“For an 8.4 rating, it was not what I expected.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Parador Guanica 1929

Save Saved
You added Hotel Parador Guanica 1929 to your Saves list
Hotel Parador Guanica 1929
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr 3116 Km 2.5, Avenida Los Veteranos | Ensenada, Guánica, Guanica, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Guanica
“For an 8.4 rating, it was not what I expected.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel from 8-16 to 08-18-2013 and was accommodated in room 109 that is next to the restaurant. I heard every noise made in the restaurant kitchen, including the music the staff was hearing. The electrical outlet in the bathroom did not work and I had trouble plugging the hair dryer in another outlet. I took a hair dryer (thank God) because the room had no dryer or iron like the website had announced it would. I requested the iron at front desk. The hotel has a gym but the little equipment it has, is in really bad condition (may I say there was only one 20 pound dumbell, that is careless of the hotel).

From what I observed, this hotel focuses on certain amenities within the site like the main building and the pool area and should focus on the complete or whole facility. It needs renovation in certain areas. Take it from me being a real estate appraiser. I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
humacao, puerto rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

On May my husband and I went with our kids to this side of the island and it was a good choice. We booked at the Parador for a long weekend and between the pool, the breeze and the birds eating from my plate it was wonderful. Near by you have places to go, from renting a boat, a kayak or a swimming at Playa Santa beach. There are near by towns with attractions for all ages.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is wonderful if you`re looking for a peaceful place to stay. The road view and the hotel view is beatiful. The service is extremely friendly. It`s all inclusive. The food is really good. It`s not a 5 star resort. But I wasn`t looking for that. It`s a great place for couples and family. I surely will come back.

• Stayed April 2013
Juneau, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

It's important to realize that Puerto Rico does not have an abundance of hotels..It's also a fact that you will pay more for a moderately comfortable hotel there than in the U.S. About twice. Once you get used to those ideas, you deal with it and quit agonizing.

The Parador Guanica offers reasonable value for the price. It is close to the beaches for diving, etc. and also just a few minutes from Guanica State Forest, a unique dry forest with birds endemic to Puerto Rico.

Be aware that this is a hotel staff training facility. I found the staff to be very polite and helpful. But I would caution you keep your gourmet expectations in check if you enter the dining room. At the very least, I would avoid the fish. Also, the television channels are quite limited. Don't expect to pick up the usual stations from the U.S.

Wifi is avialable in the rooms, with a hard wire provided at the front desk.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a nice old building that is away from the ocean, on an inlet, in a noncommercial area. Nice pool, nice open air restaurant with good food. And NO ALCOHOL served in restaurant - which came as a surprise to us. You can bring your own in and they will uncork and provide glasses. Rooms are small but adequate, with good air conditioning. Beaches east of Guanica are scenic, but lots of litter and surf is rough. We spent a half day on "Gilligan's Island" which was fun, but I doubt we would go back to this area unless it was to stay at Copa Marina which is on the water and a more "all inclusive" resort

Room Tip: Off the road near the back is best
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Eventhough beautiful spot the service is poor and waitress naive about the food. The dinner was the worst of my life the fish was raw and undercook salty with earthy flavors. The only thing in favor is the view and the outdoor sitting where you can hear the birds and coquis

• Stayed March 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Upon arrival I opened the door to the room, I was overcome by a strong smell of toxic chemicals, that literally hit me in the face, and I did not want to go any further. I kept the door open, hoping that the strong chemical smell would dissapate, but it was pointless. I entered the room, which is supposed to be handicapped accessible and found it was smaller than our closet at home and we don't live in a large house! I walked in, and my cane slid on the soapy floors and I fell, thank God my husband was right there to catch me. The floors where not wet, but there was a film of soap on them. As I stood there, my feet started to separate and I needed my husband to assist me because the soapy film on the floor was about to make me do a split. It seems like they clean with straight cleaner and do not dilute the chemicals. I am told all the rooms have this strong odor and they pride themselves on the smell of clean, not cleaning, but the smell of cleaning. We both woke up with headaches, swollen eyes and dry throats due to breathing in this chemical as we slept. The bathroom which is supposed to be accessible, had the shower raised up and inch above the bathroom floor which caused all the water from the shower to spill out onto the floor of the bathroom causing a huge safety issue as it mixed with the residual soap on the floor left over from the mop. There was purple cleaning solution on the counter from the chemical solution used to clean the bathroom, the cups inside the bathroom had this purple solution stuck in and around them, as if the maid had cleaned the cups in the same chemical solution they use for the floor.
The room, although they claim it was accessible, was not, there was not enough space to safely sit in my wheelchair an view the TV and not be in the way of my husband trying to get to the bathroom, I would have to take my wheelchair outside if he wanted to get to the bathroom, or he would have to climb over the bed which is not safe and completely unsanitary. It was a fire hazard and a safety issue. I understand that the building was built in 1929, but so was my house in NY, and in today's day and age we must fix things to accomodate people and situations, this hotel won't fix anything to make it more comfortable and safe for their guests and will blame it on, "It's an old building", that is not an excuse when it comes to safety!!!
When we booked, we were guaranteed that my electric wheelchair would not be an issue...they lied!!!! Upon arrival, my husband was told that my wheelchair would have to go over a five inch speed bump that they installed in the front of their building (I'm sure this speed bump wasn't there in 1929, so they will add things to make it more difficult for someone, but not add things to accomodate anyone). My wheelchair can NOT make it over any bump or slabe of cement that is higher than 3/4 an inch, it will break my front axle and it will also bottom out with anything higher than three inches. This hotel did not care about any of that, all they cared about was the fact that they got $80 and would not offer a refund for us to stay anywhere else, its like they were desperate for money and didn't care about anyones health condition with the chemical odor or anyones safety condition with a mobility disability, all they cared about was they got our money. Due to the unsafe size of the room and the fact that I could not go over the five inch speed bump, I was forced to walk with my canes to the room. This caused my Dystonia to put me into severe pain. The hotel does have a handicapped ramp to get into the room, but first you have to make it over the speed bump which is impossible. Due to my medical condition of Dystonia, I can NOT walk up or down ANY incline, whether it be a ten degree incline or a fifty degree incline, I can not walk up or down any handicapped ramp or stairs without causing myself severe pain. But in order not to lose $80 I had no choice, due to their greed, I was forced to walk it. They do have a horseshoe for a car to drive up to the place, but the staff or the manager likes to park their BMW and Mercedes in front and block the entrance, later that night, the entrance was blocked by a cop car and the Mercedes SUV, so no one could drive up to let anyone off in front of the building. It took me 45 minutes to walk from the handicapped parking space into my room. I chose the stairs, as there would be less pain for me because it was the shorter distance, the handicapped ramp was extremely long and far away from the room. Every step I took sent my entire body into contractions, my husband had to stand behind me and hold me up as my muscles contracted and was throwing me backwards. I got to the room in severe pain and will remain in severe pain for weeks because of the greed of the Parador Guanica 1929!!!! I spent the night with my eyes tearing from the chemical smell, and my body involuntarily contracted all night long from being forced to walk. The beds were so soft and comfortable though, it was like laying on a marshmallow, but I was woken up four times because of the stray pack of dogs that are in front of the hotel (watch were you step, they relived themselves #2 in front of the stairs) and then I was woken up to the sound of a motorcycle who decided to sit in front of the hotel and rev his engine, no one told him to knock it off, all the guest woke up and were quite upset. I could also hear the guest coughing and sneezing in the next room from the chemical odor, the walls are very thin and you hear everything. The rooms are tiny, I was in an accessible room which is supposed to be larger to accomodate a wheelchair, but it was too tiny, I can't imagine the other rooms being smaller than that, but I am told they are. The pool is in front by the road. My husband checked out the grounds because I couldn't move, he came back and told me who ever took the professional pictures for their webpage is a genius, but no woman would want that photographer at their wedding because he makes tiny things look huge!!! The pictures on their website and the actual building border on the line of false advertising!!!

"Parador" in Spanish means "stop"...and that is what you should do if you plan on booking here, STOP and GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!! It's not worth $20 a night and I wouldn't stay here for $10 a night, I value my sense of smell and that was destroyed by the chemical odor, so we modified our reservation and stayed at the CopaMarina for the remainder of the vacation and had an absolutely magnificent time at the Copa Marina!!!

I am giving "sleep quality" one star because of the smell of toxic chemicals you are forced to breath as you sleep. If it wasn't for this odor, then I would give sleep quality a five star for their marshmallow like beds that you just sink into.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Parador Guanica 1929? Share your experiences!