“Lovely stay!!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Reading, Berks
“Lovely stay!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and our 23 month old son have just returned from a 2 night stay at the old manor hotel. We were using a living social voucher. The staff were excellent, the hotel is very nice and our room was lovely and they had put up a travel cot for my son. We had dinner on our first night and it was very nice, again the staff were fab. The breakfast is delicious, they even have homemade jams and marmalades ( these are also available to buy) . Overall we had a excellent few days and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to family and friends!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here with a hotel voucher.
We were greeted warmly and shown to our room. The room was quite small but absolutely lovely, had all facilities and a very comfortable bed. The TV didn’t have the best reception, neither did the Wi-Fi but you don’t come away for a few days to watch TV or use the internet.
We chose to eat in the restaurant that evening, the food was delicious, no complaints at all.
The bar did close very early and we managed to ask a lady who happily supplied us with a bottle of wine, we sat in the lounge area playing supplied games which was lovely.
The breakfast was served the next morning was lovely and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.
We were out for the whole day.
Again, the bar closed very early so we could not get a drink when we arrived back, which was a shame.
All in all, I would recommend this hotel, it is very pretty, quirky, with lovely staff members and it would be a pleasure to return.

Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed one night on a special offer. Was disappointed with the fact that Room 17 was not available to us. It was explained to us that the window was broken and Room 10 was allocated. The only thing wrong with the room was the bed it needed a new mattress it felt like sleeping on the hard board. It was very a uncomfortable nights sleep. Everything else in the room was OK except lightbulbs not being replaced when they don't work! I thought this would have been a simple task to rectify. The main disappointment was the evening meal. My husband ordered the salmon to start and found the skin hadn't been removed very disappointed as he didn't eat it. I ordered the steak and it was cremated. Not the best. Should have been provided with a proper steak knife to cut it. Overall very over priced for what we received. The breakfast made up for it very nice. Staff very nice. Would stay again but not eat evening meal there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
rapidoBradfordonAvon, Owner at The Moonraker, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Emma, unfortunately the window frame in Rm17’s bathroom was broken.
We tend towards harder beds at The Old Manor, if the mattress had been worn out, I fear it would have been soft or lumpy.
Skin on fish is a difficult subject. I love it but it is a simple matter to remove it. It also adds flavour during cooking.
We have received two complaints about overdone steak and chef is looking into it. I would always ask guests to bring issues to our attention. Cooking another steak is no problem. Please tell us before you tell tripadvisor! We can put it right, Tripadvisor cannot.
bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We took advantage of a special voucher offer for two nights bed and breakfast last week and loved every minute of our all too brief stay at the Old Manor. From start to finish (and despite the cheapness of the deal) the staff were totally welcoming, friendly and smiling and each and every one couldn't have done more to give us such a memorable visit - nothing was too much trouble. On arrival we were shown to a room in the annexe and were amazed to find it was really luxurious - beautifully furnished and presented, immaculately clean and with every mod-con we could possibly require. It was lovely and warm on a chilly January afternoon and so comfortable too. There was a gorgeous, roomy bathroom for us as well. We simply couldn't have asked for more. Breakfast on both mornings was also a delight with an excellent range of choices whatever your taste, prepared to perfection and served with a smile. From start to finish we truly couldn't fault the Old Manor, its hospitable owner, Tim, and his brilliant staff, especially Ryan and Linda. The location too is great with so much super walking in the area, the chance to hop into Bath by bus (foc with our passes!) and with so many other lovely towns of interest to explore. Heaps of history too, of course. We'll return, that's for sure! And, having read some of the earlier reviews, we have to wonder if they actually stayed at the same hotel!

Thanks once again for looking after us so royally, Tim - much appreciated and enjoyed.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed in an anexed building. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was clean and of high quality. That is where my good review ends. Carpets were dirty, cold water was warm, hot water was like lava. The shower was very poor, no markings, very low pressure and temp varied greatly.

Breakfasts were good but evening meals were poor. Steak was very over cooked and sauces tasted like they came from a jar / packet.

Most of the staff were very good and friendly.

At this price I expect a lot more.

• Stayed January 2013
rapidoBradfordonAvon, Owner at The Moonraker, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Ok, here goes. Your review is largely unfair. I agree, my staff are great, so are most other things:
1. Our carpets are vacuumed every time we service a room.
2. I’ve never had a complaint that water is too hot. If the cold supply runs warm, it just needs to run for a minute and it goes cold. Or call reception. Simple.
3. The showers are sometimes sensitive, like your good self.
4. I was always taught that if you make a mistake you should have the opportunity to correct it. You chose not to give us that opportunity with your steak. We would have gladly cooked another one. I do not recall an uneaten steak returning to the kitchen. I have yet to meet a chef who gets it right every time. I am sorry if he did overcook it.
5. Our sauces are home made. We do buy in Heinz Tomato Sauce, Hellmans Mayonnaise etc, as does the Claridges(probably).
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

If I had simply come across this Hotel on my journey, it is likely I wouldnt have even gone up to the reception. The approach to it from the not so attractive side of Trowbridge, particularly in heaving rain and darkness didnt fill me with anticipation. I had booked online only a few hours earlier and the Hotel looked very impressive on the website, added to my having got a half price bargain. Im not so sure I would have stayed if as a single person, I had to pay the original price quoted to me. The pot-holed driveway and slightly scruffy approach doesnt do this place justice. If I were attending a wedding reception there in glad rags, I would be very umimpressed at the dips in the ground approaching reception that were extensive puddles.

The layout of the Hotel is rather higgledy piggledy but thats because it was formerly various animal barns that have been converted. The main house is very elegant looking with a French manor house look to it. The dining room is lovely, converted with a beautiful big fireplace and pleasant comfortable tables and chairs, with a lounge area at one end. There is a lovely quirky bar area.
My room was a double with en suite bathroom, small by standards of others I have stayed in but very perfectly formed with beautiful linen and thick fluffy white towels, old style pine furniture and dated but clean avocado bathroom suite. The bath wall could do with a paint though.
I ate in the restaurant and though arriving a couple of minutes after they had finished taking orders, the manager, Chris ensured I got a meal with no hassle. The food was presented well, tender turkey but could have been hotter. Breakfast was disappointing. The full English that were being served looked good but I overheard comments about the mushrooms and one couple hardly ate any of their full English. Id chosen scrambled egg with mushrooms with wholemeal toast. The little girl serving got my toast order confused with the next table so I ask for mine to be corrected. When it was returned to me, there seemed to be much less scrambled egg and it was tinged grey at the edges, perhaps slightly burnt in the pan. The mushrooms, four small ones, were sadly apparently boiled rather than fried, very watery and tough. Very disappointing. I assume the male voice in the kitchen was the chef, there seemed to be a bit of messing about of the staff in the kitchen from the sound of his voice. Not conducive to guests quiet enjoyment of their breakfast. My toast when it was returned however was perfect!

The manager, Chris was old fashioned charming and nothing was too much trouble for him. I really wanted to be totally happy with my visit and my only complaint is that the food could have been better. I think the place is due to undergo some changes and I hope they continue in the direction they have started. It has a lot going for it.

Room Tip: I had a double room very close to the dining room which was pretty private and not a problem to be n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
rapidoBradfordonAvon, Owner at The Moonraker, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Arriving in Noah style weather via Trowbridge will impress no-one. Especially as most of the drive has been washed away by the amazing amount of rain, leaving it rather worse for wear. It’s about to be repaired.
We do have a single occupancy rate for our double rooms, so please ask.
We normally receive only compliments on our food but note your concerns. The mushrooms are cooked in a pan with a mixture of water, oil and butter.
I do try to make the hotel a happy place to work, but maybe , on the occasion of your visit the kitchen was a little too happy. I have spoken to chef.
Chris, the General Manager , is a proper old-fashioned hotel professional.
Tim Burnham, Proprietor.
PS. A very clever hotelier once told me that the best, constructive criticism comes from seasoned travelers. As you can see Gail T has posted 76! I take the comments on the chin and thank you for the 4 out of 5
Penarth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I have just spent a few days over the New Year at this hotel
and would like to say what a fabulous place to stay.
We were greeted and made to feel very welcome from the start. Our room was really nice, spotlessly clean and really warm and comfortable.
All the staff were very friendly. The food was delicious, plenty of choice and very well presented. I would definitely recommend anyone looking for a place to stay in this area to take a look, it definitely 'ticks all the boxes'.
We hope to return soon.
Thankyou.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Moonraker? Share your experiences!