“An 'OK' hotel for a couple of nights away but not a 4 star hotel.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aldwark Manor

You added Aldwark Manor to your Saves list
Aldwark Manor
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aldwark, Near Alne, Aldwark, Easingwold YO61 1UF, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“An 'OK' hotel for a couple of nights away but not a 4 star hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I booked Aldwark Manor for a 2 night break to celebrate my partner's birthday. When we arrived we were impressed with the drive up and the main entrance to the hotel. The receptionist was welcoming and friendly. However when we opened the door to our room, we were really disappointed. The room, which was in the old manor part of the hotel was extremely small and dated. The bathroom door didn't have a lock on and smelled very damp. The bathroom floor resembled that of my old high school PE changing rooms. Having spent 10 minutes in the room, we decided to ask at reception if there were any other rooms available. The reception manager was lovely and very accommodating. She showed me a couple of alternatives which resulted in us being moved to a more modern room in the newer part of the hotel.
That evening we decided to have a drink in the bar before heading to the restaurant to eat. The barman in the squadron bar was very friendly and polite. The food in the restaurant was alright but was very expensive for what we got (£15 for fish & chips and £18 for lamb). The second night we ventured to the local pub, The Aldwark Arms, the food here was much nicer and slightly cheaper although lacking any atmosphere.
The lesuire facilities here are ok but not what I'd expect of a 4 star hotel. The changing rooms and poolside were dirty and the settees in the waiting area were dirty and worn. During our stay we booked spa treatments at the nearby Oulton Hall in Leeds, also a 4 star hotel. I was so glad we booked there instead of Aldwark Manor as the two were poles apart in terms of cleanliness and luxury.
As it was my partners birthday I'd taken some champagne and flutes with me. I unpacked these and left them on the side. When we returned to our room, our champagne flutes had gone. I phoned reception who sent up some more glasses but I was a bit concerned as to where ours had gone. The barman who brought the glasses assured me that housekeeping would not have taken the glasses, making me feel a little silly for asking! The next day on checking out I asked the receptionist if the housekeeping team had seen them and was told they had them in lost property. The receptionist tried really hard to find them and managed to get them back for us.

Overall, most of the staff were friendly and helpful but the hotel is tired and in need of updating. This feels more like an average 3 star hotel, not the luxury 4 star hotel that we were expecting.

• Stayed February 2013
kharrisonmann, General Manager at Aldwark Manor, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay was not as you expected on this occasion.

May I thank you for taking the time to post the review and for the positive comments on the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff during your time with us .

I was disappointed to read that your room was not up to the standard that you were expecting. In respect of the damp smelling bathroom there was unfortunately a recent roof leak which has now been repaired and the smell has gone. I was pleased that the reception team offered you an alternative room to your satisfaction.

In respect of the food , this is a new menu which has been well received and is priced in line with our competitors . The price also reflects the high quality of ingredients we use in our dishes . The service and ambiance that we provide in the brasserie is a totally different dining experience to that of the Aldwark Arms and we have a higher staff ratio to customer .

I was surprised to read that you felt the Spa facilities were not up to a 4 star standard, as we receive many positive comments about our facilities and treatments we offer. Iam sure had you booked your Spa treatments with us you would have found them as equally as good as Oulton Hall. It was unfortunate we never had the opportunity to look after you in the Spa and impress you.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies about the situation with the champagne glasses. The housekeeping team did clear them from your room in error thinking they were ours but Iam pleased that the receptionist was able to track them down and return them.

I was disappointed that you felt the hotel was more 3 star than 4 star. The hotel has always held four stars against a strict criteria based on facilities and service which is assessed every year independently. The hotel is an historic manor house with all the character that offers and we have a new modern extension including the spa , so we have something for everyone and we cater to different tastes. However we appreciate your opinions and will bear in mind your comments when we next consider a refurbishment.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback as it is extremely valuable to us so we may improve our facilities and customer service in the future.

Kay Harrison-Mann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here as a family group for 2 nights for my sisters 40th birthday celebrations. I had contacted the hotel directly prior to our arrival to let them know this stay was for a special occasion. A special thank you to Jacqi, who organised complimentary pink fizz, chocolates and a card in my sisters bedroom. This was a lovely surprise and really appreciated. Also thanks to the barman who very patiently waited for the right moment to bring my sisters birthday cake into the lounge! We were also all given upgraded rooms, and these were very stylish and spacious, with great views and had some complimentary drinks in the fridge. All the staff we came across were helpful and friendly and eager to please. We enjoyed the swimming pool and jacuzzi, although could have done with the children's time in the pool finishing a little later than midday, allowing for breakfasts to be digested etc! Another minor tip for improvement would be more information being given to guests about the baby swimming lesson times in the pool, as on the second day the pool was cornered off for this. Also the ladies changing room is small and so the babies and their changing matts and car seats covered the entire floor! Had we known, we could have avoided this time. Back to the hotel, breakfast buffet was lovely, with lots of choice of fruit, cereals, pastries, cheese etc. Again, Jacqi was very friendly and efficient at seating us all, and taking hot food orders. The hot food was nicely cooked to order, we were even brought plates of pancakes as it was the day after Shrove Tuesday! On the second day some cooked items were missing off our orders, but when pointed out the waiters were very accomadating and these were brought swiftly to the table. Large pots of tea, coffee, and hot water were brought to our table, without having to ask for it. We ate out on the first night, and had dinner in the restaurant on the second night. The only downside was the time it took for the food to arrive, about 45 minutes for the starters, especially with children, it got really late for them to be eating. However, the food itself was really nice and cooked well, (except for a very peculiar tasting cheesecake). The portion sizes were good, lovely chunky chips, and the childrens meals were generous also. Great sticky toffee pudding and rhubarb tart can also be recommended. We also requested if one of the gourmet burgers could be chicken breast, rather than beef, and this was accomodated even though it wasn't on the menu. Fish and chips was nice also, and again, a nice large piece of fish! All in all, a very enjoyable stay, we would definately return, and thanks again to the staff who made the stay extra special.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
kharrisonmann, General Manager at Aldwark Manor, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Alimaty

It was fantastic to read such a positive review about your special 40th Birthday celebration with us with us here at Aldwark.

I have passed your thank you on to Jacqui and she was delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. I was also pleased that the staff in general across the hotel had gone the extra mile to make everything special for you and it is our pleasure.

We are glad that you enjoyed what the hotel had to offer in terms of bedrooms , spa and leisure facilities. We thank you your comments about the children swimming times and the baby swimming lesson times and we will review in due course in respect of the impact it may have on other guests enjoyment of the facilities.

In respect of the restaurant service and waiting times for food , we appolgise for the shortcomings in this area.
I have passed your comments onto the hotel operations manager and the head chef for review. The kitchen and waiting staff are all new into their jobs and this could have resulted in the delays.
We have been been training the staff and your comments have helped us to do this to ensure we improve our service in the future.
On a positive note I was pleased to read that you felt the food quality was good and when items of food were overlooked we were quick to address matters.

May I thank you for taking the time to post the review and I was delighted to note that you would definitely return one day and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Milton Keynes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Although we remembered the problems with slow service, and inadequate breakfast, from our last visit, we really wanted to revisit the area, so I booked a really good deal at the hotel.
The check in was friendly and helpful, and all the staff we met in the bar and spa areas were really lovely. Our room was very claen and comfortable, and having the heater in the room, during the snowy weather was a bonus!
Howevever, the restaurant was even worse this time! There were three people on duty, in the evening, only one of whom was a waiter. We had to wait 25 minutes for our starter, in a restaurant which was only half full. The starters were both good, but then we waited 45 minutes for our main courses! (Unlike the comment below, there was no apology, nor an offer of complimentary drinks!) I had chicken chasseur, and the chicken appeared to be a greeny-grey colour. There was some stir -fried veg and a potato dish. When I tried the chicken, I found it was full of oil, as was the potato dish. The waiter seemed surprised when I said I was not happy, but took it , and I waited 15-20 minutes for a replacement, which was all ok, but I appeared to have received the same piece of chicken, but half the size! My partner had blade of beef, which I expected to be braised, but was, in fact, served in the style of rilletes, and was tiny! The puddings were delicious.I had decided to pay cash for extras, but I was still required to sign the bill, and received no receipt.
The breakfast room on both mornings of our stay, was chaotic! On the first morning we waited a long time for my partner's order to be taken, then when it arrived, a full 20minutes later, it was wrong, as there was no egg. It was removed and when it was returned it appeared to have been kept warm - only just warm, while the egg was added! There was no Flora, or other alternative to butter, and I was told that if its not there we don't have it! The second morning we received our breakfasts at different times, although it seemed that my poached egg had been allowed to go hardld waiting for his breakast to be finished! What a shame! The restaurant manager seemed to have numbered the tables in her head but hadn't communicated the system to the waitresses - fun to watch, but not to experience at a four star.
When we left I was told that I owed money for the dinner, but I said that I had pad cash, so this was removed. Once again I received no receipt.
If the restaurant had beenup to standard, the hotel would have been excellent, but I fear that if it does not improve the four star rating may well be in danger.

Dear Pat

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

Firstly , I was delighted to read that you decided to return to Aldwark for another stay and that you secured a good deal. I was also pleased to note that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the room comfortable. The Spa as you say is indeed lovely and Aldwark is equally so in the snow as you saw.

I was disappointed to learn that the restaurant service had not improved since your last visit and we sincerely appolgise for your poor experience.

The wait I agree was unacceptable as was the quality of the food .All your comments about the dishes have been passed onto the new head chef and the service elements passed onto the new restaurant and bar manager . Iam sure once these two new managers have settled into their jobs then will will shortly see significant improvements in both areas.
Unfortunately occasionally when there is a changeover in management there is a small transition period where things may go wrong while staff settle down and this has sadly happened during your stay. However, please be assured we have taken your comments very seriously and we have already started re-training the team.

As you said ,the hotel would have been excellent if the restaurant would have been up to scratch and your comments are helping us to address the issues as we are determined to offer only first class service in the future.

We do hope you will return one day , so we may show you how you have helped us to improve.

Sunderland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Husband and I stayed for 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast. The whole point of the stay was to just relax and do nothing.

The hotel upon entering was very impressive, nice manor home and very luxurious feel to it. Reception and check in was great. Taken up to the room, on the 4th floor and our room was in the manor house side and was very large. The bathroom was a little tired looking and worn but functioned just fine. Lots of light throughout.

We weren't having and spa treatments but were going to spend most of our time around the pool using the leisure facilities. After asking for 2 robes we were told you have to pay if you're not getting treatments, which we already knew, but it still took the staff 3 confirmations that we were happy to pay £5 each for this. Got them in the end though. The whole spa/leisure area was well kept and very functional with all facilities seeming to work fine. Pool and jacuzzi were a little too chlorinated for my liking but that's being picky!

We had drinks in the bar before dinner and the service was excellent and very friendly. We had a table reserved for 9pm for dinner and the waitress in the bar took our food order then informed us when our table was ready. Unfortunately this is were things declined. we waited 50 minutes for our starters came. We were given some complimentary drinks to compensate. We then waited around 30 minutes after our starter before our main dish arrived. Food was good and very tasty but tainted by the wait. The other issue is that the dining room was freezing, not just that evening but everytime we visited.

Breakfast was a good range and a reasonable choice of cooked options too. Again service was slow but just about acceptable. We had similar issues the 2nd evening, although the hotel was a lot quieter than the previous night from food order to arrival then waiting between courses was in our opinion a touch too long. We slefpt in a little on our last morning and arrived for breakfast at 9.30am to find there was nothing left. No fruit, pastries, milk for cereal and even plates at one point. There were a few muffins left but they were very dried and virtually crispy on top!

Overall I found the staff superb, the hotel and surrounding very pleasant and we had a very pleasurable stay. We will return but the hotel needs to warm up the restaurant, both in temperature and service time.

Dear Guest

Thank you for feedback and for choosing to stay with us at Aldwark for your weekend break.

I was delighted to note that overall you enjoyed a pleasurable and relaxing stay . The staff were very happy to read that you thought they were superb ,as many of them were new to their jobs at the time of your stay , so this was very encouraging to hear.

Aldwark is a beautiful hotel and the manor house itself is an impressive building which has a lovely ambiance . Iam also pleased to note that the receptionists delivered a warm welcome.

In respect of your bedroom we have many different types of rooms from the new and modern to the historic in the old part of the house. We have refurbished many in the manor house to a high standard already. We will of course bear your comments in mind for our next round of refurbishment plans.

In respect of the Spa and Leisure , I have discussed your comments re the robes with the club manager .Currently we have a brand new team in this area and this is why they may have come across a little unsure about the charges but we have now re-trained the staff .
We were pleased that overall you both enjoyed the whole spa and leisure experience.

I was disappointed to read your comments about the restaurant service especially having received such good service in the bar.
The menu is brand new ,as are the team in both the kitchen and the restaurant.Due to the number of new staff members this unfortunately impacted on the service for which we apologize.
Since your visit, we have carried out a lot more training with the staff , plus we have a new restaurant and bars manager in place and the chef's have settled into the new menu. We thank you for your comments as it has allowed us to address the shortfalls.

We are sorry that you found the restaurant cold, whilst the temperature outside took a dip that weekend , the system should have coped but it failed. This has since been rectified.

Once again I thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back at sometime in the near future.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Enjoyed a wonderfully relaxing break at Aldwark Manor. The staff were all charming, friendly & helpful; service was excellent.
Room was full of character, very comfortable & spacious, bathroom too, although shower was electric, but pressure was fine. We were in room 401 in the original part of the manor house, which was lovely and warm with plenty of radiators, all switched on, overlooking the golf course with stunning views.
We asked at reception for a map of the area to go for a walk and were given written details of several walks of varying distances, much easier than map reading!
Dinner in the restaurant was superb; delicious food which was beautifully presented & cooked to perfection. It was equally good on both nights we ate there. The dining room was a little cool as mentioned by previous reviewers, but I was forewarned so had a cardi & a wrap so was fine, I doubt that gents would notice the temperature if wearing a jacket. Oh, fabulous, friendly service too.
Breakfast buffet was great, constantly being replenished so nothing ran out, with plenty of choice. (Hot food was cooked to order and looked lovely and seemed to come pretty quickly.)
The spa area was welcoming; again we found the staff friendly & helpful. Lots of ladies on spa days/breaks, so it was bustling, which gave it a nice atmosphere. Lunch was good as were the pool & sauna.
Lovely big comfortable bar and lounge areas, cosy armchairs and sofas, with a roaring fire just inside the entrance area. Board games are available which we made use of on a rainy afternoon - nice touch :)
As general observation I'd say that the older part of the hotel seemed to be much warmer & cosier than the newer part (restaurant & spa) so maybe bear that in mind if visiting during colder months. Our room could have done with a bit of a refurb, but I'm still giving top marks overall as I had such a wonderful time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
kharrisonmann, General Manager at Aldwark Manor, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Suzynwc

I was delighted to read that you had recently enjoyed a relaxing stay with us here at Aldwark Manor .

I would like to thank you for posting the review and the kind comments in respect of the staff , service and facilities. All the team have been made aware and they were pleased to hear that they had looked after you well.

The guest welcome is most important to us and we are glad you found the lounges comfortable, the log fire inviting and the staff friendly.

I was pleased to note that you found your bedroom so comfortable and indeed the hotel is full of character especially in the Manor House itself .

I trust you found a suitable walk from the maps we provided on reception ,so you could enjoy the stunning grounds or the lovely countryside around here .I'm presuming the maps were accurate as you found your way back to us safely for dinner.

The new Head Chef Matt Grabbitas was very pleased that you enjoyed the food . It is a new menu and he has only been with us at the hotel three weeks, so a positive start for him and the team.
We do appolgise about the temperature in the restaurant and we are currently addressing the problem with our engineers and we are hoping to have it all resolved shortly .

Iam pleased you enjoyed the spa , it is such a lovely environment to relax in , even when it's bustling with Spa guests.

Finally ,Iam delighted that you had a 'wonderful' time with us and on behalf of myself and the team we very much hope we will see you again in the near future.

Darlington, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We started going to Aldwark Manor in 2010 when we got an excellent deal through Spa Breaks. We have returned annually in late November and I'm pleased to report that the excellent standards we enjoyed that first year have been maintained, both in the Spa and in the Dining Room. The food is superb, the staff are smashing and the rooms are very comfortable. When we checked out the first time we visited, I joined the Q Hotels Breakaway Club for £20 one time payment for life membership & since then have enjoyed superb breaks in Q Hotels all over the country since then.The Q chain oozes friendly professionalism and is obviously keen to train its staff well.I find the bad reviews quite baffling!!!
We will definitely return to Aldwark next November as we know that we will once again receive a warm welcome and enjoy a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear S Barnes

Thank you so much for your positive feedback following your recent stay with us at Aldwark.

I was delighted to read that once again you have enjoyed your Spa break with us. The team and I are glad that we still deliver the excellent standards that you have enjoyed over the last few years .

Iam pleased that you found the rooms comfortable and the Spa relaxing.

In respect of the food the menu is new the and Head Chef would like to thank you for your feedback.

In respect of the 'Breakaway Club ' ,indeed it does represent good value for money and we are pleased that as a result of joining you have enjoyed many a good stay with Q Hotels.

We very much look forward to welcoming your party back in November 2013 and to meeting with you all personally .

Leeds
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

On arrival at the hotel check in was ok, however no offer of help with the luggage. We had booked a twin room however when we got to the room it was a double. I phoned down and asked if it could be twinned later on in the afternoon when we were out of the room which the receptionist said would be ok. Two minutes later there was a knock at the door and two people had come to twin the room already which was slightly awkward. We then went down and used the pool which was lovely. Dinner in the evening was extremely disappointing. When we sat down the couple next to us sent their starters back as they were cold, which wasn't a good sign. My soup was lovely, however the Ravioli my mother ordered was overcooked, yet cold. For the main course I ordered Roast chicken with new potatoes and steamed veg, however when it arrived it came with a mushroom and a tomato - and a dish of veg that I had to send back as they were stone cold. After asking the waitress where the potatoes were she brought some over when we had nearly finished the meal. Breakfast the next morning was also disappointing on asking if there was any granola (which it said on the menu, however I couldn't see any on the buffet) the response was 'oh, it's a new menu that started yesterday so the chef hasn't made any yet' surely you would prepare everything that you needed for when the new menu started?! All in all, the grounds, swimming pool and hotel rooms were lovely, the food just completely let the stay down unfortunately.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Shaninski

Please accept my sincere apologies that you stay did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.
Please be assured that this is not indicative of the normally high standards of customer service that we aspire to at Aldwark Manor and I will endeavor to address your feedback in my comments below.

Firstly ,I was pleased to note that there were aspects of your stay you did enjoy , referring to the grounds, swimming pool and hotel room . We try to create a relaxing environment so our guests can relax and unwind.

On arrival you should have been offered help with your luggage , this was an oversight on the receptionists behalf. We have now employed a porter at weekends which will resolve the situation so we can look after our guests better and your feedback has been given to the head receptionist to relay to her team.

We are sorry that your room was a double and not a twin as requested . Unfortunately this had been booked incorrectly in our system and we have since reviewed the communication between departments so hopefully it doesn't happen again in the future.
In addition the housekeeping staff it seems were a little too eager to make up your room as requested.
I agree that they should have given you a little more time before they came and I have relayed your comments to the head housekeeper so she may feedback to her team.

I was concerned to read that the quality and service of both dinner in the evening and breakfast in the morning led to a poor experience .I can appreciate your disappointment for which we appolgise.
The week of your stay was the indeed the first time that the new menu was rolled out. We had a new Head Chef who was finding his feet and the restaurant staff were new to the menu and showed some inexperience.
Iam pleased to report that since your stay food quality and service standards have improved considerably now the kitchen and restaurant teams are more settled. The restaurant service is now more confident with the help of more training.

Once again I thank you for posting a review .The points you have raised have helped the management team to improve our delivery of guest care to create a positive experience for our guests in the future.

We do hope that you will revisit the hotel again in the future, so we may show you how you helped us to do better.

Kay Harrison-Mann

Been to Aldwark Manor? Share your experiences!