“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aquatika Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Loiza
Aquatika Beach Resort
You added Aquatika Beach Resort to your Saves list
Loiza, Puerto Rico   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
st. croix virgin islands
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I loved aquatika and Loiza this was the best puerto rico trip ever. I will be visiting in February with my best friend. I booked through Angel Acosta of Atlantic realty in August of 2011 for two weeks. In february my friend and I booked through Joseph Rodriguez.. But this summer was great my kids and my husband did not want to leave aquatika. I have many pictures to share. There is a police station in front of aquatika and this is completely gated just a great place.

• Liked — The water park was great shallow pools for family. Very family oriented just beautiful
  • Disliked — Everything was great.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ocala, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

This is not a resort! They do not take credit cards nor do they have a ATM machine. There is one hole in the wall eatery by the pool that is open on Friday, Saturday & Sunday that serves basic food, beer & liquor. They open at 12:00 noon & close at 7:00 pm, cash only! The beach is not private, on the weekends they sell day passes to the locals to use their pools. The owners of the condos in which we had a penthouse and a second floor both had house rules that included not using the AC units until we where ready for bed!!! There gym had one treadmill, bicycle & 2 sand weight dumb bells. Our pent house leaked during the rain storm and the up stairs had a bug problem. Don't waste your money here!! Spend a couple of extra bugs for a better resort!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I read the previous reviews in TripAdvisor and they were certainly helpful in choosing this place. I can understand how some were a bit wary of the location because of the low-low/middle income neighborhood surrounding the property. However, we enjoyed the area immensely and would certainly recommend it depending on how you travel..

I tend to "go local" when I get a chance and stay away from the tourist traps. This was just that kind of place. It appears that Puerto Rican's own these condo's and visit them or rent them out to others. I suppose you could stay there permanently, but seemed more like a vacation spot than primary residences. As such, you don't get the harassed by vendors, guides, or whomever try to sell you stuff you probably don't want. There's a St. Regis resort 10 minutes west if you prefer over the top luxury, but the rates were a bit much for 2 families traveling on the cheap :-)

We stayed at unit 6203, a penthouse, for 8 days/ 7 nights for a ridiculous rate of $950.00. 4 adults, 3 kids (two families). So less than $70/day per family for a penthouse with a full kitchen, 3/2, and terrace overlooking the property and views of the ocean! Went through Homeaway to get their "carefree guarantee", but didn't need it.

GPS was a much needed tool as we rented a car. Less than 45 minutes from San Juan, we took the scenic route through Pinones provided by the owner, Alex, and glad we did. Beautiful way to get there. BUT, the GPS didn't take us to the front entrance, but instead to the back side of the property through the neighborhood. For the family traveling with me that hadn't seen the pictures of the place, I could feel the panic in the car. Small houses, people hanging out, broken down cars...basic low income area. I grew up in Jersey City/Hoboken, so no big deal to me, but can certainly understand others' concerns. Anyway, we ended up at a dead end to the an exterior wall, but could see the tall palms and contemporary facade from the 'hood.

Once we got in, it was like a different part of the world from the outside. Gated, immaculately manicured grounds, beautiful pools, playgrounds, weekend restaurant, kayaks, private beach, basketball court, gym...simply beautiful.

All the western stores like Walmart, Mall (Outlet Center), Burger King, Baskin Robbins, etc., were about 30 minutes away (again, have your GPS). Twice during that week there were festivals that shutdown the main road and the "detour" function the GPS came in handy, but we enjoyed the parades and people watching all the same.

This was also a perfect place to explore the Northwest side of the island. The rainforest, Old San Juan, Loquillo and catamaran to the Bio-Bay on Viequest (must do...repeat, must do...get in the water!) were all within around 30 - 40 minutes from this location.

Free wireless internet, Sat TV, Individual AC in the rooms and washer/dryer. We used it a lot...didn't realize how much sand you collect going to the beach every day. Beach towels were provided, but we ended up getting bath towels from Wally World along with groceries. There are restaurants around, even a McDonald's 10 minutes away, but much cheaper to buy cereal, eggs, soup, rotisserie chicken, sandwich stuff and make your own.

Traveled with 2 7 year-old's and 1 9 year old. They would have never left the property if we allowed them to stay. The kid pools and beach kept them busy all the time. Never too crowded, either. There is a lazy river, but it is "really" lazy...doesn't move you at all. But we were closer to the beach, adult pool...at least mostly adults, and 30 feet from the kids pool.

Everyone was really friendly there. Even the security on bikes (24 hour patrol) was comforting just in case. Weekend restaurant was amusement park fare, but cheap. Cheeseburger with fries was around $4. Nothing gourmet, but quick food perfect for arriving internationally and just needing something to munch on.

So can do as much as you want and stay busy, or just relax on the beach or sit on the rooftop terrace and do nothing. Star views from the terrace were beautiful, especially looking out over the dark ocean.

Never met the owner personally, but he communicated everything we needed. Even provided brochures in the unit for nearby restaurants, excursions, and shopping. Easy transaction and would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Search Homeaway.com Many properties, but this one was UNIT 6203
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

After reading some TA reviews from 2009, I was a bit apprehensive about booking a 7 night stay in Aquatika, about 20 miles east of San Juan International Airport (you need to rent a car). I dreamed of a quietly romantic, tropical getaway where we could just relax, swim and sun, in a beautiful apartment where we could prepare our own meals. In the end we forged ahead, reserving Penthouse 2603 through Alonso Realty in Puerto Rico, and I'm so glad we did. All my concerns were laid to rest. Everything was lovely and so relaxing. Perfect for a family vacation, too. Next time, we'll bring the kids, they'll love it. We were delighted with this spacious, well appointed duplex apartment, which can easily accomodate 8 persons (3 A/C Bedrooms, 2.5 Baths -- bathtubs with overhead showers, spacious fully appointed kitchen (coffee maker, toaster, blender, pots and pans, china, glasses, wine glasses, cutlery, knife block, etc) our apt. had a brand new dishwasher, A/C living-dining room, an A/C family room loft with big plasma TV and DVD home theater, washer/dryer, a linen closet with extra sheets, towels, beach towels, beach chairs and toys, 1500 sf of interior space and 750 sf private roof terrace with gas barbecue and panoramic views). The place is simply beautiful, the grounds and water park so uncrowded and well maintained. Let me say that while on vacation we made friends and did some socializing, visiting 3 other apartments in the complex, and observed that furnishings do vary a lot, because Aquatika is Not a hotel or resort. It's not for college kids on spring break. It's a gated residential condo complex at the beach with 5 pools including a lazy river pool, an infinity pool and a water park with water slide, hot tubs, direct beach access, tennis court, 18 hole minigolf, basketball and volleyball courts and two kids playgrounds. El Yunque, the rainforest, is just 10 minutes away. The apartments are individually owned and self catering (no maid service), and some, but certainly not all of them, are rented out part of each year, directly by their owners or through a realtor. Mr Alonso manages more than a dozen Aquatika apartments and responds immediately to confirm available dates and quote total cost, emails a contract which the renter signs and returns with a deposit to reserve. The contract clearly explains the total cost, no hidden charges, and includes Aquatika wristbands for use of the facilities, parking, and cleaning service after the end of the rental, and includes being met at the airport car rental facility and escorted to Aquatika, and having a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable contact person available to explain everything you need to know. It was paradise. We'll definitely return. By the way, only first floor "garden" apartments are wheelchair accessible, about 1200 sf in size.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Best place to stay if you are looking for confort, peace and no crowds, great place for families with chrildren, if you are looking for dancing and casinos this is not the place, but if you are looking for the confort of home in a tropical enviroment, then this is the place for you

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

We stayed here with our kids and grandparents. The facilities are great and the beach is almost as good as Luquillo. We did not have any problems and felt safe here. It was more out if the way than we thought. It is about 45min from San Juan. The town is very poor, and not somewhere I would recommend to walk at night. You will definitely need a car to get around. We will probably stay closer to San Juan next time. It is not a resort, more like vacation condos.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

I'll preface our review with a few things...we love Puerto Rico, actually got married there (but live in states), and have taken our 3 kids under 10 there numerous times.

We stayed at Aquatika the last 4 days of our Christmas vacation and it was practically vacant! I'm guessing about 15% occupancy. Maybe this was a sign....

Some of the other reviews are right on the money. I believe the worry about the gunfire comes from the Police station within 100 yards and they likely have a small firing range.

We were there for part of a wknd and there was no bar/food service of any kind and didn't look like this little spot had been open for awhile either.
The staff was unfriendly and security hassled myself and our kids within the first hour! We hadn't picked up our bands yet, but the kids really wanted to hit the water slide...so of course we hit the water slide. No joke, he was on my butt for 20+ minutes until I got the kids out of the pool, dried off, got dressed, and went and got them. I'm not bitter about that at all.... :-)

The room was fine, as advertised and clean. The little beach area in front of the resort (after going through the locked gates) was not an area where kids could swim. Water is too rough in that area, so pool swimming only for young kids.

Obviously the prices are good, but knowing what I know right now, the prices are high.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Aquatika Beach Resort? Share your experiences!