“Good service but poor accommodation” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Myrtle Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mablethorpe
Myrtle Lodge
You added Myrtle Lodge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   60 Victoria Road, Mablethorpe LN12 2AJ, England   |
Ranked #6 of 13 Mablethorpe B&B and Inns
North West England
“Good service but poor accommodation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Myrtle Lodge has some good points, some questionable points (depending on personal preferences), and some rather bad points. I’ll start with the good points: the guest house is located on one of Mablethorpe’s main roads, close to the seafront, shops, cafes and bars. It’s a fairly large guest house (around 15 rooms) and has ample car parking. The owner was very welcoming and friendly. There is a large lounge and a bar (although was closed when we were there).

The building obviously has a long heritage as guest accommodation (there are old pictures in the hallway showing this), but the furnishings are now a little dated and starting to look worse-for-wear. We were allocated a rather compact double room with an en-suite shower room. The furniture in the room was mainly of the flat-pack variety. The room had freeview TV, but no wi-fi.

I don’t know if the accommodation is run on a budget, or if it caters for a certain ‘type’ of clientele, but there were some aspects that we found a little strange – the single-sheet toilet roll dispenser in the en-suite (the type that you might find in public toilets – not particularly homely); the allocation of bowl of cereal at breakfast (the bowls were already laid out and have the cereal in them, rather than helping yourself); and the shared tables with other guests at breakfast (there are only 8 or 9 tables in the breakfast room for 15 rooms).

Breakfast is served between 8.15 and 9am. The breakfast itself was fine. A small glass of orange juice is already on your table, and then there is a choice of cereals, toast, and full English cooked to order. The service at breakfast was good.

Now for the bad points: The room and shower room were not particularly clean: the handle to adjust the shower head was broken and was dangerously sharp; the carpet in the room had a ‘sticky’ feel underfoot; and the room (especially under the bed) was dusty. The issue that really spoiled out stay was the condition of the bed sheets – the duvet cover had a ‘questionable’ stain on it, and the bottom sheet had what appeared to be blood spots on it (although we tried not to look too closely!).

We paid £27 each for B&B, and we were expecting budget accommodation for this price. We can forgive the Myrtle Lodge its little quirks, but the standards of cleanliness really are inexcusable.

Room Tip: Take a toilet roll and something to wear on your feet!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

i stayed in this guest house in a busy period time, i went for breakfast in the morning and we had to sit with other member of public that stayed there, which was no problem as they was all very freindly, and which we felt very welcomed as we was strangers? there was a trainee at breakfast, but we had no promblem as we all have to traine sometime, our rooms was very clean, which is important to me wherever i stop, the bar staff was very freindly, and very welcoming, i would recomend the guest house to my freinds, and will be booking for next year, thank you for making our break very welcoming

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my partner which is a fairly small run hotel with B&B only.
Everything about this hotel has its good points and the bad points within its quirkyness!

I have to say this is a nice and decent place to stay however, the bathroom could be more cleaner in some areas and they need proper toilet roll not just flimsy pieces of sheets of paper.

Apart from that brilliant location with excellent car parking. We had a lady who was acting as the manager as the owners where not there, and she was very pleasant.

The only thing wrong was the breakfast and the bar and sleeping quarters are explained below:

The bar had no stocked water still and fizzy and could do with some, neither was there any orange juice or Ice.

The breakfast which was under the stairs was a decent sized room but when we arrived we sat on a table for 2 and the waitress said that she had us at the table were another bloke was sitting and we said no we want to sit on our own which I think was very rude of her putting us with someone else before asking us.

I had told the manager the night before that only one of us wanted a full english cooked breakfast and in the morning she had forgotten to tell the waitress and she asked if that was 2 breakfasts what a thing to get wrong, so I said no and she brought me some toast and butter I wanted. Some of the toast was stale and old looking and some of the butter was rock hard and un-spreadable and some of the butter was so soft it was like liquid, the orange juice and yoghurts was so warm they were disgusting. My partner had a sausage with his breakfast and it was cheap and nasty with fatty greasy bits in it. The milk I think was not fresh as it tasted like UHT milk which one of is allergic to so I had to have my coffee black. Very dissapointing, all though the waitress was attentive she could do with more training.

I think they could also do with doing a dinner there for extra cost as they have the facilities and the space where the breakfast is served to do it.

There was alot of noise in the bedroom at night due to flushing toilets and creaking from the floor above us as we were in room 14 obviously they have poor and thin floor boards!

All these things are minor but can improved and with time and alittle more effert this could be close to a 3 - 4 star hotel as it was in my eyes a 2+ star rated hotel. If the breakfast was improved on they could well charge more than the £55 a night which is what it was.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Myrtle Lodge? Share your experiences!