“Extended Indulgence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rater Tara Diner Rabi Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santiniketan
Rater Tara Diner Rabi Guest House
You added Rater Tara Diner Rabi Guest House to your Saves list
Taltore Road, Behind PHE Bungalow | Fuldanga, Santiniketan 731235, India   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Santiniketan B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Extended Indulgence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

"Now it is time to sit quite, face to face with thee, and to sing
dedication of life in this silent and overflowing leisure." - Tagore

If you are looking for just some random weekend get-away then this is surely not your kind of place.However if you are blessed with a more inquisitive self and wish to immerse in a celebration of culture,tranquility and peace , then this is that "quiet little place" nestled in the arms of Shantiniketan where the presence of "the poet" is almost heartfelt and ubiquitous.The attention to detail is amazing: the murals on the boundary walls depicting lessons from "Shahaj Path" , the beautifully landscaped garden in the front, the furniture in the large balcony on the 1st floor which is locally designed, even the number plates on the rooms - all seem to be in complete harmony with the entire ambience. There is a sublime touch of lazy elegance in all the appurtenances that have been placed around ; a lot of time and attention has been invested in structuring the look and feel of this place. There is hardly anything out there which hasn't blended in with the surrounding or appears completely unwarranted. The effortless marriage of nature and serenity with expert craftsmanship is what makes this guest house truly remarkable.

The rooms are nice and spacious and the support staff is exceptionally friendly and service oriented.Me and a couple of buddies went for this weekend trip and the support staff pampered us by relentlessly adhering to our requests for black coffee and tea even at odd hours. The simple Bengali food that is dished out is good and one can ask for bottled water.

The unobstructed view from the balcony is great and one needs to just laze around in one of those rocking chairs after sundown and experience the solitude. It's a defining Shantiniketan moment. If the sky is clear , I would strongly recommend a late night stroll in the terrace where you can spend an hour or two stargazing and catching up with old friends or enemies. ( If you are attentive you can even hear the Duquesne whistle blowing in Laal Maati) . For those among us who have been in city pent , we don't see this kind of a night sky very often -do we ? And that kind of justifies the name .

Saumya Banerjee,
Chicago .

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Try to get hold of a first floor room which opens into the balcony. We stayed at no. 4 and the view was nice. Its calm, peaceful and serene and feels more like a home. The genial host is ably assisted by his support staff. The food is good too.

• Stayed February 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

If you are being in Santiniketan, RTDR Guest House is a great option for your stay. My friends were all very pleased with the place and its ambience. It is, no way resembles with a lodge or hotel but it seems to be a more than that i.e. home away from home.

Babar and his team with Ranjit are the epitome of hospitality. They are ably assisted by 4-5 locals(all are villagers not having the showmanship like us, who are living in mega cities but they are polite, honest and humble to their duties) who will take care of everything you might need. They try very hard and are pleasant, helpful, concerned and trustworthy. Initially there was a great deal of emailing back and forwards, owner stayed in the side room and was happy to help regarding anything we required. There are, I think, 11 rooms in total, spread over ground & first floor and all the rooms named after the female characters of different novels of Tagore. Some rooms have larger bathrooms, some are at the back of the building - and they all have a television with a large selection of channels. Beds are very comfortable, breakfast timing flexible - and the Bengali breakfast like luchi, karaisutir (Peas) Kachuri & sabji is pretty good.

Each bathroom has a separate water heater; you turn it on about 15 minutes before your shower. Shampoo and soap are provided of good brands, pouches of coffee, tea, sugar and milk is available in the room itself, they provide hot water in thermos for your preparation as per your need. .

If you're expecting a hotel – no, this is not one. If you are expecting a 5 star experience - again, this is not one. But if you want a place that is clean, safe, quiet, pollution free ambiance, reasonably priced – one may select Rater Tara Diner Rabi Guest House is their ultimate venue.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Katy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

As soon as you step into the premises of the RTDR - it'll remind you the significance of my review title. I was fortunate to stay there with my wife for a four-day package deal on the last Poush Mela that opened on December 23rd 2012. Though a born Santiniketanite and had her schooling completed there, my wife herself was totally captivated by the beauty of the flower garden! Simply awesome!!! You may spend hours in the garden, ask the gardeners about the "nam na jana phul" – they would explain all about it with passion. The quality of food served was superb. This place had so very authentic and delicious food to cater to your taste! Once you're there - leave the rest on them, you'll be well taken care of! The rooms were specious, well-furnished and clean, and the premises secured. And above all, the owner was so hospitable. We’ll certainly be the guests there on our future trips to Santiniketan, and would highly recommend others about it as well!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

A wonderful hotel away from the chaos of the city. You will never feel away from your home. We just loved the ambiance.Wonderful food and staffs. Rooms are big and very well furnished. You will get a wonderful garden with beautiful flowers just in front of the hotel. It will certainly refresh your mind.

Room Tip: First floor front side rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Howrah, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

i visited RTD on R with my family during 25th jan 2013.when we visited 0n 31st dec 2012 we earn lots of respect from their staff and the owner of the guest house .we are feeling that we landed on a valley full of colours .really it was eye pleasant for all.for there hopitality and good test of food we are bounded to cameback again on 25th jan 2013.this time we feel that we are not in outside of our home.they provide all the facility to us.we had no waord to complain against any thing.and the staff are really well behave.we all look future to come that place again and again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Gurgaon, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I visited RTDR with my family during 2012 winter. I booked this Guest House at the insistence of my friend who is always in full praise of this Guest House specially for the ambience and Hospitality. Usually I do not get convinced so easily . However I booked this Guest House. After visiting there and staying for 2 nights I found this Guest House even better than what was the impression I got from him. As a part of my profession I have to tour a lot and stay in Star Hotels ( minimum 3-4 star). My experience is that even the star is more, then also,you will not get the ambience and hospitality to match your home in any of such Hotels what I have received in RTDR. To me the service of RTDR is comparable ,if not better, than any of reputed star hotels. During my stay I have noticed all the staffs have a smiling face . They are humble and carry out any order within time.
I am really surprised to note the comments of Mr.Sagaree C. It is really difficult to conceive such comments . Except the buffet of 4/5 star Hotels ,the menu of food of any Hotel across the world is limited. If someone visits a place which is not in his native state/country he should be mentally prepared for different types of food. However in good hotels they may ask for your opinion. What is important is the quality of food . I understand the quality of food of RTDR is really excellent ( I do not know any word better than this). My experience with all the staff specially with Ranjit is very good .
Further to this I recommended this Guest House to few of my friends and all my friends thanked me for this recommendation. So I would request Mr.Sagaree C to review his comments.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rater Tara Diner Rabi Guest House? Share your experiences!