“Nice views, but rock-hard beds” 3 of 5 stars

Hung Long Harbour Hotel Cat Ba Island
268 , 1/4 Street | Hai Phong City, Cat Ba, Vietnam   |
Ranked #10 of 14 hotels in Cat Ba
Jackson, Wyoming
“Nice views, but rock-hard beds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the Hung Long Harbour Hotel for two nights as part of a tour package. The price was very reasonable.

The room itself was fine, seemed clean and well-kept. There is no shower enclosure in the bathroom, just a drain in the floor -- we didn't have a problem with this, but just so you know to expect a wet floor in there after showering.

The location is great, overlooking the bay; it was quiet, as there is essentially no vehicle traffic. Our room had a small balcony. It was a five-minute walk to the Cat Ba restaurants, or five minutes the other direction to the Cat Co beach.

Oh, but the beds were awful... the hardest beds I've ever encountered, not much different from sleeping on the floor. Fortunately we carry our backpacker air mattresses with us as insurance against uncomfortable hotel beds, and we really needed them here.

The continental breakfast was adequate -- one morning it was a buffet-style with a selection of hot and cold items, another morning it was items ordered from the menu because the hotel was not busy enough to justify setting a buffet. We were satisfied with both breakfasts. We did not eat dinner at the hotel.

Other than the beds, it was an okay place. If it weren't for the beds I might even give it a very good. But those beds were brutal -- better take an air mattress!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
NSW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Whilst the facilities of the hotel were adequate - we were with a large group of students - when one of them reported the shower head broken due to a cheap/dodgy fitting, the hotel staff charged us for its replacement refusing to reissue our passports until we paid. Our bus was waiting so we had little choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We came upon this hotel as part of a package and it provided us with a very clean, spacious room with an amazing view of the harbour. The bed was stunningly hard. and did not suit some of our party at all. I found it ok but a hard bed doesn't particularly worry me. It was quite a shock to sit down on it though - no give at all! The staff were rather off hand. All of them needed to take a course in the Virgin Airline school of customer service. What a difference a cheerful face at the Reception Desk can make. The included breakfast was ok but nother spectacular and once again, the demeanour of the staff needed some attention. I have found most hotel staff in Vietnam to be very friendly and accommodating so this was definitely a bit of an exception. A potentially very nice hotel needing a staff makeover and a bit of character added.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

We got this hotel with the ha long bay cruize deal and we had to pay extra 25$ to get it.

The hotel is still very new meaning that the rooms are clean and not stinky like other hotels in cat ba.

The view from the room was amazing and the room was clean and tidy. But, the food was horrible, we couldnt eat it!!! They served everything in deep fried oil, everything had sea food smell and tasted same. We were overcharged for drinks ( 10 times more expensive than outside).

The "spa" was teriblle, dont ever try it!!

But, after reading all other reviews, it seems that its the best hotel on cat ba...

Enjoy

• Stayed September 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here on the second night of our 3 day/2 night Halong Bay boat tour. I don't know the price for a night here because it was included in the tour price, so keep that in mind if you plan to give my below review any merit.

Anyway, with that caveat, the hotel was great. And it is a big "sterile" hotel, so don't stay here if that is not your thing. The room was spacious, clean, and had a nice balcony overlooking Cat Ba bay. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean, and the flat-screen TV had a few English-language channels to watch as you drift off to sleep. Both the front desk and other staff were also friendly. The in-hotel restaurant was OK (again, however, we did not pay because it was included in the tour price), but I suspect you could round up tastier seafood down the street.

Cat Ba town itself is more or less a one street town, but its ocean front street is nice to stroll down. There is not much "nightlife" to speak of if you are looking to go out, particularly at the Hung Long Bar connected to the hotel (I was the only one there when I stopped to have a beer). If you do spend a night in Cat Ba town, the best thing to do is go walk up the hill behind the hotel and hit up the nearby local beach. It is only a five minute walk.

All in all, I really liked the Hung Long Hotel. Particularly because it was included in the price of our Halong Bay boat tour.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bendigo, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was recently victimised on check out by this hotel. I was called over to reception after I handed in key and shown a face washer I had used in room. It had make up on it, the girl said they couldn't get stain out and demanded money before they would hand over passport.
Staff were un-reponsive and blew a small situation out to a big problem.
I believe they were being cunning, trying to rip me off and they must have thought I was born yesterday!
I had a exceptional beautiful 2 days on my Halong Tour with Vega tours but this situation ruined my whole tour!
You might read this & believe I am over reacting but don't judge me as you were not at the reception when the girl was belittling me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

The hotel itself has a good location. The room is new and spacious with the sea view balcony. The toilet also spacious. The breakfast is just acceptable, taste not so good, just enough to fill up my empty stomach.
What I have a bad experience with the hotel is about the transport renting. The hotel mention that they have a motorbike renting services, so after we decide to rent a motorbike, the hotel staff ask us to go to security house. Actually there is no motorbike ready to rent, the security guy just call the local come and rent their motorbike to us. And the motorbike is not in good condition, we need to go to pump petrol ourselves and it's unable to start back the motorbike after we stop at the shop. Lucky some of the local people help us to start again the motorbike and tell us the motorbike got problem, so we are late for 15 minutes back. The owner just wait for us at the opposite road of hotel and charge us 1 hour full. We are not willing to pay full and at last we ask our tour guide to help us talk to the owner. It's definately not a services that hotel should provide.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hung Long Harbour Hotel Cat Ba Island? Share your experiences!