“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secret Garden Chiang Mai

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bo Sang
Secret Garden Chiang Mai
You added Secret Garden Chiang Mai to your Saves list
54/1 Moo 5 , T. Mae Khue, Bo Sang, San Kamphaeng 50220, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bo Sang
Red Deer, Canada
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at the Secret Garden in January of this year (2014) and I would highly recommend staying here, it was the high light of my trip to Thailand. The owners go out of their way to ensure you have a fantastic stay! Pi meals were the best we had while we were in Thailand; and she was instrumental in helping us decide what to do while we were in the area. The area itself is very interesting, we felt very safe, and lots of affordable things to do. I also felt that the owners went out of their way to help save you money NOT try to suck every penny out of you like you found down in the coastal region. We made the mistake of not letting them know when our plain was leaving at the time of our departure and Peter was more worried about us making our flight than we were, went above and beyond to accommodate. If we ever decide to return to Thailand I would a 100% stay here again

Room Tip: My travel companions found the beds a little too hard (I did not) but if you like a really soft bed...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
secretpit, Owner at Secret Garden Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Hey Carrie,

Hope you are well! Thank you for thinking of us and writing a review, it is very much appreciated.
I will pass on your compliments to my mum about her cooking, always put a big smile on her face. Thailand itself, and especially Chiang mai is a very safe place. We'd like to think we're very honest people. When we go traveling we appreciate it when people don't try to sell us things, and we only want to give the same honesty to our guests. If we personally know that things are too pricey and that you can do something more worthwhile with your money, we'll definitely recommend it. As for not letting my dad know about your departure time, I remember that day very well, he was very worried you wouldn't make your flight. I hope everything went smoothly though, with your check in. Also, your tip about the mattresses, this is something we've tried to fix. It's rather hard to find soft mattresses here, although that is rather hard to believe. Some mattresses have two sides though, one that is softer. ( I'm not sure if you told us if it was too hard for you or not, but please do so next time, and we'll try to fix/change it for you)And we've also added extra cushions to some. I hope it wasn't too bad. If you're ever in Chiang Mai again, and you're not staying with us, please come by for a drink. It's always nice to have old guests come by. Have a wonderful year,

Lots of love from all of us at the Secret Garden,

Isabel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Delightful chill out hotel. The owners and staff could not be more helpful. The food in the evenings is delicious. The only thing to mention is don't expect to walk out into Chang Mai. It is quite a way out but the hotel collects and drops you off at the beginning and end of your stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
secretpit, Owner at Secret Garden Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hi Hilary,
thanks for taking the time to drop a few lines on here for us! And yes,you are right, we are quite a way out of the city centre, 12 km to be precise,but we do mention this on our website. I hope this wasn't a problem for you and that you still enjoyed it. We didn't plan on having a homestay in the beginning. As you might know, my family was into handicrafts and it wasn't until we closed down our shop and stopped production that we decided to transform some of the workshops into bungalows and start the Secret Garden! But it's been an absolutely adventurous ride, and we can't imagine not sharing our place with people anymore. Thanks again for the review,
Wishing you a lovely rest of the year,

Kind regards,

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed a few weeks ago at this wonderful place. We are traveling with 2 children, 2 and under! This can present challenges and can be exhausting, but instead we left feeling refreshed AND had 2 happy babies! We stayed in the Sunflower house on the top floor. It is a 2 bedroom. We were also traveling with my sister and brother-in-law. We all had plenty of space and privacy, and the bathrooms are so large that we were able to put one of our baby cots in the bathroom during nap time, and another in a bedroom while we still had the family room to hang out in, and my sister still had her room. So nice! My 2 year old loved the play equipment they had, and loved hanging out by the pool. They quickly arranged any tour we wanted to do, and massages. The food was excellent! My children loved it too! Such a beautiful place away from the hustle and bustle. Thank you so much Secret Garden! We hope to be back again someday.
-The Hansens

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hello Hansens Family!!

Thanks for giving us "5/5" points, we really appreciate it. I can understand that it's often hard to travel with kids, so I'm very happy to hear that the kids enjoyed it and that YOU were able to relax and feel refreshed as well, because you are in fact on vacation-- time to take a breath. During months like August and December we get a lot of families, so the garden is full with kids running around and playing together. It's lovely to see kids from different countries, and who often don't speak the same language to be able to get along instantly and become friends. Glad to hear you liked the food, and the kids also! That again can be rather hard for kids when traveling to new places with new foods. We hope to see you here in our garden again :) Wishing all of you only the very best,

Sending lots of love from the Secret Garden,

Sausalito, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

From the moment we arrived at Secret Garden we knew that we had found an incredible place to spend three days relaxing in the countryside outside of Chiang Mai. Peter greeted us warmly and spent some time over drinks getting to know us and sharing his family's story. We felt welcome immediately and settled right into the relaxed rhythm of this beautiful oasis. Peter's wife Pai is an excellent hostess. She and her kitchen staff fixed incredible meals and generously shared the recipes with us. We had delightful excursions during the day and looked forward to coming back to this lovely resort at the end of each day. We wished we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Pam,

Thanks for your kind words, brightens up our day to read a good review. It's always nice to hear that our guests felt welcomed, that's what we aim for, for guests to feel comfortable and taken care of. My dad loves telling stories, and hes really good at it too, so I'm sure he told you quite a few. My mum was in the hospital for a week, but she's glad to be back home now and to come back to such lovely, concerned guests. It's just not the same without her, really nice to have her back on board, complete team again! We hope you enjoy the recipes--time to cook up a Thai meal and invite some friends over, maybe even snap some pictures of your creations and send them to us ;)
Hope you're all doing well, have a wonderful year

Much love,

Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

As so many have already said, this place is a gem and a well hidden secret garden. Without the signs pointing the way, it could easily stay hidden and secret.
We only stayed for 3 days and wish that it could have been more. I'm already making plans for returning to Thailand and a longer stay at Secret Garden. We stayed in Mandalay, which has a separate living area, kitchen and an alcove with an extra bed that we explored but with two people and nice weather, didn't need. We slept in the separate bedroom, relaxed on the deck beds and ate outside in the beautiful garden setting. We also met many of the other guests and made some new friends from Montreal and Australia.
The food presented by Pai and the ladies is varied and great. Although I can't handle spicy (my husband says that no spice would probably be too much for me!), I always had enough to eat. Thank you for the recipes I received yesterday. We went out and bought some Thai ingredients today.
As an added perk to a perfect locations, Pai arranged for me to have a Thai massage in our room. The massage was incredible!
Thank you Peter, Pai, Isabelle and the rest of the staff with the ready smiles. You made our stay so enjoyable.
We highly recommend Secret Garden as an opportunity to visit a piece of paradise.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Karen,

First off, thank you so much for taking some time out of your day to write a review for us, we really appreciate every single one. It's sometimes really hard to reply to the reviews without repeating ourselves, but when we say thank you we mean it with all our hearts. These reviews are very important to us, as we don't work with any agencies. So thank you again. The Secret Garden can be a little tricky to find indeed. I can't tell you how many times the phone would have ring before we put up those signs-- they've helped us a lot. Mandalay was the first house we lived in. I spent a lot of my childhood in there, and have lots of great memories. As for the recipes, you are very welcome. :) Time to whip up some Thai food! as long as you have the main ingredients, it's super easy, and you can always substitute some of the things. Hope it's not too cold still over there in Canada!

Sending lots of sunshine your way,
Kind regards from all of us,

Isabel,
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The secret of The Secret Garden is service with a smile & "going the extra mile". Our hosts, Peter, Pai & their lovely daughter, Isabel treated us almost like royalty. Nothing was too much trouble & every request was attended to willingly and in a friendly manner. The accommodation is varied & spacious with every modern convenience from TV, DVD player, microwave oven & free Wi-Fi to name just a few. For recreation, there is a lovely pool for relaxing on a warm day, a snooker table for would-be hustlers & many games for the kids. This is an ideal venue for families as the kids have a huge area to wander around where it is safe giving Mums & Dads peace of mind. Charlie is the resident black Labrador who is a great favourite with the kids as is the Myrna bird & the rabbit. The meals are freshly prepared in the large kitchen by Pai & her small army of assistants. The cuisine is genuine Thai; however, western dishes are available on request. There is never a shortage of food & everything is consumed with gusto. Ice cold beers & other alcoholic & soft drinks are readily available. The peace & quiet is another of the charming features of this hideaway as it located some distance from the main road, away from traffic noise. Life goes on at a very leisurely pace over here. There is an army of staff going about their allotted tasks, pruning, sweeping, watering, etc. Each in their own way is polite, courteous & helpful making you feel very welcome. If you crave the hustle & bustle and the nightlife of a big city then this is not for you. But if you seek peace & relaxation then there is no better place than this. Peter arranged airport transfers & excursions to many of the popular tourist attractions. We have just enjoyed 10 days here in January, 2014, catching up with friends from Canada. We could not have chosen a better venue. I cannot sufficiently express my thanks to Peter, Pai, Isabel & all those lovely people who work so quietly & efficiently in the background striving to make my holiday a memorable one. I will be returning here with my grandkids next January.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Bob!

I remember all of you very well, thank for for writing such a beautiful review. Usually people stay here for an average of 3-4 days, and even then it's hard to say goodbye to some as they have grown on to you and many times leave as friends. You and your friends stayed here longer, and it was sad to see you go after seeing you everyday for several days. Our staff have been with us for years, even before we started the Secret Garden, back in the day when we still did handicrafts. They are very loyal and hardworking, and we couldn't do this without them. When I read " thanks to Peter, Pai, Isabel & all those lovely people who work so quietly & efficiently in the background striving to make my holiday a memorable one.", it made me smile. It's nice to know when people appreciate every single person who works here, even if there are quietly watering the garden or just sweeping up some leaves. I will pass on your kind words to my staff, it'll make them smile. It's funny how you remember small things, because I remember that you two always ordered 2 black coffees every night after dinner. Also my cousin's daughter, Choompoo, hasn't had a pool partner to play with lately, so she just plays around the massive table herself, she misses you :) I hope the rest of your travels went well,
all the very best to all of you, we look forward to seeing you next year!

Much Love,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We were totally blown away with the whole experience at The Secret Garden in Chiang Mai
Our entire stay was more than we ever expected, in every respect! From Peter's amazing hospitality and kindness, he made us feel like honored guests and treated us like family, not like paying customers. Whatever we asked for or needed, he obliged with a gentle smile! He never hesitated to accomodate our requests, be it pickups and drops from the airport, to local shopping, to a doctors clinic or wherever! Every hotelier has some lessons in humility and hospitality that they can learn from Peter.
The resort is truly magical, impecally groomed and maintained, a veritable paradise on earth.
There is amazing attention to detail, cottages are unique, well equipped with all modern amenities and thoroughly fantastic set in a beautiful tropiccal paradise.
Pais cooking has spoilt us all with her amazing Thai cooking.
The lovely Isabelle is ever ready to help with her ready smile.
The staff are efficient, well trained and couteous.
All in all , an amazing place at an amazing price.
We will certainly go back doon.

Room Tip: We thoroughly loved the Tamarind, and the Sukhotai cottages, but they are all unique and wonderful
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
secretpit, Owner at Secret Garden Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Deepa ,
This really is a very detailed , wonderful review , thank you ever so much !! We are so glad if we can meet the expectations of our guests . It's great to be ranked high on tripadvisor , but some times it's a bit scary too , because we are never sure whether we can live up to it . All the more we are happy when we get a review like yours , it gives us strength and self -confidence . As you know we are kind of new in this business too and still have to learn a lot . At the moment we have to fight a bit , because Pai is in the hospital and her main helper in the kitchen has to stay home because her little daughter is sick , Murphy's law .
We hope to maybe see you again some time in the future ,
Thanks again for coming to our place
Peter , Pai and Isabel

Been to Secret Garden Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!