“Perfect wedding weekend” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   via Cunicchio 5, 52045 Foiano Della Chiana, Italy   |
Switzerland
“Perfect wedding weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Our new (as of aug19)!daughter - in - law and her mother found villa fortelunga for our son and her wedding weekend and how fortunate was that?? ABSOLUTELY in every way. It was the most wonderful place to celebrate such a happy occasion . From the moment we arrived and were greeted by the friendly staff we knew it would be perfect . The villa has a lovely relaxed feel about it, all the staff were superb and attentive yet discreet , Philip and Paulo made us so welcome and nothing seemed too much trouble .our stay was of course memorable being the wedding of our son but it was made especially first class staying in such a splendid villa. Congratulations to all those responsible for the happiest weekends of our lives.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had the most beautiful holiday at Fontelunga. Every thing was perfect for the duration of our stay from the minute we walked into the amazing property. The villa is beautiful and of course so is its position. But it was all made even more amazing because of the hosts of the villa who made sure that our every wish was taken care of with the most incredible service. I highly recommend a visit, for holiday memories that will be treasured forever!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We recently held our intimate family wedding at Villa Fontelunga and we couldn't have chosen a better location. All our guests stayed at the villa for 3 nights which gave us time to appreciate the surrounding vineyards, restaurants and countryside before the wedding. Paolo and Philip were extremely helpful in recommending local attractions and activities as well as organizing a delicious picnic for us in the villa gardens on the day before our wedding.

The wedding itself was magical and it was a bonus to have the small village chapel within walking distance, myself and my husband covering the short distance by donkey and cart!

The evening meal provided by the villa was very good and the kitchen staff were more than happy to bake our wedding cake for us.

My overriding impressions and memories of the villa are the stunning views across the valley and the warm hospitality of Paolo, Philip, Rob and the rest of the team. I would highly recommend Villa Fontelunga as a small wedding venue. Thank you all very much.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Villa Fontelunga review

From the moment we arrived, Paolo and Philip treated us like old friends - welcoming us into their beautiful villa. We stayed for 3 nights at the tail end of our Tuscany trip and I wish we had been there longer!

The rooms are stunning (we stayed in Oro) with stylish decor, Tuscan views of the countryside, impeccable & comfortable furnishings like 600 count sheets and Molton Brown amenities.

The grounds are beautifully designed and cared for - with plenty of green space to complement the views, outdoor seating for meals and of course lounging by the naturally set pool.

It's clear Paolo and Philip love what they do and take great pride in the experience they provide. Their knowledge of the area and local activities - especially food and touring - really made our stay memorable.  Every inquiry was answered with thoughtful suggestions and recommendations - from wine tasting to local restaurants to hiking the Tuscan hills. Their staff are as warm and welcoming as they are.  (A special shout out to Rob who also was a wonderful host on our last day).

Villa Fontelunga was one of the highlights of our trip - a great location for exploring Tuscany and a place we hope to visit again on our next trip to Italy!

• Stayed September 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

First things first. When I choose a place to stay the first thing I look for is the looks. I can choose a place if I like its style while not knowing anything about it, but I will never go for a place with excellent recomendations if I don't like the looks of it. This was how I choose Fontelunga. Its website conveyed the style I like within the price boundaries I wanted. And let's be honest, Villa Fontelunga is a beautiful estate having the potential to be an awsome place. Those were my expectations. After a 3 night stay at Villa Fontelunga, I cannot say that anything went wrong but it was not the overwhelming Tuscan exprience I expected from the photos. The staff was nice and helpful though a bit pressured, the service was competent and the welcome dinner was a very good opportunity to mingle with other guests. However somethings were behind the expected standard. The rooms where a bit small and noisy and the breakfast poor. To summarize, I believe that Fontelunga can be excellent but it needs more autenticity and passion invested on it.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
VillaFontelunga, Owner at Villa Fontelunga, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Isn’t trip adviser good for keeping you on your toes!!! Just when you have several fantastic unprompted reviews there is a little sidewinder trip you up! We remember Hugo when you arrived rather late for the dinner and i believe we happily accommodated you trying to give as warm a welcome as possible whilst serving a dinner for 20 people (may be that is why the staff were slightly stretched). We are a small property and boutique and so people are not in palatial rooms and the property is not big, 9 rooms, so guest rooms are in close proximity to one another. You also booked our standard room with shower, being our smallest room. We always give up grades if we can but unfortunately we were full at the time of your stay. As for breakfast we do offer sweet continental breakfast with croissant and freshly baked cakes, yogurts and various muesli: which is authentically what the Italians eat for breakfast. It is not a cooked breakfast and we are sorry if you didn’t feel our breakfast selection was broad enough.
However we do take on board your comments and will see what we can do! I have been thinking about the "authentic" and it's very true I am not Italian but I along with Paolo (an italian!) we try to run the property in a very personal way give inside and information on what to see or do in the area. Over the years I have put together a book of information, not with cuttings and business cards but written from my perspective as a foreigner living in Italy, where the guest can take the sheets and plan and get the most out of their stay with us. We don't charge commission on booking restaurants for our clients but give genuine recommendations from the area. I have stayed in many authentic places here in Italy and more than often there isn't that connection with what the foreign tourist is look for. I am very sorry Hugo if we failed to convey this to you on your stay with us. On a further note now I am on a role!! The number of times I have looked into authentic Tuscan kitchens only to find that they have a distinctly foreign staff and I can tell you ours is authentically Italian. Thankfully you won't find me anywhere near the pans but more likely chatting and exchanging travel stories with our clients. Unfortunately Hugo I don't think I was there to this during your stay.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is one of the most relaxing and charming places I have ever been to. It is hard to put my finger on exactly what it is that seperates this Villa from many others like it - the location (and view) is spectacular, the Villa itself is gorgeous, the pool is brilliant, the facilities first class, the food is exceptional. But I think it is the way in which Paulo and Philip (and their colleagues and family) take you in and make you feel like you have joined their family for the duration of your stay. The warmth of their welcome and their interaction, the way in which guests of the villa feed off this and mix together, the twice weekly dinner parties - the vibe that eminates throughout Fontelunga makes this so much more than just a boutique hotel experience. It is quite unique. We will certainly be back - so relaxing, peaceful and energising, with such lovely people.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Oh, to be back at Villa Fontelunga....my friend and I spent 2 nights (though as soon as we arrived, we wish we had booked many more) in August. The property was lovely: so many beautiful touches inside and out that made it special. The main building had the most charming kitchen and rooms - we were in a double room that faced the front. The A/C units are a bit old, so don't expect the rooms to be extremely cool at night - but they were comfortable.
We spent our days touring the area (Philip and Paolo recommended so many lovely places to visit and eat...we only wish we had more time to visit them all), and our afternoons relaxing by the pool. The pool was lovely and refreshing in the warm summer afternoons - and the landscaping and patio design made for a relaxing and tranquil setting. Be sure you sit outside in the evenings, a wonderful opportunity for star gazing (and of course enjoying some wine).

Definitely recommend vistors having a rental car as all of the restaurants, vineyards and towns are driving distance (though many are quite close, less than 10 min drive).

We loved our stay at Villa Fontelunga and hope to be back one day!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Villa Fontelunga? Share your experiences!