“Great Resort...service to improve in some area” 4 of 5 stars

The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Navarino Dunes | Costa Navarino, 24001, Greece   |
Ranked #9 of 73 hotels in Messenia Region
Italy
“Great Resort...service to improve in some area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

To start this review I can easily say that Costa Navarino is our favourite beach resort in Europe. Experienced travellers are well aware of the very few good beach resort around Europe: well, you now have one that is excellent in the hardware and natural setting. It could be easily become the most child friendly resort in the known universe if they improve some glitches (some serious one) in service.

Westin Costa Navarino is settled in a fantastic natural environment south of Peloponneso. The resort is built on a beach front hill softly degradating towards the sea with the Messinian hills full of secular olive threes as a background. The setting is fabolous and it is really out of the beaten track. I got there driving on a saturday of August from Patras and virtually met no cars on my way there.

I will not spend too much time describing the hotel as it will take just too long. Trust me it is of excellent quality and no money have been saved in this respect. Grounds are very good and very well mantained. Decoration are first quality and I noted lot of top brands in the furniture both of indoor and outdoor. They have done a great job even in macro and micro architecture.

The resort has almost the dimension of a small village and you really enjoy your time with a variety of in-house option/activities if you so wish. You got everything! Aquapark, pools, gym, indoor pools, game rooms, golf, scuba, kitesurf, agora and shops....I really reccomend to have a deep look to the hotel website as it will take forever to describe it here. As well they have a large selection of restaurants (approx ten I believe) that are more then acceptable and usually good in service (a part one or two slow dinner); the only (real) bad experience we had in terms of food was the arabian restaurant. We thought it was so lower compared to all other restaurants that we really feel to reccomend to the management to have a look at it not because our experience there was unfortunate but because the general standard there seems to be really low.
Coctails to the Japanese place are to die for...among the best I have ever experienced and it is a pity they cannot replicate those starndard all over the resort. Those coctails were made so well that it was enough to bring me there every evening at sunset to have one or two while watching the sun disappearing in the blu horizont. The food as well is ok at the Japanese restaurant.
We have been at the resort for the three most busy week of the year (middle of august) and never had a problem to find a free table in any restaurant. They usually do their best to accomodate you.
Same goes for beach bed and umbrella....this resort has a great proportion of facilities and guests so even if it was maxed out during our stay we never felt it was too busy anywhere (beach, pools, restaurants)....maybe at breakfast you had to watch around a minute or two for a table...but that was it.

We want to reccomend two or three field of improvement:
beach/pool service: almost not exsisting. Nobody ever show up to take order and forget about someone to place your towels...They might get there but at the moment this is just not exsisting. Some waiters goes around only at the american dinner place close to the acquapark. The bizzare fact is that they have excellent facilities even for this...every umbrella everywhere is equiped with a "service on call" button...but nobody ever will answer your call...
Terapist at the spa: they have a great spa again in terms of facilities but the quality they provide is absolutely to improve in all aspects. Spa Pools were, at the best, tiepid when they were supposed to be warmed up a bit more...and the two massages my and my wife got were bad. I really reccomend the management to improve this as it is, at least for us, an important aspect of our vacation....me and my wife we usually get a massage each every other day. We got only one each for the whole 21 days and that means the resort has lost only with us 2000/3000 euro of revenue given the poor quality provided in treatments.
BabyClub: They have two based on age. While we cannot comment on the commitment of the staff, we found the whole organization a bit soulless...it is like the team just run basic programs the whole day...they are children, sometimes you should forget about "rules" and search for alchimy with children...it is all they need to be happy. That said the two facilities cocoon and sandcastle are nice but unfortunately they had no "italian" speaking staff in sandcastle (but there was one at cocoon) which we found bizarre given the large number of Italian guest there were.
They should have at least one adult only pool and one adult only restaurant...there are so many that we (family with children) will not miss one option and it will make happy (I suppose) many guest.
The Icecream place should learn how to put more then one flavour scoop on a cup/cone. Really a pity because the quality of the icecream shop was indeed good.
Finally, the housekkeping should improve in terms of guest response...I will not go far to say that they didn't care, but they can definitively do better especially in providing regular daily cleaning, turndown service, minibar replenishment.
The room in front of my balcony had the whole surface of part of the balcony full (and increasing daily) of birds fecis and this was not clean for the whole time of my stay (three weeks).

I would like to close this review to note that I have been focusing on negative aspect to improve only because I really like this place, I will probably be back (especially if they improve quality treatments at spa) and I am reccomending it to many friends that's why it is important they understand they have a great resorts and with more effort they can really make a difference.
I found the resort rates very competitive given the quality provided.
A last mention to the fantastic sea and beach....never seen anywhere in Europe in August(maybe just some part of Sardinia) such a beatiful beach almost two km long and 300 mt deep with no one on it a part the resort guest...and the Ionian sea was so clean and clear!

Reccomended Room: Infinity Grand Suite sea front
Reccomended Restaurant: Japanese / Flame
Reccomended Coctail bar: Japanese
Reccomended in-house activity: Kite Surf if you are for thrilling...centre it is placed some hundred meters sideaway on the resort beach where Mrs and Misses body fantastic create a nice environment for water sport (surf and kitesurf)
Reccomended Pool: for adult The Romanos pool, for family Aquapark or Westin Pool

Room Tip: Big Resort...room location should be made based on priorities.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WestinCostaNavarino, General Manager at The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Er_Daddy,

We would like to thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at The Westin Resort Costa Navarino. We are very pleased that you consider our resort as your favourite beach resort in Europe, something which has been also recognized by all Starwood Preferred Guests (SPG), who have voted The Westin Resort Costa Navarino as their favourite resort in the category best family experience.

With regards to your recommendations about some areas which need improvement, we sincerely appreciate your honest feedback and we have taken into consideration all of your suggestions. For the beach/pool service, significant action has already been taken in order to improve the level of service and the distribution of towels. Your comments about Anazoe Spa and our two children hubs, Cocoon and SandCastle, are also welcomed and have been discussed as well.

To sum up, we would like to thank you for recommending our resort to your friends and we are looking forward to welcome you again at The Westin Resort Costa Navarino.

553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Kifisia, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a resort that makes all greek feeling really proud....
A great establishment with many pools and lush gardens.
I do not know what to describe firstly!You should definitely choose it,even for a weekend!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WestinCostaNavarino, General Manager at The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Katerina k,

Thank you for your kind review with regards to your stay at The Romanos, A Luxury Collection Resort. Mr. Vasilis Constantakopoulos had a long-standing dream to set Messinia as the new prime destination of the Mediterranean. His vision came alive with Costa Navarino which also involves a bold and forward-looking development of high-end sustainable accommodations and facilities that would allow guests from all over the world to explore the natural beauty, history and traditions of his native Messinia.

We are delighted you also feel proud being Greek and part of our story and we are truly looking forward to welcome you again at The Romanos Resort.

Athens, Attiki, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Spent 4 days there. Everything you've heard about the hotel is true, and then some. Rooms are luxurious, even the basic suite that we stayed into. Most comfortable hotel bed I've slept into. Separate shower from bathroom. Large LCD TV, complete with keyboard driven computer system. Ironing board, sensor-activated wardrobe light, safe, can't think of anything missing.

Most complete breakfast I've ever eaten in a hotel. Unbelievable variety, we ate three times and I think we've only tasted half of the buffet. Excellent facilities, with a number of public pools, artwork and local products shops and a number of restaurants, a nice sand beach, special pool and playground for kids, all within the premises.

Can't say I'd visit again, since our visit was paid for by the event organizer my wife attended, because the price is high enough. If you can afford it however, stay assured that it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RomanosCostaNavrino, General Manager at The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Anestis G,

We very much appreciate you taking the time after your trip to share your feedback from your experience at our resort and for posting such a detailed review of your suite and the famous Westin Heavenly Bed®! Our breakfast buffet has 98 different items on rotation, thank you for noticing and commenting on its variety and for taking the time after your trip to recommend us.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I vacationed for 5 days at The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino mid September 2012. As both of our parents are natives of Greece, we take pride in visiting our families and vacationing in this beautiful country.

The resort is absolutely magnificent and the landscape is just breathtaking. The property is enormous and has a variety of services and amenities offered to guests (golfing, walking trails, water sports, philosophy tours, bike excursions, wine tasting, great gym facilities, luxurious spas for those interested, beautiful beaches and multiple refreshing pools just to name a few). The front desk is accommodating and professional. Aris, one of the poolside waiters, has an amazing personality and we looked forward to seeing him throughout our stay. The rooms are spacious, clean, and had a great view of the Ionian Sea. The hotel is magical in it's setting, the land is enriched with history and is worthy of it's 5 star rating.

Breakfast was also amazing! The hotel provided a delicious and extensive assortment of options and we always looked forward to it every morning.

However, the same cannot be said about the remaining dining experience at the resort. The restaurants have 5 star prices, but not 5 star quality or service. At Barbouni Beach Bar, our server was in a hurry, not engaging, annoyed and indifferent when asked details about the menu (language is not a barrier as my husband and I are both fluent in both Greek & English), never made eye contact and simply dropped off the tab on the table without stopping or muttering a word. The quality of food was just as disappointing, however, the beauty of the sea was able to offset our experience.

We also ate at Pero Restaurant on multiple occasions during our stay. The food is decent and the staff is friendly. There are two types of buffets available (full or salad) and priced accordingly. After paying for our dinner, my husband and I noticed we were BOTH accidentally overcharged for the full buffet instead of the salad buffet. We brought it to the attention of the restaurant manager, Mrs. Arvaniti, whom was very polite and professional. She stated she could not credit the difference onto our credit card as it had to be done by their accountant during business hours. She would not provide us with any documentation of the credit/ mistake, however assured us that she would take care of the problem and the correction should be reflected on our credit card statement. She gave us her name and said to contact her should there be any problem.

The mistake was never corrected and we made several international calls and attempts to mediate the problem. We received one call from the hotel's accountant who stated he would take a look into the situation. However, we never heard back and felt as though we were conveniently forgotten.

Overall, our experience at Costa Navarino was an unforgettable one. However, next time we will enjoy our Mediterranean cuisine in Pylos (Four Seasons restaurant) or along the shore line in Gialova at a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RomanosCostaNavrino, General Manager at The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear VS,

Thank you for taking the time after your vacation to post this review and your kind words about our resort.

KIndly note that we have contacted you directly to solve the matter of the credit mistake for which we sincerely apologize.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Constructed in 2008 by a very rich Greek Shipping Tycoon this resort offers an large array of rooms and choices. Built in a Californian style with 2 to 3 story buildings. The best suites offer sea view and private infinity pools: worth the price!
The two18 h Golf courses "Dunes" and "Bay" belong to the resort: spectacular and beautiful.
And the Beach with perfect sunsets:
What else do you want?
We will be back!!!

• Stayed October 2012
RomanosCostaNavrino, General Manager at The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear sanchothegolfer,

I am very pleased indeed that you enjoyed your experience at The Westin and that you will be returning for another visit! Thank you for taking the time after your trip to recommend us.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

On Saturday night, my husband had an event to attend at the hotel and we decided to join him and spend the weekend over there. After a longer drive than expected (the highway was under repair so some parts were diverted the long way through the mountains) we arrived to Costa Navarino. The resort premises are stunning as they mix with the environment and also give you as sense of being in a small quite village of your own.
My husband had a double room booked but we were lucky to be upgraded to a suite.
We arrived around 3pm so were very hungry. We quickly checked in, as soon as we asked about the lunch options and decided to have a quick bite at their souvlaki place, one gentleman guided us there while our luggage was taken to the room.
We were supposed to ask the staff to guide us to our room when we finished eating, but decided to just take a stroll and find it ourselves. It was not the right idea as the place is huge. I would suggest the management to write not only your room number but the area it is close to as each area has an specific name. Anyways, I cannot complain about getting lost as we decided to skip asking and go on our own.
The room was very nice and also they had small details like the personalized welcome card, dessert board, fruit platter, everything.
We had dinner at their italian place (de Luigi or da Luigi, cannot recall exactly). The food was excellent, highly recommend a visit to them on your next visit.
One detail I really liked is that smokng is not allowed, which is very rare in Greece, where almost everyone smokes and forces non-smokers to second hand smoke.
The only negative comment I have is that we asked if a nanny was available for our 1 year old baby, and were informed that they only provide that service for children over 3 years old. I was surprised because the website mentions babysitting services are available, but again, they also mentioned that for more info we should call, which I didn't so I give them the benefit of the doubt.
To sum up, if you are thinking visiting, stop thinking and go. Try to go on the warmer months so you can use the pools and enter the sea, but even in winter I am sure you will enjoy it as it is very relaxing.

Room Tip: Suites overlooking the sea are very nice. if you are going with kids, try to get the ones in the fir...
Dear VamonosDeViaje,

We very much appreciate you taking the time after your trip to share your feedback from your experience at our resort. It seems that you were not handed over a resort map which would have helped you better find your ways. As I mentioned in another review, kindly note that that very shortly the new highway will be completed and the estimated time to reach the resort from Athens will be only 2.5 hours by car. In terms of Baby Sitting, we do provide the service but indeed for children below the age of 3, advance reservations are preferred.
We certainly hope to welcome you back again to our beautiful property.

Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

It is indeed an astonishing hotel, for all kind of situations. Excellent of families, for couples, for businesses. Unfortunately people working for it are not trained accordingly. Their manager has a lot to do with that. Examples: delays in restaurants, inappropriate manners or behaviours, wrong information-guidelines when they are asked for support. I am sure that when they work more on that, it will be the best hotel at least in Greece.

Room Tip: All are excellent and spacious. Many of them have a private mini swimming pool, nevertheless it is n...
Dear geokat68,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. Please feel free to contact us directly if you wish to pass on information regarding the reasons you were dissatisfied with our services. We hope that we can welcome you and your family to The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino in the future for an amazing experience.

Complex General Manager

Been to The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino? Share your experiences!