“Relaxing...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copamarina Beach Resort

You added Copamarina Beach Resort to your Saves list
Copamarina Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Rte 333 Km 6.5 | Caña Gorda Beach, Guanica 00653, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guanica
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Relaxing...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I went to Copamarina with my husband and daughter (2 years old) from Sunday to Tuesday. When we arrived the room wasn't ready. We have to wait around half and hour. I have no complaints with the room overall. The only thing I didn't like was the loud sound from the A/C. The first night I couldn't sleep very well. I enjoyed the view from our balcony; it was very relaxing. My daughter liked so much the pool and the beach was perfect for her. We have breakfast two days at Las Palmas Cafe and the food was good. We paid around $40 (including tip) each day. The restaurant and pool bar were closed. They are only open on weekends. My advice: 1) you could bring food from home and eat in your room (there is a mini fridge; coffeemaker; and the hotel has ice machine); 2) if you are going to Guilligan Island, you have to pay $7 each for the roundtrip (in the island is nothing to eat, so you have to bring snacks and drinks); 3) do not visit "San Jacinto Club/restaurant" near the hotel; the food is overpriced, so you better eat at the hotel for the same cost and more quality.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Columbia, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I would like to star by saying that this is not a hotel, is more like what Puerto Ricans called “Parador” or small inn, which are cheaper than a hotel, but Copamarina is a parador with a 4 star hotel price. People in the front desk were not very helpful; especially a young lady with a bleach hair had such a bad attitude, like if we were there uninvited, she looked upset every time we asked a question. The beach looks great in pictures, but is infested with mosquitoes, no wonder I never saw anyone enjoying the hammocks and/or beach chairs. No one could stay there for more than 5 minutes. The place is very humid and the AC does not really work, all my paper and bed were always wet.
I was there on a business meeting so we needed it to have breakfast before 7, I was told by the front desk that if we talk to a server in the restaurant they could fix coffee and bagels for us, (there is nothing else around that area where we could buy coffee) When we talked to the person in the restaurant about having coffee, she was so angry that she throw the coffee and bagels to us, literally, she threw the stuff that the glasses broke, we felt so bad, unfortunately, we could change hotels, last day we were lucky enough to have the cook, I think his name was Jose, he was so nice to us, he stopped doing what he was doing to served us, he even apologized for the other lady attitude.
They didn’t change the bed which is ok, but they didn’t change the towels, or replace the shampoo or conditioner, on Friday night they had a live music party right outside my room. I had to work on Saturday and called the front desk to ask until what time they would play the live music. They really didn’t care.
The next day I saw couple of families cancelling their stay due to the loud music the night before.
Copamarina was really a bad experience, I was very happy the moment I left.

Room Tip: if you want to have a good room stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were in San Juan visiting and old frinend and he suggested we go to the southwest side of the island and try the Copamairna. We booked 2 nights and it was perfect! Check in was a pleasure, the room faced the ocean, a pool and restaurant. The staff was ready to do anything we asked and happy to make our stay the best always smiling and ready. Food and drink was great and prices in line with the type of property, actually a great value copared to San Juan. I wish I had brought my kids here when they were young, they would have had a blast. The pool activities, lawn areas gardens and grounds were very well kept. I plan to send my adult children for some fun!

Room Tip: The newer rooms had quierter air conditioners, but it didn't bother me. The newer rooms seemed...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We booked a honeymoon trip to Copamarina in March. In May they called to tell us that they had booked the entire hotel and we would need to stay elsewhere for all but the very last day of our trip. They offered some suggestions (after repeated calls) but made no apologies and offered no incentives. We were left scrambling to find a new hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We spent our Anniversary at the Hotel and my partner scheduled so many wonderful surprises !! Room beautifully decorated with roses, champagne, Sunset Trip and many other surprises in conspiracy with the staff. Everyone of them are special ! Thanks for an unforgettable 12th Anniversary. Expect us back soon !!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the Copamarina beach resort over spring break with our 4 children and had a great time. Beautiful location and beach, a bit out of the way but very relaxing and family-oriented. The gardens are pretty and there are plenty of activities to choose from. The 2 pools are on the small side and can get a bit crowded but the children enjoyed them nevertheless. We particularly enjoyed kayaking and the staff at the rental place were very friendly. Breakfast buffet was great - fresh and plenty and decent price. Also barbecue lunches were great (when available - not every day). The outdoor restaurant is very pretty at night but the menu could be improved. It's definitely better if you have your own transportation as it is out of the way.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This resort is absolutely beautiful. Very relaxing, comfortable rooms, amazing food and wonderful staff. Our room was a deluxe ocean view room but you are actually quite a ways from the water as opposed to directly on the water. The small disappointment is the beach. There is a team of workers that keep the grounds and the beach spotless and I give them a lot of credit. The bottom or the sea when in the water, is gummy feeling. There is nothing the resort can do about that. The sand, again in the water, is uneven with various holes and hills and seaweed areas. I would say to enjoy laying in the sun on the beach and swim in one of the two pools. The grounds are gorgeous and we appreciated that the various plants and trees were marked with name tags. When going to the resort, there are hardly any signs directing you there and you drive down a 4 mile (but what seems like endless), very narrow and somewhat dangerous twisting road. One feels as though they have made a wrong turn but keep going. You will find it and will find much beauty. A little secret that I should not let out is to go just beyond the resort by one driveway. Turn into the parking lot and there is a fabulous little beach restaurant with great drinks and amazing food at a small portion of resort prices. This place is a hidden gem. In one of the reviews of the Copamarina, someone referred to it being near someplace very smelly. I think I have that figured out. Every morning, it smelled like there was sulfer in the air. It lasted for about an hour. I think the seaweed that comes in overnight smells like that. Once the diligent workers have everything clean, there is no problem. Do not miss the boat trip to Gilligan's Island! Thank you Copamarina. We will gladly return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Copamarina Beach Resort? Share your experiences!