“Beautiful and quiet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copamarina Beach Resort

You added Copamarina Beach Resort to your Saves list
Copamarina Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Rte 333 Km 6.5 | Caña Gorda Beach, Guanica 00653, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guanica
Falls Church, Virginia
“Beautiful and quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We spent four nights here in December 2012 and were extremely comfortable. Because it was just after Thanksgiving, the resort was quite empty, which we found perfect. The Copamarina is really an oasis on a long, windy road. The rooms all face the water but they are not directly on the water; the swimming pools were between us and the beach -- which is not a criticism since it was so quiet. Service was professional and attentive. The food in the outdoor restaurant was generally good (I had a fish dish that I didn't especially like because of the tomato-based sauce but the mofongo dish was excellent). Because it was low season, the restaurant didn't have several of the wines on the menu. The corkage fee of $20 seemed excessive to me. And the fancier indoor restaurant was only open Friday and Saturday so we missed our chance to try it. It would have been helpful if the front desk had mentioned this when we checked in.

The one reason I'm marking the resort less than perfect: threadbare linens and blankets. Everything was clean but the condition was awful.

For anyone thinking of taking the boat to Gilligan's Island -- I wouldn't bother unless you really need to see for yourself. We brought our snorkels but there was hardly anything worth looking at. I made the mistake of sitting at one of the picnic tables for a half-hour or so and ended up devoured by sand fleas. The bites didn't swell up until the next day and I was pretty miserable for 24 hours. At first I thought they were bed bugs but I'm now convinced otherwise, I'm happy to say.

One more plus -- the location is great if you want to shoot into Ponce for a day or explore the coast, as we did. Based on a friend's recommendation, we also visited San German but didn't think it was all that quaint or interesting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Tilburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We booked this resort for 2 nights, but if we had more time we stayed longer. What a nice place. Although the beach is very nice, going into the sea is at some other places in Puerto Rico better because of the sea grass and 'muddy' feeling of the sand. The short boat trip to Gilligan's Island (for $7 each) is only disappointing if you expect white long beaches. Yes, it is small, only some sunny places to sit down but if snorkeling for more than an hour between the mangroves and around the island, you have a wonderful time. Several birds above and on the island! Take drinks and some food with you if you plan to stay a couple of hours.
The hotel has excellent breakfast and a very friendly cook for the eggs. Everyone in and around the resort is very friendly, nothing is too much for them if asking for trips, tel numbers ect. Free area calls from the reception.
A room at the second floor seems better because of the privacy.

No complains at all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Falls Church, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at Copamarina for 2 nights during our week-long trip to Puerto Rico in November 2012. I'm going to boil it down to positives and negatives:

Positives:
- Beautiful grounds
- Free wi-fi (I know, I know - it's vacation, time to get away - but when you want to look up a tour or directions, you can, even while sitting on the beach! That was pretty awesome, as no other hotel we stayed in offered wi-fi that strong.)
- Free local calls from the hotel room - useful if you need to contact a tour operator, as we did.
- The food at the Las Palmas Cafe was quite tasty.
- The pools are nice, and they have two hot tubs - which you think you won't want when it's hot in Puerto Rico, but you'd be surprised!

Negatives:
- Our room smelled a bit musty or something. It's so humid, nothing ever dries.
- The shutters on the windows are annoying to close whenever you need privacy. Being on the second floor would indeed give you more privacy, as others have suggested, so you don't have to close the blinds every time you want to change!
- The nicer restaurant (Alexandra, I think) is only open on weekends so we didn't get to try it at all.
- The game room no longer exists.
- The pool was closed each night from 9-11pm, supposedly for cleaning. I guess they need to find SOME time to do it, but...annoying if you feel like going in the hot tub and then jumping in the pool at night after dinner!
- We had thought about renting kayaks to go out to Gilligan's Island but they were about $15 per hour, per person.
- We took the ferry out to Gilligan's Island for $7 each and were SORELY disappointed. I had heard that it had white sand beach. I felt like someone had played a prank on me. It is completely covered in mangrove trees, and there are only a couple of small patches of sand where you can set down your towel, but are still shaded by the mangroves, so it's not even like you could lay out and tan. I cannot stress how small the area is that you can walk around on this island - and part of it is taken up by "bathrooms" (no toilet paper, and they smell even from outside). Maybe there's something MAJOR we missed, but I was ready to cry - we'd told the ferry that we wanted to be picked up 3 hours later. Thankfully, the ferry came by again an hour later with more passengers and we grabbed our stuff and ran to it.
- The chairs on the beach in front of the resort do not lay flat. They are made of a material that's connected from head to foot - so when you sit down on it, the back pops up. You can't just set it how you want it and then lay on it. Just trust me, it's annoying.
- The resort is at the end of a long, winding road (6 km I think) so if you want to leave for dinner or whatever, it's not just easy in and out. You definitely can't walk anywhere nearby to eat!

Note about local excursions: We did a snorkel/boat tour in La Parguera while we were at Copamarina. The drive was about 20 minutes, but it's pretty much a straight shot. Don't listen to people who say the bioluminescent bay there isn't worth it -- it was AMAZING. The tour we booked through Rincon Vacations allowed us to swim in the bay! I felt bad because I know it's bad for the ecosystem but how can you pass up a chance to swim in water that glows around you when you move?? The snorkeling was interesting because the guide showed us various sea creatures, but it's not very colorful out there...

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view; second floor would give you more privacy without having to close the anno...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Wow - I cannot review the rooms at the resort as we stayed in the 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom Villa. Wow! The grounds at the resort are just like the pictures: Beautiful!! Like many others that reviewed this property I feel the only negative is that there is only one restaurant (the Alexandra was closed when we were there - Sunday through Thursday). However, the Las Palmas restaurant is excellent!! And, we stayed in the Villa that had a full kitchen so we went to the local grocery store for snacks and a meal that we cooked ourselves. Most of the time we were at the Las Palmas restaurant. The staff is unbelievable - friendly, courteous and so helpful. There was a major rainstorm that came through on Sunday night and after it quit raining all I could see was maintenance people quickly mopping up standing water on the walkways, sidewalks, etc....(wow - cleaning the outside? I was impressed!!) In fact, I always saw maintenance people around tending to the area.
The bedrooms in the Villa have air conditioning units but the rest of the house does not. It did have plenty of ceiling fans and windows (with heavy duty netting) so we had those open and at night it was very comfortable. It was unusually warm for this time of year but I wasn't complaining. Back home it was 32 degrees and here it was 90! The only downside of the villa is that since it is away from the major part of the resort/rooms it is near a service drive so you do hear some traffic (golf carts? I saw housekeeping people going back and forth so I imagine that is where their "office" is and probably where the garbage goes....but I couldn't see anything through the trees and it is NOT enough of a drawback to dissuade me from staying there again.)
Housekeeping staff = INCREDIBLE! All I can say is if you can please my Mother then you did an excellent job!!
They have 2 pools, plus a couple of other small ones. All of the pools are kept very clean. Some reviewers complained about the "poolside service". We were there in what is considered the off season and we still had service. Granted, it was mid to later in the afternoon but we did have lunch and drinks at the pool a couple of the days. The poolside bar was only open on Sunday - I imagine in the off season there isn't a need for it. It was a holiday weekend so it was busy but by Tuesday I felt like we had the resort to ourselves.....So quiet and peaceful. The beach is exactly like the pictures and is everything people have said in their reviews. Beautiful, but a little buggy. However, I only noticed them around dusk (4 - 6pm) and bug spray did the trick. It's true - you just walk a little ways down to the public beach and there isn't as much weeds, etc.....but, it's nature! There are still sand fleas. Copamarina cannot do anything about Mother Nature!! However, the resort is set up with a lot of the rooms facing the west - including the Villa. What amazing sunsets! You can be on the porch of the Villa (and I imagine from most of the rooms)from the pier, or sit at the bar or on the lounge chairs and watch the sun set.....Ahhhh.....sooo relaxing!
Regarding the prices: I thought it was very reasonable...some other reviewers complained but for a resort I was prepared. Besides, this was a major vacation for me. Coming from the United States it was comparable to being in a major city (New York, Chicago, etc).
We chose this resort over the other major resort because we were looking for a relaxing trip - We got it! Thanks Copamarina!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Salvador, El Salvador
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Bad:
After being advertised as an All-Inclusive resort we were greeted with that it was not an all-inclusive resort since May. Way to go!

The first night there was a huge rain and water was all over the front lobby. Everything was wet and slippery; not comfy at all. Although the weather is not the resorts fault, the lobby full of water is.

If you want a massage as it is advertised as a SPA, forget it. Appointments will not be kept and no care is given about it. You will not be compensated.

Honestly it's our first visit and I am not so sure if we will visit again. A very long way from the metro area and not the best of attentions.

Expensive:
If you are with your spouse, one full day is going to cost you around $90-100/person. Starting with breakfast @ ~$20/person; Lunch @ $20/person and dinner at $30-$40 per person with some light drinking. The best bet would be to get the breakfast and eat plenty as it is buffet
As a pay as a you eat/drink resort, it appears to be a tad expensive for a beach front room 490 for 2 nights and 3 days where you only enjoy one full day of it for $500.00 its really expensive. With that budget we could have gone easily to El Conquistador and have had better experience overall.

Staff:
The staff although polite and somewhat attentive as you would expect, they are not keen to taking your vacation seriously. They didn't know what is being offered and what is not. They are mostly "bound" to limits in a place where you wouldn't want to find one. Specially in the food area. Unless you find yourself with LUIS RODRIGUEZ, he will make sure you have what you want despite what the other waitress tell you. This guy made our day. He was extremely polite and attentive and made sure our wishes for breakfast were met, even if it wasn't on the buffet. He is the guy preparing the custom breakfast like omelets and others like fried eggs. Very nice person and a pleasure to deal with. Definitely made a difference in all the "no-to-everything-saying" full staff.

The Premises:

In this regard it is a great place. The beach front is quite nice. You get to see the sunset in a very romantic way on the beach or on the stools/beds that are on the beach. The bar is right in front of the beach and you always have an awesome view.

The decoration of the place is quite nice and charming. We enjoyed a lot more eating by the bar than inside in Alexandria's Restaurant. But for the people that really like the "going out to the restaurant" you can still have that experience.

I do not recommend visiting Giligan's Island. It was really a waste of time and a waste of money in our opinion There is absolutely nothing to see and you will have a much better view by the hotel than on the island.

The place is very nicely lit and the ambient is really relaxing. In this regards I give the place A+ There are 3 pools: One by the beach front rooms, the main pool which has a low wall that gives a good view to the beach and a hot bath pool for room for about 5-6 people. Very nice facilities. The touch of wood on the decoration is quite appealing and nice.

We recommend staying at the beach front rooms like we did. It is a lot nice to have a back door beach access to your room and not having to cross by the front desk or lobby. Don't know why, I just liked it better.

Food:
The food was decently good. Not the best, but honestly you will eat well for the duration of your stay. We tried the Skirt Steaks and The Marlin. Of all the skirt Stake is a better meal (churrasco).

The Pina Colada that we ordered was absolutely HORRIBLE (Sorry).

The Room:

The room was a double queen bed and the stay is average. The decoration is nice and overall is a nice room to stay in. Its not a 5-star all the amenities hotel, but it gets the job done for the getaway escape.

Overall:

Its a nice place and I hope this review gets viewed by the managers so they can see what is good and what is bad and they can fix the bad things going on that could make this place a great stay.

Room Tip: Get the room with the beach front. 108-106 would be perfect.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Last trip to Puerto Rico we stopped in to look around on our way to Gilligans Island. Even thou here on business we decided to stay here. Very happy we did! Very relaxing and convenient with the restaurants on the property which were good! Looking forward to coming with my whole family some day!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sadsburyville, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family very much enjoyed our stay at Copamarina. The rooms and hotel grounds were well-maintained and the staff was very courteous and helpful. Our kids (5 and 10) loved the various pools and hot tubs, and we enjoyed day-trip to Gilligan's Island. Drawbacks are remote location - 30 min drive to nearest outside restaurant - long drive to/from San Juan. Also, Copamarina's beach is just awful - 'gummy' sand and too much seaweed. Badly in need of a dredging.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Copamarina Beach Resort? Share your experiences!