“Romantic getaway heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Berkshire
“Romantic getaway heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

Cannot recommend hotel highly enough. Service fantastic, room was lovely and spacious. Was very clean and comfy. Wonderful location. I took my girlfriend away here to propose to her in Edinburgh. The hotel was perfect for us on our first night engaged. Excellent for a romantic getaway.

• Liked — The whole thing was amazing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Glos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

We were here for 4 days to visit the Fringe, having failed to get get anything affordable nearer the city, but there is a good bus service and a 24 hour park and ride nearby so it wasn't a problem. The location was stunning and the room was up to usual Marriott standards, except that the safe wasn't working but this I felt was minor. Also there was no air con, but there was a fan, which I prefer anyway. However on the second day, we left the room just before eight in the morning and returned at 10.30 at night to find that it hadn't been made up. When we brought this to the attention of the Management they:

a) came and made up the room themselves
b) paid for a taxi for our next ride in to Edinburgh
c) presented us with a huge bowl of fruit with a very sweetly worded card from the duty manager
d) got us a dirt cheap (and I mean CHEAP!) rate at the York Marriott where we stayed on our way home, and were given what must have been the best room in the house.

Frankly, it was embarrassing, ultimately. Okay Marriott, you have made your point. We will be back!

Stayed July 2008
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

On our recent trip to Scotland I was looking for a place for us to unwind for a few days prior to the kids arriving and sightseeing and golf. This was the perfect place. I have to say, I was a bit worried because there are so many negative reviews, but I found the people to be very friends, especially Lindsey who helped up with booking golf, spa and finding information. Yes, the service is slow, but if I wanted fast, I could go to McDonalds. While we were awaiting our food nature rewarded us with a lovely rainbow. The rooms are a bit far from the lobby, and somewhat confusing getting around, but the workout room was very nice, and the sauna was devine. I had a lovely time walking around the property taking photos. Beautiful horses just down the hill. We found the food better than expected, and esp loved the stuffed potato with chicken and brie. Breakfast buffet was lovely...but do avoid that bacon! For details and photo link check out my travel blog

• Liked — gardens, countryside, views, people
  • Disliked — very big property...long way to rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

stayed overnight while on a golfing break. This is a high quality hotel. Staff are excellent,food high quality and surroundings wonderful, very relaxing.

Stayed July 2008
Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Dalmahoy for 2 nights in June 2008 for a wedding reception that was being held there.

To begin on the positives, the hotel is really in a stunningly beautiful setting. The staff, for the most part, were pleasant and helpfull as well. The facilities for the wedding reception were quite nice and the food/service was excellent.

The negatives (in our opinion), are that while the setting is very beautiful, unless you are a golfer (again, we were there for a wedding), there really is not much to do at the hotel. As we were from out of town and had not rented a vehicle, this posed a problem for us. We ended up paying for taxis to get into the city center. Clearly this is less of an issue if you have a vehicle. As others have pointed out, the room we were put in was, I believe, the absolute furthest from the reception desk possible, and that is quite far indeed. It seemed we walked through miles of winding corridors, only to get to an elevator, that took us up to another long corridor - our room was at the end of this. Upon check-in we were not even offered bell-service to deliver our luggage to our room. One other person checking in at the same time asked for his bags to be delivered and was told it wasn't available. After he insisted, however, the front desk grudgingly said they would deliver his bags (thus my comment that the staff, for the most part, was friendly and helpful).

Overall, the negatives cancelled out the positives at this hotel and I honestly can't give it more than a neutral rating. I think if someone was there for a golf get-away and had a vehicle, it would be a better experience, but for us it was not terribly memorable. We probably would not stay there again.

• Liked — Setting
  • Disliked — Far from everything, distance of rooms from reception
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Axbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

We stayed at the Marriott for three nights having chosen the Marriott because of very good experiences with the Marriott hotels in Paris and Bangkok. What a disappointment!

Although the reception desk staff were excellent most of the other staff were dour, grumpy, and even rude. The service and food in the Long Weekend Bistro style restaurant was very poor. It is presumably called "Long Weekend" as that is how long it takes to get served! Food that should have been hot was stone cold and the food that was hot was bland, overcooked. The breakfast buffet was very small in comparison to the other Marriott hotels we have stayed in and the fried eggs were overcooked and rubbery. The haggis though was very tasty.

The hotel had apparently run out of bathrobes so we had to manage with 2 robes between 4 people. The baths are very small, even for a short person.

The hotel layout is very rambling with narrow winding corridors and lots of small flights of stairs. Quite a challenge to negotiate with large heavy suitcases, especially when the only lift to our floor was out of action the whole time we were there.

The hotel could desperately do with a face lift. Old grubby carpets. Dirty wall lights. Paint peeling off the outside of the windows.

On the plus side though, the location is lovely as the hotel is surrounded by a beautifully manicured golf course. We all thoroughly enjoyed the swimming pool, sauna, and steam room. There is also a very well equipped gym.

When the hotel undergoes its much needed refurbishment and the staff have been trained in customer service I am sure it will be worth visiting again.

• Liked — Location and Spa
  • Disliked — Grubby and rude
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

I stay at Marriott hotels a lot on business, and this hotel has all the things l like about Marriott. Spacious guest rooms, great beds and they are always clean. Dalmahoy has a spectacular location west of Edinburgh and the main house is stunning. My latest stay here on 22st May for a business meeting was spoiled by several issues. Lunch for anyone with a group business meeting is a very sad buffet of casseroled meats and vegetables. Not very inspiring given the AA Rosette status of the restaurant. Dinner that night was in the Club House restaurant with 3 work colleagues. Pleasant service but crazy prices. £23 for a rib eye steak. Mine was covered in a gelatinous glue which was horrible. A few bites and that was my appetite gone. The waiter did notice this and offered a replacement. It wasn't charged to my bill. A glass of standard house red wine was £6.95! These prices are completely unjustified.
I had a problem with the internet connection in my room and a call to reception got me through to the suppliers help line. They were unable to resolve this so two days and no email etc. for business. I got a bill for £1.49 for a connection charge. This was overturned at the reception grudgingly. Other Marriott hotels I use seem to do a better job, that Dalmahoy. I feel the management here are letting things slip.

• Liked — Guest Rooms
  • Disliked — Dinner in the Club House
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dalmahoy, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!