“That's One Mistake We Won't Make Again!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Katelios Studios

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Katelios
Katelios Studios
You added Katelios Studios to your Saves list
Katelios, Greece   |
Northwest England UK
“That's One Mistake We Won't Make Again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We are seasoned Greek holiday makers and have visited many Greek Islands over the last 15 years or so. We go self catering because we like the freedom it brings and are thus familiar with the Greek 'basic'! However, around 8 years ago we settled on Kefalonia as our favourite place, in particular, Katelios.
We have stayed in a variety of studios within Katelios and have always been most happy with the accommodation, friendliness and service received from the studio owners. We have also hired cars for a few days and have travelled the island from top to bottom almost every year.
This year however, was different. We booked the Katelios studios with Olympic for 14 nights and arranged to hire a car for a full week because our friends were also holidaying at roughly the same time as us except they were based in Lassi. We had agreed we would car share to see the island as they had never hired a car despite having made some 4 visits to Kefalonia previously.
The Katelios studio is well placed in the village and has its own pool, a must for us. The local well stocked mini market is situated very close next door. Although we had passed the studios on many occasions whilst staying at the Eryphilli studios, we had not paid too much attention to the place and had not used the pool facility as the Eryphilli also has its own pool. On arrival we were shown our room, which turned out to be the usual basic standard and unremarkable. Shabby, dated but tolerable. However, on being greeted by the owner, a large poorly dressed unkempt man, our troubles began. Whilst people need to be made aware of facilities on offer such as the air conditioning and safety deposit box, they do not need to be pounced on regarding an impending BBQ evening some three days hence. The hard sell began with the owner demanding to know if we would be going. When I explained that we were meeting some friends later in the week and I was unsure of our plans at that time I was met with a hostile response that 'if I didn't want to go it was not a problem' and that informing him at a later time was not an option as "I need to know"!
It is hard to describe one of the most unpleasant people I have ever met on a holiday. 'Aris' as he is known is a bully and his manner is both aggressive and intimidating. Other posts have described him as being moody and sullen and this description is most apt. There is no doubt that if you do not frequent his bar or purchase the optional 'extras' mentioned previously, he finds it difficult to extend even a reasonable degree of courtesy.
From the outset we had no hot water and on day two of our stay I went to the bar area to inform Aris of this so that he could rectify the problem. Instead of assuring me he would put this right, he launched into a tirade about 'complaints' muttering in Greek and English and blaming the lack of hot water on a 2 hour strike the previous day. Off he stormed, demanding I accompany him to the boiler house to see for myself that it had been serviced. Needless to say I declined. Still no hot water and on day four we duly collected our car and went off around the island on our travels. This included two nights stay away from our accommodation when, thankfully, we were able to have hot showers after the hard days travels.
On our return surprise! We were able to have our first hottish shower in our room but come the following day, back to cold water :( In addition to this, there was no cleaning service and our bins were emptied only once in the first week. The linen and towels were also changed only once and you can imagine the state of our towels by the time they were changed! Despite our best efforts and the use of a flannel we were unable to remove all of the suntan lotion in the shower. This only took place some four, five or six days after our arrival as it was carried out while we were away.
We had arranged to revisit our friends in the second week to do more touring and this also involved a further overnight stay so once again, we had been back in our studio for some three days and our bins had not been emptied. Since we were going touring again, I emptied the bins myself on the morning we were going out and once again went in the bar area to find Aris in order to complain at the lack of service and the failure to provide hot water. I spoke to him an a polite manner and at no time did I raise my voice or swear. This time he flew into an absolute rage, saying no-one else had complained and saying 'I do not believe you'! This was a new experience for me and I was quite incredulous at his reaction, especially when he told me "don't complain to me". I'm not surprised other hadn't approached him. His attitude was clear for all to see in his manner and I can't see many people challenging him. I told him not to raise his voice to me in that manner and asked him if he thought I enjoyed complaining, telling him that it was my holiday and that all I wanted was my bins emptying and some hot water! Once again he marched off to the boiler and left me standing in the bar area. I went back to our room to collect my bag and in he marched......... turning the tap on at the kitchenette! If it wan't so serious it would have been comical. He stood for at least two minutes letting the water run but of course it was stone cold. Suddenly he shouted, "see! here! put your hand under the water. It is hot now"! I put my hand under the tap and the water was barely tepid.....and I told him so. " You wait for 10 minutes and the water will be hot " he said. By this time I had lost patience and told him in no uncertain terms that I wanted hot water when I wanted it...not when he decided!
Just in case you weren't aware........the writer is a woman! I wouldn't let my husband approach him because I had his measure on our arrival. The man is a greedy, overweight, lazy slob and doesn't give two hoots about holiday makers. He charges 14 euros per person for his BBQ, a re-heated hash of cheap food (words came from other holiday makers who had been press ganged into attending his BBQ). He has only a toaster facility behind his bar and doesn't have cooking facilities for a BBQ on site. I had only used the swimming pool on one occasion at the beginning of the holiday as, having taken a close look, I could clearly see a scum ring around the side and lots of floating garden debris and insects. I couldn't see the bottom of the pool and this is always a warning of a potential health hazard so decided to go elsewhere.
He also asked other guests for 20 euros to use their studio on the day of departure whilst allowing others to 'leave him a tip and put the key in the door' if they were deemed to be 'favourites' who had patronised his bar.
As a final insult, on the day of departure whilst my husband was preparing our breakfast, he came around at 10.15am to shout out that we should "go.... leave the room". When my husband asked why and that we thought the room should be vacated at 11am, as had been the case at all the other studios we had used, he said 10. His wife duly arrived and dumped her buckets, mops etc at our door before we had a chance of getting our suitcases out! Although we had not seen a notice at any time during our stay as it was obscured by other printed information, other guests who were also leaving informed us that on hearing him they checked and the notice on the back of the doors clearly stated the room must be vacated at 11.00am! I had already taken out all of our rubbish myself and placed all recyclables in the council provided bins just down the road.....something that neither he or his wife had done in the whole two weeks we were there. There were plastic bags full of empty glass and plastic bottles left by previous guests around the gardens together with other rubbish strewn about the gardens surrounding the pool area. The place looked like a junk yard!
We didn't care! We were glad to be out and after eating our boiled eggs we placed our cases in the bar area and nipped around to the beautiful new Magnolia hotel and spa at the back of the Katelios studios where we spent the day swimming in the glorious, clean pool and having a very civilised lunch there before dressing in readiness to meet our coach!
Obviously we have spoken to Olympic about this matter and the level of efficiency in their dealings with the owner will become apparent in due course as more posts are put on the various web sites giving accounts of Kefalonia and Katelios in particular. Lets just say that the Olympic rep was stationed at the same studios for the duration of the season and was not unsympathetic towards our complaints. No doubt he will process the complaint in accordance with ' the system' and the company will take whatever action is deemed appropriate given the circumstances.
If you are a 'faint of heart' type person who cannot deal with conflict of any kind, you have been warned! You might be lucky.....Aris may change his ways but then again..........

Room Tip: contact the rep in resort to see that you get a room with 'no problem'
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Having read a few of the reviews it was really hard to determine this place, as there was a few negative comments.
Katelios Studios, set in the heart of the village, conveinently located just a short walk to the local Tavernas and beaches. When we arrived we were greeted by the owners Aris and Lula who were extremelly welcoming, and the first thing they said was "come have a drink in the bar", so we did, and we met a few others guests. The apartments have 8 rooms downstairs and 8 upstairs, our room, although basic was clean, and had eveything we needed, the balcony was a nice and large, and we had views of the sea. It came fully equiped with pots,pans, and a sandwich toaster (added bonus)!
We found the owners really friendly, and made friends quickly with the other guests, at a local bbq that was put on at the apartments.
Katelios is a small fishing village, but just a 10 minute stroll, and you reach some lovely tavernas and a small beach. Some of the restaurants we would recommend is Jerrys, Captain Jerrys, and the Four Brothers, all in easy reach, and reasonable priced.
Overall we had an amazing experience of Katelios, and Katelios Studios, and we are already planning our trip there next year!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
south london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Stayed here for a week in June. was a little worried after reading some earlier reviews. We found the studio great for what we were looking for PEACE and QUIET. these studios are very basic but also very clean. I found the beds uncomfortable but at the price we paid I should,nt moan.We found Jerrys restaurant (on the left hand side of the road on the way to the beach) the best place to eat, It is run by Jerry and his wife and their food is beautiful, We had breakfast and dinner several times during our stay. The staff at Jerry will always offer you a drink on the house when you pay your bill, All the drinks are international brands. We hired a car for 3 days and drove all around the island. I think kefalonia is one of the prettiest places I,ve been to, The beaches are almost as good as Thailand, Anyone visiting this island I can highly recommend a beach call Avithos its about a mile from the airport, Has a great beach bar lovely sunbeds and beautiful sand. I will be visiting Kefalonia again in the near future.

Tobermory, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

The owners of Katelios Studios, Aris and Lula, are amazing hosts. I have read some negative comments about them and really find them very difficult to believe. The service and welcome you receive is second to none.
The rooms are basic but what else do you need when you go to the sun, other than a place to wash and lay your head. The rooms are cleaned and the bed linen changed every 2 or 3 days.
Katelios itself boasts a wonderful array of tavernas which serve up mouth watering food particularly the fish dishes (not my favourite, but hey ho!). The village is very quiet and peaceful and the local people are very welcoming.
This was our 6th visit to these studios and it certainly won't be our last and the main reason for our return are the hosts.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Glossop
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

This was not our first time in Katelios as a resort, but it was the first time at Katelios Studios. After reading one or two negative reports about the complex we were a little worried, but what the hey - if its that bad there are plenty of places we could move to if necessary.

It seem earlier reports of a poor show may have been greatly exaggerated

We arrived under our own steam from the airport (not wishing to be on the transfer coach) and we were met by Aristides (Ari or Aris to most) who was expecting us and knew we were 'the people for appartment 8' and gave us a very warm welcome.
The apartment/studio is basically the same as every other Greek self catering studio I have been to - 2 beds, wc with shower, sink, fridge, 2 hotplates, kettle, mixed crockery and cutlery (added benefit of sandwich toaster). All perfectly adequate for making breakfasts, picnics and snacks.

Room was cleaned, linen changed and bins emptied a couple of times in the week.

The pool is lovely and has plenty of loungers and 'brollys.

Contrary to earlier reports, even though we used the pool bar very little, and then only for a couple of soft drinks during the day, Aris was a very pleasant host with a smile, a wave and a 'yassou' each time we saw him.
Loula, his wife seems to be a non stop bundle of energy cleaning, tidying fetching and carrying and yet still has time to smile, wave and a 'kali mera' for everyone.

Katelios is a wonderful little resort, I have spent about 16 weeks holiday there over the last 20 years. Try different tavernas on the front or on the main road, they are ALL good, the best thing is trying them and finding this out for yourself. Visit Nemesis bar - OK it can be a little loud sometimes but Denise and Nico will look after you well, if you want a quieter drink go and see Sharon at Aliti's Bar.
From Breakfast with Christine and Panagi at Dreams beach bar to a late (sometimes VERY late) drink with Sharon Katelios is a great resort.
But don't forget the rest of the island, get a car - go sightseeing

Macclesfield, Cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

I feel the need to write a review, after reading trip advisor, I was really nervous about staying here, but my holiday was booked.
I was very surprised by the room, it was very clean and more than meet my needs and requirements. We paid for air con and safety deposit key, as both are good, specially as it was mid 30's most the week!!!

We visited most stuios in the local area and meet many people, yet we were very happy with our studio. Harry was always pleasant and informative, easy to talk too and we got on well. The guy puts some hours in and works hard!!!

I have my own business , so I look at things always differently, and because of the welcome and the effort put in, we match that with spending some money to support his business and many others on the island. We go on holiday to have fun, enjoy our selfs and NOT cook, so we ate every time out, Jerry's down the road is amazing, and you get a great Hot Dog or Bacon Toastie and Katelios Studios..... Great way to start the day...

Dont be put off by comments on here, you get out of life what you put in, if you go on holiday to moan and not embrace everything and life over there, then expect a bad time!!

We loved it and are planning to go back in September ....

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

My partner and I visited these studios through Olympic Holidays in June 2009. We were told, as it was both of our birthdays, that we would get a warm welcome and be spoilt by Aris, the chap who runs the accommodation.
The rooms themselves are basic but quiet enough, apart from the fact that there is a large hotel being built about 10 metres from the rooms and a relatively noisy road close by. The main problem is Aris, as soon as he realised that we were not drinking (in his exceptionally poorly stocked) bar of an evening, preferring instead to visit the Tavernas on the seafront, then he became surly and sulky.

In fact on our penultimate night he started an argument with him when I questioned (terribly politely I can assure you) why we were being charged for the safe key when nobody had told us there was a charge. He waved his fists at me, knocked over a table and a chair and told me to get out of his accommodation there and then. My partner and I were terrified that he was going to 'evict us' when he went out that evening.

He really is unpleasant and ruined our holiday. There are much nicer places to stay with nicer hosts I'm sure. As for the rest of Kefalonia, the island is beautiful, the sea gorgeous and the people absolutely lovely.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Katelios Studios? Share your experiences!