“Beautiful and relaxing spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copamarina Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Copamarina Beach Resort to your Saves list
Copamarina Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rte 333 Km 6.5 | Caña Gorda Beach, Guanica 00653, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Guanica
Virginia
“Beautiful and relaxing spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

After spending some time hiking in the rainforest, we came to the Copamarina for the relaxation portion of our Puerto Rico trip. So peaceful and beautiful. The staff were friendly and helpful. There is a dry forest reserve walking distance where we did some light hiking (more walking, really). We will definitely be back. Our only complaints (denying the fifth star): The breakfast buffet is waaay overpriced; the second hot tub (the one further away from reception) was only lukewarm; the welcome book says there are guided hikes and bike trips in the dry forest but this is not true. But these were small details compared to the overall bliss.

Room Tip: Go for garden view - cheaper and just as good. 300-series rooms are nearest to the bat tree.

793 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Copamarina in mid January. After traveling to Fajardo at the El Conquistador and then to the Ritz in Isla Verde San Juan ....we were tired of the rainy weather and decided to rent a car and travel to the drier part of the island in the south. We traveled to Guanica and it is about 2 hours from San Juan. Very much worth the journey. Upon entering the road to the resort we immediately realized how remote this place is.... We traveled down a very remote winding road that led to the resort. The Copamarina was lovely ... Very tropical. After check in while waiting for our room we headed to the bar overlooking the grounds and took it all in... Beautiful. A very quiet and serene resort. We found paradise. The room had a very Caribbean feel with wood shutters and door and all the rooms have an ocean view ... So you really don't need to upgrade. There is only restaurant there on the weekdays ... But I thought there was plenty variety and it was deliscious!! So I did not mind. All the staff were very friendly. The beach was wonderful and I swam in the ocean alot. Other revues said it was unswimable. There was some seaweed and grassy areas... but the work hard combing it away from their beach. And it also made ot good for exploring sea life. The grounds were meticulously maintained. There were always people working on the lawn and gardening. I dont think ive ever seen a resort work harder to make sure every grass blade was in place. Other revuers complained of noise ... we didnt hear any that would be annoying...while you are thre I highly reccomend renting a kayak at the beach kiosk and heading out for an adventure. That was so fun!! And easy... Very calm protected water. Bring a snorkel... And for a longer journey you MUST take the resort boat to Gilligan's Island. Breathtaking... Snorkeling in the mangroves was one of the coolest things I have ever done.
If you want night life and hustle bustle .... Go to San Juan.... If you want a relaxing beach vacation ... Go here. Or get the best of both worlds and split up the trip. We left here feeling like we just left a spa....PS there is the sweetest hotel dog ... A yellow lab named Goyine.... Give him a hug from us.... We bonded. :)
Thank you Copamarina!!!! We will be back!!!!

• Stayed January 2013
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Relax environment in the Caribbean zone of Puerto Rico, comfortable rooms with nice view to the beach with nice balconies. The beach is nice with sand and grass as well, with a nice little pier. Good restaurant with good selection of local food. Guanica is close to cities as Ponce and Mayaguez, so if you have a car you can visit that cities at evening.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I wish I could rate this ten stars!!! The hotel is amazing, the staff is friendly and helpful. The pools and spa are so relaxing and clean. The view of the sunset was amazing!!! If you want to stay in a quiet and peaceful setting with all the comforts of home and then some, well, this is your place!!!
We stayed in Room 504, it was a large room with a king bed and a pullout sofa bed, table and chairs, with a small fridge. It was a far distance from the parking lot so if you have a mobility issue, ask for a closer room, they are more than willing to accomodate you in any request!
I am disabled and in a wheelchair 99% of the time due to Dystonia, I was able to get around the entire facility with ease with the wheelchair, although it was a bit scary when I all of a sudden came to a downward staircase that was not marked by any red tape on the floor telling me that was not part of the hallway but a flight of stairs, I hope to see this fixed the next time we come back to prevent me or anyone else from walking off (or driving an electric wheelchair off) the top of a staircase. The doors to the room and the door to the bathroom accomodated my wheelchair although we did not stay in an accessible room. The only problem I had being a handicapped woman, was getting into the shower, it was a tub/shower combo, but that is my fault as I did not get an accessible room.
We have stayed here before and will keep coming back. The only thing they can improve on, is to have more upright chairs poolside. My husband likes to sit in an upright chair and be able to talk to me face to face, and with me being in a wheelchair it makes it difficult for me to be sitting upright and him laying down. It was busy when we stayed this weekend with the holiday, so all the chairs poolside were taken.

My only suggestion before you book would be to call the hotel directly and ask for their rate before booking online at the other websites, as it is almost always lower than you will find on any online booking website.

The infinity pool was amazing as usual, the other pool they had was nice too! The hot tub was so relaxing! The food was delicious, we got dinner to go to our room and the next day my husband had the breakfast buffet for $17 and said it was worth every penny! Personally, I won't eat any buffet for $17 a person, if they charged $10 a person they would make a lot more money and a lot more people would be willing to spend the $10 as opposed to going off site for fast food. I would pay $10 for a breakfast buffet even though I am not a breakfast person and would not be able to eat anywhere near $10 worth of food. Check in was a breeze, and so was check out. The only thing that would make this hotel better would be for them to have microwaves in the room to reheat the leftover food, or at least have one in the lobby for hotel guest to use.

Elmira, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We discovered Copamarima a few years ago. It has become our second home in the Caribbean. The staff have become friends and treat us with the most amazing hospitality. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms spacious and comfortable, the food, well lets just say I go back on Weight Watchers every time we return. The staff represents some of the best we've experienced in our many visits to the Caribbean.

Then there is Franklin in the dive shop. What a gem. I have seen him with beginners and advanced divers and he always delivers. The dives are a short boat ride from Copamarina, great cliff diving to well over 100 feet and just as beautiful 40 foot dives. Come here to learn to dive or just to enjoy this section of God's aquarium off Guanica, Puerto Rico.

While about 2 hours from San Juan...don't let the distance deter you the drive is beautiful over the mountains or its about 1 hour down the coast from Mayaguez or the same overland from Ponce.

Room Tip: If coming with close friends or family try the Vila and numbers 601 or 602. They each sleep 8... Ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Woodbridge, New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is probably one of the hardest reviews that I had to write. Usually, I either like a place or dislike it but rarely do I find an experience truly deserving of the adjective: decent. I arrived to copamarina in mid January and booked my stay from Expedia. The check in process was smooth with the receptionist showing us all the amenities of the resort on a map. The room itself was in need of an update. It was furnished in the 1980s style and reminded me of the 80s show "married with children." The shower left much to be desired with insufficient water pressure as well as a showerhead clogged with white matter of unknown origin. The bathtub could also be cleaner. The room was an ocean view but there wasn't much ocean to "view" from that distance. We were disappointed. We even looked up other resorts and considered canceling and rebooking elsewhere. However, I am very glad that we did not. The next morning we contacted the front desk with our grievances and they took care of everything the same day. The shower head was replaced, room was meticulously cleaned and the bathtub looked very inviting. The staff are very professional and do make you feel at home. They were truly amicable and congenial.

The grounds of the resort are nothing short of breathtaking. The manicured lawns, the palm trees and the well maintained pool(s) are really splendid. We spent our first day simply relaxing on the beach in one of the very nice and easily available lawn chairs that the resort provides. Of note, the beach has some undergrowth which makes swimming less than ideal for my taste. An alternative is to go to Gillian's island by ferry. This is a breathtaking experience. Also, one can take a five minute walk to a public beach next to the resort. There are also two pools which are well maintained and offer a stunning view. If you are staying at this resort for some time I recommend a trip to Gillian's island, which boasts clear waters with plenty of mangroves providing shade.

The food at the resort at the Las Palmas is very good but pricey. A $14 omelet in Guanica seems a tad high to me. Drinks are also priced "aggressively." I don't think I have tried a nine dollar mojito at an island resort before. Also, you cannot bring a cooler but there is a small refrigerator in your room. I have also had dinner at las palmas during my stay. I do have to say, both the presentation and the food are of high caliber. Mofongo and churrasco were done just right. If you stay at the resort I do recommend dining here at least once. However, it will likely run $100 with drinks for two people. There are less pricey options in Parguera which is a short drive from the resort. However it will not be in a fancy place with a view such as las palmas.

The resort also had great tennis courts and a fitness center. Both of these amenities seem to be ready for use at any given time. No waiting. There is also a dive shop on site where you can schedule a dive, rent out a catamaran or kayak.

Of note, the staff are really friendly and helpful. At one point a staff member spent thirty minutes picking out an itinerary that would serve our needs.

So in conclusion, the ultimate litmus test of whether this was a good experience is to see if I would do it all over again. The answer is a maybe. If the prices were tamer, especially the food then I would be more likely to return. The service and the staff are definitely an asset while the rooms should be remodeled.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Copamarina was a lovely resort in an out of the way location. The rooms were clean and more than adequate, the beaches were quiet and the pools were nice. The restaurants were quite expensive with mediocre food. It was strange that there we so few restaurants in the area. Definitely need to bring food into the resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rabin O, General Manager at Copamarina Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear "'jmartinlittleton_co, A lovely place to stay"

Thanks for your comments in regard to your recent stay at Copamarina, we are happy to hear that you fing our resort as a "lovely place to stay"
Sorry to hear that you did not enjoyed the food, we do feature fresh sea food brought directly from Guanica's fish market and fresh vegetables from local market to mantain the best quality posible on a competitive price range with the area and San Juan,
Our culinary staf is more than happy to customize or prepare the food to our guest request !
Please let us know next time when you are planning your stay for any special request ,
Rabin Ortiz

Been to Copamarina Beach Resort? Share your experiences!