“Fantastic Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 72 hotels in Messenia Region
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We arrived at the hotel with some trepidation as there had a been a spate of mixed reviews shortly before we were due to take our holiday (a week at the end of August). However, any misgivings were quickly dispelled. We had a fantastic time.

We had a family suite with a separate bedroom for us and a sofa-bed in the living room which was big enough for our boys of 15 and 10. The room had two bathrooms too and room size was excellent for a resort hotel.

Breakfast was very good quality with a massive choice. It is true that one has to pay for anything other than normal coffee but if everyone ordered different coffees the staff would never cope (which incidentally the staff did cope to bring out enough food and replenish items as they disappeared). Normal coffee was just fine for me and there was a good selection of teas. My fussy eldest son found plenty of things to eat for breakfast and the non-fussy one had to be told to stop eating!

We dined in Inbi, Flame, Da Luigis and the buffet restaurant at the Romanos and had room service one night. Inbi was wonderful, especially as the kids stayed in for room service. The barman at Inbi made excellent Mojitos and the food was tasty and well presented. In fact we were given a free cocktail after the meal. Flame was also very good. Da Luigis was not at the level of Inbi or Flame but still good and the room service was of a good standard, well presented and hot (which can't be easy given the size of the resort). The Ramanos buffet was pretty good too with plenty of things like crab, prawns, salads, pasta, and many desert choices. The food was expensive but no more expensive than other 5-star resorts. You will probably have to book restaurants but we'd done that before we travelled - all of our bookings were exactly as we'd asked for by email.

The resort has loads to do, water sports, cycling, table tennis (free), gym (free), tennis etc. Plenty for boys of 15 and 10 to keep them occupied. There are 3 large swimming pools with plenty of beds, each with their own character, one playing music and a little more lively with a swim up bar, one quieter one and one for kids with the water slides and small kids water play area, so you can take your pick.

The beach is beautiful. People have complained that the waves were too strong but it was not our experience. When we arrived there were waves, but the sort that would make it fun. We hired kayaks and asked to be able to surf but the forecast was for the sea to be like a lake for the remainder of our stay (and it was). The sea was so warm.

We booked the snorkeling trip which was great fun. A short drive, a short boat trip to Proti Island and guided snorkeling. We saw some beautiful fish and had the added bonus of a little local history.

We also booked a cycle ride to Voidokilia which was led by a charming guide (sorry can't remember his name) who was also proud of its and the local area's history. The ride is pretty easy and we were lucky to be with some really nice people. The beach itself is beautiful and worth a trip on its own.

We found the staff to generally be very warm and friendly and service was generally of a good standard. We had one poor meal experience when we went to Barbouni (at the beach). There was a wedding due to take place the next day and the guests descended upon Barbouni and the restaurant struggled to cope, meaning a long wait for tables and food and a not very orderly allocation of tables (I'm british so queuing is important!). But that is a small gripe as the food was very good, I especially enjoyed the calamari.

The boys loved to go off on their own and enjoyed getting their lunches at the Souvlakerie. The resort is away from it all and feels incredibly safe so we were happy for the boys to make their own way around, play table tennis, tennis whatever. They also enjoyed visiting the ice cream shop in the village area. There is a large sports hall for basketball/football/badminton which the boys also did. As a suggestion, it might be useful if the hotel planned some of the activities so that kids would turn up and play together and they'd probably also enjoy that. The sports hall is air conditioned so it is a great place for the kids to get out of the sun occasionally.

One thing I definitely enjoyed was the relaxed atmosphere.

My wife used the spa for a massage and really enjoyed it.

We would definitely go back again and I guess that's the main benchmark.

Some other points to clear up from other reviews. We had no mosquitos/gnats or other flying insects. The gardens were in good order, the planting is in keeping with the local area so they're not nice tidy flower beds. We didn't struggle for towels, although after a few days the hotel became much quieter so it wouldn't have been a struggle for them, although it was full when we arrived.

We had hired a car because we flew into Athens from Rome. The drive was pretty easy in the main part but we left the end of it to the SatNav which took the shortest route via some very windy roads. Part of the purpose of the car was to perhaps explore some of the local area. We enjoyed it so much on resort that we never saw the car again until we left. We would probably have more of a look around the local area when we return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RomanosCostaNavrino, General Manager at The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear starty,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review on tripadvisor. I am happy that you and family had such a wonderful time at Costa Navarino. It looks that you made an excellent use of the facilities and I am very glad to hear that you will be visiting us again next season! In terms of flight connections, there will be new routes flying directly to Kalamata as from March next year, starting with Aegean Airlines from Stockholm or Munich! More to come!

608 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Although I am not a fan of this part of Greece, the way this hotel blends with the Messenia natural environment is what makes spiritual and physical relaxation so easy to achieve. Don’t miss the spa and the saxophone sunsets!! Breakfast is reach and the food great, plus you can find cheaper options.

Dear Ioanna S,

Thank you for your kind words. I am very pleased you enjoyed Anazoe Spa, our Saxophone Sunset at Anax Lounge & Bar, and our famous Westin breakfast. I hope to welcome you back to resort again soon.

Aventura, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Having already stayed twice before at the two Costa Navarino Hotels (the Romanos and the Westin), we pretty much knew what was in store for us and thought that our expectations really would not be exceeded, but how wrong we were.

First, upon check in we were pleased to see that we were upgraded to a suite, in part because we were SPG members, but my suspicion was mostly because we were returning guests having stayed there twice before. Once again, we had a wonderful sea view family suite with a tremendous amount of space and its proximity to the center of the hotel was much appreciated. I highly recommend for any guest considering staying at either the Romanos or the Westin, to request a room near the breakfast area and the reception as it does make the stay easier.

Unlike our prior two stays, when we arrived at the room this year, within minutes we were greeted by the concierge for the wing, Yiannis Kostagiannis. Yiannis was very friendly and professional in assuring us that if there was anything we needed it would be taken care of immediately. Although an often undelivered promise, this would not be the case with Yiannis. In several instances we did need his assistance; one time involving a special USB cable that I forgot to bring on the trip and within minutes of the request, it arrived at our door. In fact, every request we made of Yiannis was taken care of instantaneously and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that when booking reservations at the hotel, any guest request to be put in the area that he is servicing. Yiannis is certain to make your trip even more enjoyable.

Even though the hotel was nearly fully booked, we experienced no delays in service whatsoever. In short, while there have been reviews which mentioned service can be a problem at the hotel, we did not find this to be true at any time during our one week stay.

Navarino is an absolute paradise that should not be missed! If you have children as we do, it is better to stay at the Westin than the Romanos, but both hotels are wonderful and allow guests to use the facilities of either.

Once again, thank you to all the staff for giving us another perfect and memorable vacation in this fantastic resort. We are very much looking forward to our return next year!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room close to the center of the resort near the reception, but not too near. Ep...
Dear jbrown2665,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review at tripadvisor. I have passed on your comments about our associate Yannis who really made a difference during your stay to my team and to the associate himself who was most happy to hear your motivating comments! I am very pleased to hear your positive comments about the service in The Westin, Costa Navarino and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort next season!

athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed only for two days, a weekend away, at the Westin Resort. We booked with booking.com and were upgraded to a room with seaview upon arrival. What can one say... it is an amazing place. Grand without kitsch, beautiful domain with great architecture, using natural materials; a wonderful garden, carefully laid out pools for each taste; a spectacular kid's area and a magnificent beach. Greece as one could dream it. I do not play golf but upon seeing the facilities, I envied those who do. Then why "nearly" the best? the food - the restaurant we visited was too expensive for the quality it offered (100 Euro for two, one glass of wine), and the breakfast was not up to the standards of the rest of the hotel. Not that it was bad, there was a lot of choice and it is served in a beautiful spot, but eg the eggs and bacon were cold, the coffee mediocre. Nonetheless, we got the room at a discounted price, so no complaints. I really hope that the management manages (...) to maintain the domain as the founder intended it to be: a place to dream away. I can't wait to go back.

Dear hbbAthens,

Thank you for your kind words about the resort. Please note that I have taken your comments regarding the food into consideration for our planning of next season. I am a little surprised with the comment about coffee as we use Premium Lavazza Coffee. I am glad to hear you will be coming back and I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort and I would be happy to meet with you on that occasion.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Fantastic luxury resort. Very nice well equipped suites. Great spot and nice beach. Excellent facilities for children. Helpful staff. Only food is a bit weak. We don't golf but it's a nice place for golfers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RomanosCostaNavrino, General Manager at The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear mehtdis,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you and you family enjoyed our suites, Dunes Beach, our children's facilities and our helpful and smiling associates. I hope to welcome you back to the resort with your family again soon.

tel aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

the site is four hours drive from athens .its two hotel combined together in the middle there is a look alike greek viilage with shops and restaurants every day we ate at the souflaki shop wich was delicious yogurt and pork goes well together .
there are many swimming pools and pool bars there is tennis and golf and one of the biggest spa in greece all five star quality.
we had an infinity room with a private pool over viewing the sea.a tup 80 precent of the infinity rooms over look inside there fot there is no privacy ask only for sea view infinity it costs the same.
the kids world is amazingggg.
the beds r amazingggg.
the hotel is a true heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RomanosCostaNavrino, General Manager at The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear israeliontheroad,

Thank you for the great review, I am very glad to hear our hotel is “True Heaven”! Please note that as of next month, the new road will open and the distance from Athens will only be 2.5 hours. I hope to welcome you back to our true heaven again soon!

Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a great resort and the first of it's kind in Greece. It's a great resort for kids with a fairly large splash pad with multiple entertaining items such as a seesaw, playground, buckets, , etc. My daughter (almost 4) loved it. In addition, it has 2 different water slides, one that is pretty fast and another that is a tad slower. In addtion it has another pool that has squirters coming from the ground up for smaller children/infants. I have to admit, these 2 items make it easy for parents to relax as there are chairs all around and you can sit and have a drink while being able to keep an eye on your kids. There are also other pools catered to adults with a swim up bar, etc.

As some other reviewers mentioned, if you go in the late after noon there are no towels. When asked why I was explained that the towels get washed in Athens and that since there is no real control people take them and leave them all over the place.

When it comes to the Staff the majority were helpful and pleasant but you'll find both extremes. For example, at the Westin Pool Bar, when asked where the towels were on my first day, she told me they didn't have any, and to go check elsewhere. When I asked where, she pointed up the stairs to the other pool. When I asked can someone bring me some, she said No. Which if you've been to other resorts in the Caribbean or Mexico would never happen.

But on the other hand when I went to where I was pointed to, which was the upper level of the Westin Pool, and encountered Mihali whom also told me that he did not have towels...when towels arrived about 30 minutes later he brought us some even though he was on the way out. 5 stars to Mihali and he should train some of the other staff.

5 stars
When it comes to food, the breakfast was fabulous and the Gyros at the Souvlakeri were delicious.

3 Stars
We also tried Flame the steak house. The restaurant was not busy and I don't want to think about how it would be if it was. They are charging premium high end prices for their steaks, which is fine, but if you want to charge that amount, then the kitchen should be able to at least get the temperature right. We were 4 people and all ordered rib eyes, Well Done, Medium Well and Medium. Only 1 Well done steak came out, the Medium one was rare and the other one was medium rare. They got sent back. We also ordered a salad which never came and we ordered 2 orders of vegtables and 2 orders of potatoes and they only brought 1 each. When we reminded the waiter he apologized and said that they would be out shortly. It took 20 minutes, we were half way through our meal.

We were there at the end of August, so it was not really busy and I can't imagine if it was, how long the wait for the towels would be and also what would happen at the restaurants.

It's a great resort and if they put some attention to these items and train their staff in dealing with customers with a little more finess as in other high end resorts, I would give it 5 stars.

Dear MyOdyssey2001,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review and your kind words about Mihali! It is true that on some occasions we had a problem with the towels this year. Rest assured however, that changing our pool towel procedure for the next season to make sure we avoid similar occurrences is only one of the many initiatives we are taking. I am sorry and surprised that your dining experience at Flame was not up to usual standards, as we usually get excellent reviews. I hope to welcome you to the resort again.

Complex General Manager

Been to The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino? Share your experiences!