“Not a good experience” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Vancouver, Canada
“Not a good experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed at the resort (which is a great place to stay - definitely recommended) with family visiting from the UK and decided to check out the restaurant with promises of a 'waterfront fine dining experience'. Yes - it was certainly waterfront and an experience but definitely not fine dining. The service was slow despite the restaurant being barely a quarter full, the food when it arrived was lukewarm and the lobster entree was terrible, cold and inedible. Both lobster entrees were sent back.Credit to the server who complied with the request and had the grace to look suitably embarrassed.

Perhaps there was a different chef as we did eat at the restaurant mid-week during the shoulder season. Based on the pricing and menu descriptions I expected far better quality - however the whole experience came across as pretentious and underwhelming.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver
“Not Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We ate one dinner there. The dining room is well placed with a view of a small harbour and marina - nothing spectacular but certainly better than a wall of trees. For a large lodge we were surprised that we were the only diners in the place for the entire evening. As such we got pretty good service from the lone server, who was pleasant, friendly, knowledgeable and informative. The chef's signature dish is a lobster dish with half a lobster tail, a claw and lobster tortellini. I had it, and wouldn't recommend it. My wife had the halibut and quite enjoyed it.

Visited May 2013
Halfmoon Bay, Canada
“Best fixed prix menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Their winter fixed prix menu is a great deal and is sumptuous. Delicious food and classy presentation. This modern restaurant with deck is on the water with a great view of sunsets. Top notch.

Visited November 2012
Calgary, Canada
“A great place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I visited the Painted Boat while on a visit to the Sunshine Coast. It is a lovely location and the food and service were excellent.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, BC
“Even my non-foody husband loved the food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I saw some of the reviews in relation to the portion sizes and I don't want to state the obvious, but gourmet food rarely arrives on your plate in large quantities.

We each had an appy - I had the avocado and crab roulade and my husband had the mixed greens and the presentation and taste of both was amazing. The ingredients were clearly fresh and the dressings and drizzles artistic and tasty. For the main, my husband had the halibut and gnocci and I had the lamb loin and ravioli. The lamb was cooked to perfection and my husband really enjoyed the fish.

Dessert for my husband was the chocolate ganache and I opted for the cheese plate. Again - both delicious.

Best of all - hands down - was the service. Patty was warm and friendly, engaging and spot-on in relation to not hovering but giving us enough attention to make us feel cared for.

Is this a place you go and expect a cheap meal? No. Would we go back again? Definitely!

• Visited May 2013