“Poor Service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Poor Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Attended a Wedding on 24th Feb 2013, which we had booked a room for the night, rooms were not available until late afternoon so we all had to use the Brides room ( there were about 10 of us at one point, mostly males ) which caused a lot of stress and upset to the Bride to be.
After writing to the Hotel I received a letter with several apologies for the lack of communication and lack of being told about breakfast ( which we had paid for but were not told about )
As a Hotelier myself, I was very disappointed in the lack of management and care in the Dalmahoy, it’s what I call " all fur coat and no knickers" all smiles but nothing behind them
Very poor service, very poor information, and very poor "apology"
Will not be back

Room Tip: Best to try a family owned local Hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
temecula
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I can't believe the reviews I am reading about this hotel. Why? Because I am here right now and checked in last night. In my opinion, Marriott should be embarrassed. The reception area looks very, very tired with frayed and dirty carpeting. Understanding this is an 'older' property does not excuse the look of the common areas and rooms. My husband was going to golf and I was going to enjoy an upscale spa day until I looked at their 'spa'. No thank you!
I had to laugh when I went online and looked at their pictures of guestrooms because they look nothing like those pictured on their website. We are loyal Marriott members (or have been) but this is a big disappointment and I look forward to check out in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Dalmahoy by Marriott was, by pure luck on our part, a great choice for our Edinburgh vacation and stay. It was close enough to make a golf outing to St Andrews work on my day of arrival, and to have the whole second day in Edinburgh. My wife enjoyed the spa and said it was worthy of another visit if we had had the time. In our two nights there, we utilized the facilities and toured the adjacent areas. if you are a golfer, this is a good spot to play a round or two without traveling too far afield. it is not a typical Scottish links course, but will work to hone your game, and was is great shape, as I saw it.

The Facility is an old Castle renovated to offer rooms and is very unique -basically one of a kind- based on that alone, and is set out of the city enough to offer a great sense of the countryside, but very accessible to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: I am American and not used to the public transportation offered in the UK, so with that bias, I woul...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

A couple of days ago, I stayed at the Dalmahoy Hotel to celebrate the wedding of my best friend. I normally don't write reviews when I stay at a 4 or 5 star-hotel as even if the experience goes well, perfection is what you expect anyway! Why write a review about the Dalmahoy then? The reason is simple: I had the best day of my life there and I feel I should share my views, because if you're reading the reviews and thinking about perhaps getting married at this prestigious establishment, you shouldn't hesitate any longer! Go for it!!!

Like any where else, it all begins at the reception. The first person you'll meet will stay for ever in your mind and you may spend a great time afterward, if this first contact with a member of the staff doesn't meet your expectations, it might ruin everything. Well, let me reassure you straight away: I've been to many luxurious hotels and I have been impressed by the team behind the reception. I have been so demanding all day and all night long to make sure that my friends and family would have a good time, and each and everyone of the receptionist and concierge have dealt with my request with professionalism and efficiency.

The two members of staff that supervised the wedding were also so helpful. Wedding, as I am sure you know, must be perfect and therefore be quite stressful. They made our day so smooth. There isn't enough words to qualify the massive job they've through out the day (and night!).

Let me talk briefly about the meal. Not only that the menu chosen by the Groom and the Bride was excellent, it isn't easy to serve a whole room filled with so many guests walking around. The food was DIVINE. The presentation was amazing and it was served within seconds. It was well seasoned, served hot, WITH A SMILE! I kept interrupting the staff (speeches, videos,... a wedding lunch!) and they were so patient (you would expect it, indeed, but still, I had been very demanding!)

I could go on and on and on... So I'll finish with the room. Mine was perfect (5 stars standard) and the breakfast buffet was probably one of the best I had ever seen. And once again, I've been to prestigious establishments like the Moscow Kempinski, the Dublin Shelbourne or the Paris George V.

Room Tip: I stayed at the #426, very quiet room!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Attended a wedding and stayed over
Wedding was amazing
Food excellent, venue excellent, piper and toastmaster great
Service very good too
Lovely grounds - church at the entrance was just gorgeous
Only down side - bar very expensive

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ayr, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was very much looking forward to staying in the Marriot at Dalmahoy. It has tremendous facilities. The golf courses are supposed to be excellent and the leisure club looked very good. I was part of a group who have taken meeting rooms and guest rooms for many nights. The hotel was full with many overseas and business guests.

My stay was only for one night but I was very disappointed. Check in was fine with a very pleasant local lady who explained the rather complicated hotel layout.

Meeting room was a good size but no AC. Luckily we could open all the windows wide on a beautiful night. Dreadful wifi setup. You couldn't acces the public area free wifi. You could pay per person but even when you did the signal strength meant we were struggling to exchange e mails with attachments.

We had room service bring 6 evening meals to our meeting room. They were moderately priced but not cheap. Not one of the meals was good. The burgers were poor quality, the pasta and pizza average.

The bedroom was average. One small window, comfortable bed and a decent sized bathroom. No chance of modern basics like an extra plug by the bed for your phone charging overnight. No free wifi. A shower that was only just ok. In the morning the lack of soundproofing was obvious from about 6am.

Breakfast was in a big self service restaurant. Food was ok but not any better. Choice was not as good as many 3 star hotels. Wrong hot drinks brought.

Trying to check out was interesting. 2 reception staff. One on the phone talking for about 10 minutes to a customer who was trying to book a room on loyalty points. At no time did she look up to see or acknowledge a stream of customers who were looking to check out or have queries answered. Poor managment supervision.

Maybe I just had a bad experience but one of my colleagues described it as a hotel scraping along the bottom of the 4 star range. I think that was generous. I have stayed in many better 3 star hotels.

I am back again next week and hope I can report something better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel at Dalmahoy is great the food is great but the golf course greens are terrible the west course greens look like the fairways at my course, the east course which is suppose to be the championship course the greens are a disgrace. I would not play there until I know they are up to a championship standard especially when you pay top dollar... Avoid like the plague..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dalmahoy, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!