“Totally Upsetting Experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Kinmel Arms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abergele
The Kinmel Arms
You added The Kinmel Arms to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Inn   |   The Village | St. George, Abergele LL22 9BP, Wales   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #2 of 7 Abergele B&B and Inns
Abergele
“Totally Upsetting Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I had heard rave reviews about the Kinmel Arms so I thought I would give it a try!

I have to say I was incredibly disappointed and extremely upset with the nights events.

I booked a table on Christmas eve as it was my Grandmother's birthday. We arrived and were absolutely blown away with the scenery. There was a live singer on and my Grandmother was so happy as Frank Sinatra songs were being sang. They were my late Grandfathers favourites.

The food was very nice but the portions were very small and way overpriced! I remember looking at the menu and an 8oz fillet steak was £32!

It was the events after our meal that really shocked me! As the family got relaxed on the comfy sofa's I took my Grandmother to the bar to buy her a birthday drink. There was a man in his 20's stood at the bar in what I could only describe as tennis clothing! Shorts, t shirt and trainers! He had obviously been drinking heavily and was smoking a cigar!

I was obviously shocked by him smoking a cigar at the bar because of the obvious laws on smoking in pubs/restaurants and this is obviously supposed to be a very classy place.

I questioned the young man and asked him if he should be smoking in here. The man showed a complete and utter lack of respect and blew his filthy cigar smoke in my grandmother's face before replying "My family own this place and can do what I like in here!" There were obviously a couple of expletives included in the sentence that I will not repeat.

I was in complete shock at what had just happened and I decided to pass on the drinks, round the family up and make a sharp exit.

It was a horrendous end to what would have been a lovely evening and I can safely say I will not be returning there again in a hurry.

• Stayed December 2013
Kinmel22, Owner at The Kinmel Arms, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
What a great shame to end what would have been a perfect evening for you. We were present on that evening along with our General Manager, who was working behind the bar, and we all agree that a lit cigar would be completely visible and detectable by the strong smell alone. We cannot agree that the person in question could have blown smoke into your grandmother’s face. We have never imposed a dress code at the Kinmel Arms as we do have a varied clientele in this rural area. We do feel sorry that your experience caused an unpleasant end to your evening. We are rather surprised that is has taken over 3 weeks for this review to be written and also that as local people you could not contact us directly to air your grievance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Prestatyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We have ate at The Kinmel Arms many times over the years and have never been disappointed. Small menu, but the food is always excellent. Not cheap. But you get what you pay for. We have never been disappointed. Staff very friendly and helpful. Owners hands on and very welcoming. Building very old but beautifully and respectfully maintained. Highly recommended if your in the area.

Stayed December 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Well kept ale, quality food, interesting and fairly-priced wine list, attractive building and decor, friendly and efficient staff, engaged owners.

I never bother eating anywhere else when I'm in the area.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed here on the 13th; the first time for either of us. From the outside, the hotel looks small and really quite unassuming BUT, when we went inside it quickly became apparent that first impressions can be quite misleading.

We already knew that the hotel was beautiful from the many terrific reviews from satisfied guests and pictures of the rooms, restaurant and atmospheric exterior... think the TV adaptation of Agatha Christie's "Pale Horse" - without the murders!

This was FAB:
* Parking - easy and in a safe area.
* Beautiful, private, 'suite' rooms with plenty of space to move around and enough storage.
* Room accessories; fridge (stocked with fresh milk - and later, breakfast). There was even an iron and ironing board should you feel the urge to remove those creases (we didn't).
* Personal (but non-intrusive), excellent service from everybody.
* Beautiful restaurant with Tiffany-style lighting and tables thoughtfully spaced for privacy.
* Wide selection of locally-produced drinks - we tried many!
* Perfectly cooked dishes from a great menu selection, definitely something for everybody and as the food is freshly cooked, personal tastes were cheerfully accommodated.
* Breakfast table laid when we got back with continental-style platters in the fridge - ham, cheese, sliced fruit, yoghurt, cereals and handmade bread and croissant.
* ... but the 'Pièce de résistance' was the most comfortable bed EVER. We were very reluctant to get up in the morning, leaving it till the last possible minute... I wish I was still in it!

If I could think of one thing that could be improved upon, it would be the lighting on the stairs outside. If it's wet, they are slippery - and dark - so be careful. Just one other thing, the shower area in the bathroom can get very wet (it's a wet room/walk in style arrangement; take caution walking on the floor afterwards.

I wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel again; we had 'The Pebble Suite' and it was truly outstanding. The hotel and restaurant is rated 5 Stars ***** and the cost is in line with that classification. However, the accommodation and food absolutely represents value for money; it's sublime.

Delivery of the whole experience was exquisitely executed, with style and panache. We'll remember it always and hope to return someday...

Room Tip: Ask for advice about access because there are stairs whichever room you choose.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Just had a fantastic lunch at the Kinmel Arms.

The owners have got it absolutely right, beautiful old building, great service and food to match. The menu was perfect for a weekday lunch, lots of light options if you just want a snack - try the homemade coronation chicken sandwich! - and bigger dishes if you're hungrier. Everything was fresh, local, extremely well cooked and tasty. The cheeseboard of welsh cheese was superb!

I could go on and on about how nice it was in there, will be back very soon

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic welcome and not what I was expecting from the outside, it's like a Tardis. The food is delightful and the wine selection a joy. My room was a calm oasis and the breakfast fairy delivered a treat. All boxes ticked, service, choice, quality. Will be back

• Stayed September 2013
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

All round excellence in this elegant country inn. We visited the Kinmel Arms on 5th September . Restaurant has Two Rosettes. Excellent home prepared meals to appeal to all tastes. Good quality wines and beers on offer. Very good personal service from the owners. Comfortable spacious dining room and bar, maintained to a spotless high standard in ALL areas. See also Tim`s talented artwork on display. Many other reviewing websites report the Kinmel Arms as of very high standard. As its very close to where we live we haven't tried the accommodation. Those that have stayed have reported as excellent. Parking easy at this country inn on quiet level unadopted road.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Kinmel Arms? Share your experiences!