“Just lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin
“Just lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Beautiful situation. Rooms standard. Some with beautiful views.
Extraordinary breakfast choice.

Most helpful staff.

One understands its a popular wedding venue. Atmosphere might be different at such times.

A gem.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Milford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

A few years ago a client gave me a business card from the Gougane Barra Hotel. I am most thankful that I had not lost it. When it came time to plan our family (19 to start with 3 others joining later in the week) I contacted Katy and Ned to see if they could handle such a crowd. We had an unforgettable two days at the Gougane Barra. Katy, Ned and Ned's mother were wounderful, treating each one of us as if we were family and the only guest to attend to. The meals were first class. When one of our group asked what was on the menu for the second night's dinner, Katy came to the table with pad and pencil in hand and asked what it is that we wanted. The family is well rooted in West Cork and were generous with their time answering questions about the history of the area. The geography of the area is spectacular, actually breathtaking. I am planning on returning as soon as I can. All 18 others in the group agree! Book the Gougane Barra Hotel - you will not be disappointed. Fran Small - Milford Mass.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I cannot praise this hotel, owners and staff enough, we had our wedding here in sept 2010, nothing was too much for them, food excellent, location perfect, they made our family and friends feel so welcome, it felt like they opened up their home to us, we felt that comfortable, highly recommend this hotel, Neil &Katy and all the staff made our stay for the weekend perfect we wouldnt change a thing, we should of stayed longer thanks again guys

• Stayed September 2010
Trim, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Even before I arrived, I was impressed - while booking over the phone and speaking with the owners, I could sense I was heading to a place of hospitality. My single room, which overlooked the lake, was perfectly clean and well equipped. I ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent! Breakfast was also delicious. I had a few drinks on the night of my stay and everything was very relaxed - people were sitting in the lobby, and the rooms adjacent to the bar. The staff were very friendly. My only complaint was that the water did not drain quickly enough from the shower tray and hence it got rather full. I wish I could have stayed longer but I will definately be back. Gougane Barra is a beautiful place. A real gem! If you like hiking make sure you check out the fabulous routes through the forest.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Strathmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Our stay at Gougane Barra Hotel couldn't have finished off our wonderful tour of Ireland any better! The serene, beautiful setting with attentive service (from Neil, the owner/manager, no less!) was remarkable. Rooms were simply and comfortably furnished, with genuine antiques and lovely views; our room had a shower ensuite, all expected amenities and had a clear view overlooking the lake and chapel. It's wonderful to see the care and attention obviously given to the hotel, as it's an older building, but SPOTLESS inside-and-out, charming and receiving a fresh coat of paint to the front windows when we arrived! Pride of ownership shows well here.

Kudos to Katy, Queen of the Kitchen, for a dining experience out-of-this-world, the food was fresh, lovingly prepared and presented, and beyond delicious!! A nice selection of wines was available, as well ... worth every penny. Breakfast was also one of the best eaten while on tour, tasty, generous portions and wholesome, healthy choices.

A MUST to make the trip to stay here ... we would definitely stay again, and for longer!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Nenagh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Spent two wonderful days here recently. It is difficult to put into words how lovely the setting is, it is really stunning. The food is just to die for it was only after we left we considered we had two breakfasts, two lunches and two dinners and there was not a pick left on any plate when we had finished. There is innovation in the food too on our first night I had chicken with a type of curry mash - yea sounds like it wont work but was just delicious. On the second night I had some halibut and my partner had lamb as always we tend to share meals. I thought my halibut was great (well it was) but the lamb served was just out of this world, I can honestly say I have never tasted better lamb.

The rooms are very comfy (only gripe shower could be better), the hotel itself is sort of olde worlde in a charming way. The staff there are excellent really friendly and helpful.
We really really loved this place and we will be back again hopefully quite soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Welcome to paradise . . .

We had our wedding in Gougane Barra at the end of April.

This place is an absolute gem in one of the most beautiful places in Ireland we have ever been to.

If you are looking for a perfect setting for a wedding of around 70-80 guests don’t waste your time looking anywhere else. The scenery is out of this world & well worth a visit for a weekend break.

The owners Katy & Neil went out of there way in every respect to make sure we and all our guests had a stress free couple of days. You will travel far a field to find hotel owners like this. They are genuinely interested in making sure your stay is 1st class.

The food was amazing also, we had called down a few months before the wedding unannounced & the standard of food was top notch, tasty & very well presented.

This is a great family run hotel with great core values that add to the experience. Perfect for a great Irish wedding, weekend break or retreat.

Would recommend this to anyone with any hint of taste.

Will be back!

Room Tip: Lake View Room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Gougane Barra Hotel? Share your experiences!