“Worth a return trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Camping Le Moulin Fort

Camping Le Moulin Fort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Francueil
Camping Le Moulin Fort
You added Camping Le Moulin Fort to your Saves list
37150 Francueil, France   |
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Worth a return trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

We came to this site through the Alan Rogers guidebook and were not disappointed. We were immediately made welcome and booked in for the barbeque that evening with live music. We had nice neighbours and sat with them with good food and live music which was excellent. I have never felt so comfortable at a site before, it was almost as if we had been there before.

The site was clean, as were showers etc, as you would expect. Clearly a lot of hard work has gone into this site, it shows. Our neighbours on the other side were German whilst those opposite were Dutch. They were enjoying the results in the World Cup more than we were ! Everyone seemed at ease, and relaxed, all very peaceful.

The Chateau at Chenonceaux is just 25 minutes walk away but well worth the visit both for the audio commentary and the gardens. It was hot though so ice creams and plenty of water were the order of the day.

Will we go back ? Sure will, we came away refreshed and exhilerated from our stayand next time like our neighbours we will use it as a base to visit some of theothe garden and chateaux.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

My wife and I have been attending Moulin Fort for many years, even before the current owners John and Sarah took it over. If you are not a party animal and observe reasonable standards, this is an excellent site. It is very well maintained, the staff are excellent and the owners are very helpful. If you push the boundaries, upset your neighbours and are a nuisance, don't come here because rowdiness, speeding and other anti social behaviour are NOT tolerated. John runs a nice, well tended and well behaved site. That's why I love it and it is my favourite site in France. Bob

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I agree with everyone that this site is well placed and paeceful but please note if you are in a tent think twice before going as we had our tent slashed at night in 7 places making it difficult to use the tent for future holidays. The thieves apparently have been doing this for several years and so this should be made apparent to all tent users on booking and on arrival if you still choose to go. The owners were not that helpful really - if this happened in an area of my responsibility i would be more than helpful. They just put it down to local gypsies and really did not see the fuss in getting the police etc. I am glad we did as we have since claimed monies back for our tent as it was no longer usable.
We are adults and can in the main care for ourselves - but the owners showed little sympathy and did not ask how we were faring after this. The site despite what the owners say is not safe and they have not made aggressive attempts to resolve the issue if they had why is it still happening? they should have warned us speicifically instead of hanging up little signs stating look after your valuables. If you get a choice do not go to this site - the owners need to prove work has been done before they can promise changes.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

My family and I have stayed at this site twice in recent years and we were very much looking forward to another visit. So I was very disappointed to read the reviews about thefts just prior to us leaving and because my daughter had a friend with her we would be pitching a pup tent next to our caravan so this added to my worries. However after locking up bikes and and valuables in car as we should do anyway (this reminds me the first time we were in France my husbands locked bike was taken off the top of our car and replaced with a wreck in front of the town hall in Calais! - so thieves are everywhere) I relaxed and soon forgot about the reviews. This site is in a lovely area within a beautiful setting. Pitches great size, flat and with some shade, informal kids club, clean toilets, nice cafe bar, great wine tasting night etc etc - lovely family site to which we will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We stayed at the campsite last week. On the way down I had had an accident - it was my first attempt at driving in France and will probably be my last! - Sarah, John and all the staff were incredibly welcoming and helpful - they REALLY couldn#'t do enough for us. It wasn't that they were trying to fleece us later - it was just that they are genuinely nice people. Honestly - they could not have done more.

Re some of the comments above - yes, it is a family campsite - the continent is more child friendly than the UK - get used to it! - but I find teh comment about the drunks VERY hard to credit. This is an extremely well run campsite and even the literature stresses good manners to other campers. As for crime - well - unfortunately it exists, and the best defence is to secure your own valuables, the same as at home. If you see the layout of the place there is nothing more to do. You can't turn it into a prison camp, and you wouldn't want to anyway. Be sensible and don't leave your brain at home and you will be fine. It would be a real pity to miss out on this tremendous campsite and the friendly owners |because of criticisms above.

I probably won't go again but that is purely becasue the experience of having a crash in Normandy has massively dented my enthusiasm for motor camping! It certainly ISN'T because of the site.

PLEASE do yourselves a favour and GO!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I camped here for 2 nights in July, very nice site, good facilities with nice swimming pool. Bathroom facilities spotless and I met the cleaner working there at 5am one morning!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

I would like to thank the reviewer who warned of the thefts here, as had I not read the warning and locked most of our valuables in the car we would have lost a great deal more than a phone and a pair of jeans.
The campsite has a beautiful location and the facilities are adequate, but we were robbed on the first night by a small cut in the tent. It was raining really hard so we heard nothing. Other families lost passports, wallets, one poor Swiss guy had his whole rucksack swiped from a compartment where his small daughters slept and the thieves used a knife to cut a hole near their faces.
The owner was helpful to a point and the police were called out but I agree he lacked empathy and we got the impression that he wanted to brush these incidents under the carpet.
If you are going to stay here make sure all valuables are locked away in the car, according to the police there were three robberies last year but it seems pretty regular. No one was hurt but it is a pretty scary experience especially if you have kids. We stayed for an extra three nights without incident, but these incidents will continue to happen unless the owners or police are willing to conduct a stakeout which I doubt very much will happen.
Please be warned - its a shame as it is a great location but they've obviously got away with far too much over the years. The campsite has warning signs and advises its under surveillance but it's not a good enough deterrent.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
thefts, Owner at Camping Le Moulin Fort, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
For the past couple of years, we have been subjected to a number of thefts on our campsite. Tents, predominately at the far end of the site, have been cut during the night by thieves looking for cash. We have attempted to deal with the problem by closing off the far end of the site, and installing video surveillance and movement detector lights. However, we believe it is a professional gang who sweep throughout the region and they are proving difficult to deter. Several other campsite in the region have also been affected. Rather than cover up the problem, we do try and make campers aware of the situation, while not inducing panic. Of the several thousand families who stay with us each year, only two or three have been affected by theft. We know that it is deeply distressing for those concerned, and we do everything we can to help, whilst also dealing with our own emotions of frustration, powerlessness and violation. All the more so as we have a beautiful campsite which we have worked very hard to establish and where the majority of campers have a lovely time.

Been to Camping Le Moulin Fort? Share your experiences!