“Unbelievable Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ponta dos Ganchos Resort

You added Ponta dos Ganchos Resort to your Saves list
Ponta dos Ganchos Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Elpidio Alves do Nasimento, 104 | Ganchos de Fora, Governador Celso Ramos, State of Santa Catarina 8819000, Brazil   |
Sydney, Australia
“Unbelievable Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for four nights to finish our honeymoon and it ended up being the highlight of our trip! The entire experience of staying at Ponta dos Ganchos was unbelievable beginning from the complimentary airport transfers from Florianopolis airport to the resort (which is a 40 minute drive outside of the city) to the exceptional service and facilities at the resort itself. Highlights for us would include our bungalow (which included 2 toilets, 2 giant shower heads, spa, pool and sauna! You could easily stay at the bungalow all day and still have a great time), the hike to a stunning nearby secluded beach (accompanied by our guide Mikhail - great guy!) and the overall service from all the staff. One funny observation we had is that all staff wore headpieces and would communicate to their colleagues by whispering into these headpieces whenever they saw you, I guess it was their way to ensure someone would be there to greet us wherever we were... Felt like they were the CIA or something!
Overall - it was an unbelievable experience and one which we'll remember for a very long time, despite being very pricey it is definitely worth the money we paid! One day when we go back to Brazil we would definitely look to do it all over again at Ponta dos Ganchos!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is without doubt an amazing hotel/resort. We stayed for 8 nights in a Villa and so were able to guage quite a few aspects over that time.
Firstly the accomodation was great - lots of space, great layout. Beautiful views through so many windows and glass doors - all facing the bay. And total seclusion inside and outside, with pool, hammock and lounging chair. We added an umbrella that finished it off perfectly.
The other aspect that was extraodinary was the housekeeping service. Incredible - every time you left to say go for breakfast - you returned to find that the Villa had been cleaned and put back to a pristine condition. This could easily happen 3 times a day. Eventually we noticed the camera in the bushes that they were using so that the team could descend upon the villa and do thier work. After a massage one afternoon we returned to find the Jacuzzi filled and the foam covered in rose petals, with the candles lit - just amazing.
The food - running out of adjectives - the freshest seafood and put with delicate and clever sauces/ accompnaiments. Not to mention the 9 course breakfast tasting menu - different each day with such clever combinations of flavours and textures.
Excellent car transfers both ways.
But, it was not perfect - given the 6 star villa, food and housekeeping some aspects became random/inconsistent as the week went on.
For example - when arriving on the beach and looking to use the sunbeds - you were on your own. No one comes to move beds under sunshades, offer cool flannels, towels, water, little treats ( frozen melon balls ........ I know maybe I am being picky - but it's standard at the 4 Seasons/Manderin Oriental etc - and they are nowhere near as good in the other areas as Ponta dos Ganchos) - it just was surprising.
We had room service a couple of evenings and were surprised that you got the food - and thats about it - missed the flower/ warm bread rolls, an attempt to make the in villa dining a little more special when dining in. Food still fantastic quality.
Needed a kettle in the room for my wife's medication and was told it was not possible. A day later and a conversation with someone else - told no problem.
At this price point and positioning everything should really be - no problem.
So there are areas that seem not to fit with the rest of the place - however - we met the new GM Julios and mentioned that we were surprised - he has only been in position a few weeks and says he plans to bring those areas up to the same standard. Future traveller reports will confirm his acheivements I am sure.
Overall, I can absoluely reccomend - just do not be surprised regarding some inconsistencies.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We arrived in the pouring rain which was unexpected and unwanted, and it did rain everyday for a few hours which was the only downside of this resort. Our bedroom/villa was beautifully designed with incredible views. The food was some of the best we had in all of Brazil, though we thought the 'tasting breakfast' was irritating. We went with Mikael for a wonderful walk to an untouched beach, the first part was dull on the road, but once we had that behind us it was lovely to walk along the busy beach and see the Brazilians at play, and then through the woods to a totally beautiful empty beach. Mikael was kind and friendly and flexible. We would highly recommend this very special place.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I spent our last three days of our honeymoon at Ponta dos Ganchos, and it was an absolute treat. We stayed in a villa, which was positively stunning. The villa has a massive living room and bedroom, a jacuzzi and sauna, a huge shower with two rain shower heads, his and her bathrooms and sinks, and his and her closets. I will never forget the view of the water from the plunge pool, hammock, and jacuzzi. For privacy seekers, the villa will not disappoint. It was a little difficult to drag my husband away from the TV and the resort's large movie collection - the resort even made us popcorn and brought it to our room for an impromptu movie night when the weather turned cloudy.

We were able to secure an all-inclusive rate for food right before the hotel changed its all-inclusive policies. The breakfast is over the top and innovative - be prepared for a six-course meal. This is definitely a hotel for foodies. By our last dinner, all I wanted was a simple steak (and they happily made it for me as my husband cringed at my request). :) Make sure you grab a table on the top floor of the restaurant - the breeze and view is amazing up there.

From a service standpoint, we found the staff to be quite friendly and open, despite the posh feel of the resort. We greatly appreciated the orientation that we received when we first arrived at the hotel, and the exemplary service continued throughout our stay. Special kudos for Nina, who helped organize a romantic dinner on the resort's private island for us, and our server, Mikhail, who made the night so special.

I also had two massages during our stay - the Ponta dos Ganchos specialty massage and a regular massage with a "tired legs" combination mixed in. I enjoyed the regular massage a bit more than the specialty spa, but both were great. The spa is actually located in three separate tents near the water. We were a little disappointed that the hotel does not offer a couple's massage in the spa area, but the spa "luxury tents" are incredibly relaxing - the sounds of the water and the view are spectacular.

As noted in other reviews, this is an expensive resort, no doubt about it. The service, romantic ambiance, food, and luxury make the cost worthwhile though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I arrived at this resort on the day of my 40th Birthday. We got here after being in Miami where I ran my first ING Miami Full Marathon. This resort is surrounded by natural beauty, flaura and fauna, hills and beaches.
The people are kind and very eager to service you. Not everyone speaks English but everyone sure tries and I love that!
I can assure you it has been the most romantic place i've been to so far.
We are very picky health conscious consumers. Everything in grown on premises and daily picked for your meals. YYUUMMYYY!!!! Every meal was organic, freesh, gourmet, different, and delicious.
If and when you go here please make sure to meet Nina, Daniel, Gilberto, Giovana, July and Mikael. But everyone was curtious and very willing to help your stay here a special one.
Try at least one of the hikes with Mikael and the massages at the spa with Najara.
We cant wait to ga back! I hope you enjoy as we did, it was worth every penny!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I travel often and stay at some pretty cool hotels. After my recent stay at Ponta, I felt compelled to write my first Trip-advisor review. I was locked into a three day min stay and spent about US$1,600 a night. I typically spend about US$1,200/night when I travel and have come to understand this is what it takes to stay at the some of the very special resorts around the world. While booking Punto, I was surprised by the cost, but assumed there must be a good reason and I was game. Unfortunately I discovered a very average and dated resort, and felt taken advantage of.

My room had a great view and I enjoyed the oversized plastic bathtub on the outside deck. The bed was very comfortable and I did sleep well. The jungle landscape and topography of Brazil is super cool, and I was able to greatly enjoyed the natural surroundings from my room.    The main dining room served great meals and provided excellent service, and I really enjoyed eating late meals out on the deck.

The biggest problem with this hotel is that the decor and architecture is uninspired and does not measure up to other hotels around the world charging similar rates. Also, the resort is really boring, so much so that I left the resort day #2 despite being required to pay for my minimum three nights stay. I gave a lame excuse why I had to leave as I wanted to avoid a face to face conflict while on vacation.

Just prior to my stay at Punta, I stayed at the design-minded Fasano countryside resort in Punta de Este. Perhaps Ponta should give Brazilian architect Isay Weinfeld a call, I am sure he could rescue this property. As opposed to the equestrian-chic interiors of the Fasano that provided warm contrast, with granite and polished -wood surfaces and overstuffed linen seating, Punto went for the Sao Paulo airport sterile motif with white tile floors, beat up furniture, and an oversized purple foam purple couch that reminded me of the cartoon caricature Barney the dinosaur. The special feature in the room was a wood sauna that felt like a time transport to the 1970s.

Walking the property felt more hike through a public park than a relaxing stroll through an up-scale resort. The pool is tucked inside a nondescript, uninviting building. The focal point of the resort is cute little cove, but unfortunately the deck and surrounding structure are worn and dated. I imagined so many fixes to the property, such as a public infinity pool overlooking the cove.

During check out felt like as if I was being released from a maximum security prison. A security guard accompanies the bellman to pick up the luggage. Immediately the room is cased to ensure guest report every last minibar item. I assumed that the Nespresso coffee capsules were compliments, as this is what I have experienced at every other hotel. My bad! I was stopped in my car by the manager and I had to go back into the lobby to pay US$6 for three Nespresso capsules despite paying almost US$6,000 for a two night stay. A classy resort would let this small oversight slide and this incident highlights how much you will feel nickel and dimmed at this place.

Ponta dos Ganchos needs a reality check if they want to charge these world class rates. The resort is architecturally tired and in need a complete renovation. Thanks to Trip-advisor, our generation has been empowered to force change on resorts that exploit and overcharge guests.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Julio J, General Manager at Ponta dos Ganchos Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Mr. DnDC5,

Thank you for your candid feedback. We truly appreciate it. Design and decor are obviously a matter of one's personal taste, but nevertheless, we will take your comments into serious consideration on our future renovations, some to happen soon in fact. As per the Nespresso that was charged upon departure, I am really sorry. Although mini bar items are not included, charging for it after you had closed your account was a mistake. I completely agree with your point of view and in fact we share it. It was just an unfortunate mistake that I hope we can repair some day if you ever give us the chance, coming back to Ponta dos Ganchos.

Sincerely
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

PROS: The property is AMAZING!!! Only 25 bungalows atop a mountain only seconds away from a beautiful, discreet, private beach. (Which you can be carted to if you prefer not to walk the 2 minutes it takes you to get there.) It is the most romantic place we have visited. As far as their food is concerned, we couldn't have been more happier or satisfied. THEY GROW THEIR OWN ORGANIC FOOD ON SITE!!! The chef does a terrific job using all the fresh produce grown and caught in or around the location and presenting them to you on your plate. We tend to be picky eaters when it comes to the quality and healthiness of our food, but there was no request they couldn't achieve regarding this issue. We requested orange juice, yogurt, and skim milk (sometimes unattainable in other countries) and every day my refrigerator was stocked with freshly squeezed orange juice, skim milk, and natural fruit yogurt made from the fresh organic berries they grow on site! (We're still giddy.) I personally didn't care much for the breakfast tasting menu- thinking they should not try to reinvent eggs, bread, and pancakes- but it should be experienced at least once. It is amazing the different types of fruits they grow and are able to serve as juice for you. As for my breakfast, all I had to do was request my desire to Gilberto and in minutes he gladly served what I had ordered. Regardless of the expense of a resort or the amount of stars it has obtained, we have always- one way or the other- left the place with at least the slightest bit of disappointment concerning our nutrition. This was not the case with Ponta Dos Ganchos. As for the staff, they are as delightful as the place itself. Nina and Daniel (from dining) are superstars. They not only speak your language- and if they don't they are willing to learn!- but also enjoy taking care of their guests and satisfying there every need. They truly define great customer service. Giovanna and July (from reception/front desk) were a delight from our first day to our last. Giovanna patiently guided us through the complex answering my every question on our first day; while July volunteered to pre check us into our flight before we departed to the airport our last day there. The beach is proof that great things come in small packages. Patricia is in charge of this area and we always had what we needed thanks to her- including fresh fruits and coconut water. As for our bungalow, it was the smallest in the complex. It was a spacious duplex with two terraces and was maintained in pristine condition by the friendly and outgoing housekeeping staff. CONS: A few things keep us from deeming this place perfect. 1) The mattress was extremely hard; waking us up with stiff backs every morning. 2) In more than one occasion we were delivered dirty or unwashed utensils to our room. 3) During certain times of the day staff in the front desk did not speak our language (english/spanish) making it difficult to obtain certain necessities or personnel. In fact, this is an issue that should be greatly revised by upper management at Ponta Dos Ganchos. During calls from the U.S. to the hotel we were misinformed in more than one occasion by a female supervisor/manager who did not speak english and was unable to properly describe the specifics and terms of their all inclusive packages. As far as the property is concerned, (4) the fitness room is our only disgust. The facility is extremely outdated. Just like their food, the fitness room equipment should cater to individuals who might care about maintaing their physical appearance and/or health.

Room Tip: Its incredible: The bungalows are all facing a different angle. They all have their privacy; and a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JulioJost, General Manager at Ponta dos Ganchos Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Mr. Gabriel

First of all ,thank you for choosing Ponta dos Ganchos . We are glad to know that the resort met your expectations concerning property location ,food and overall service.
Unfortunately,we did not have the chance to know about your disappointment with the mattress on the first night. We do have softer mattresses that can be provided when requested.
Our training in food service happens on daily basis and cleanness of the material and attention to room service are major issues, but we do thank you for alerting us and certainly will increase our attention to that.
Our staff is 90% hired in the surrounding villages. This is part of our compromise with the local community. Unfortunately not many of them had the chance to study a second language. For this year we have signed an agreement with a language school that has just installed a unit in Ganchos village. The hotel will pay for 100% of the costs for any employee that sign up for it.
We also thank you for the comments about the fitness room that will be passed to the owners to be included in future facilities update.

We truly hope to see you in the near future.

Best regards,

Been to Ponta dos Ganchos Resort? Share your experiences!