: We stayed in a cottage with fan, power points and attached bathroom,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Loved this spot. It was comfortable and the staff was very helpful and friendly and it was just a short walk to the beautiful beach. Definitely good value and amazing breakfast. We stayed in the treehouses which were very cool and comfortable and clean. Lots of wildlife.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mombasa, Coast, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Stilts on a recommendation from a friend and we were not disappointed! Andy, the owner, is funny and very friendly and helpful. We loved the location - super close to the beach, a fun bar (40 thieves), and some shopping centers. We also really enjoyed the look of the place. The main house is large enough to not be too crowded but still a cozy place to chat with friends or make new ones! True to the name, all the buildings are up on stilts which allows the wind to blow through and keep the temperature down. The food is pretty good and is reasonably priced and you can even feed the bush babies in the evening. As far as hostels go, we thought it was unique and fun! If we get a chance to visit Diani again we will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

For the price, Stilts was a great place to stay, and the location was convenient. I met a lot of interesting people, and overall had a good time. Still, it was frustrating that you couldn't leave things in the treehouses or really spend time in them - not only are they not secure (there are safes provided for valuables that are downstairs from the main gathering area and bar), but they aren't much of a structure. Woven mesh and some wood are all the are between you and the outdoors. At night it was impossible to read without getting attached by bugs, which fly in through the open/woven walls. My room also got broken into by a money, who went through all my belongings (and pooped on my floor), to get to my tic-tacs. The owner didn't seemed concerned when I raised the issue (I didn't leave food in my room to avoid attracting monkeys), and even told me to wait until morning to have the poop cleaned off the floor! Overall, not a pleasant night, and I was happy to leave. I wouldn't go back...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Stilts Backpackers? Share your experiences!