“Poor Food, Rude manager, Shocking rooms Not for Families (poor Entertainment)” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Caravel Hotel Zante

You added Caravel Hotel Zante to your Saves list
Caravel Hotel Zante
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tsilivi, Tsilivi 29100, Greece   |
Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Tsilivi
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Poor Food, Rude manager, Shocking rooms Not for Families (poor Entertainment)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is by far the worst hotel experience i have ever come across. This is my first trip to Zante and when i first arrived i thought it looked beautiful , which it was, I then had the misfortune of pulling up at the Caravel Hotel where we were greeted by hi, heres your keys and your room is outside, charming. After finding our room we found there was no cot , they wanted €6 a night and we were there for 2 weeks, no chance, Also the air conditioning was €5 a day. The rooms were bog standard and are no way 4* The food there was 90% of the time chips and the odd bit of pork, turkey or chicken or fish. Just cooked with a bit of tyme on one day or basil the next. Very repetitive. The entertainment for my 3 daughters (1, 3 and 13) was non existent,unless they played bingo or poker at 11pm . Also when going on to the beach were were charged €3 per deck chair and there were 6 of us a day. They do not own the deck chairs on ether supposed beach so you are charged to lie on the beach, what sort of hotel does this?> Also there is a charge of two euros for 30 minutes of wifi which barely works when you buy it. NO FREE WIFI at a 4* hotel wow.The pool snack bar was disasterous and served just pancakes , chocolate cake or a cocktail weener on a pancake, that was the selection. The pool bar would close at 5pm and that was it until dinner time at 7:30 . They had basic drinks there i.e one labelled beer, one labelled spirit and no such thing as cider. My opiion is avoid, The First choice REP said thomson and first choice have had so much complaints that they will no longer be working with the CARAVEL hotel.

Something which i would say is the KALAVI pub just outside of the hotel does great food, good drinks and happy friendly staff, They also have a great sized park with trampolines , slider bouncing castles and everything designed for children. This is no way linked to the dyer CARAVEL hotel.

Room Tip: dont choose this hotel is best tip
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I went to Zante and stayed at the Caravel last week. Jenny and Elena treated me like i was a VIP.i really felt special as I walked into the hotel reception each day to be greeted with big smiles. Nothing was too much trouble. Anything I asked for was arranged for me.
I really enjoyed the food in the hotel and is some of the best I've had! Being all inclusive I probably ate more than I should! Ahh well it was my holiday after all! Tony at the poolside bar was great too. Drinks on tap! What could be better?
The beach was lovely with adequate sunbeds. Both pool areas were very clean and child friendly. My friends two daughters lived in the pool and had so much fun.
The shops were very close offering a wide range of souvenirs and gifts. there are also plenty of restaurants and bars but found we had all we needed at the hotel.
I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Caravel to stay. it is now my benchmark of how i want to be treated when I go on holiday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel in May for my birthday. The hotel was in a great location however the balconies in the rooms housed bird nests which was ok but the cleaning staff never cleaned up the bird poo which was off putting. The food was not the best, the hotel claimed to serve fresh food on the grill but the whole week we were there they didnt turn it on once! The wifi is not good you have to pay for it and it hardly works! The reception staff weren't the best, couldn't get rid of you quick enough and the bar staff were quite unsociable. Despite all of this we met great people there including the entertainment staff who are fantastic and were very friendly and helped us have a fun-filled week even though the hotel let us down Dimitar and Bogdana you are wonderful thankyou for a great time :)

• Stayed May 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We went to Greece to get married and after a short bus trip arrived at the Caravel, where we were greeted by Jenny and Elena on reception who were great, and we could not of had a more warm welcome. We had a fantastic room, which was really clean and modern and well kitted out, with an amazing sea view. The pool area around the hotel is great with easy access to the all inclusive bar, which offers beer and cocktails, and Tony the bar man was a joy to chat to every day. We then discovered another pool a bit further down which is with the hotel, which is great for the kids and a place to sunbath and the lifeguard lena was very friendly and made effort to chat and speak to the kids.

The food was amazing every day, offering lots of different choices, we all ate really well and could not wait for meal times ! Evening entertainment was good and not over the top, and there was plenty of places to sit. There was also activities in the day such as Boules and volleyball.

We had friends who were staying in other Hotels in Tsilivi and they all said that there hotel was not as nice as ours, and were envious of where we were staying. The Caravel is in a great positionon with easy access to the beach and nice walks around to a small harbour. Shops are also not far away, and we enjoyed the horse and carriage as a way to get back to the Hotel.

We really really enjoyed our Holiday and the staff at Caravel made us feel like part of the Family. We are all ready looking to book up for next year.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view if possible
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

after a short transfer of 20 mins we arrived at lunchtime. after a quick check in we were offered lunch before being shown to our room. initially we were disapponted with our room in Hermes block away from the main building. Our room overlooked a scrubland carpark with a slight seaview. i was worried about security. the bathroom was roomy but more like a wetroom as the shower sprayed all over the floor and we had to use towels to soak up the water running into the bedroom.

The food was excellent and the wine great. Entertainment was poor but it was at the start of the season.
Everywhere was kept so clean. There were always plenty of sunbeds but we didnt use either pool as the water was too cold for me!

a small beach great for paddling but the sunbeds had to be paid for - only 6 euros a day.

we loved this resort, some great bars and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.We intend to return with our friends for another chilled out holiday

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Caravel. Hotel is lovely and clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We have stayed in many hotels, most of them all inclusive, so we know what to expect. The food was excellent and the restaurant staff were hard working, polite and very friendly.
We got married at the Balcony in Tsilivi, which I thoroughly recommend if you want to dine out with good food. Only a few minutes drive from the Caravel and thoroughly worth it.
The only things that let the hotel down was the lack of entertainment. Not everyone wants to play bingo and do quiz games. The greek dancing was really good and everyone was encouraged to join in.
The other thing was the sunbeds. I think this hotel should adopt the policy of not letting people put their towels on the sunbeds. We were there for 2 weeks and only managed to get sunbeds for a few days. We witnessed some people putting their towels on the beds at 6am, then going off for the day! There were young families there and it was not fair for them not be able to use sun beds while people reserved them and then didnt use them,
There should also be a policy to ensure that when guests come back from a night out, that they should consider other people who are trying to sleep, particularly guests with young families.
Rooms were very clean and the maids did an excellent job.
Tips for excellent food - The Balcony in Tsilivi, you will not be disappointed and the 'Wine and Roses restaurant' in the town - you will not be disappointed.
If you fancy a change from the hotel, visit the Kaliva pub across the road - friendly staff and good atmosphere.
Rating for this hotel would be 3 star, not 4.
We were a wedding party of 6 guests, would have been nice to have received a complimentary bottle of wine or champagne as a nice gesture.

Room Tip: 306 is a good room with excellent views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was my first holiday with my partner. I hadnt been on holiday without my parents before and was really looking forward to getting away. we booked with Thompson and first choice which will be hearing and seeing photos of our experience at the hotel.
this was NOT a cheap holiday, it cost me and my partner almost £700 each and after holiday clothes and spending money it had cost us over £1000 each.
We arrived to a lovely lady at reception who pointed us to our building.
When we walked in our first impressions were VERY disappointing. the room was so very basic. nothing like the online pictures we'd looked at. There was no drinking facilities in the room. Our toilet seat was all stained, there was a big stain on the floor, our fridge was all rusty and my lamp was hanging off the wall!!
We did not have a welcome folder in our room, instead the maid put one in a week after we had been there.
We told the rep the next day, also showed her paperwork that we had paid £84 for a room upgrade, well a premier inn room is better.
She then told me the room upgrade is the sea view, which we had paid for a limited sea view, which we hadnt got, instead a view of a car park.

They moved us rooms, up a floor and a couple of rooms down, the sea view was limited but was much better and a lovely view. the toilet seat in the new room was broken, again my lamp was wog eyed, the mosquito net was broken, and one of the handles on the draw was missing. we later found out that night when we went to lock the patio door that it was too broken, the lock was hanging out of the door. we went down stairs for breakfast the next day, told reception, but yet it took 3 days for it to be fixed.

the food is lovely, i can see why people say it is repetitive but at the same time it was lovely food. staff are lovely.

the snack bar didnt have many snacks at all and they didnt look very appetising at all.

My holiday was great, but i cant help but look back on my first holiday and think that the hotel was a MASSIVE letdown.

i went on holiday to relax and yet i felt my stress levels were on the roof.

I dont understand why it is all inclusive. i felt like every chance the hotel could get at money they did. I do get very home sick and saw there was wifi on the hotel website, id arranged to keep in contact with my mum through facebook. there was a charge in the wifi, i couldnt believe it, i thought in on an all inclusive bloody holiday!! there is a charge for air con, the safe and also beach towels.

we spent a lot of money on drink and food from the shops, as there was no drinking facility in the room and because it was so hot me and my partner liked to go sit up in the room for a couple of hours. the hours for meals are a long time to wait, esp when dinner starts (12.30) tea doesnt start until (7.30pm) and inbetween that all you have is a couple of tiny snacks that as i said arent very appetising and not very nice.

i didnt read the reviews before i went away because i thought if there is bad reviews i dont want to ruin it for myself, now i am back in the UK and read peoples reviews i can not believe the amount of bad reviews there are. i have been reading back till last year, and the manager has commented on some but i don't see any improvement from what people a year and a half ago are saying to now. its the same, and surely is a lot of people are saying the same thing, really things need to be looked at, at how to make your guests experience better.

I would defiantly come back to Zante again, as i had a good holiday but never to this hotel. i do not think it was worth the amount of money i spent, and i dont think it is a 4 star, on some reviews the manager has commented saying that they meet the regulations from the UK to be a 4 star hotel, im very sorry to say but when i get intouch with first choice to tell them of my experience and the photos i have, i will be saying that more attention needs to be addressed, because the amount of reviews that say the same thing isnt right.

i'm very sorry if i put people off coming here but i cant stress enough how lovely the people are in this town, anyone will do anything to help you.

also the maids are lovely, came in every day, with fresh towels and made our beds.

Lovely town, absolutely beautiful sites, esp from hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Caravel Hotel Zante? Share your experiences!