“A romantic hideaway in paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Matangi Private Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Matangi Island, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matangi Island
Brooklyn, NYC
“A romantic hideaway in paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

My husband and I went to Matangi for our honeymoon, and were rewarded with one of the best trip of our lives. It was quite a production to get there; three planes, a van ride down a rustic road, and then a boat - but many of the best places in the world a wee bit hard to get to. It's all worth it. We were greeted by singing staff, wagging tails, lovely shell necklaces and a delicious cold fruit cocktail. The island is beautiful, remote and pristine, and the atmosphere is warm, friendly and intimate. By the second day the staff knew us by name - we honestly have never been treated so well in all our lives. The food was outstanding (and we come from one of the best food cities in the world - NYC has over 20,000 restaurants!) Every morning we were called to breakfast by traditional Fijian drum. There was always a buffet of fresh fruits and the best muffins (how I miss those warm banana muffins!) and we would make our selections for lunch and dinner. Nothing more to worry about. Guests would usually gather at the bar before dinner and share stories and cocktails (the Mai Tai's are to die for) or you could be cozy and romantic on your own. Every night at dinner we were serenaded by the wonderful 'Bula Boys', and one night there was a traditional Fijian dance show.
To be honest my husband and I were worried at first that we might be bored on such a small island. But we had not one minute of it. We are both SCUBA divers, and we took full advantage of the beautiful and healthy reefs all around Matangi. Bale and Ally were fantastic dive masters - we had so much fun with them. We told Ally we had always wanted to see a lion fish, and lo and behold she managed to find one hanging out under a ledge. In addition to diving, we spent an afternoon kayaking and snorkeling in beautiful Horseshoe Bay, and we went on two excursions - one to a tropical waterfall and one to a local village.
The accommodations are lovely. We had the treehouse 'Lomolagi' which I HIGHLY recommend if you can get it. We had a living room, canopy bed, outdoor shower with stone mosaic floor, hot tub, day bed, and an amazing view. Every night we fall asleep to the sound of lapping waves.
The family who owns the resort are wonderful, interesting people and are great to talk to if you get a chance - they are often found mingling with the guests. And so are their adorable dogs - around a dozen Jack Russell/Fox Terrier mixes (all completely well behaved!) There are also roosters, a few cats and a pig who makes an occasional comical appearance.
Really - I am a choosy traveller. NO ONE paid me to write this review! LOL this is all coming from the heart. If you want unpretentious barefoot luxury, an authentic feel, quiet romantic ambiance, and a incredibly warm staff - this is the place for you. Matangi is a true gem.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Frisco, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We stayed at Matangi for one week. My husband and I traveled with another couple, and together we rented the two bedroom villa. The villa sits on a section of garden that juts out over the water, it is about a 10ft rocky rise from the water's edge. The villa itself is about 25 feet from the water's edge. There is a large awning with several spots to sit and lounge while looking out over the water at the Fijian sunset.

Inside it was basically two private bures connected by a large kitchen/bar area. There was a stove (never used), a refrigerator and freezer - where we stored our own liquor and beer - the bar had cookies, fresh water, and island info. The villa was beautiful, as they showed us to our rooms, the four of us were visibly excited about our upcoming week based on the beauty of this villa.

Each private room, plus the bar area, had large double doors which opened up to the water views - you could lay in bed and look out over the water. The rooms were extremely spacious, had large comfy beds with mosquito nets that were readied while we were at dinner. The bathrooms had a shower, toilet, and sink w/counter (hair dryer too), but also an outside rock shower - the only shower we used. Our particular shower had a handsome resident cane toad who hung out under the dripping water.

Big Perk: There was complimentary laundry service that was returned in less than 24 hours. I was lucky enough to enjoy the massage services at Matangi for a total of maybe 4 hours over the week - all sessions were good. They occurred in our bure on a table the masseuse brought in and set up.

FYI: The two bedroom villa is the only bure not to have A/C - I was worried, but it was no big deal. Even my hot-flash friend was comfortable with the ceiling fans. The bug spray provided was good, and needed. The complimentary flashlight was thoughtful and used as well.

The food was very good, not too filling, but always plenty to eat. I do not recall any repeat dishes - except for breakfast. The chef put on a Lovo buffet one night that was beautiful; he was very proud to stand by and help guests. It was cook-to-order the rest of the time, however you would let them know at breakfast what you wished to eat for the rest of the day.

The pool was lovely - not too big, but with no children running around, and such a small resort, who cares. It was in beckoning distance of the bar - just perfect! There are free catamaran sailboats for the guests to use; my husband and I took a spin one day. We enjoyed the loungers and beds by the pool, great for evening cocktails prior to dinner or an all day pool lounge. There are fruit bats (fox bats) that hang around in the trees by the pool and fly to and fro - very cool! The resort owners are animal lovers, as are we, and I thoroughly enjoyed the pooches and kitties that wandered the grounds - as well as the rehabilitation area for fox bats and birds. That Tommy!!!

Our primary reason for choosing Fiji was diving. Unfortunately our timing was poor with Typhoon Tomas having just directly passed over. The vis was not what I had hoped for, however of the three places we dove, Matangi was the very best. We crossed paths with a diver in Beqa who had been to the area 12 times; he stated it was the worst diving conditions he had ever seen. So sad for us. There was an unusual amount of rain that month, several comments were made it was not typical - we were there the last week of April. This did not help the vis either.

Currents were mild and it was obvious the corals and sea-life were abundant. I enjoyed Noel's Wall and Yellow Wall dive sites the most - the only wall diving we did except for the Great White Wall in the SomoSomo Strait. I enjoyed both dive masters at Matangi. The attentive Ally and the laid back Elia - Elia is freelance (with am amazing eye for finding stuff!) we made sure to tip him as he was not included in the staff Christmas fund. Matangi offered us the best diving of the three weeks we spent in Fiji. The dive boat was nice and we were lucky to be pretty much on our own most of the time. An excellent dive opp on site - but Matangi seems to draw more non divers - which was so fine with me.

Overall the staff was perfect - not too intrusive, but somehow attentive to every need. I enjoy meeting new people and talking with them, however I really am not on vacation to make friends and labor over a drawn out conversation - friendly but short. I thought the staff had a great handle on my style, and our friends as well. Marika was top-notch!

My only drawbacks... Well they really don't matter now, as they have been rectified; but I will mention this for anyone who may be considering going after a hurricane/typhoon. There was construction on the hut right next to the pool - the one day we took off of diving to lounge was accompanied by hammering and sawing. The lovely building that hangs over the water with the library and cocktail deck was battered and being used as a temporary lodging for the workers. Of course this was all because of the Typhoon that had occurred a month prior - but they definitely did have a couple more months of work to go IMO. So anyone reading this - please know the work is done, but I felt it important to mention and for one to take this into consideration when traveling after poor weather. What else could they have done, it is what it is.

Overall we LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this resort. The next place we visited, sadly endured the wrath of being compared to the lovely Matangi. I am not one to revisit the same spot - too many places to see in this world; however if the opportunity ever presented itself - I would go back to Matangi in a heart beat. A truly special place.

As a side note – I realize as an American tipping is a custom, but as I filled out my Christmas Fund donation, I was appalled by the dreadfully small amounts left by other guests. This staff had just experienced Typhoon Tomas – many lost their homes and have badly damaged villages. To travel half way across the world to visit this amazing paradise costs an arm and a leg. Opening up your pocket book just a little more is not too much to ask IMO. It does not matter how hard you have to scrape and save to be able to afford Matangi – it is a luxury the staff and most other Fijians will never experience. The donations are used in a thoughtful manner for the staff’s children's school fees and holiday affairs. At all three resorts I visited, I tipped approximately 20% - I considered it part of the costs. FYI: According to the Fijian tourism board, the average Fijian makes $6000 usd a year. I also brought many gifts with me such as paper, pens, pencils, scented erasers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, kites, frisbees, tons of hair ties and barrettes – they were given to the local villagers and much appreciated. Ok - I will step off my soap box.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

We and my husband went to Matangi for our 1st anniversary celebrations for 7 days. Right from the moment we arrived it was pure bliss.

We were picked up from Taveuni airport in a van and crossed the island for about 30 min before taking a boat ride for 20 min to Matangi Island. We were greeted by the staff at the beach who were singing their welcome song and gave us garlands and cocktail drinks.
After checking in, we were showed to our GORGEOUS beachfront bure. It was spectacular and even had an outdoor shower. Every beachfront bure also has their very own hammock at the beach.

The food was amazing! Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner were always 3-4 courses and the staff was amazing and so hospitable. The crab-cakes we had one day were the best ever!
Everyday, before dinner, we would go to the dining area, get drinks and listen to the live music performed by their staff musicians. They had games and books if you wanted to read.

The best part was the private beach picnic on the deserted side of the island was an amazing adventure. We also got a private dinner for our anniversary celebration ( the staff even brought us cake!) and sang to us.
We also got couples massages done at the beachfront spa - oh how wonderful it was to get massaged while listening to the ocean waves.
We also did kayaking, snorkelling and tried their local drink 'kava'.
The beach itself is not the best for swimming due to lots of corals around and you have to be careful to not cut your feet.

On our last day - all the staff members came to the boat to see us off. Each one thanked us for coming to stay and sang one final goodbye song.
They were all so hospitable and we truly had a wonderful stay. And yes, if you need anything or ever have questions about anything dont forget to ask for Marika. He is the local handyman and know-it-all.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
clermont fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I've been around the world quite a bit--and Matangi [and most of Fiji, for that matter] -is definitely one of the most scenic places.. The beaches are gorgeous...the staff is INCREDIBLE..the rooms are AWESOME.
If you're looking for a lot of pre-scheduled activities, it might not be the place for you.. If you're looking for peace & quiet..down time..and making up your "own" activities -- in between snorkeling and the occassional volley ball game or village visit.. you'll LOVE it..
The dive instructor, elly-- is AWESOME-- Winny is a WONDERFUL masseuse---the private island side--romantic picnic thingy is mmmmm..

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

We have recently returned from our fourth vacation to Matangi and are planning to return to our home away from home next year. Why not go somewhere else you may ask? We have. While we enjoyed the other resorts for different reasons and experiences, Matangi is where our heart is and has our “must haves” in a resort: small, intimate, can do as much or as little as we like, amazing snorkeling off the beach, great beach, no kids or day trippers. Is it perfect? Will say no, as I don’t believe any place is, but it comes pretty close for us. There is always something that can put a damper on vacations: weather, flight delays, bugs, mosquitoes, luggage not arriving, drink prices may be pricey, might not like every meal, etc.

The plane from Nadi to Taveuni is a twin engine Otter. Seats about 15 passengers. Due to weather or flight connections, it is sometimes late departing Nadi, and departing Taveuni for Nadi after leaving Matangi. There is not much room between the seats and can be cramped. Flight time is approximately 1 1/2 hours and can be an experience depending on the weather. The view of the islands and water is spectacular. You are met by a staff member from Matangi at Matei Airport on Taveuni and driven to a beach where a boat will be waiting to take you to Matangi. The dirt road is narrow and bumpy. The drive through the villages is a real eyeopener into the daily life of the Fijian people. Women will be doing laundry in the creeks while children are bathing in the creeks and playing in front of their homes.

As our flight from Nadi was full, all our luggage did not make the flight with us. Fortunately, we had packed our swim suits and a couple of changes of clothes in our carryon luggage. The reservations staff was immediately on the phone tracking down our luggage and making arrangements for it to be delivered. It arrived on a later flight the same day.

Upon arriving at Matangi, the staff is on the beach welcoming guests singing, with shell necklaces, and coconut drinks. After filling out paperwork, given a brief orientation about the resort in the dining room, you are given your keys, and escorted to your bure, where your luggage will have been delivered.

The resort is small, 14 bures, so a maximum of 28 guests. We were amazingly lucky to have the resort to ourselves for one day and night. What an experience it was. We did what we wanted, when we wanted. Most importantly, gave us the opportunity to spend time with the staff and got to know them on a personal basis.

For privacy, the bures, decorated in Fijian decor, are spaced apart and separated by beautiful tropical gardens, trees, and lush vegetation. We stay in Vitu, a beachfront bure. All bures have, bathrobes and slippers, carafes of water, a mini bar, charges apply, a safe, small fridge with a ice tray (get a bucket of ice from the bar, when having drinks in your bure), and coffee and tea making facilities. The coffee is pressed. We don’t care for pressed, so bring instant coffee and a few munchies with us from home. Declare any food items you bring when clearing customs. The bures have recently been remodeled and A/C has been installed in the canopy above the comfortable four poster king size beds. Makes for a very restful, comfy sleep. There is mosquito netting around the bed. All windows have louvers and are screened. Keeps most the bugs out, allows the sound of the waves on the beach, and the ocean breeze in. Yes, there will be bugs, mosquitos, and geckos. It is after all the tropics, and they are to be expected wherever you go in Fiji. That said, had no major problems with bugs or mosquitos and very few in our bure. Bug spray, Pure Fiji shampoo and conditioner are supplied and replenished as needed at no charge. The daily laundry service, provided at no cost is a real plus as it helps keep the packing down. Clothes are picked up in the morning and dropped off neatly folded in your bure while you are at dinner. The bathroom is small, but adequate. The indoor shower has been removed as most guests used the outdoor lava rock shower. It is spacious with plants and is an incredible experience. Nothing like showering under a blue sky, the stars, or in a warm tropical rain shower. The water pressure has been improved and the temperature of the water was easier to adjust to than on previous trips.

There are no TVs, DVD players, phones, clocks, or radios in the bures. We take a travel clock, our laptop with downloaded music, which allowed us to download our pictures every day, and a couple of DVDs. Internet access is available in the dining room for a very reasonable weekly fee.

Matangi offers something for everyone. You can do as much or as little as you like: Swim or lay by the pool with a good book and drink, attend Sunday church at a village, kayak, dive, snorkel (life vests are available from the dive shop, if not a strong swimmer), hike around the island, visit a village/school. (The books, maps, clothes, and school supplies we took were greatly appreciated by the teachers and children. This is not required. We also buy souvenirs at the village, as the money goes to support the village. Will need Fijian money) Take a complimentary snorkeling tour to various reefs around the island: recommend Horseshoe Bay, Honeymoon Bay, and the ship wreck. Tours at an additional charge also in FD, include the Bouma Water Falls, and Lavena Coastal Walk on Taveuni, (recommend shoes), and a few others.

Every day we snorkeled off the beach in front of our beachfront bure. Recommend taking an underwater camera as it is breathtaking. Lots of colorful fish, giant clams, blue starfish, soft, hard and plate coral to see. There is some seagrass and broken coral in the water close to shore. Seagrass is not necessarily a bad thing as lots of fish hide in it. One guest saw seahorses, maybe we will get lucky and see them on our next vacation. It is not very high and only takes a few minutes to float over. Though snorkeling gear is provided, we take ours with us from home.

As the safety of their guests is of upmost importance to the owners, they have installed buoys with flags placed off the beach in front of the resort. This alerts boats in the area that there may be swimmers, snorkelers or divers in the water. Also lets guests know how far out they can go before entering the boat travel lane. Never snorkel alone and always let one of the activity staff know, if you plan to snorkel from the beach. Don’t be surprised, should you notice one of the staff watching from the beach, or if one of them shows up in a kayak. The beach is long with soft, white sand. Matangi is tidal as most of Fiji is. Low tide is great for checking out the tide pools, and walking. Snorkeling or swimming can be tricky depending on how low it is. You may not be able to walk on the beach at very high tides.

We found most meals very good and beautifully presented, but liked some better than others. On occasion, nothing on the menu appealed to us. The chef was able to accommodate our requests. Breakfast starts with choice of fresh fruit, pastries, cereals, coffee, tea, and a variety of juices. Eggs cooked to order, omelets, toast, sausage or bacon, if you like your bacon crisp.....order it well done, choice of potatoes: hash browns, potato with onion, and my personal favorite potato rosti with bacon, pancakes: plain, banana, and pineapple, and french toast. Daily specials are also offered. Lunch starts with crisp salad and fresh bread. Offers a vegetarian choice as well as others. Can only remember my favorites: fish & chips, hamburgers, roasted chicken, and pizza. Dinner offers a choice of soup or salad with fresh rolls, followed by a choice of lamb, beef, chicken, pork, fish, prawns, pasta, curry, and vegetarian dishes served with rice or potato, and vegetable. Desserts are yummy, if you have room for them.

All drinks both soft and hard are extra and pricier than in the US. Prices are in Fijian Dollars, and range from around 5.50FD for beer to 22FD for fancy drinks. In USD, about $3.50 to $12 depending on the exchange rate. Guests are given a tab to sign before leaving the dining room after having drinks. Confirms the prices charged and allows guests to keep a tally of what they will be charged on checkout. Recommend bringing the amount of alcohol allowed by customs to keep the price down and for having drinks in your bure. We take ours from home in our checked luggage, as we cannot buy our brand of choice at duty free at LAX or Nadi. Can’t remember the cost of soft drinks and bottled water, as we only purchased them a few times. If asked, driver will stop at one of the stores after landing at Taveuni on the way to catch the boat for Matangi for soft drinks, beer, munchies, etc.

Nightlife consists of the band boys playing music and singing during dinner. After dinner guests can join the staff for kava. This is a lot of fun. Gives you a chance to get to know other guests as well as the staff. The staff will sometimes dance with guests after dinner. I never laughed so hard or had so much fun when they formed a conga line. No disco, loud music, or partying till the wee hours of the morning.

Matangi is in the rainy region of Fiji. Unfortunately, the weather can’t be predicted or guaranteed, regardless of when or where you go in Fiiji. We vacation at Matangi during the rainy season, February thru April. It can be hot, and humidity takes a few days to adjust to. We could not complain about the weather on any of our trips. Had one day when it rained all day during our ten day and two week stays. There was the brief tropical downpour, usually in the afternoon. It would also rain at night which is a good time to rain. Some days were sunny. Others sunny with white clouds, while others overcast then clearing. Our timing was good on our last trip, as we left a few days before Cyclone Tomas hit.

Since our vacation in 2009, the renovations have been completed at Horseshoe Bay. Renewing our wedding vows there with the staff was a very moving experience and one we will never forget. There is a building which includes a bathroom, covered deck with table, chairs, and a hanging bed. Kayaks are available and the snorkeling is excellent. It can be tricky getting in and out of the water depending on the tide. The private luncheon at Horseshoe Bay is an experience not to be missed. Imagine being taken by boat with meals, drinks and left by yourselves on a private beach.

There is no tipping in Fiji. Matangi has a Christmas fund. If you chose on checkout, mention you would like to make a contribution. The money collected during the year is divided equally between all the staff.

The staff is one the resorts greatest asset. From the moment you wade ashore, till the day you depart for home, you will be called by name and made to feel genuinely welcomed. I will not name names as I cannot mention them all. Suffice it to say, each and everyone of them, without be intrusive, go above and beyond to insure you have the vacation of a lifetime and one you will never forget. As strange as it sounds, you will arrive as guests and leave Matangi as part of their family.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
scrn74
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

My fiance and I traveled here for our last week on a two week trip to Fiji. We had concerns about the northern islands having more rain particularly during the shoulder season of March, but they were quickly abolished when we had absolutely gorgeous weather everyday. Our first night it rained and not another drop for an entire week.

Our Bure was spectacular with the outdoor shower and spotless surrounding grounds. Our Bure was located on the opposite site of the tree houses and the bulk of other Bures. We found it extremely secluded. We could sit on our patio for hours and not see a single soul. We also enjoyed having front yard access to the beach and tree covered deck. Oh, and the sunsets were amazing.

The food was incredible. You will never go hungry! After ultimately spending 10 days we never once ate the same thing for lunch or dinner. The menu suits all tastes and there is always dessert. In addition to the food, I loved the touch of a refreshing cold, essence infused towel to wash your face and hands along with a fresh fruit shooter. Don't miss the fabulous homemade granola bars on the bar. The best dessert was the panacotta with papaya sauce!

I loved the activity options you could plan on a day to day basis. Daily snorkeling, kayaking around the island, and the waterfall trip was extremely refreshing. We loved the taste of culture not only with our village visit, but from the close interaction with the native staff. The beach was pristine. A great swimming and snorkeling beach. Unlike other Fiji beaches, at low tide you could take a plunge and still have soft sand in your toes verses coral.

The staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating. We had ideas of eloping during our trip and arrived with no preparation, but despite it all Kay and Mereka pulled together and made it happen. We were married on the beach with our island "family".

If you are wondering where to go in Fiji - stop wondering. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

We found Matangi through Gregory Cole at South Seas Adventures, and we COULD NOT have been happier with both! It was our honeymoon, we've never been to Fiji and didn't even know where to start. I found Greg who directed us to Matangi. As soon as we arrived, the staff greeted us with song and really made us feel at home immediately. There were a lot of activities, like great snorkeling, a village visit, hiking, kayaking, a private picnic on Horseshoe Bay, and of course, entertainment from the Matangi staff. We cannot say enough good things about the staff. They really make you feel like it is your home while you are there, they all have wonderful personalities and we enjoyed all the time we spent with any staff member, whether it was hiking, going on a boat ride, or just hanging out near the bar having a nice conversation. Our bure was on the beach and was spotless every day, the turndown service and air conditioned beds were GREAT, and little touches like laundry service and fresh water jugs constantly being refilled made all the difference. The food was also amazing. I wasn't sure what to expect with the food in Fiji, but when our first few days had meals like beef fajitas and pan seared snapper with a thai chili/sweet pepper salsa, plus a good combo of local fruit and veg, I knew I'd be eating a lot! And eat a lot we did! The chef often asked us if we had anything special we wanted, as he was always working on his menu, coming up with new delicious dishes. We spent 7 days at Matangi and when we left the staff sends you off with a song, and I'm not going to lie, in spite of myself I actually started to cry. They were just so nice and make you feel like you belong there, it was hard to leave!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Matangi Private Island Resort? Share your experiences!