“A Fantastic Hotel with Fantastic Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Utopia Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Katelios 28086, Greece   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Katelios
Fleet, United Kingdom
“A Fantastic Hotel with Fantastic Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel is in a really nice location and very close to both the beach and village centre which has a good selection of high quality tavernas to choose from. The whole hotel is spotlessly clean with very nice swimming pools and plenty of high quality sun beds for everyone (no need to put the towels out, but some people still do!).

On arrival we were greeted by the manager and his staff who all had beaming smiles and made us feel extremely welcome. This continued throughout our two week stay. After a stressful days travelling (our car broke down at Gatwick), we were given a wonderful upgrade which was very much appreciated. Our room was fantastic and finished to a very high standard with lovely sea views.

We booked through Olympic holidays on a full board plus basis. The only reason for this was because this worked out cheaper than what Thompsons offered on a B&B basis when we booked last September. The food was very good, although for us, Greece is more about getting out and about and soaking in the atmosphere at the local tavernas (would you spend two weeks in the UK eating at the same restaurant 3 times a day for 14 days?).

As has already been mentioned on previous reviews, it is the staff who are the real stars here. They work very hard to make sure that you are made welcome. This was evident from everyone from the management to the cleaners.

Please do not take notice of previous reviews made by disgruntled Thompson holiday makers who DID NOT ACTUALLY STAY HERE. To give 1 star against this hotel whereby the fault was clearly with Thompsons I find very unfair and very misleading. I even read one review from a couple who just 'popped' in for a drink after being moved by Thompson to another hotel......ridiculous.

This was our 3rd trip to Kefalonia, but first to Katelios. We travelled as a family of 3 (son 13 yrs) and can highly recommend both this hotel and Katelios.

Room Tip: If you cannot travel via a UK travel operator, book direct! (We normally book independently, but had...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I booked the Utopia over a year ago as it had fantastic reviews and I wanted a special holiday for our 25th wedding anniversary. I was really worried as the holiday date got nearer as I was reading really bad reviews on the hotel. I booked with Olympic holidays, thankfully not Thomson who seem to have cocked a lot of people's holidays up. I emailed the hotel and got in touch with Olympic who both assured me my holiday was safe. From start to finish our holiday was fantastic. The hotel, pool and spa are absolutely spotless. We had a problem with our air conditioning which was fixed straight away. We booked bed and breakfast which I'd advise anyone to do. The grill house and taverna just down the road do a great choice of meat and fish dishes and are only too happy to jiggle the menu around to suit. The food is so cheap too, we couldn't believe it. We ate every night for under 30 euros with drinks. Be prepared to dine alongside the local puddies. There are loads of cats and kittens, I bought tuna from a shop to feed them and gave them titbits whilst I was eating.

Our room was very comfortable and clean. It was cleaned every day with fresh towels. Towels are also provided for the pool area. We had a lovely view over the pool area and out to sea. It was hilarious watching all the Polish guests putting out their towels on sunbeds before breakfast. There was no need, there were plenty to go round. It was so quiet it was just what we wanted. I booked a quiet, non booze filled, no crappy entertainment, non Benidorm type holiday and that's exactly what we got. There was a Greek night on one night of the week which was very good. The musicians were brilliant and the dancers entertaining.

On our anniversary the receptionist informed us that the hotel wanted to give us a bottle of wine and our meal free which was a lovely surprise. I don't drink so my hubby had a bottle of Robola to himself!

The lady in the spa was very helpful. I asked if we could have a look around and she took us round the jacuzzi pool, the sauna area, therapy rooms and Thai relaxation room. It looked amazing and would be great for a wedding package. If we return, we'll have to use the spa area before we start sunbathing.

I'm disabled but found the hotel very easy to get around. It had a lift, disabled toilets near the pool area and the pool had gently sloping steps with a rail.

Katelios is a tiny place with lots of local charm and plenty of places to eat.
We took a local bus which stopped just up from the hotel to Skala. Skala beach was lovely and there were quite a few shops. We also visited the Roman Villa. We booked a couple of trips with our rep. It cost a bit more than booking locally but being disabled I thought I'd be looked after better with our rep. We did the island tour which was a long day but amazing. We stopped at Fiskardo, had photo opportunities at the breathtaking Myrtos, lunch as Assos, a look around the Robola winery, the Monastery and then on to Melissani lake/cave and Drogarati cave. The lake entrance has a few steps followed by a carpeted slope down to the water. No idea how I did it but I was determined to walk down to have my boat ride and I did. The walk back up near killed me but was well worth it. I couldn't do Drogarati as there are 120 steps. Hubby did this one on his own and the photos he took are very impressive. We also did the evening trip to Argostoli for a meal and shopping. We saw a turtle swimming along the shore. We also had a surprise stop at another local winery where hubby bought the rest of our luggage allowance in wine!!

All in all a fabulous holiday. A beautiful island and a beautiful hotel. Thank you very much Utopia for making our anniversary so special. We will return one day.

Room Tip: Pool view is lovely.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Corsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had booked for a two week stay at the utopia in July 2013
Our booking was made a year prior due to holiday , Two weeks before we were also told that Thompsons were no longer using this Hotel ,This was a blow as we knew the Hotel and the Island as we had visited many times before
We were offered very little alternative accommodation but we settled for a villa
This turned out to be just OK not really what we wanted at all
During our stay we visited the Utopia as the spa is excellent !!!
Effi is very professional and we enjoyed a fabulous spa experience once again
At the hotel we chatted to the receptionist and to the spa staff and it seems Thompson have been driving the prices down along with other UK Travel companies
I have decided that I will not be using Thompsons for future Holiday bookings
The Utopia is a lovely Hotel and in future we will book direct with them

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We booked our in January to go to Kefallinia in Greece to stay at the 5* Utopia spa and resort.
An hour before our flight my friend received an email not even a phone call from Ola asking her to call them. We were then informed that they had changed our hotel to a 3* on the other side of the island. We were rudely told that if we did not go holiday then we would receive no refund. The lady also told us to our dismay that we may even enjoy it once we got there. We are still not sure why we were moved as we went to the Utopia and saw it open and looking just as beautiful as in the photographs.
Very dissapointed as we ended up in the middle of knowhere and had to get taxis everywhere!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had booked to stay at this hotel for two weeks in June and had booked eight weeks prior to departure with Sunvil. 20 hours before our flight departed we received a call from Sunvil to say that the hotel had over booked our room and that we could no longer stay there. They offered an alternative accomodation at a place called the 'Hotel Pacifae' which upon arrival turned out to be no more than a one star hotel with a room less well equipped that your average prison cell and with a bedcover that was so stained and torn that you wouldn't let a dog sleep on it. Sunvil put us up in a Villa overnight whilst they tried to resolve the situation. The following day after spending 4 hours sitting in the reception area of 'The Utopia' the owner informed our rep that he wasn't going to do anything for us. The spineless owner had neither the courage nor conviction to face us himself to explain his reasons.
Our Sunvil rep said that he had never experienced such atrocious behaviour from a hotel owner and by the afternoon had relocated us in a far better hotel in Scala.
Conversely, Sunvil were fantastic in the way that they handled the problem and we would not hesitate to use them again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We booked the Utopia through alpha rooms. We were due to fly Monday 3rd of June and were called just 2 days prior by alpha rooms to be told the management has decided to stop using them and is only dealing with one operator now, so our booking was cancelled. We were offered a full refund or an alternative from alpha rooms but we feel extremely let down by the owners of the hotel and no doubt there are others in our position too. On top of this we have found out from the recent reviews that the hotel was not even all inclusive as described with a bar (serves beer and wine only) that shuts at 9.30pm. Also sounds like there is no pool bar, entertainment, no working spa etc etc. Thankfully we can found suitable alternative accomodation, no thanks to the idiots that are running this place. Beware if you are thinking of booking this hotel for your holiday, the managers obviously don't care about their prospective guests if they can do this to us at such little notice.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at the Utopia from 24 May to 2 June. Our party consisted of my wife and me and my wife's daughter, husband and two children aged two and four. We had read the poor reviews written in the previous weeks and were really surprised with these as we had stayed here before and been delighted with everything. This hotel is spotlessly clean, has three lovely pools and the rooms are roomy and well decorated. The food was very good with plenty of choice and the all inclusive basis was excellent, with the beer and wine of a much more than adequate standard. The real selling point has to be the fantastic staff, from Peggy the manager to the cleaners. Dimitri and Yani were especially kind to us and were always more than willing to go out of their way to help. The children were made a fuss of by everyone and they were so sad to leave (I must add if you have children don't go to the Magnolia Resort in Katelios which we visited for an evening and I was told by the lady owner that children were "not welcome" in a very rude manner). I would stay at the Utopia again without question and may even visit them later in the summer.

Room Tip: If you want a shady balcony opt for a mountain view, the pool view balconies are in sun for the whol...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Utopia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!