“Most Memorable Family Reunion!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AfroChic Diani

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diani Beach
AfroChic Diani
Save Saved
You added AfroChic Diani to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Golden Beach Road, Diani Beach, Ukunda 80400, Kenya   |
Ranked #2 of 31 hotels in Diani Beach
Phoenix, Arizona
“Most Memorable Family Reunion!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was the most memorable family reunion my family has ever had! From the service, to the rooms, to the food, we will never forget this fabulous trip to AfroChic.

Upon arrival at AfroChic, we were greeted by Doris, who gave us cold towels. Doris sat down with us, along with her associate, Zipporah, and told us everything we needed to know about this fantastic boutique hotel. Then, Tazim, the general manager, came over and we gained even more knowledge about this hotel! Once finished, we were escorted to our room, Punda Milia, on the top floor. It was a connecting room as we were a family of four meeting up with everybody. The room was very spacious with a TV, huge king bed, and great bathroom!

Immediately, the kids wanted to go swimming. The pool is cleaned during every meal time (when no one is in it) and is great for swimming laps, playing games, and even just relaxing on the stools. Although AfroChic doesn't have a private beach, there are still sun beds for you to lay on that are part of the AfroChic property. These are very comfortable, and there are no beach boys coming to bother you. Beware of sea urchins when you go down to the water!

The food at this hotel is the best hotel food we have ever had. The chef catered to our every need! For example, one night we wanted a black forest cake for my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary, and all we had to do was tell the chef 24 hours in advance! We were also celebrating my brother in-law's birthday and that night was amazing! There were profiteroles, cakes, and much more! The staff and chef all came out and sang a special song for him. This showed they truly cared about all of us, and they went out of their way to make sure this night was special!

The general manager, Tazim, was attentive to everything, and she was always checking up on us to make sure this vacation ran smoothly. This adds to the superb service that was provided by the staff members!

Overall, we couldn't have asked for anything better, and this boutique hotel definitely went above and beyond our expectations! We will surely be back sometime in the future! Thanks to everyone!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had an amazing time in Afrochic Diani. The service was excellent, in fact the best that we've experienced in Africa so far. They had us from the moment we landed in Ukunda airport, where we were greeted with lavender-scented towels and a bottle of water by our smiling driver. The moment we arrived at the gate with the most amazing guard, to the time we stepped in and received a briefing from Ziphora at the reception (with Spumanti!), who said to my honey, "take off your watch sir, you don't need it here" we knew that this was a special place with attention to details.

We stayed in Kaskazi room, which we loved but hardly used because the lull of the pool, the beach beds and the sound of sea were such stiff competition. We stayed for four nights (the last night was free!) and it seemed like an eternity.

There are many things to love about Afrochic, but our favorite times were mealtimes, which we could decide in our own convenience. The only dilemma we had was deciding what to eat for each meal, because everytime we sample something from the chef's kitchen, we want to have a repeat of everything we ate - the beef and tuna carpaccio, seafood platter, the pasta, the catch of the day - all were extra delicious. We requested for lobster and oysters and we got them! Three of four kilograms gained after four days, but we're not complaining, we're happy campers.

Keep up the great work - lovely men and women behind Afrochic. We will truly come back again.

Cheers,

WK and LR

Room Tip: Get the seaview room! Kaskazi was great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I love this hotel.

It was my first time travelling alone and I have to say, AfroChic will be an annual event for me. Staff are genuinely friendly, the rooms are beautiful and above all clean. I love the fact that I get my own DSTV decoder :-). And even though it rained a few of the days, it never felt dull. I am used to large hotel buffets and so an al a carte menu was a refreshing change and made my dining experience exciting at every meal.
I stayed during the low low season and that works for me.
I would recommend this to anyone who just want a low key, high relaxation holiday.
Thanks to all the staff who made my stay oh so special.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had a wonderful pre honeymoon here. the place is just lovely decoration wise. the service is superb and the rooms are so nice that that even the rainy season is a good time to stay there. we loved it!

• Stayed June 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I didn't realize until I arrived how small the hotel is - about 12 rooms, and I loved it. It is THE way to end a safari.... lots of relax time in the pool, the swinging beds by the sea, or pool. Be warned though, you are likely to gain 2 kilos..... the all inclusive meals are lovely, and it is hard not to 'try ' everything on the menu :)

2 nights flew by, even though we didn't leave the immediate area, we appreciated being 'cared' for, the great food, and doing nothing! There are excursions which can be arranged - but we were happy relaxing. Love the fact it is a 5-10 min ride to the airport!

i was very touched by the front desk manager who gave me a big hug upon leaving!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wassenaar, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were in AfroChic during New Years. Friendly staff, felt like home. Nice beaches but beware of the sea urchins in the water and a few locals who tried to sell you items. Rooms were nice, however the wifi was a tad slow.

Staff were very personal and friendly and by the end we felt very comforatble there. The 'sacred' forest trip is NOT worth it, waste of time and the scuba diving is expensive for what we got but still nice.

The pool at the resort however was not clean and resulted in me getting an ear infection where I was taken to the local hospital. The warm climate with stagnant water is a breeding ground for disease, so beware!

But other than that we had a lovely stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ElewanaCollection, Owner at AfroChic Diani, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Sir

Firstly may I thank you for your review of AfroChic Diani Beach hotel. I am pleased to hear that you and your parents had an enjoyable time with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

I was somewhat disappointed to read your claims that the swimming pool contained 'stagnant' water and was therefore the cause of your ear infection. We take such claims made against our health and safety very seriously indeed, and I hope my detailed response will both demonstrate that fact as well as show that our pool was unlikely to have been the cause of your ailment.

For the benefit of our readers, I have tried to make contact with you before publicly responding but as yet I have not received a reply.

As you will probably remember, AfroChic's swimming pool has a large waterfall feature that, along with in and outflow jets, keeps the water within the pool moving constantly. Thousands of gallons of water are circulated via these pumps and flow jets during the day, with the total amount of water circulated in excess of three times the amount of water in the pool. Stagnancy is therefore not a reality.

In addition to this constant circulation, the swimming pool has regular checks performed on it as part of our operational procedure, to ensure that the filters and the 'ph' value are both correct and that the right amount of chemicals are within the water to provide a clean and safe environment for all our guests.

We have never had any complaints regarding either the quality or cleanliness of our pool and certainly never any reports of ear infections caused by swimming in our pool either before, during or after your stay.

We very much hope that your ear infection did not cause you too much discomfort.

Should you or your parents wish to contact me regarding this review and my response then I would only be too happy to hear from you.

With best regards,

Jason Barry
Director of Communications, Elewana Afrika
jason.barry@elewana.com.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a five day, four night stay at AfroChic. I'm frankly at a bit of a loss for words how to explain it all, so I will start from the jump. We got off the plane at Ukunda Airstrip and were greeted by Joseph, our driver, with a sign. He promptly whisked away our bags and got us settled in the car with cool towels and ice cold bottled water. We arrived at AfroChic after a quick drive where we were greeted, by name, by the very lovely manager Zipporah. She was incredibly welcoming and immediately had us served some sparkling wine and nibbles. We took a walk to see the beach, had a bite to eat then went to our room to unpack and change. Our room (Ocean Gift) was so beautiful and spacious. We had a big bed, lots of storage, a sitting area and a balcony with a view of the sea. And I should mention, excellent air conditioning (important!). I love the decor at AfroChic - it is definitively African and beachy all at the same time. Someone put a lot of time and thought into making it as comfortable but as elegant as possible.

The hotel itself is on the smaller side - only 10 rooms and it was only about half full when we checked in, though full when we left, so it's very intimate and cozy. It was also really fun socializing with most of the other guests who were all really interesting people! Another thing to note is that with the exception of family weekends, there are no children there so it is super quiet and peaceful. There is a gorgeous pool and lots of places for guests to lounge and relax - whether on loungers or the huge day beds by the beach (my personal favorite). Speaking of relaxing, since full board is included in your room, you get to decide the when, where and what about your meals. There is no set meal time (hurray!!!) which we absolutely loved since sometimes we get up early and sometimes we like to sleep in and you can adjust according to how you feel that day. Furthermore, the food was spectacular. I am going to have to spend some serious time at the gym working off this trip due to the absolutely divine creations of Chef Alphonse and his staff. The wait staff, John and Donald primarily, were really attentive without being intrusive.

Zipporah and Doris at the front desk were so lovely about arranging trips and excursions for us - whether it was just a brief trip to the chemist, a massage or an all day deep sea fishing excursion. They even arranged for coffee to be brought to our room with our 5am wake up call on the day we went fishing! And speaking of our fishing trip, we lucked out and came back with two big dorado and Chef Alphonse made us a gigantic, delicious plate of mahi mahi for dinner that night. The beauty of AfroChic is that you have the option of doing active things or you can just lounge by the ocean all day long if you wish. It was unlike any other place I've ever stayed just because it was so free, so welcoming and so incredibly relaxing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ocean!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to AfroChic Diani? Share your experiences!