“Ok, but not amazing as we expected!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Largo
Sol Cayo Largo
You added Sol Cayo Largo to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cayo Largo del Sur | Archipiélago de los Canarreos, Cayo Largo, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Montreal, Canada
“Ok, but not amazing as we expected!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We are a young couple from Canada. This was our 4th trip to Cuba and the most expensive hotel we ever have been to, so we expected something really amazing and were quite disappointed, especially at the very beginning. The check-in was awful! Receptionist named Kirenia was rude to us, she behaved as if she owns the hotel. Yes, we are young and not regulars, but still she could do an effort! She flatly refused to give us a room in the section we wanted (not on the outskirts of the resort) under the pretext that everything is occupied. Not true, as we arrived by taxi before a plane load of other people waiting for the bus at the airport! Also, she doesn't speak English at all, or at least she said so. The next day she didn't know what the evening activity is, and again talked to us unfriendly.

The second negative impression was a lack of activities. It is not only my opinion, but some other younger people I met at the resort told me the same thing. Yes, dance show in the evening is excellent, but during the day there are not much things to do. More accurately, a lot of activities are listed, but they are not well organized, and the daytime animation team (by the way very numerous) lacks of youth and dynamism. I have been to another Sol hotel (at Holguin) before, and it was so much better! Also, it seems that animators apply all their energy to invite you out of the hotel, to Marina, where they organize White party, Cuban party, etc. Sure enough, to go over there you have to pay taxi and drinks aren't included. This is all-inclusive hotel, in theory animation is included as well, so I don't understand or approve this strategy!

Well, now about a better part of our stay. The room and food were quite nice. I didn't try hamburgers, but grilled chicken and pork at BBQ were excellent! And the man working at the grill was so friendly and talkative that we loved going to lunch. Another nice person we liked a lot was Juliet from the reception, we always waited for her shift to go ask any questions we had.
Lobby bar's barmen are doing great job, they work fast and most drinks are excellent, except for a pina colada which is more a slush than a real thing.

It is true that hotel grounds are very well kept, they can easily belong to a 5 star hotel. Swimming pool is very clean and filled with salt water. The lobby is modern, with comfortable furniture. The beach is huge and there are enough palapas for everybody. However, Sirena and Paraiso beaches are better choice, as they are truly exceptional. When there is no wind, you can make amazing photos, similar to those from advertising campaigns.

For excursions I advise to visit a tourist information center at the Marina, there you can buy a 1 peso ticket to see turtle farm which is right next to this office, and also you can get a useful info on other excursions for a much better price than from travel agencies representatives at the hotel.

Room Tip: If you like to be in the middle of everything, chose blocks 7, 8, 14, 15. They are between a pool an...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HGeneralManager, Director General at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Elina:

We really appreciate your comments on the hotel.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed our gardens, the grill and part of our staff.
Your negative experiences are also important to us since they help us to improve our services and ourselves.
We hope we can have the chance to have you here again in order to make things better and make your stay as amazing as you expected and deserved.

Best regards,
Hotel Sol Cayo Largo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was my 4th annual trip to the SCL. The staff seemed unaware that I am a regular. The water was too rough for snorkel fun, but you can't blame the hotel on that. However, on the 3rd day I came down with Montezuma's revenge. Now normally I'd roll with the punches and eat lots of rice to rush the toxins through my system. But some bright spark in the buffet kitchens (both of them!) decided that for the month of January, all rice was to be undercooked and more than a little al dente. Even the night they had rice pudding for the dessert, the rice was undercooked. I spoke to the waitress about this, but nothing was done for the last 4 days of my vacation. And then I found out that that there was a new prohibition on tour boats going to Cayo Iguana. I don't miss the iguanas, as there are wild lizards of various sizes running wild on Cayo Largo, but Cayo Iguana is the only place you can see a Demarest's Hutia in the wild. The bar was, predictably, out of tonic water. My suite, 2314, seemed to have less hot water and less pressure than units I occupied in recent years.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Ms John;
Thank you for letting us know your impressions about your recently stay in Sol Cayo Largo. Your opinion it has been valuable because you gave us important elements in order to achieve a better service and client’s satisfaction.Our apologize for the situation with hydraulic supply and yours perceptions about food.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back if you decide to return to Sol Cayo Largo hotel.

Kitchener, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Enjoyed a nice family trip to this resort. The beach and staff were amazing (Salvaj). Some of our rooms got flooded during an overnight thunderstorm which was a nasty surprise but it wasn't bad. The food was great - loved the pasta stations and friendly wait staff. We were there for my parent's 25th wedding anniversary and they helped us make it extra special. The front desk was such a help! We also went to Paraiso beach a couple times and took a snorkel cruise - both were great! This place isn't a 5 star but we enjoyed it a lot. I would not recommend it for older people as the steps down to the beach aren't the safest.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Estimated:
Thank you for letting us know your impressions about your recently stay in Sol Cayo Largo. Your opinion it has been valuable because you gave us important elements in order to achieve a better service and client’s satisfaction,our apoligize for inconvenience in room be sure we are managing solutions.
It will be a great pleasure to receive you once again and that you can enjoy the attractions of the Place.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This was our second trip to SCL in two years. Last year was our first trip to Cuba, and having looked at all the other options we new we couldn't go wrong in returning. We did two weeks from Jan 9th to 23rd. Trip booked through ACV which was excellent in itself.

We noticed several improvements over last year, which we never had any complaints about in the first place.

The food has improved, with more options for fruit and veggies. The meat as usual is excellent. I think I noticed more pasta dishes as well on the menu. Just more options overall really.

The resort itself has been spruced up a little, with the first obvious difference the lobby. It looks more modern now.

The beach is fantastic, and they do a really good job cleaning up the beach prior to the guests heading down in the morning. It isn't obvious until you wander over to the other resorts and see all the seaweed and crap everywhere. We also noticed how much more crowded the other resort beaches appeared to be compared to the SCL. I have to hand it to Junior down at the beach. He was really quick to notice everyone looking for chairs, ensuring he got everyone seated. He even fixed any broken chairs on the spot and brushed all the sand off to make sure that you were comfortable.

Our primary concern on vacation is the beach and the snorkeling. Everything else comes secondary. Obviously the beach at the resort is fantastic. But even the snorkeling if amazing right off the hotel. There is plenty to see all within a quick 5 minute swim. I even found some new spots I wasn't even aware of from last year.

We did book the "snorkeling special" excursion which left from Sirenas on a small boat out to the coral reef. However after my exploring at the hotel beach I would say you almost won't see anything on the snorkeling excursion you won't find right off the hotel. Save your money!

Prior to our leaving I had emailed the resort requesting the same room block or area as last year. I did not receive a response unfortunately but I wasn't terribly disappointed. However I was pleasantly surprised to receive the room next to our last room when we got our room keys. Either it was a fantastic coincidence or they did indeed receive my request! We had 3723 this year. Which is an excellent location on the south west corner of the resort. Nice and close to the beach and further from the entertainment for a bit of quiet at night.

The room itself was great. The bed isn't anything spectacular, but neither myself or my girlfriend had any complaints. The A/C worked great during the hotter first week. We did not receive a hammock but after writing a nice request to our maid she produced one that afternoon. Unfortunately I forget her name, but the was fantastic!!! Always a great job cleaning the room, and she ensured we had a new towel animal each day!

We did not try the pool out (that's what the beach is for!!) but did notice that they had done some nice upgrades this past off season. It was in great shape and well maintained.

The grounds were immaculate, and each day you could see everyone cleaning and trimming all the plants.

I really have no negatives from this trip. In fact we've already been discussing a return again next January.

Room Tip: Room block 37 has served us well. Nice and close to the beach!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your comments about excellent trip to Cayo Largo as you kindly say.We are pleased for reach your expectations in two trips and it is also good to know that you've already been discussing a return again next January.

Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Our 12 th. time at the Sol Hotel in Cayo Largo.
We stayed for 2 weeks

We would like to say Hi to a couple of friends, Ibelises is leaving Cayo Largo and will be greatly missed but we will see her in Havana, we wish you all the best in your new venture we love you.
Hi ti Ivo thanks for being such a good friend, we will see you agin next year, Noel, Coffy, Omar, Edwardo, Nester, Angel, Neisy, George. The bar tenders at the lobby bar and the staff at the front desk and the maids...

Check-in:
Check-in was easy and our room was ready.

Room:
Hotel is full.
Nice and clean, every thing was alright and as expected at the hotel. We had a nice ocean view and were in the quiet area of the resort Room 3622 we had a problem with hot water none for almost 3 days. Also I think it`s time to buy new beds.

Restaurant and bars:
Even if the hotel is full, there was no line-ups except for the BBQ at lunch, we found that the food quaility was down from last year, a couple of people told us the same. I got food poisioning eating a hamburger the first week we were there. I seen the doctor he gave me some pills that I had to take for 7 day`s and I had to stay in the hotel room for almost 3 day`s I wasn`t the only one, there were 3 people in front of me at the doctors office who had the same as I had...

They hired a Chef from Italy and maybe it`s time to hire a Chef from Canada...We heard that they are making the Sol hotel into a 5 Star Hotel in the next couple of years maybe 1 or 2 years. That means prices will go up, there are also alot of changes, they took down the bridge that crosses over the pool, The hand painted murals on the walls at the front desk were painted over with white paint what a shame..

Weather:
Great weather mostly 28 C. 30 C. rained one morning the first week we arrived but lasted about 30 min. and the sun came out.

Beach:
Perfect as usual with lots of sand in front of the many palapas...Plenty of chairs and shade for every one, even if hotel is full.

Site:
Well maintained and kept clean, including the bathrooms all over the site. Lots of workers always busy and smiling.

Over all we love Cayo Largo we have been comming here for the past 12 years and we will be back again next year, my partner and I talked about comming back next year for a month but with the food quality we just might do 2 weeks in Oct. and 2 weeks again in Jan.

This is really a place to relax and fun this is not a place for children if you have children go to the Sol pelicano nex

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
Dear Mr Ray:
Thank you so much for your loyalty to Sol Cayo Largo . It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back in our hotel.We are going to send your regards to each friend (Ibelise and the others) ,who have made memorable your stay year after year.

Best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Departure and flight:
Left Mtl the day after a freezing rain storm that left the airport shut for 2 hours and the subsequent delays and cancellations impacted our departure: 2 hours delay in Montreal that was unfortunately not forcasted by Canjet (We were advised of the delay at time of boarding). Poor communication by the Canjet crew in the plane while waiting on the runway. Smooth ride en route to Cayo Largo in the ugliest plane ever with the green leather seats...

Arrival and customs:
Quickly trough at the airport, for the first time, our luggage came out very quickly, so out we were in no time, jumped into a taxi and got to the Hotel in record time.

Check-in:
Check-in was easy and got to the room easily with the help of two nice gentlemen with a cart.

Room:
Hotel is full.
Nice and clean, every thing was alright and as expected at the hotel. We had a nice view and were in the quiet area of the resort as we had requested (thank you, it is really appreciated).

Restaurant and bars:
Even if the hotel is full, there was no line-ups except for the BBQ at lunch (That guy deserves a special treat for staying in there in the smoke to grill). As usual, the staff recognized us (3 times at the hotel and 8 in Cayo Largo) and was as friendly as it can be.
Food was as usual, in quantity and continuously refilled and good quality.
Yusimi and her friends were very friendly and helpfull as always...at the Runcheon. If you do not see her and know her, she is pregnant and will be out for her maternity leave (yes they have such a thing in Cuba also)

Weather:
Cold front was in in the middle of the stay with 20 C and wind from the north. This could happen, it is winter there also. but no rain and the sun mostly present with nice sunsets...

Beach:

Site:
Well maintained and kept clean, including the bathroom all over the site. Lots of workers always busy and smiling.

Return:
As always there is always and end to a week in paradise, and we had to come back. Checkout was quick, bus oon time and went trough quickly at the airport. The wait was not to bad as this was a fairly small plane (180 passengers).
Canjet flight was late again (1 hour).
Ride was smooth and quickly trough the gate, customs and luggage caroussel.

Conclusion:
We can't wait to go back...It is still the same and hopefully will remain...
For those looking for the fiesta, the disco, the loud crowd, the shoping, the extensive dinners and the fancy dress codes...Look somewhere else...

Room Tip: South side is quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Christian;
We are pleased to know we have reached your expectations again and it is also good to know that you can't wait to come back!!
We hope to see you soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Just perfect! Ideal place to relax, read, walk on paradise beaches, swim in a dream sea :-) the staff is incredible. Always with a smile and there to help you make your stay confortable. The rooms are very clean. The beach speaks for itself!! The only downside is the food becomes very same same day after day after day....Vegies are not part of the menu.....
This is a fantastic place to relax and enjoy quiet time.
If you are looking for a place to party, dance, etc. This is not for you

Dear Serje:
Thanks for your impressions about recently stay in Sol Cayo Largo. Our apoligize for yours perceptions about variety of meals ,we will keep on working hard in order to improve the standard for clients who choose us as beautiful and relaxing destination.It will be a great pleasure to receive you once again for enjoy a dream sea and paradise beaches.

Fernando Martin

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!