Me and a friend who are both kitesurfers wanted to check out this place. It looked really nice on their home page, and the wind statistics looked good for january/february. And I can tell you we were not disappointed! We were there for two weeks and we had a blast. It was just amazing there. The hotel/pousada, was placed just in front of the beach with palm trees all around it. The beach is beautiful, with white sand. The hotel is really cosy and clean, with real soul and the staff is nice and helpful. There are also monkeys jumping around in the trees which i found really amusing.
The beach in front of the hotel, Galu beach, is suppose to be the best place to kitesurf in Kenya. At low tide the water gets really flat and there is alot of space for everyone. At high tide it's choppy. The two weeks we were there we had wind every day and I used a 9m hybrid kite all the time. The avrage size that people used was between 9-12m2. We also did some nice downwind trips from Diani beach to Gualu beach, and it's recommended to try this at high tide. At low tide it can be to shallow to kitesurf at Diani beach.
There was also nice snorkeling there with some corals here and there with alot of colorful small fish. The water temperature was 28 degrees celcius.
The local people was also very friendly, and were always greeting you and smiling and talking when taking the local busses.
We really didn't check out the nightlife that much since we really wanted to get as much time on the water as possible when travelling all the way from Norway to kitesurf. But we did go to a bar called "Forty thives" to fetch a few beers a couple of times, and it was a really cool beach bar.
- Also Known As:
- Kenyaways Beach Bed & Breakfast & Restaurant Hotel
- Kenyaways Beach Bed & Breakfast & Restaurant Hotel Diani
- Kenyaways Beach Bed And Breakfast & Restaurant
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kenyaways bed & breakfast Diani Beach is a family run B&B holiday villa right on a beautiful Diani beach. Kenyaways only has 11 bedrooms, 5 with seaview, beach facing. One is a self catering apartment. Kenyaways is exclusive yet reasonably priced for travelers and holiday makers for families, couples or single travellers. The Kenyaways beach villa is colorful and friendly and has a relaxing vibe and a magnificent view of the beach. It is convenient for onward travel, general relaxation, water sports, communications, shopping and nightlife. Kenyaways is especially attractive for kite surfers and surfers. Kenyaways Diani Beach has a watersports centre and kite surf school offering kite surf lessons and IKO kitesurf courses to beginners and intermediates. The kite school is Diani Beach's leading kite surf school and offer a professional service all year round. Diving is also an option for the less wind days and there is an amazing tropical coral reef which runs parallel to the beach where you can see many colorful interesting coral and fish as well as turtles and dolphins. ... more less