“great facility, though misquitoes ruins it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Largo
Sol Cayo Largo
You added Sol Cayo Largo to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cayo Largo del Sur | Archipiélago de los Canarreos, Cayo Largo, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Toronto, Canada
“great facility, though misquitoes ruins it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

most of the services and staffs were great.
they work long hours. 12 hr days. 3 weeks straight. they get one week off to go home to their family, as most do not live on the island.

Food at the buffet is great. Though buffet restaurant should be screened in and a/c, to avoid misquitoes and flies. As in the evening, its hard to relax and enjoy a meal when you are busy swatting away misquitoes. and yes, we are constantly spraying "off:.
A la carte and the beach buffet restaurant is quite disappointing.

Accommodation is outdated, though we don't care. though I understand they are beginning to update all the rooms.

Beach. Amazing !!! plus May-Sept sea turtles come on shore to laid their eggs. Resort has an onsite marine biologist that cares for these eggs, and is willing to share his experience with you. Its the most amazing thing !!!
FYI - its not a leisurely snorkelling kinda beach. the waves are quite prominent. its great for body surfing and jumping the waves. my kids loved it. 11-17yrs. younger parents can take the free shuttle service to a nearby beach if they want.

Nudity, to the right of the beach, there's a nude beach area. quite innocent and natural. If you're into that, this is the perfect place for you. Our kids are 11-17yr old, and we had to go into the nude area for turtle egg hunting, and it didn't bother them one bit.

Room Tip: we stayed in the 1400 building. it was the perfect location. Note - each building holds 4 rooms, 2...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Clients
We are thankful for been chosen to enjoy your vacations with your kids .
About the presence of mosquitoes and flies ,be sure we are managing solutions.Thanks for posting that we are making constructive improvements in rooms,beside projected close cooling the restaurant Buffet in a near future.
It will be a great pleasure to receive you once again and that you can enjoy the attractions of the Place.
At your disposal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed here in 3 rooms - Ocean view room, very good. Kids had 2 twin rooms - daughters complained about damp and wet beds, they went to reception to asl what they could do and after about 30 mins were given another room - excellent service. My sons also complaianed to me and thought they were just envious - as it turned out, their air con was probably also faulty (discovered when we swept the room on last day for left clothing) but they did not inform reception, so it was not the hotels fault.
We loved the hotel - al the staff were grab - only miserable ones were the bar staff near reception who tended to ignore us because we did not speak spanish. We ate at two reserved restaurants, the one near the main dining area was exceptional, tasty, well presented food. Only downside was the waiter who stood at the end of the table waving his hands in the air, basically asking (by hand signals) who was ready to order!!! Despite all inclusive we could not get his attention to give us any wine while we waited to order and then when we did order he got it wrong - twice ( for one of us) - dined on 21st table for 6 ( letter said 1930 - booking said 1900 - nearly lost the booking).However, we think he was a waiter in training as another guy seemed to be correcting his mistakes :). My 4 kids are very annoyingly fussy - I have seen some comments saying the food was not good........ they must have a problem - there was so much to choose from, it catered for everyone. The food all round was excellent. Recommend - plenty of sun beds so no getting up at crack of dawn and local diving centre good but pricey (40.00 per dive). Days boat trip worth the money.

Room Tip: Plastic mattress covers very uncomfortable - we took ours off as it made the bed feel damp. Ocean vi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Clients,
We really appreciate your opinion that you have published on Trip Advisor. It is important to know your experiences,also I would like to apologize for some staff´s attitudes not according with the courtesy we used to give in Sol Cayo Largo .
We are grateful about goods things that you mention besides for to recommend our hotel and destination. It will be a pleasure welcome you back.
Best regards,
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was my fourth trip to cayo largo and the second visit to this hotel. Having visited all the other hotels (Cayo largo is a small island with less than 10 hotels), I will definitely stick to this one, it is the BEST! Buffet is by far the fanciest on the island and service is very good but please remember you are in Cuba... Try to get ocean view room on the second floor, it is worth worth the extra$$$ and you will not be disapointed. A free shuttle picks you up every morning to the diving center and a small choo choo train brings you to the most magnificent tuirquoise beaches on earth, just like on post cards! While the hotel is not new but very well maintained it is a very quiet place, you never feel overcrowded and there is also a nude beach where straights and gays have no problem sharing the spot. My new girlfriend discovered the pleasure of swimming nude! You can walk naked for miles and miles but don't forget to bring water, hat, umbrella and sunscreen!!! The beach restaurant has a fabulous atmosphere while food is good but not as good as the night buffet or the à la carte restaurant. Overall perfect for a romantic getaway! There is no peddlers or girls hanging around. Not many families around too, the Pelicano hotel located next is more suitable for kids and is very NOISY. When you try the SOL after having tried the other island hotels, you will understand why! This will remain my secret spot for relaxing and diving. The best dive season is around may-june, water is crystal clear!!! Also great for scubadiving beginners as it is not very deep... PARADISE!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Client;
We really appreciate your positive comments about Hotel and our Hidden Paradise, exclusive and virgin beaches.
We are pleased to know we have reached your expectations again and it is also good to know that Sol Cayo Largo will be your choice many times in the future. Thank you so much for your loyalty.
All of us would love to see you back soon.
Best Regards,

London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Travelled Aug 12-19/2013
It was my first time in Cayo Largo eventhough I have travelled to Cuba many times, and I really enjoyed my stay! We arrived early but we came prepared and packed for a quick change and hit the beach. What an amazing view! As one comes over the dunes and the beach suddently appears, it takes your breath away. Beautiful white sand and turquoise ocean as far as the eye can see. We didn't care when check in was, we were in paradise! It is true the waves were big and powerful, but what fun! We ended up swimming further East of the hotel where the waves were less intimidating. From the moment we arrived to our last day, we had great service from the very hard working staff. Gracias amigos! Loved the beach restaurant and bar. The food was great with nice BBQ food as a bonus at lunch. The food at the main buffet was varied and of good quality. Can't go wrong with fresh fish and meats! Our accomodations were confortable with a large room and a cold AC. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The pool was a popular spot but we like the ocean better so can't really comment on it. There was a section of the pool under construction but it is now finished and it looks great. Everywhere we went, we were greeded with smiles and felt very relaxed and peaceful. We walked daily on the beach and enjoyed the solitude and the warm sun.
Don't miss Playa Paraiso, pictures don't do justice to this magical beach! A bus picks you up and drives you to the marina where you take a short boat ride to Playa Serena. From here, it is a quick hike to Playa Pariso. Not the easiest hike, since one has to to face the waves walking along the shore but worth it. Go all the way to where the waves disappear and one sees the long white sand bars extending into the sea. Beautiful area to swim and admire Mother Nature at it's best. It was difficult to leave such an amazing place but i know we will come back.

Room Tip: Our room was closer to the pool and entertainment area ; others are closer to the ocean and further...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear customers:
I am very glad to receive your opinions through so important FORUM as it is Tripadvisor.
We would like to welcome you back again just because it is a perfect place, for enjoy the charm and quiet of the island, turquoise beaches ,nice people.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I went the first week of October 2012 and we absolutely fell in love with the place which is why we're so excited to be heading back again on September 2nd. We can't wait to see again some of the amazing staff members we became freinds with on our last trip.

Orly always kept our beer glasses full, Annabel always greeted us with a huge smile at dinner time! There were others too unfortunately I can't remember their names. But big hugs and thank you's to all!!

If you're looking to party, might wanna try Jamaica instead. If you want peaceful relaxation in the Caribbean where you can go for a walk on the beach and suddenly realize you have miles of white sand beach and crystal clear blue ocean to yourself, this place is it!!!

Hola from Canada!! See you again soon :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Shane,Mavis:
We are pleased that you have spent a good vacation in Cayo Largo where we certainly have a beautiful beach and thank you very much for to have chosen our Sol Cayo Largo hotel . A big pleasure welcome you bag in a few days.

At your disposal
Port Perry, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just back from a quick, last minute visit (Aug 12-19) and enjoyed the time. It was our third time there.

A slight problem at check in (before lunch arrival...check-in supposedly at 3:00...roompromised by 3:00 but still not ready) Oslaidya (hope I got that right) from customer services and Arlin from Hola Sun made things more or less right (an extra a la carte dinner....free late check out didn't really cut it when pick up for the airport was at 8:00 a.m.) We also got a room change the next day from an area near the pool where we didn't want to be to a quieter area in Hab C. They really came through to keep us happy with a minimum of fuss.

Everything in the room worked well, food and service was good at the bars, Ranchon, the buffet, the a la cartes and the returning guest dinner. Lots of choice at the buffet for breakfast and dinner and nobody seemed to go hungry at the Ranchon for lunch. There were a few flies about but really no problem that I could see.

Hola, por favor, gracias and a few small tips really seem to go a long way towards excellent service. After the first day we were greeted promptly at the buffet and Ranchon and our drink preferences confirmed...by the third the drinks showed up almost as soon as we did and were refilled without us needing to ask.

We spent most of our time (except for the long wait for a room) on the beach so I can't comment on other activities. Work on the western pool was ongoing...it was being filled on Sunday and in use on Monday. Looked really great.

The evening excursion to see turtles coming out of the water, laying eggs and returning was well worth the 10 CUC's (and staying awake after 10:00 p.m.). We also got to see eggs being gathered on the beach during the day and baby turtles released into the ocean...including some that hatched on the beach rather than in the protected areas.

We had virtually no problem with mosquitoes. There were a few buzzing about around at dusk but the turtle excursion (started at 10:00 p.m.) seemed mosquito free. The final morning (around 7:00 to 7:30) after checking out and having coffee in the lobby bar there were a few. Mosquitoes being attracted to heat and C02 the bar in the evening and show area were probably more infested.

There were a few large, biting horsefly type things at the beach but no problem to me. They were easy to spot and to swat.

If you enjoy getting away from everything and just relaxing this is a great place to do it. I do and hope to do it again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Clients:
We are pleased about your review published on Trip Advisor regarding your last stay with us and hopefully we wish to welcome back in Cayo Largo as soon as you say.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I am very late writing this review as I visited the Sol Cayo Largo last October 2012!
I only remembered to put in my opinion now as I plan with any luck, to return this coming October :)
I loved this hotel and I loved this little island as well!
Someone else on here wrote such a poor review that I couldn't help but laugh knowing how inaccurate the review was, and how crabby that poor traveller must be, lol! Some people should just stay home and eat french fries....."No waiters in the lobby"....I hope that was a joke!!!
I went to SCL as a solo female traveller and was treated beautifully at all times by the resort staff (and other visitors as well!) There were very few English speaking people on the resort, but I always found someone to talk to and LOVED the Argentinian men who tipped their hats at me on their way by!
The hotel itself was clean, well kept and when my AC didn't work upon arrival, someone was in my room within 15 minutes to solve the problem. The rooms aren't fancy, but they are clean and that's what matters the most. One thing I might suggest is a small flashlight or headlamp. It's a bit dark in some areas at night and no one wants to step on a big crab!
The beach is unbelievable, from what I understand the high water line is constantly changing as are water conditions so there is no accurate way to predict what you will end up with. Regardless, it's the prettiest beach I've ever strolled and having travelled through much of Southeast Asia, that is saying something!
The food was the best selection I've ever seen in Cuba and I couldn't have gone hungry if I tried. No fresh orange juice? Really people? Who cares! There were 4 other types of fresh juice to choose from. Lots of made on the spot food (omelettes, crepes, BBQ) for the pickier types. One thing I'd like to suggest is more green salad, even if only in the form of cucumbers. Pasta and rice salad is the staple but they get a bit heavy after a few days. When the cucumber stocks ran out I was a sad little monkey.....The buffet was a bit hot with the sun pouring in and I am unfortunately the sweaty type....quick solution, no sunscreen until after breakfast, LOL! Staff in the buffet and Ranchon were all lovely, friendly and quick to help. A special thanks to Nestor and Anabel who greeted me with huge smiles each day, stopped to chat and were quick to find me a table in the shade ;) I was thrilled when Nestor saw me sitting alone and presented me with a photo album of his family....they make you feel not like a guest, but a friend as well. All the staff work very hard, work long hours and miss their families very much so please treat them with the same kindness and respect they show to you.
My only true complaint was the pool. I understand renovations have been made but while I was there (low season) maintenance and cleanliness seemed to fall by the wayside. The fountain in the main pool was off, the water looked cloudy and the pool liner was ripped in several places. That sounds like a silly thing to complain about but the liner was REALLY ripped to the point where water got under it, you could barely walk due to the air/water bubbles and your feet would often touch bare pool bottom where the liner was missing altogether. I like to head to the pool after a day of battling sandy ears on the beach and this pool was not terribly refreshing. So I'm hoping, 'renos' means 'fixed' because it would be a disappointment to find it in the same condition. Having said that, 4 mojitos at the pool bar tended to dull my issues.
Heads up on the mosquito spraying: Although the spraying is done by a very old, very cool to see airplane, you'd best be running inside when you see it because it's spraying the property. I went to dinner early one night and was completely unable to stop coughing for some reason. When I got to the buffet, all the staff and guests were coughing as well and I realized spraying had just occurred and we were all inhaling it. I'm not against the spraying, but I suggest if you notice this reaction you head back to your room for an hour or so, lol!
Bring your bubba cup, a flashlight, bug spray and a good attitude and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Lady:
I am very glad to receive your opinions through this important FORUM as it is Tripadvisor. Please, receive our gratitude for choosing and love our Resort and place.
I may assure that I had share your comments with our staff, who felt very happy and motivated to continue working to offer a better quality service.About pool just yesterday we have completed the total renovation.
Wishing to welcome you in october
Kind regards,

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!