“genuine warmth and a fun place to visit for 1 night or many” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Daauw Home

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huay Xai
Daauw Home
You added Daauw Home to your Saves list
Temple Hill, halfway up stairs to the left | P.O. Box 372, Huay Xai, Laos   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Huay Xai B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“genuine warmth and a fun place to visit for 1 night or many”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is a little gem of a place to stay for 1 night or more.
It is genuinely benefiting the local people and is fune and warmly welcoming.
It's clean and has great food.
Lara and Nzoua are to be congratulated for starting such a great initiative and attracting devoted genuine others to help them as volunteers.
I am sure it does great work in the community it benefits and it is fun to be part of it.
Don't expect 5 star accom and you will be absolutely delighted with what you find at this welcoming community

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Spent one week at Daauw home and loved it. Laid back, relaxed atmosphere. Stayed in bungalows and camped. Bungalows are great, basic but well maintained and very clean. Camping was great option for anyone on a budget, tent was spacious and comfortable and more than warm enough on cool nights.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I'm not giving this 5 stars for luxury accommodations, although staying in rough-hewn bungalows in the midst of the jungle, and along the river, is very unique, but I would give this 100 stars for the most unique and fascinating cultural exchange experience available throughout SE Asia. My first review of Daauw must have sounded like a sales pitch because they rejected it as promotional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go figure. That demonstrates how much I liked it. The problem I was trying to solve with my initial review is FINDING CONTACT for the place in order to be able to confirm any sort of reservation. Apparently providing contact here on Trip Advisor isn't allowed. I had found Daauw on Trip Advisor myself, but had the hardest time getting contact information or answers to emails to confirm anything and it was a long way to travel without any assurances, so I tried to help travelers by offering ALL the contacts I had finally found, but sorry, that was rejected.

Meantime, this is my overview. I volunteered for 8 days on many levels (bought stuff for the project and the 16 kids who live there, toys, etc, - wrote up some Word documents for volunteers, etc.). I loved helping the local Hmong ladies, I loved sharing my skills, I loved having the chance to give back. Thanks to Lara, thanks to the very gentle pricing (like $8 a night or similar), ANYONE can have an opportunity to sort of live with village people but still enjoy a few creature comforts and clean food, clean beds, and wonderful people. It's really like going back in time to the 60's, everyone sitting around a campfire chatting. Drugs are NOT allowed, although some travelers seem to feel since it's so laidback, anything goes. Anything does NOT go. DO NOT MISS this if you are going through Huay Xai or Houay Xay. It is one-of- a-kind trip highlight rarely on offer. I stayed in Bungalow 1, which offered a double bed and hot shower, but remember these are OPEN to the AIR bungalows with critters and so forth, so be prepared with bug spray and bravery.

When I began this review, it was because I wanted to share my best experience in Laos with other travelers who might be interested in spending good times with the local Hmong people while traveling in No. Laos. I was thinking it was IN A VILLAGE, but it isn't. It FEELS like a village, but it is one block off the main road of the town. This project which is located in Huay Xai, the "wild west" border town along the northern Thai border with Laos, is truly a rare and significantly important project geared to train the Hmong tribal women how to become financially self sustaining with their restaurant and homestay, some really beautiful weaving's and so forth. Volunteers can drop in for an hour or a day to teach English to the kids, to play, draw, shred coconuts, bake, build swings or pour cement right along side the Hmong. We did some lighting and gardening projects, and helped to pass flyers in the evening. Any length of stay is acceptable if you book in advance, and that is a challenge. I finally found the Facebook version of Project Kajsiab Laos and that did the trick. A couple and their two children are volunteering for two years to help the Dutch founder and her Lao husband improve the project grounds, programs and stability. Soon they will be making a film for the Hmong people using Hmong talent. I wish I could be there to help. I found out about the project when I was looking for a night in Huay Xai before going over the border to Thailand. IWhen I found out what they are doing for the locals (they also provide shelter and food for Hmong women and families when they come to the hospital) I decided to take a week out of my travels to stay and help in any way I could. There is a restaurant and a few basic bungalows as well as tents. There are a myriad of ways to help. It is meant as a cultural exchange, a way to improve tolerance and humanity between cultures. Teach English, hang out with your favorite Hmong over the nightly campfire, play guitar and entertain the nightly diners, shred coconut for their daily baking or soap making, help rebuild some structure washed away by the rains, do dishes, wash clothes, help entertain the children, grab a bag and pick up the trash around the neighborhood (a weekly project).

After my first four days with the project, I really felt that this is a once in a lifetime experience. To have the opportunity to live among the Hmong tribal peoples, to learn about their culture, their challenges, trials and successes, to learn about how this country works first hand, to be able to help the less fortunate in their grand efforts to find a new way to live in this world that has been thrust upon them, all add to my thrilling adventure in SE Asia. If you want to volunteer or only stay in a bungalow or eat the best fish you've ever had, contact the Daauw Home. Sorry I can't supply the contact information here but you can find it somewhere on the internet if you are persistent like I was. There were lots of couple and singles, everyone was comfortable.

Room Tip: Don't choose Bungalow 1 if you have asthma or other chest problems because the smoke from the fi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Had a great dinner and was a nice place to met fellow travellers
The place is doing a lot of good work helping the locals learn skills, so pls make allowances for any gaps in their service
Room was very basic (wooden shack, mosquito net with some holes), but bed/linen was fine. At 80,000k it was perhaps a touch pricey. If you don't like an edgy night, then have dinner here, but stay somewhere else
Overall it felt good to give something back though

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed two nights at Daauw Home in Hauy Xai. It really made an impression on us. Not only does the place looks wonderful. The stories of and good work Lara and her husband do for the Hill Tribe women are really inspiring. A great place to stay in Huay Xai where your money and voluntary effort really can make a difference. Also the communal diner is one of the best I had when visiting Laos! Next time in Laos we are planning on staying longer!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thursday Island, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This place was memorable, firstly due to its extremely good cause for which they are very devoted to and it seems almost every penny you spend goes directly towards it. Secondly we really enjoyed the huge authentic feasts they served up at a good price and at night we washed it down with a few beer laos and some good chat around the fire ! The bungalows are quirky, comfortable and have everything you need.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I wanted to go on the Gibbon Experience as the crowning end to four months travel in SE Asia early 2013. Because I was pressed for time I was to fly in to Huay Xai but the Gibbon office would not be open when I landed. Therefore I checked TA to see where to stay one night. I found Kajsiab Project Laos or Daauw Home as "interesting" but unusual? So they picked me up at the airport (Va Her picked me up) and in a few minutes I was at my bungalow knowing I would NOT take Gibbon Experience but spend my last 8 nights volunteering at this home that is a shelter for Hmong women. I worked cutting down bamboo, painting roof panels and washing dishes late into the evening. Every person I met left me humbled and eager to look at my life in a different way. In six months I will return to volunteer again, to see the lovely people that I was so fortunate to meet, and to look for more ways that I can help them in their work. Check out their website and consider emailing Lara about your opportunities there. PS I rented the bungalow with hot water. You don't need hot water. :) Steve

Room Tip: This is a bungalow. It is rustic. I stayed four months from bungalow rustic to five star and this...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Daauw Home? Share your experiences!