“Don't hesitate, book the Grecotel Eva Palace” 5 of 5 stars

Grecotel Eva Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 57 | Tzavros, Kommeno Bay 49083, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Kommeno Bay
Nottingham
“Don't hesitate, book the Grecotel Eva Palace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

This hotel lived up to and exceeded all of our expecxtations.

When we arrived at this stunning hotel, we were greeted by cheerful helpful staff, the couple next to us who were on Honeymoon were upgraded to a Master Suite on the top floor, we were upgraded to a superior room, and the two other couples were upgraded as well, a lovely start to our holiday.
Our room was on the 4th floor and as it was 1.30 am in the morning we didn't quite know what we would wake up to, but as the room was amazing we had high hopes. We found the room to be much larger than expected and was furnished lavishly, we had been left a bottle of wine and a bottle of water in our fridge, and the tea coffee and milk was replenshed every day. As were our beach towels.
Waking up in the morning and opening the curtains was one of the best suprises, the views are just stunning, we had and end room so we had side views as well, breath taking.
I loved the glass wall in the bathroom, having a bath and being able to see through the room and out onto the stunning views isn't something that you can do every day, and if you don't want to look out, close the muslim nets and the shower curtain and you have all the privacy you need.
The rest of the holiday proved to be just as amazing as we had hoped, the staff can't do enough for you and it is sincere, not just a plastered smile on because it's their job and they have to, the staff work really hard and they always have time for you.
We really enjoyed the food and there was always enough choice for us, but some people who admited to being picky eaters grumbled, but you will always get people that enjoy a good moan and will find something to moan about.
There is a fantastic choice of drinks for both drinkers and none drinkers, upgrade to premium plus though, i'ts well worth it as the drinks are very expensive. I went through the cocktail list and tried everything, it was great.
All in all we both enjoyed this hotel and did not want to come home, we would go back and we would not hesitate in reccomending the Eva Palace to anyone.

Room Tip: I think other than the bungalows and private Villas all the rooms have a sea view, but ask for a hig...

473 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Liverpool in England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Just returned from the Eva Palace stayed 26th of September for a week . We stayed on the all inclusive package and so glad we did as it was very expensive if you had to buy your own food and drinks.The hotel staff were excellent from the start and we had a room on the fifth floor with spectacular views over the sea. You could lie in bed of a morning and watch the sun come up over the mountains. The hotel is very clean and you are shown to your table at meal times which takes away that canteen feeling that you get in some hotels. We were given an ice bucket for our wine and water and were always asked if everything was to our liking.
Room
Room was beautiful with an amazing view. Bathroom had his and her basins and good shower and very quiet air conditioning. Mini bar had a bottle of wine and water in when we arrived but wasn't stocked up after that. I think the hotel could supply fresh drinking water in your fridge as this would save you having to ask bar staff all the time for bottled water. You do get coffee and tea making facilities. Plenty of hangers and storage space and no issues with bed linen. Your pool towels were replaced in your room for new ones each day.
Food was really nice at breakfast you could choose from a wide variety of hot or cold dishes from fried eggs, bacon, sausages, toast and all the usual yoghurt's fruit and cakes you would expect from a 5 star hotel . The pool bar has a good selection of meals and also the restaurant at lunch time is really nice which you can use with the all inclusive package. The night time meal selection is excellent and you can sit outside taking in the the beautiful views.
The drinks are of a high quality and the waitress(Maria) made a hot toddy for my husband as he had a cold which was really good and she was always asking if we needed anything and supplied nuts and crisps with our round of drinks. The sparkling wine was excellent and the bottled lager was good . The metaxa brandy is served in a novelty glass with a light and was really nice.
Now I have to mention as they were a real pain WASPS. They were everywhere and it was very difficult to eat outside of a day as they would swarm your food and if like me you are scared of them I ended up doing a strange dance to try and get rid of them. It was a real pain as I wouldn't sit outside at breakfast as they loved coming to join me .We ordered a lovely meal at the pool bar and ended up eating it inside as they were dive bombing my food. I would have to drink my coke quickly by the pool as I was scared to leave any cups around as this would attract them. I got stung twice as I picked up my sarong and one was on it that I didn't see and I put my arm down on one of them. The hotel tried to deter them with some smoke but it just did not work. I hate wasps so as you can imagine they did make me feel on edge however I was determined that this was not going to spoil my holiday as everything else was fantastic.
The hotel shop is very expensive so ensure you bring with you enough sun tan lotion as we priced a bottle and it was 29 Euros.
We went to Gouvia by taxi 10 euros and this was a nice change but very quiet as they are winding down as its the end of the season for them. We went on a Thomson boat trip 49 Euros each which in Gouvia they were selling for half that price. The trip was good but did not include drinks and snacks but did include a meal on the beach with a drink.

The beach at the hotel is small and you need beach shoes to walk in the sea as there are lots of stones and cobbles. The sea was warmer than the pool and was very nice. There are water sports on the beach and my husband went water skiing for 35 Euros which was good as he hadn't done it before and the instructor was really good.
The pool in the hotel was ice cold but is salt water so it was a really refreshing swim. You need to get the beds over the far side right outside the restaurant as you get the sun all day just by turning you bed as the sun moves. You get your mat for your bed out of the green boxes around the pool. This hotel was really lovely and the hotel staff made it special as we were celebrating an anniversary we had champagne, cake and fruit in our room on arrival and they couldn't do enough for you. The holiday was really relaxing and we only went outside the hotel twice and that was exactly what we went away for good food and drink and a relaxing environment. I would recommend this hotel to couples who want a bit of time away and want to experience some luxury with the most fantastic views.If you are looking at booking this Hotel I would recommend paying the extra for the all inclusive package as we saved a lot of money and didn't have to worry about our bar bill and could try all the different cocktails. .

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view. Sea view was amazing on the fifth floor
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We read a number of mixed reviews before our stay so I thought I would write an honest review as things were when we stayed (26th Sept 2011 in room 147).
Reception – We were booked in quickly and the staff are very helpful. We were given detailed information shown to our room and the porter delivered the bags within 5 minutes (10 out of 10). There was a nice touch in that you could swap dinner for lunch at no cost which meant if you wanted to dine at one of the local restaurants in the evening you could (10 out of 10). The hotel also offers a discount of 11 Euros if you use the a’ la carte restaurant, we did not use this as we felt the discount was short changing us (the hotel charge 20 to 30 Euros for the buffet dinner) 2 out of 10 for this one.
Room – We had a sea view room which had 2 white towel robes, plenty of storage and a fridge. The bathroom was a little weird, it had a white modern suit, wc, bath, shower (over bath) and 2 hand basins but no bidet. The weird thing was the glass screed between the bathroom and the bedroom, this did have a privacy curtain but it was best part of useless. I suspect the designer thought it would be nice to lie in the bath and take in the see view, but it doesn’t work. If you pull the shower curtain over the bath it does provide full privacy. As for the room itself, it was probably a great design in the mid nineties with the CD player being a nice touch then but these days people are looking for a docking station for the ipod not a CD player. The TV was not a flat screen, there was no wifi and the bed linen was 4 star not 5 star. Generally the room had everything you needed but was of a 4 star standard not 5 star (7.5 out of 10).
View – The view from the balcony was 5 star one of the best I have seen, really nice to sit on the balcony late afternoon with a G&T (10 out of 10).
Level 3 bar and reception – These were generally 5 star quality but some of the soft furnishing are showing signs of age (8 out of 10).
Restaurant and food – Generally I could not fault the quality of the food and the level of service was very good. It did not matter what time you ate the buffet breakfast or dinner it was refreshed regularly. The only complaint I have is there is only one toaster which is rubbish and for this reason I reluctantly mark it down to 9 out of 10.
Cleanliness – The place is spotless, all areas 10 out of 10.
Pool area – Good quality sun-beds and plenty of them so I really do not understand why people kept going down and putting towels out. Sun bed covers were provided as were beech towel. The pool we used was salt water. 10 out of 10.
Beach – Again good quality sun-beds and plenty of them, there were also water sports (at additional cost) if you wished to use them. The beach bar was closed and as the hotels claims to be 5 star I would have expected this to be open so 8 out of 10.
Pool bar – Now this is where I have a problem it was expensive and had a poor choice of food. I bought drinks and food on 2 days and on each day they served my drinks in chipped glasses, not what you would expect from a 3 star let a lone an establishment claiming to be 5 star, Burger and chips 15 euros (2 out of 10). Do yourself a favour and take a 5 minute walk up the hill (turn right when you come out of the main entrance) and go to the first bar on the right excellent views wide choice of quality food and drink and 30% cheaper than the hotel and no chipped glasses!!
Cost of food and drink – Just to put things in perspective the Pound has lost more than 20% of its value to the Euro which is not the manager’s fault it’s the UK governments and specifically the Bank of England. Corfu is not the cheap resort it once was in the 80s. So if we use 1.40 euro to the Pound a G&T is 11 euro’s which is about £8 and a beer about £3.60 so it’s about the same as you would pay in a UK 4 or 5 star hotel. We had wine and water with our evening meal and it was between 23 and 28 euros depending on what wine we had (not excessive). 8 out of 10.
Summary – In my opinion this is not a 5 star hotel but a very good 4 star, but did this spoil our holiday no not one bit. The real acid test is would we stay there again, the answer is yes definitely but after this review I might have to use another name. The other thing I asked my self is would I recommend this hotel to friends and relatives again the answer is yes. Overall I would give this hotel 8 out 10.

Room Tip: Take a room with a sea view it is one of the best I have seen in 40 year sof traveling
Northumberland, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We can't understand the negative comments from other reviewers, we found the Eva Palace to be excellent throughout.
We had emailed the hotel in advance and asked for a room without a glass bathroom wall, and were given exactly what we had asked for. Although it was a nice enough room the balcony was small so we asked to change. The reception manager was excellent, she offered us another room instead with absolutely no problem at all.
The choice of food was amazing although we would advise you take the All Inclusive ( Premium Plus) option as this saved us a small fortune on food and drink. It even included one complimentary dinner in the A la Carte restaurant ( fantastic food and service) and all spirits and liquers are International brands.
The hotel is impeccably clean throughout, and we experienced friendly efficient service from every member of the staff.
The whole vibe is laid back and relaxing, so if you are looking for nightlife and action its not for you, however if you love beautiful scenery, clear blue water and the sights and smells of Greece you will love it as we did.
One tip, you must visit the Pelagos bar at the top of the hill - amazing views.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one week in September.

The positives:
-Beautiful views
-Very clean rooms, excellent housekeeping
-Chrisa, one of the Captains in the restaurant was fantastic and a real credit to the hotel, most of the other staff (including the food and beverage manager) had a very ambivalent attitude towards service, sometimes even rude
-True that the hotel doesn't compete with other 5 star hotels globally, however I had been warned of this prior to coming to Greece
-Someone (presumably a member of staff?) had provided the cats with a 'Cat Palace' and food and water bowls. It would be nice if the hotel went once step further though and arranged some veterinary care for these animals, neutering them would help to contain the population and there was one cat who was limping and needed some medical treatment - could the hotel provide a donation box for guests to contribute to their care? Many guests were very fond of these animals and they deserve to be treated with kindness and humanity. Sadly most of the stray animals in Corfu seemed to be uncared for.

The negatives:
-Wasps - the hotel has an unacceptably dismissive attitude towards this problem. Many guests were really disturbed by them to the point of not being able to sit by the pool/on balconies
-We witnessed some bar staff by the pool being very rude to some elderly guests who had politely requested a wasp deterrent (hotel provides some coffee beans to burn, it is better than nothing). The bar staff claimed to know nothing of these deterrents and told the guests to buy some wasp repellent from the hotel shop - disgusting behaviour that they were too lazy and rude to help and the hotel even wants guests to pay for wasp deterrents?!! The lazy bar staff provided a deterrent for the elderly guests once I had spoken to them, goodness knows where senior management were at this point...
-During our stay we required a doctor. The hotel charges E100 for a doctor to visit. However, other local doctors (not arranged through the hotel) charge only E65 to see you at the hotel, or E45 if you visit them at their surgery. Blatent profiteering by the hotel, thanks Eva Palace for trying to rip-off guests who are unwell. Poor attitude. We were asked re insurance for the medical costs, presumably management find it acceptable that UK insurance companies foot the inflated bills from their doctor?! Anyway, we used a doctor not associated with the hotel which saved us from this profiteering.
-The bar prices are ridiculous. Over E10 for a vodka and coke?! Never seen prices like this, even in far superior hotels. We got a taxi to a supermarket and bought our drinks there on principle.
-There was a sewage smell near the pool and at times in the bathroom. Not good.
-Shades by the pool are fixed, so all guests like up like sardines round the pool. When the sun moves, you can't move the umbrella, so you either burn or move to another area (shades aren't big enough to just move the sunlounger all the time).
-TV only had two channels in English - BBC World and Bloomberg. Not channels that are at all common in UK, Sky News would be better...seemed to be lots of German channels.

The hotel could be so much better, it was a shame that management weren't more interested in their guests (other than making money...).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
evapalace, General Manager at Grecotel Eva Palace, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments relating to your recent stay at our hotel!
Thank you for commending Chryssa, it is kind of you to mention her personally! She is indeed an excellent employee and has a talent for building a good rapport with our guests. On the other hand, I am sorry to hear that you don’t feel the same way about the other members of staff and management. I can only assume that you didn’t really interact with them! On the contrary, I believe all our employees to be true assets to the hotel, chosen not only for skills but largely also for their personalities and ‘people skills’. If you have read other reviews, you will see ‘friendly staff’ is something that is often mentioned, with regards to our hotel.

We came up with the idea of the cat palace, because we are fond of cats and enjoy looking after them. There are many stray animals in Greece and many stray cats in our area. We do a lot more for them than you think! In the winter we gather them, feed them and neuter them, at our own expense. However, the fact that they find food here in the summer unavoidably leads to more and more cats gathering from the neighbouring areas. When we ask our guests not to feed the cats, this is not because we do not want them to be treated with kindness, it is because they get used to being fed in the restaurant and therefore keep coming into the restaurant. This is one of the reasons we created the cat palace; to attract the cats and deter them from going near the restaurant. Unfortunately, the tasty treats offered by guests are more attractive than the dry food we put down for them and they therefore still prefer to gather near the restaurant. It is difficult to explain this to each guest and as in this instance, our actions seem to be easily misinterpreted or not fully understood. We are trying to help the cats in every possible way. If the other businesses in the area did the same for them as we do, the problem would not be so great. Instead, most do nothing and the cats come here to eat, drink, and multiply each summer and the situation doesn’t seem to change, despite our efforts.

We do not have a dismissive behavior towards the wasps. We simply acknowledge the problem. This is unfortunately a true problem in Corfu at this time of year. We have done everything in our power to prevent them but there is no absolute solution to this natural phenomenon. If you know of one, please share it with us! We will certainly welcome any advice you may have as this is a big concern for us as well as other hotels in the area.

I am struggling to believe what you say about the elderly couple at the pool bar. We have several ointments for wasp stings: antihistamine gel and ammonia among others. We also have epinephrine injections for very serious allergic reactions. We are well prepared throughout the hotel, including at the beach & pool bar. No, we do not offer proactive treatment such as wasp repellent spray or ointment. This is something that guests generally carry with them. It can also be bought at the sundries shop. I am guessing that this was a misunderstanding among ‘insect repellent’ and ‘insect bite ointment’.

As a hotel and primarily an accommodation, food & beverage provider, medical care is not one of our service provisions. We have a doctor with whom we collaborate, because we like to be ready to recommend a doctor to our guests, who is willing to visit the hotel whenever necessary, even in the middle of the night. Not many doctors do this for someone who is not a steady patient! For your information, we make € 0 out of this collaboration and that is the truth. I don’t believe that we forced you to be visited by our doctor. Our guests are free to make their choices and go off property to seek medical assistance, speak to the Tour Operator representative or whatever else they want. As a hotel, we merely want to have an option for our guests, if they ask our assistance. I think your attitude towards us on this point is totally unfair!

The beverages at the Eva Palace are more expensive than in the supermarket. I admit that this is true! The drinks in 5 star hotels can be expensive. Guests have mentioned this in the past also. That is why we reduced the prices of our most popular beverages by about 20% last season and have also introduced the Premium Plus package, whereby all beverages are already paid for and at a very reasonable price. I doubt you will hear from any guest that this package does not offer excellent value for money.

We try our best to show interest in our guests and listen to their opinions. It is not humanly possible for our members of management to be present at every single service transaction. Trust me though when I tell you that a member of management is always close by to offer assistance, information and listen to our guests’ concerns. It is indeed a pity that you did not speak to a member of my management team during your stay. That would have given us the chance to explain many of the things that you clearly misinterpreted.

The management at this hotel is very interested in its guests and I am sorry you feel otherwise. However, the Eva Palace is a profit making organization and not a charity. Therefore, besides attending to our guests, it is also very important that the hotel generates profit which is at least sufficient to sustain its operation. I believe this is common practice in most hotels.

I remain at your disposal for any further clarification you may require.

Mr. Stratos Mavralexakis
Grecotel Eva Palace
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Let's start with the plus points, fantastic views and friendly staff. However the minus points outweighed these for us. Food was only 3 star not 5 star quality and if you are vegetarian your choice is minimal. Wasps just spoilt everything with little being offered to prevent it, from being all over the food in the restaurant, to invading us around the pool.Cats roaming around the tables whilst eating is not acceptable at any level especially 5*. Access to pool & beach areas difficult for anyone elderly or with mobility problems. Also strong smell of sewerage around the hotel. Room did not qualify as 5 star, only basic. If you book this hotel we strongly recommend you take up all inclusive option, as we didn't and found lunch & all drinks extremely expensive.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Stayed second half September and lookked forward to 5 star accommodation.
Food choice and quality was very good whether at breakfast or evening time and meal times gave you plenty of options with out having to rush around.

Restaurant staff were very friendly but surprised that no attempt was made to let you pass in the restaurant area moreover it appeared you were expected to give way.Not what you would expect at all.

Our room service varied from day to day in that your room was cleaned and ready more often that not in the afternoon which is not what you would expect from a 5 Star hotel. Very surprisingly towels quite often had holes in them which is very poor and shows a lack of quality control.

In common with many hotels there are quite often cats walking around which most people have no problem with as they like to give them little food treats.

Much to our amazement one of the hotel restaurant staff chose to tell us we should not feed the cats and yet feeding them was very common place by holiday makers.

One very troublesome problem we did experience was Wasps and lots of them at meal times and not attempt whatsoever was made by the hotel to deal with this issue. If time had been spent dealing with this issue rather than concerning themselves with giving little treats to cats then everybody would have been a lot happier.

All in all this was not a 5 Star hotel at best 4 Star

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grecotel Eva Palace? Share your experiences!