“luxury hotel in green surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Andover, United Kingdom
“luxury hotel in green surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

The hotel is a half hour taxi ride (£30) from the train station or 15 minutes from the airport and located outside Edinburgh in a beautiful green area. Half hour taxi ride to centre or take bus for £5.
It is a picturesque building, well kept and full of atmosphere.
Staff is friendly and international.
There are many facilities around the hotel, such as golf courses, there is a gym and pool included in thew hotel fee. Many meeting rooms meeting business standards. Lot of nice snacks provided for the meeting rooms with plentiful portions and friendly staff.
Wifi needs to be paid for and isn't a strong connection in all rooms.
Check-in, check-out and meeting service all very friendly. Breakfast really nice with good quality and good choice. There are two restaurants, neither cheap. The country club restaurant is cheaper but poor quality, I paid £10 for a cheese sandwich on rather dry bread. The other restaurant has really nice food, but you pay accordingly (£40-50 for a meal and drink). Reservation is needed and not always available, even if the hotel seems quiet.
The room was fine with coffee and tea making facilities. Possibility to open the window. Trousers presser, ironing facilities in room. No minibar.
Bed very comfortable as always in Marriott. A bit of noise from neighbouring rooms and corridor. Many elderly people staying at this hotel tending to get up around 6 am, so best to wear earplugs if you like to sleep in.
All in all a very good experience, I stayed here a week and enjoyed the surroundings and good food. Suited for filled pockets though.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Stayed in the Dalmahoy for five nights, on reward points. The hotel is in a lovely rural setting and boasts two golf courses, together with good facilities such as spa, gym and pool. There are two places to eat, one being casual and one formal dining, we did not use the formal restaurant, however, we dined twice in the Zest restaurant and had a good meal on both occasions.

The room was well appointed, clean and well maintained during our visit, we were on the second floor overlooking the golf course and tennis courts. The rooms were very quiet throughout our stay.

The staff were excellent, from arrival to departure, they could not do enough for you. We arrived a little early and our room was not ready, the reception offered us a drink while we waited and we sat outside overlooking the tee off for one of the golf courses and enjoyed the scenery, an excellent start to our short break.

The breakfast is very good with a large choice of traditional and continental selections, again the staff during breakfast were very good and extremely helpful.

The hotel is about a 10minute drive from a park and ride, which was excellent to get into Edinburgh. It was free to park and the "hop on hop off" ticket was £3.50 per day per adult, which was excellent value.

Apart from dining in the hotel we ate at the Bridge in Ratho, which again presented good food and an enjoyable atmosphere.

If going again to Edinburgh I would definitely stay here again as it provided an excellent stay in a relaxing environment.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Attended a family wedding reception here and stayed overnight.
- apart from some slight non comprehension at reception when booking in
( there did seem to be some momentary confusion with our son sharing with a cousin of a different surname - but there was a sudden influx of family coming in and although rooms had been reserved we had not specified our different family names, so understandable. )
- but it all got sorted and we received our pass cards, to pop our bags in the rooms and then head into the cocktail lounge.
The grounds and house exterior where super for the wedding shoot, and the staff serving champagne and nibbles where friendly and attentive.
The staff at the meal where professional and efficient and I was very pleasantly surprised that I did not need to state I was one of the vegetarian's but actually got brought my meal at the same time as everyone else ( generally at weddings I'm the last to be served with a - 'oh you're the one!' attitude I have to say alas :( ) so well done there. - and the food good too !

Checked out the disabled toilet at the entry level for party member,it had a couple of grab bars and a drop bar and seemed to present enough room for chair user and assistant of standard size and standard chair.
Cluster of steep stairs ( about 8 ) flat bit then another normal depth cluster ( another 8 or so ) to corridor to access function suite and on past that to lifts and rooms ( although believe we where asked if we wished our bags taken to our rooms but said we where fine )
personally was glad I was not wearing incredibly high heels for negotiating the stairs but that's my own observation ( mother in law had went straight to her room and put on flat shoes upon entering the hotel as it happens )

To the end of the night a small cluster of us ( including bride and groom ) ended up after it had finished , toasting in the cocktail lounge to the wee' small hours thanks to the wonderful accommodating bar staff.

The room was spacious and spotless, the bed roomy and comfortable, the en suite sparkling with good shelf space for toiletries, soft towels and easy to operate over the bath shower.

The breakfast had everything you could wish for, including an omelette bar, a variety of pastries, fresh bread, ample range of fruit, numerous cereals variety of juices and herbal teas, cheeses and meats also.

The swimming pool beautifully designed with one end opening up to a lovely high ceiling, the sauna roomy enough to accommodate a good cluster if needed, and the steam room a decent enough size, the ladies changing rooms well planned with masses of lockers and all that you would expect in a good spa.

We visited the bride and grooms suite and it was spacious, as well as being quirky and interesting as well as offering a good base for a longer stay.

The hotel had a mixture of guests, our wedding party, another incoming wedding party on our departure, sporting ( golf ) groups - I know as well as the golf course, there are stables and a polo field in part of the grounds-, and people perhaps on business or holiday, but everyone was treated with respect and care, and I feel everyone was accommodated for.

I enjoyed the stay,
( and it's perfect for a wedding )
in addition - if someone was wishing somewhere with a country setting yet with the advantages of being on the outskirts of Edinburgh ( so golfers can do so and the shoppers can nip into town for the day - park and ride just a few miles down the road ) then this would certainly be a place to consider.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

What a beautiful golf course and club house , made more sweeter with a win over the lads, I have played on a number of course in the uk , and this must be in my top 3 , I would recommend this course to one and all , good practice area, greens first class , I will be back.

Stayed August 2014
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Wow what can I say... Stayed in St. Andrews the night before arriving here and my experience at Dalmahoy was first class before I reached the actual door! We arrived in the car park to a lone piper belting out tunes at the hotel door! What better welcome could one expect, even though this was for a wedding party! Check in was swift and the lady on the desk could not have been more helpfull. Once inside my well appointed room there was a knock at the door... 1 waiter with a bottle of wine on ice and a cheese board as a welcome gift! Boy did I feel spoilt. 5 minutes later another knock at the door! This time the fantastic hotel manager is standing there bearing more gifts! A selection of Tunnocks wafers and tea cakes and a special tin of Dalmahoy shortbread ( I kept this to send to Japan ) he uncorked my wine and checked if there was any assistance the hotel could provide. Now this is what I call first class care and attention of hotel guests. Well done Dalmahoy you set the benchmark for others to follow! Breakfast was fab, egg chief first class and the golf and leisure facilities fantastic. I love this hotel and intend to return often!

• Stayed June 2014
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Just a quick review. Spent a night here recently whilst away on business.

Lovely place, very attractive setting. Inside the hotel is a bit of a maze, and I couldn't recommend it for someone who has difficulty walking, as the rooms are hard to get to.
Very good, well-equipped gym and exercise area.
Nice sports bar, but poor range of drinks (no real ale) and an uninspiring selection of bar meals. Service was good, however, from friendly staff.
Very nice rooms, and although the room was a little warm on the night I stayed, I did sleep well, which is unusual for me.
Good brekfast.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Stranraer, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This was our 5th stay at Dalmahoy, not that I was counting, but the lovely welcome note in our room along with a miniature of Dalmahoy Single Malt whisky told us that so!

Once again, from beginning to end the stay was outstanding. After being upgraded to a Junior Turret Suite on our 2nd stay (clever move Marriott!) we have booked into one ever since for our annual trip. We now have 2 girls and they love their own area of the room (they sleep on the double sofa bed in the turret!) as well as the enormous bathroom and our huge bed too. I love that the windows open enough to allow fresh air into the room as it can get hot. Also, the blackout curtains do an excellent job.

Check-in was fantastic with the new Marriott rewards app - we checked in on our way to the hotel and were easily whisked to our room immediately on arrival.

Breakfast was delicious, hot, plentiful and even with a full hotel we didn't have to wait to be seated or to get any items. Our request for soya milk was dealt with quickly and effortlessly.

The swimming pool and changing areas were spotless and warm enough to get myself and a 5 year old and 2 year old changed without any of us being cold.

Check out was just as easy as check in especially as the bill is put under your door during your last night so you have the chance to review it at your leisure before heading to reception.

Once again, thank you Marriott Dalmahoy. We will be back!

Room Tip: If you can, go for a junior turret suite - it's huge!