“Relaxing in a spectacular setting ...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 attractions in Astorville
Type: Spas
Attraction Details
Calgary
“Relaxing in a spectacular setting ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

In early July a friend and I spent two wonderful days at the Hummingbird Hill Spa just outside of North Bay, Ontario. As I drove in, I thought I was in a mini-Butchart Gardens it was so beautiful. We relaxed in the screened in gazebo prior to an excellent dinner of curried barbecued chicken and rice followed by a dessert to die for. After breakfast the next morning, we headed for the
Spa where we had facials, pedicures, massages and body sugaring (this was a first for me). All were excellent, but the four layer facial really stood out. My aesthetician Gwen was very professional and knowledgeable. I have had many facials before this one, in spas around the world and this one was really world class. Our private rooms each had an ensuite and were very cosy with beautiful linens and decor. All of the meals were excellent and were beautifully presented. We would like to have stayed longer in this exquisite environment with our wonderful hosts Marianne and Gary who made us feel vey welcome and catered to our every need. I will definitely return. I just wish that I did not live so far away because I would make it a semi-annual retreat if I could!

Visited July 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Perfect Valentine's Day Gift- wonderful Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was my fourth visit to this lovely, peaceful environment. The esthetician who gave me my spa pedicure and four layer facial was very good, the facial is awesome.

My massage with rmt was exactly what the Dr ordered. Lunch was crab cakes with greek salad, yummy and lemon curd cheese cake for dessert....yum yum

It was a real treat to spend a peaceful day being pampered. We are fortunate to have a spa with such high standards to our area. In the spring and summer, the grounds are magnificent, so well maintained. There is much attention to detail at Hummingbird Hill Spa

Visited February 2013
Powassan, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Hummingbird Hill Spa - Quaint and Cozy in a Nice Location...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

A friend of mine came to visit for the weekend and we prearranged to have the Serenity Package at Hummingbird Hill which included a thermal hands massage, body wrap, and facial. Upon arrival, we were welcomed by the owner and given a robe to change into, had mimosa and fruit, and relaxed while we waited for our services. While I had my massage and wrap, my friend had her facial and then we alternated. It was nice to have our services at the same time as many places in the area have only one esthetician and could not accommodate this. We were there for 3 hours and it was small and quiet, and when we left saw a deer in the driveway, so I would say this place is nice for those who are from the city and want to get away from the hustle and bustle, and who like something a little quirky and different. All in all it was a nice experience.

Visited September 2012
Los Angeles, California
“DEFINITELY give this place a try if you're in the area, you won't regret it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I come to North Bay, Canada often for work and this time, I really wanted to treat myself! I convinced myself that making the 7 hour drive (EACH WAY!) to Niagara Falls for a quick turnaround trip wasn't worth it and decided to pamper myself instead! And boy...did I get pampered!

I relied on trusty Yelp of course to find me a great spa. Granted Astorville is about a 25-min drive from North Bay but it was definitely worth it!

Tucked away in this gorgeously kept garden, you drive down the one-way dirt path through all the gloriousness, and you're transformed to another world. There's a cute barn to your left and the spa/bed&breakfast/garden in front of you and to your right. I love Love LOVE cute, homey places that make me feel like I've stepped into another world. Imagine Disneyland but as a spa...minus the screaming children and overpriced food, ok ok just imagine the "happiest place on Earth"... That's how I felt.

Turns out they reserved the ENTIRE place just for me because they like their guests to feel welcome and relaxed. I met Marianne, who's the owner of Hummingbird Hill Spa, and she was so nice, I even got to have lunch with her served by her husband! Everything was homecooked and tailored to my nut allergies which I greatly appreciated. Delicious bacon Caesar salad, crab cakes, white wine, and dessert!! I'm a sucker for good food... :)

I booked a full day of luxury from 9:30am until 7pm. If I came again, I don't think I'd do so many treatments in a row, I just got so excited! I think I would limit my experience to around 3-4 hours or so and maybe take advantage of the hot tub they have.

Here's a list of my treatments:

+ Creme de la Creme ($390)
- Deluxe 4 layer facial
- Hot stone neck and shoulder massage
- Massage with RMT (Registered Massage Therapist)
- Spa manicure
- Body sugaring/exfoliation
- Full body moisturizing
- Lunch
- Time to soak in the hot tub
+ Hot Stone Pedicure ($85)
+ Eye Contour Treatment ($59)

Everything was great! I think if I came back I would skip the manicure/pedicure. The hot wax felt great (spa manicure) but I just don't think I have the patience to sit around and have my nails worked on (my own personal preference - NOTE: first time getting manicure/pedicure). However, I LOVED the massage! Katy (sp?) was great and really listened to all my requests. I get massages a lot for back issues and after a great, very focused treatment, she was able to give me some advice for strengthening my back.

Overall, I love this place to pieces. Marianne told me they were thinking of selling to retire and travel the world (JEALOUS!!). If they find a reasonable buyer, I really hope the next person will keep this place as amazingly personable, beautiful, and friendly as it was when I went.

It takes a lot to impress me to this degree so...5 STARS! :))

Conclusion: DEFINITELY give this place a try if you're in the area. Totally worth the money and so far, better than any place I've been to in the Southern California area.

Visited July 2012
“Amazing Day at The Spa!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

It was amazing right from the time I arrived. The gardens were spectacular and the staff & service were great. It was so cool to have a pedicure while watching baby birds in a nest & hummingbirds feeding. Lunch was delicious and being by myself at the spa, I enjoyed both the owners company & conversation at lunch in their home. A wonderful treat!

Been to Hummingbird Hill Spa-Country Retreat? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Hummingbird Hill Spa-Country Retreat, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later