“Best Thing About Cat Ba” 4 of 5 stars

Sea Pearl Hotel
219 Duong 1/4 TT, Cat Ba, Vietnam   |
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Cat Ba
Leeds
“Best Thing About Cat Ba”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was by far the best thing about Cat Ba. The hotel was clean and the rooms were big and comfortable. We had a sea view room and the view was great across the harbour. The location was great on the front with lots of bar and restaurant options. However, Cat Ba in general is not somewhere I would recommend. It was like a run down seaside town. Do NOT go to the floating restaurants. These are filthy and not somewhere you would want to eat! There were a lot of staff/locals which was intimidating and the worst thing is when you are out there you have to wait for some other tourist to be foolish enough to come out before you can get the taxi boat back! The green mango down the road does nice food. Overall there are better places to visit than Cat Ba but if you do go stay at this hotel as it is a real treat!

Room Tip: Sea view but really all rooms are lovely!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The room was great panoramic views ,value for money and in the best spot on the front ,walk across the road for ferry and bus , motorbike hire out the front $5 per day .massage ,restaurants ,drinks all cheap and near .hotel food good .reception excellent all good

Room Tip: Go for the front rooms with a view and go high for the view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
seapearlhotel, Owner at Sea Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2015
Thank you.We would be honored to serve you!
hanoi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The Sea Pearl is more expensive than a typical hotel in Vietnam but it has a perfect location in Cat Ba and the rooms and service are excellent! I especially appreciated the kind attention of the manager, Tony.

Service: I had a really rough experience getting to Cat Ba and when I finally made it it was a holiday and the city was packed. I had booked my room at Sea Pearl online and when I arrived I couldn't remember which service I used and I felt very hot and tired. Tony, the hotel manager took one look at me and ushered me into a comfortable and ice cold office in the back where he allowed me to go on his personal computer and figure out my reservation. He also gave me a very nice upgrade to a room on one of the upper floors with a view of the Sea. I think he could tell that I was feeling a little stressed and his extra attentions really made a rough day much much nicer. Later that night the friendly evening staff at the desk gave me directions to a restaurant and helped me place a phone call to a small resort nearby.

The Room: This room was spacious and airy with all the comforts of a nice mid range hotel in a major US city (bathrobes, fancy bathroom etc, great hot water, good fans and AC.) The room was very clean and the bed was fine, plus I had a great view.

The Food: The buffet breakfast on the top floor is a pretty elaborate spread, primarily Vietnamese dishes but there was also an egg station. I had PERFECTLY cooked sunny side up eggs and I saw the same cook make a fabulous looking omelet. It was quick and excellent. On another occasion passing through Cat Ba I ordered breakfast from Phillipers Bar, the little place on the street next to the entrance to the Sea Pearl. Remembering my excellent eggs from before I ordered the same thing and hoped for the same quality. They were perfect AGAIN. And the place had a good wifi connection, a beautiful coffee and helpful waitresses.

So why not 5 stars??: There were a few negative things about the hotel that are worth mentioning. There is alot of smoking in the hotel. For people used to smoke free hotels, this place may come as a shock. There are ashtrays by the elevators and a lot of the hallways and the lobby are on the smoky side. I guess it's acceptable to smoke in public spaces in Vietnam in a way that it no longer is in much of the U.S. and the majority of the tourists at the Sea Pearl are Vietnamese. So if you are a smoker this really is the PERFECT place for you because you will be able to smoke wherever you want :) My room did NOT smell smoky though. And, while my room was spotless, the public spaces in the hotel were not spotless. The elevators and the lobby weren't filthy or anything but the floors in both places could have used some attention. It's too bad there isn't someone who's entire job is just to maintain those public spaces because if there was, this would be a really fantastic hotel. Overall it's still a good choice though.

Room Tip: My room, 711 had a sea view. I suspect all the rooms that end with 11 (511, 611 etc) have the same v...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Languedoc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Ok so it was Tet holiday while we stayed here, but it really felt that we were more of an inconvenience for the staff. While the rooms were excellent and the bathrooms really great, the service was fairly non existent in the restaurant that we were obliged to use. The food too was very safe and lacked authenticity which was a shame.
However we made use of the in house spa while there and I had an excellent massage - one of the best!
So all in all, good accommodation and perhaps it was due to Tet that they let themselves down. It was only this aspect that resulted in 3 stars.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Great stay overall.
Very clean and comfortable.
Delicious food. Excellent showers. This hotel is rated a 3-star I believe but it could easily be a 4-Star in Vietnam.
WiFi signal was weak and unusable in our ocean view room at the end of the hallway. Had to go to other parts of the hotel or hallway to use.
An expensive hotel in Ha Long, take a look at Cat Ba, it is probably the best.

• Stayed January 2013
Ballina, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Situated on the front of Cat Ba, the Sea Pearl is the grandest looking hotel on the landscape. It is the perfect location to enjoy Cat Ba. We are a party of 6 motorcycle travellers (age 34 - 66), who have toured Vietnam from South to North and have stayed in many hotels on our route. We do not do 'budget hotels' as we like our comfort after riding many hours, so don't mind spending the extra on good accommodation, but with rooms as good value as we found here, that was not the case. The sea Pearl did not let us down in any respect. On entering the hotel we were impressed by the very grand and tasteful foyer. We were shown rooms by the owner of the hotel who was obviously very proud of the high standard of the rooms. She had every right to be, because this is without doubt the best hotel we have stayed in during our long trip in Vietnam. The rooms were spotlessly clean, spacious and very comfortable. The rooms are well equipped, fresh and new, and the bathroom was both spacious and modern. The aircon heated the room in minutes as the weather is quite cold in January in this area. After checking in we went outside for a drink and the hotel manger 'Tony' introduced himself. He was both very helpful and informative with excellent English, and answered our many questions about the area. He was a great character and went on to help us with ferry, bus and boat bookings to take us back to the mainland Halong City. In all, our stay at the Sea Pearl was a memorable one and if we ever venture this way again we will definitely be back. I highly reccomend this hotel......they couldn't have made us more welcome.

Room Tip: Negotiate room prices in off season, they are very reasonable, all rooms are of a high standard.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you.We would be honored to serve you!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

The Sea Pearl has a very nice entrance and a bar below. It's located right at the pier and offers free wifi in the lobby and its restaurant. So far so good. Prices are above average; about 45 dollars for a double room with a bath so we expected a bit more quality than the hotels with lower rates during our first days in Vietnam. We decided to take a superior room with a bath (no sea view) which looked nice from a 'western' perspective. Soon after we went up with our luggage, we saw that the linen had stains all over, hairs in them and dust on the pillows and we asked for new linen. When we put the twins together after the cleaners left, we saw piles of dust and items of previous guests (earplugs, paper wrappings) on the floor. We decided to just enjoy our stay and take a bath, not knowing what the bathroom would bring us: the shower curtain was moulded, water was leaking from under the bath tub and the corners were so dirty with stains and hairs, it was obvious there had not been a proper cleaning for ages. On top of that, an insect was crawling on the floor. Not very pleasant. The mattresses were comfortable and the hotel offers free small water bottles in the room. Unfortunately the hotel's wifi showed no signal in our room. All in all we had an ok stay but the hotel management should definitely keep a close look on the hotel's cleaning quality. The hotel offered us a $10 discount on the $100 bill when we told them about the dirtiness.

The restaurant on the 11th floor was ok, the food was quite nice and the staff was friendly. In the morning they served an 'international breakfast' (besides noodles they prepared egg dishes and they had bacon, sausages and slices of bread).

Try the Bamboo bar for food and the hairdresser/massage salon next to it for a good pedicure and an excellent foot/shoulder massage for a few dollars.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Sea Pearl Hotel? Share your experiences!