“15th visit to Cuba, First to Sol Cayo Largo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Largo
Sol Cayo Largo
You added Sol Cayo Largo to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cayo Largo del Sur | Archipiélago de los Canarreos, Cayo Largo, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Niagara Falls, Canada
“15th visit to Cuba, First to Sol Cayo Largo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have just returned from our first visit to this hotel January 18-25, 2013 and our overall impression was very positive. Check in was instant(never happened before at any of the other hotels we stayed at), great front desk staff. Room was very clean and great location 1621, all the staff that we encountered were very courteous and efficient. The grounds were well kept and beautiful.

As seniors we found the access to the beach after the boardwalk was difficult due to the flat rocks covered with sand. The food was good and some days better.Never had a problem with getting clean towels either for the room or the beach.

Overall we would definitely return to this hotel and would recommend it.

Sincerely

Guests from Niagara Falls, Canada

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1621, beware there are 22 steps up to the room, lower level would be better especi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Srs Yazaroglu:

We are proud to be part of good comments in your first stay with us , our main objective is to reach a good memory of vacation in our guest.I am very glad to share with our staff who feel always motivated to know how do our clients enjoy their vacations.
Thank you for your kindness and we are happy to welcome back.

Best Regards
Thomas Lehnhooff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent a week Jan 10-17, this is my 4th time going to the Sol Cayo Largo..I will never go to any other resort on this island this is the best so far.... I had as usual a great time at the hotel. the food was ok, not the best but you can not expect more as it is Cuba, It is not Montreal or France....The only thing I would removed from the menu a la carte is the salmon, do not serve frozen salmon.. I had it the night of my birthday, and I had to returned it...it was hard like rock.

I was disappointed, as it was my birthday, I was turning 50..... I had requested a room on the ocean front.... we had a nice room from our concierge... we had some views from our room of the ocean....it was room 2921... but I saw during my stay....empty ocean front rooms..at least 6...I am sorry but this is high season and during high season... if I may suggest...do not do repairs of rooms....repair them before the high season ...... She told us she had one left... and she couldn't give it to us...that was the downside..

Service is good from every part of the hotel, althought I was refused a bottle of water...I am really sorry, but I work for an hotel in Montreal...and I would never refuse a bottle of water to our customer.. I do pay... I am a customer...so I expect to get at least a bottle of water when I asked for one.....I had to go to the front desk and begged the concierge, which she was very nice and gave me one...too bad I do not remember her name...but she gave us our room when we checked in on the 10th...Also you need to fix your air conditionning and your fan in your rooms... they are noisy :)but this is not a big deal....

Cezar and crew in the restaurant....are always....soooo nice...and generous....and always give an excellent service...It was on Jan 16 the birthday of his work partner in the restaurant which I do not remember his name...we gave him lots of gift on that night....so Thomas, please say HI to him from us..... people from Montreal.... I have to say that the person who is making the eggs and omelettes in the morning... is getting very good at it.....

Beaches.....beaches...and beaches...... I have to say that when we arrived....it was windy....and the ocean was moving a lot....of course their was a lot of algues on the beach...but I have a concern to express..... Cuba needs to clean their beaches from the plastic bottles....it's everywhere when you walk along the beach going toward west.....that's why WE people are going there...it's for your pristine beaches....so please Thomas...pass on the message to all your Hotels managers and the Mayor or responsible of the Island.... you NEED to do something about the bottles and sandals...and all garbages on the beaches...PLEASE....

And finally.... I will return next year for sure...as always.... it is a real paradise....so close to home..... thanks again to all of you Cubans to make it a paradise :)....

Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We spent 3 weeks in January at the Sol Cayo Largo, this is are 10th time there we want to say hi to a couple of our friends (Ibelisese, Noel, Micheal, Ivo), The weather was great mid 80`s no rain during the day rained sometimes late at night, we had a great time the food was great lots of choices from fresh fruit, pasta, vegitables, pork, beef, ect.

They were renovating 16 Hotel units while we were there, looking very nice...The Beach is beautiful and the coast line is a little ruff at places, this is a place to relax and enjoy nature and your stay..

This is not a place for childrend if you have kids go next door to the Sol Pelicano they are equiped with alot of acttivity`s for childrend even daycare childrends pool, ect.

The Cuban people make you feel at home and will go out of there way to please you or to help you, they work very hard they work 20 day`s a month and 12 hours per day for 15 pesos a month so if you can help please leave a peso for you maid, waiter, and the grounds keeper that will get a coconut from the tree and will open it up for you to drink....

This year there were people from Italy, Russia, Canada, Argentine, England, Germany. we met alot of nice people and new friends,

We will be back again next year....

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter try the ocearnvieu 3624 very nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Patrice and Ray:

We are proud to be part of your good comments, as special customers who choose our beautiful destination over and over attracted by the charm of beaches and the kindness of Cubans .It will be a great pleasure to receive you next year.

My Best.
saint john n.b.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Spent a week January 10-17,2013 at this resort with my daughter and 2 friends I.have stayed at many Melia complexes before but this was an unexpected delight. It was a quiet smaller resort, not without great entertainment I might add.Enjoyed the service from all who worked there. Felt that the workers enjoyed their work and did not expect tips for all the attention which they gave.
Fabulous dancers in the entertainment group, especially the graceful and amazing "Sasha".
Everyone was so kind. Just wish I could have included a visit to the magic ISLA De JUVENTAD . Maybe next time.
I would recommend this to all who are looking for relaxation with no commercialization.Truly a great experience.
If you like fresh fish , this is the place. Different every day.Greatest mohitos ever.
The management are working constantly on upgrading . Remember these thing take time! And this is Cuba. Thankfully it is still a land with a heart and soul!
Cuba is what you make it as is life. If you don't like it find another niche, and leave the rest and best to us : THE "CUBANISTAS"

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and it was good but friends were on the first and that was good also. If yo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear client
It is a pleasure to receive comments about your vacations in Sol Cayo Largo. We are proud to hear from you positively during the stay at the hotel and that is why we effort every day. Our customers and their satisfaction is our main goal.
Thanks for your desire to return, loyalty, your kind words about our staff and mostly for Cubans.. It would be great welcome bag.

My Best.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We travelled to the Sol, Cayo Largo for 2 weeks September 2012.
That was out 4rth trip to the Sol in as many years.

We travel to the south 3 times per year, and this is the only resort that we have ever returned to.

It's a very special place. For us, it's ... well, romantic.

Certainly the people are a big part of the attraction, not only the wonderful Cuban workers, who are extremely kind and gentle,
but also the other tourists, many of whom have become friends even after our return.
The management team have, on many occasions, gone out of their way to provide us with our requests.

We love to go for 2 weeks, it gives a chance to really unwind and relax.
We rent a jeep and explore - you would be surprised at what you can find.
The evening catamaran cruise was really fun, we will do it again for sure.
September was a little more quiet than we like... I think I prefer October or November.

Overall, I just love this place, and we can't wait to return.

Feel free to ask us any questions.
Danny et Claude,
Terrebonne, Quebec

Room Tip: We like overlooking the pool, Block 2 or 3
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent a week Jan 10-17 and had a wonderful time. There are only a few resorts on this spectacular island, and I would say this one is the best. The water is beautiful and the coast line rugged in places, but the sandy beaches are close by. The food was fine and accommodations acceptable, but not a 4 or 5 by Canadian/US standards.. but then again..this is Cuba and you go for the sun, meeting great people and enjoying the Cubans. After all Cuba best quality is its people. This is a very tranquil area, if you are looking for piece and quiet, this is the place for you. Everything was neat and clean.. just a little tired, but they are continually working on upgrading this resort. The service was great. We would go again... great value for sun and fun!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear clients:
We really appreciate opinion that you have published on Trip Advisor. It is important to know your experiences to improve our work and services.
We are going to publish comments to our staff who have served and made pleasurable your stay.It will be a great pleasure for us to receive you once again for delight the wonders beaches and warmth of the Cuban people.
At your disposal

Laval, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel pool was completely redone when I was there. Was pleased sheets and towels seem to be new and my maid was superb. She attended to my every need, was very pleasant and made nice towel animals every day. The ocean and weather were amazing...No complaints. The management left me a complimentary bottle of rum and there was a special cocktail for returning guests. A photo was taken of the event and a picture was sent by e mail to participants. Unfortunately the last 5 days I was very ill. My own fault....Do noy take ice in your drinks. Renovations still must continue though because I had an incident the last night which I will not go into or let it spoil my review. My wonderful maid took care of my problem and I am sure the reparation to the room above me was taken care of after my departure the next day. All in all if you want the besy beach ever and the nicest staff this is the place to go.

Room Tip: I like the rooms near the snack bar,,,300 400 500 600 stayed in all of them.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Clients
We are thankful for feedback about your vacations in our hotel.Thanks for posting that we are working in maintenance programs to further improve the image and services in order to succeed the expectations of our customers.
We would like to welcome you back again just because our beautiful beachs, quietness, cuban people, or because a new reason to meet in Sol Cayo Largo.
Best regards,
Thomas Lehnhooff

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!