“Haggs Hackers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aldwark Manor

You added Aldwark Manor to your Saves list
Aldwark Manor
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aldwark, Near Alne, Aldwark, Easingwold YO61 1UF, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Certificate of Excellence 2014
glasgow
“Haggs Hackers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

A party of us from Haggs Castle Golf Club ( 19 ),Glasgow had the pleasure of staying at Aldwark Manor for a golf week end from Friday 26th April until Monday 29th.
We golfed on the Saturday,Sunday and Monday and the course was really good and testing.
The facilities were also very good in the hotel and the rooms were perfect .
We had breakfast and evening meals and the choice was extensive and this is the first time i have stayed at a hotel where they asked our party if they wanted a food theme night ( Mexican,Indian,Chinese or Italian ) instead of the a La carte menus,a very nice touch.
The staff i noted are quite young in my opinion but extremely efficient and professioanl in all the duties they perform and nothing was a problem ,so well done to all the staff at the hotel as we intend to return next year.
I also forgot to mention the Spa which had the usual swimming pool ,Sauna Room , Steam Room and Jaccuzi.
Once again many thanks to the management for making our stay most enjoyable.
Oh and i forgot to mention that they even arranged good weather for our golf.
Stewart Davis
member of Haggs castle Golf Club, Glasgow

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Dear bpeglasgow

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following on from your golf break at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel.

I was pleased to read that that you enjoyed all the facilities that we have to offer and that the weather was good for the golf.

When you are ready t return please visit the QHotels website for the latest offers,

Paul Beswick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

As we had stayed here before I booked a break for our 40th wedding anniversary we had room 203 which was beautiful overlooking the terrace first 2 nights even with a wedding going on was fine but on saturday night a birthday bash for about 20 was in the squadron bar directly below us it got to 1 oclock in the morning it was very noisy and the door to the terrace was crashing constantly as people went outside to smoke we phoned reception asked what time that bar closed she said it was 24 hours but would send someone along to tell them to keep noise down, they didnt and they actually all went at 3 in the morning, we complained next day and was moved to another room it did spoil what was a lovely break but the manager did a brilliant job. I must say I agree with the other reviews for that weekend in the restaurant it was abyssal on sun and monday night you waited so long and then they forgot what you asked for the staffdidnt seem to know what they were doing we had to ask for everything twice we did hear lots of comments from other guests one thing was we ordered a bottle of wine it arrived we asked for a wine cooler they couldnt find one so got a small bucket filled it with iced water put it on the table put bottle in then 10 mins later discovered said bucket was pumping water all over the table did advise waiter I had a hole in my bucket sadly didnt get what I was saying by this time we were in hysterics at least ended the day with a laugh

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room 203 is over a bar but the views from that room are gorgeous
Dear ginger197

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following on form your 40th Anniversary stay with us.

Room 203 is one of our feature rooms in the Manor and has great views over the golf course but as you said this is over the terrace. I apologise for the noise from the residents in the bar below you and I can guarantee that the night team did ask them to keep the noise down.

As a return guest of the Hotel you are aware that service in the restaurant that weekend is not indicative of our usual standard of service and I hope that this has not put you off returning again in the future.

Kind regards

Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

On 18th April I stayed at the hotel for 1 night. I purchased the spa package which cost in total for 2 of us, £240 due to it being on a bank holiday. I was very much looking forward to the break as it was to celebrate my 29th birthday with my partner.

Overall the stay was enjoyable, but there were a few issues.

Unfortunately there was a mix up with treatment times. I thought I had booked the treatment for 5pm but when I got to the spa at 3pm I was told the time I was booked in for was 2pm and we had missed our treatments. I requested the hotel staff to check the voice recording which they did and stated I said 2pm. I asked if I could listen to the whole recording just to satisfy myself that this was correct. They agreed but found it difficult to replay the whole message and could only replay part of the recording. I stated that I thought I changed the times later on in the conversation but they did not play the whole recording so this obviously filled me with doubt which spoilt the experience. I had to call on my own mobile using on an expensive number to satisfy my curiosity which was a bit annoying. It was unfortunate I lost out on treatments on my birthday. To add to my annoyance I was not put on hold during my phone call at the spa and I could clearly hear a women in the background being rather rude. This was quite unprofessional. The spa staff stated that she had tried to call me but it did not connect. There was no signal in the area so my phone did not record any missed call. We had left the restaurant just after 2pm and sat in the bar 2-3pm. The lady stated she had looked everywhere but we were only in the next room and no-one looked in there.
The lady then did offer to move one x 25 minute treatment to the following day at 10:30am. We took it but this did mean us cancelling our lunch reservations in York which was very disappointing. I was called up at 10:45 and was in the relaxation room just before 11am which was less than 15 minutes in total- I found this highly disappointing after the whole palaver the previous day. The price list stated that this treatment should cost £25, this is a lot of money for what was essentially less than a 5 minute massage as I spent a few minutes filling in a form and changing!

I called the hotel to check the booking on 16th April stating that I had not received any confirmation and the response was to simply 'turn up on the day', I wanted reassurance regarding times etc and was told I would be given everything at the reception. You only get dinner time reservation when you check in in so write everything down as the only correspondence I received via email is the review email!!

In the evening we had a £26 meal voucher each- you will need to put extra in. We spent an additional £50. We both had a starter, main, 1 x sides, desert and bottle of wine. I think they were short staffed on the night as we were in the restaurant over 2 hours but the food was very nice and the restaurant staff very friendly.

The hotel and grounds were great, the weather helped! There is a pub a short walk away and the area itself is a very laid back with a great atmosphere. Would I go back again? Yes, but maybe take a bottle of wine for the room as the bar price are quite high and try the 55 minute spa treatment in the hope you would get a better experience!

In all, a nice place and good hotel and staff. I think they definitely need to send confirmation with all times over email as I am used to that from other hotels.

Dear 67Alison

Thank you for your review following on from your spa break.

We would like to discuss your feedback with you. If at all possible can you e-mail me on pbeswick@qhotels.co.uk with your contact details and a convenient time and either myself or Tony the Leisure and Spa Manager will be in touch.

I look forward to speaking with you soon,

Kind regards

York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We booked a one night spa break direct with Qhotels and had a lovely stay, but some elements of the break were disappointing. The hotel and setting are beautiful, set in lovely grounds surrounded by the golf course and gardens. However in many places the hotel is in need of redecoration, particularly our room (504) which was very tired and basic, and could have been cleaner. The spa was very nice, treatments good and staff friendly. However changing facilities were tired and not very clean or tidy. The service for lunch in the restaurant was very poor. We arrived at 1.20pm and the main parts of the buffet lunch were almost empty. When we asked if it would refilled the waiter was very slow, offhand and disinterested. When some bowls were refilled the food was nice but there was very little choice. Dinner on the other hand was lovely and the service was excellent. We had some drinks in the lounge bars which were very nice and buffet breakfast next day was good although the hot food was only warm. Overall the hotel is charming but attention to detail is lacking and it needs quite a bit of TLC. It was reasonable value for money but could have been much better.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jaxter01

I was disappointed to read some of your comments following on from your recent spa break with us.

I will be discussing your comments regarding your room with the housekeeper as it is not acceptable that you feel the room was not clean. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your dinner and I will pass your comments on to the Chef and the restaurant team.

Thank you for your feedback and despite the set backs I hope that you will return to Aldwark Manor in the future.

Kind Regards

Denton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Booked it last minute and really enjoyed the break! The spa treatments were excellent, our 15 year old daughter had her first facial and the therapist Pam talked her through everything she was doing! The pool and sauna were excellent, thoroughly enjoyed them. Breakfast was good, slight problem with evening meal, but the staff handled it very well. All the staff were very pleasant and really helpful. If you get a chance to go, don't think you will be disappointed. The grounds are amazing, we went for a lovely walk in the evening along the river which is easily accessible. A true gem in the Yorkshire countryside. Can't really understand negative reviews on here, but each to their own!!! We will go back!

Room Tip: We had room 201 at the back - sunrise and amazing sunset seen!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Wendy P

I was pleased to read your recent review following on from your Easter Break.

I will pass on your positive comments to Pam in the Spa and I agree with you that the grounds are amazing and the walk along the river at dusk is spectacular.

I hope that you get the chance to return to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa hotel in the near future

Kind Regards

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed here on a Spa Break as a b'day treat - booked direct with Q-Hotels and to be fair the overall package was really good...although not cheap. Hotel is set in lovely grounds and rooms look to have recently been refurbished, Spa area pool steam room etc all really nice too but....

Was really disappointed with my Spa Treatment - was supposed to last 50 minutes but only just broke the 30 minute mark and didn't think massage was actually that good which was a shame as had been looking forward to it for weeks.

Food on the whole was good - although strange seating arrangement in the restaurant where you almost sat on the same table as other parties divided by a little planter - we heard all of their conversation and they heard all of ours (!) - not exactly conducive to a relaxed romantic evening meal. Break-ie was buffet style but a lot of the food was just loop warm, the spa-lunch though was excellent.

Only other issue was the dance music blasting out from the wedding that was also being held at the hotel - probably depends on which room you get and it did finally finish up a while after midnight.

Think average probably sums it up!

BTW food the pub in the village is excellent and worth a visit only 5 mins walk!

Dear 53anc

Thank you for your recent review following your spa break and I was disappointed to read some of your comments.

I will address the treatment time with the Leisure & Spa Manager but the 50 minutes does include the consultation time. I will re look at the restaurant configuration with the Restaurant Manager to see if there is a better way to position the table.

53anc, once again thank you for your feedback and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Widnes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have visited this hotel a number of times previously and been happy with it, but standards seem to have slipped significantly. We just had a standard room, no. 309. It was ok, but looking a bit tired. We did not say anything about this, but felt we had to complain about the restaurant. It was really busy on the Sunday night, and we waited 40 minutes for our starter. The food was ok, but we had further delay for our main courses, which were overcooked. I had plaice, which was dry, and served on a piece of wood too small for the meal, and bits kept falling off onto the table. We did not bother having a dessert as we did not want to wait again. We could hear other diners grumbling too.
The next morning, just after 9am, breakfast items were very much depleted and not quickly replenished e.g. A cheese plate had one slice of Emmental, and the croissant basket was empty. We didn't want to make a fuss, but the manager did ask us if we had enjoyed our breakfast so we told him of our negative experiences.
On a positive note, I had a spa treatment for half price which was lovely, in no small measure due to the therapist, Pam who was really nice. Also my husband enjoyed a round of golf on the excellent course.
Overall, did not live up to expectations.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Jean E

Thank your for taking the time to give me feedback following on from your recent stay.

I can assure you that I have discussed your comments with the relevant managers and we have already changed the presentation of the plaice and put procedures in place to prevent the restaurant booking situation happening.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your spa treatment from Pam and that your husband enjoyed the golf.

I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future

Paul Beswick

Been to Aldwark Manor? Share your experiences!