“Exquiste, exquiste, exquiste!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AfroChic Diani

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diani Beach
AfroChic Diani
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Golden Beach Road, Diani Beach, Ukunda 80400, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 30 hotels in Diani Beach
Nairobi, Kenya
“Exquiste, exquiste, exquiste!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a five day, four night stay at AfroChic. I'm frankly at a bit of a loss for words how to explain it all, so I will start from the jump. We got off the plane at Ukunda Airstrip and were greeted by Joseph, our driver, with a sign. He promptly whisked away our bags and got us settled in the car with cool towels and ice cold bottled water. We arrived at AfroChic after a quick drive where we were greeted, by name, by the very lovely manager Zipporah. She was incredibly welcoming and immediately had us served some sparkling wine and nibbles. We took a walk to see the beach, had a bite to eat then went to our room to unpack and change. Our room (Ocean Gift) was so beautiful and spacious. We had a big bed, lots of storage, a sitting area and a balcony with a view of the sea. And I should mention, excellent air conditioning (important!). I love the decor at AfroChic - it is definitively African and beachy all at the same time. Someone put a lot of time and thought into making it as comfortable but as elegant as possible.

The hotel itself is on the smaller side - only 10 rooms and it was only about half full when we checked in, though full when we left, so it's very intimate and cozy. It was also really fun socializing with most of the other guests who were all really interesting people! Another thing to note is that with the exception of family weekends, there are no children there so it is super quiet and peaceful. There is a gorgeous pool and lots of places for guests to lounge and relax - whether on loungers or the huge day beds by the beach (my personal favorite). Speaking of relaxing, since full board is included in your room, you get to decide the when, where and what about your meals. There is no set meal time (hurray!!!) which we absolutely loved since sometimes we get up early and sometimes we like to sleep in and you can adjust according to how you feel that day. Furthermore, the food was spectacular. I am going to have to spend some serious time at the gym working off this trip due to the absolutely divine creations of Chef Alphonse and his staff. The wait staff, John and Donald primarily, were really attentive without being intrusive.

Zipporah and Doris at the front desk were so lovely about arranging trips and excursions for us - whether it was just a brief trip to the chemist, a massage or an all day deep sea fishing excursion. They even arranged for coffee to be brought to our room with our 5am wake up call on the day we went fishing! And speaking of our fishing trip, we lucked out and came back with two big dorado and Chef Alphonse made us a gigantic, delicious plate of mahi mahi for dinner that night. The beauty of AfroChic is that you have the option of doing active things or you can just lounge by the ocean all day long if you wish. It was unlike any other place I've ever stayed just because it was so free, so welcoming and so incredibly relaxing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ocean!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is one of the best rated hotels in Africa and certainly the best boutique hotel in Kenya. The hotel makes its best to tailor your stay around you and your needs. They have a huge menu to choose from that covers every taste and certainly you will find whatever you want. They can also add whatever you want if you gave them enough notice. The hotel is a small building that has few rooms so not that much company, when we stayed there were only five rooms filled. The pool is great and the hotel is directly on the shore so you have the best view of the ocean. I loved the beds on the sand so we enjoyed relaxing on the sand so much. The hotel serves three meals and 5 o'clock tea so plenty of food of excellent taste. This is a remarkable experience that we don;t think we can find anywhere else...

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are ocean view so ask for one
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Do you want a perfect place to spend a vacation while enjoying one of Kenya’s most beautiful beaches? Definitely stay at AfroChic! My wife and I just returned from four days in this quiet beach-front paradise. Arriving at this cozy ten-room hotel, you’re welcomed warmly by the manager or one of the gracious staff members. The rooms are tastefully and elegantly decorated with a mix of modern amenities and local themes. The front yard contains a large pool, a naturally shaded dining area, and a variety of covered swinging beds, lounging nooks, and tanning chairs. All meals are a la carte with a wide variety of delicious appetizers, entrees, and desserts to choose from when composing your three-course meals. The special evening meal provides a perfect conclusion to a relaxing day. With the soothing roar of waves breaking on the beach and the soft wind rustling through trees as background, you dine at tables set with romantic candlelight among silhouetted coconut palms under the stars. One of the nicest things about AfroChic is the superb service. A cadre of courteous, motivated, and well trained staff attends to your every desire with quickness and class. They know when to be present and when to be unseen—a rare, but welcomed talent. It was very difficult to leave AfroChic because this unique hotel felt as comfortable as home, but with five-star rooms, consistently delicious meals, and impeccable service. I’d go back in a heartbeat—it’s that good!

Room Tip: Ask fir the Punda Malia suite--it's wonderful!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

AFROCHICHOLIC! That is what I have become after staying there. I have been travelling frequently and finally managed some "ME" time. Decided, I needed the chill out time and go away to "my home-away-from-home."

Having stayed there previously I took a break of 4 nights, 5 days this time.

Arriving at the main gate of the premises, I was greeted by a very familiar security guard with a smile on his face and the warm welcome.

Once inside the hotel the usual Afrochic Hospitality started. I did notice some nice changes to the premises. The garden has been well maintained and very relaxing to walk around, the new addition on the side of having a small boutique with some really good quality stuff to take home.

I was greeted by the Manager for some welcome refreshments by the pool. Had to tell him that it was good to be back home and I see another familiar face, Donald. He comes over to say hi and welcome back. I do feel at home here.

The room was very nice with all the comfort of RELAXATION kept in mind, spacious with a large balcony over looking the breezy ocean.

As always, the food is amazing, prepared fresh and dine at your leisure is great. The chef was happy to prepare a different meal and the very fresh juices.

Try the sun-downer DAWA! Its addictive! And the bar has had a make over. The day swing beds are a great way to spend the day gazing over the beach or jump in the pool to cool down.

My days went so fast but I was energised and felt spoilt for the few days of my stay there. I did not want to leave!

I cannot wait for my next time there. The staff and the approach to the guests of making them feel at home is something special which makes me want to come back again and again!

I hope to be back soon. Thank you Mr. Manager and the team for making me feel at home again!

Room Tip: Ocean facing room to enjoy the view of the ocean!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

AfroChic is far the most impressive hotels I have been to in south coast. The staff were friendly and so organized. The rooms were to die for, spacious and meticulously arranged to the last detail. I will definitely go back.. its heaven on earth.

Room Tip: Junior suite was beautiful with the view of the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Afrochic Diani is truly heaven. From the moment we arrived and were greeted, not at a reception desk, but seated on beautiful couches, given iced-water, lavender soaked wash towels, and served fresh-squeezed passion fruit juice, everything was perfect. Every room is spacious, beautifully decorated and meticulously clean. We enjoyed massages in our room, but, for the most part, we spent our days on the large, wonderfully comfortable, beds under canopies that look out over the pristine Indian Ocean. The service is impeccable. And just when you don't think it can get any better, the food is some of the best we've experienced anywhere in the world. I only wish we had stayed longer.

Room Tip: The garden room has only a small balcony - not facing the ocean - and may be noisy as it's at th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Perfect eye for detail, without it ever being 'too much' or fake! Great rooms, great beds, great food, great showers, great swimming pool, great location, great staff, everything great... These people understand hospitality! Thanks!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to AfroChic Diani? Share your experiences!