“A unique place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Daauw Home

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huay Xai
Daauw Home
You added Daauw Home to your Saves list
Temple Hill, halfway up stairs to the left | P.O. Box 372, Huay Xai, Laos   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Huay Xai B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A unique place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed in one of the bungalows for 2 nights in April. We thought the bungalows were lovely with a hammock on the balcony, lots of children playing outside and nice H'mong textiles as decoration inside the room. We ate at the restaurant one night (fish special for 2) which was excellent and the restaurant had a nice atmosphere. Similar to other reviewers we didn't eat breakfast there because there didn't seem to be anyone around at that time. Also we had read about the project in advance and would have liked to help out if possible during our stay, but we were kind of left to our own devises although this was probably our fault for not being more forward.

Overall compared to other accommodations in the town, although Daauw house is quite basic it is unique and somewhere we will remember.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Came back to Laos for a short stay and it was great to come back to the Daauw House. Some things were familiar - the bungalows out the back, the firepit in the restaurant, the family atmosphere and sense of welcome, and some of it new - more products for sale, home made soap made on site, notebooks and cards (ditto) as well as a bigger range of handstitched H'mong textiles, bags and other gift items.

The welcome was as warm as ever with Boun-chan running the restaurant (which was busy, a great sign). The family meal was as popular as ever, with the mainly vegetarian meal being the best to be had in Laos.

It was a great opportunity to get some washing done, catch up and get involved. If you want to volunteer there's now even more to get involved in. I helped out with the notebooks, and we even attempted some jewellery with the husks of the coconuts! All ideas and suggestions are welcome.

I love it here, and couldn't recommend it enough! Thanks all x

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

After a first night in Huay Xai (which we found to be a bit of a depressing bordertown), we bumped into this place and were surprised to find such a beautiful spot in this village. Unfortunately they were fully booked, but the staff could offer us a small tent to spend the night in, which we happily accepted. The whole idealistic and friendly atmosphere makes Daauw Home a great place to spend one or more nights. Unfortunately we could only stay one night before moving on, but would have loved to sit around the campfire for many more nights!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

After spending two days in a village homestay, we rolled into Huay Xai dirty and tired. Daauw Home is up the hill from the main drag in town (directions were to go up the temple stairs and make a left - how cool is that?). Welcoming and clean, the staff does move at a Lao-pace. It took a while to get the keys to our bungalows but once in, there was hot water and a comfortable bed. The weather was unusually cold when we were there. A lovely campfire gathered guests and visitors in the evenings and I met some interesting people while warming my toes. Our only disappointment was that the staff was not ready to serve breakfast in the morning before we left for the Gibbon Experience. We would have really liked to spend our food dollars at Daauw. If you are expecting luxury, look elsewhere. If you want solid clean accomodations someplace with a social focus, Daauw is for you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is a little gem of a place to stay for 1 night or more.
It is genuinely benefiting the local people and is fune and warmly welcoming.
It's clean and has great food.
Lara and Nzoua are to be congratulated for starting such a great initiative and attracting devoted genuine others to help them as volunteers.
I am sure it does great work in the community it benefits and it is fun to be part of it.
Don't expect 5 star accom and you will be absolutely delighted with what you find at this welcoming community

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Spent one week at Daauw home and loved it. Laid back, relaxed atmosphere. Stayed in bungalows and camped. Bungalows are great, basic but well maintained and very clean. Camping was great option for anyone on a budget, tent was spacious and comfortable and more than warm enough on cool nights.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I'm not giving this 5 stars for luxury accommodations, although staying in rough-hewn bungalows in the midst of the jungle, and along the river, is very unique, but I would give this 100 stars for the most unique and fascinating cultural exchange experience available throughout SE Asia. My first review of Daauw must have sounded like a sales pitch because they rejected it as promotional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go figure. That demonstrates how much I liked it. The problem I was trying to solve with my initial review is FINDING CONTACT for the place in order to be able to confirm any sort of reservation. Apparently providing contact here on Trip Advisor isn't allowed. I had found Daauw on Trip Advisor myself, but had the hardest time getting contact information or answers to emails to confirm anything and it was a long way to travel without any assurances, so I tried to help travelers by offering ALL the contacts I had finally found, but sorry, that was rejected.

Meantime, this is my overview. I volunteered for 8 days on many levels (bought stuff for the project and the 16 kids who live there, toys, etc, - wrote up some Word documents for volunteers, etc.). I loved helping the local Hmong ladies, I loved sharing my skills, I loved having the chance to give back. Thanks to Lara, thanks to the very gentle pricing (like $8 a night or similar), ANYONE can have an opportunity to sort of live with village people but still enjoy a few creature comforts and clean food, clean beds, and wonderful people. It's really like going back in time to the 60's, everyone sitting around a campfire chatting. Drugs are NOT allowed, although some travelers seem to feel since it's so laidback, anything goes. Anything does NOT go. DO NOT MISS this if you are going through Huay Xai or Houay Xay. It is one-of- a-kind trip highlight rarely on offer. I stayed in Bungalow 1, which offered a double bed and hot shower, but remember these are OPEN to the AIR bungalows with critters and so forth, so be prepared with bug spray and bravery.

When I began this review, it was because I wanted to share my best experience in Laos with other travelers who might be interested in spending good times with the local Hmong people while traveling in No. Laos. I was thinking it was IN A VILLAGE, but it isn't. It FEELS like a village, but it is one block off the main road of the town. This project which is located in Huay Xai, the "wild west" border town along the northern Thai border with Laos, is truly a rare and significantly important project geared to train the Hmong tribal women how to become financially self sustaining with their restaurant and homestay, some really beautiful weaving's and so forth. Volunteers can drop in for an hour or a day to teach English to the kids, to play, draw, shred coconuts, bake, build swings or pour cement right along side the Hmong. We did some lighting and gardening projects, and helped to pass flyers in the evening. Any length of stay is acceptable if you book in advance, and that is a challenge. I finally found the Facebook version of Project Kajsiab Laos and that did the trick. A couple and their two children are volunteering for two years to help the Dutch founder and her Lao husband improve the project grounds, programs and stability. Soon they will be making a film for the Hmong people using Hmong talent. I wish I could be there to help. I found out about the project when I was looking for a night in Huay Xai before going over the border to Thailand. IWhen I found out what they are doing for the locals (they also provide shelter and food for Hmong women and families when they come to the hospital) I decided to take a week out of my travels to stay and help in any way I could. There is a restaurant and a few basic bungalows as well as tents. There are a myriad of ways to help. It is meant as a cultural exchange, a way to improve tolerance and humanity between cultures. Teach English, hang out with your favorite Hmong over the nightly campfire, play guitar and entertain the nightly diners, shred coconut for their daily baking or soap making, help rebuild some structure washed away by the rains, do dishes, wash clothes, help entertain the children, grab a bag and pick up the trash around the neighborhood (a weekly project).

After my first four days with the project, I really felt that this is a once in a lifetime experience. To have the opportunity to live among the Hmong tribal peoples, to learn about their culture, their challenges, trials and successes, to learn about how this country works first hand, to be able to help the less fortunate in their grand efforts to find a new way to live in this world that has been thrust upon them, all add to my thrilling adventure in SE Asia. If you want to volunteer or only stay in a bungalow or eat the best fish you've ever had, contact the Daauw Home. Sorry I can't supply the contact information here but you can find it somewhere on the internet if you are persistent like I was. There were lots of couple and singles, everyone was comfortable.

Room Tip: Don't choose Bungalow 1 if you have asthma or other chest problems because the smoke from the fi...