“Maybe a one-off but suprisingly poor” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Truro, United Kingdom
“Maybe a one-off but suprisingly poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Firstly I'll say we have been twice before and had good meals so my guess is that the food was just not suited to us on this evening (which is why I've given it 3 instead of 2 stars) but we were massively dissapointed with the meal we had here a couple of weeks back

My girlfriend ordered the rockpool which despite being a big fan of all the ingredients just found it a strange way to serve the ingredients and didn't enjoy it at all - was a like a watery fish soup but the stock was so overwhelming that you didn't get the flavour you'd hope from the meatier ingredients floating in the water. I had the coarse-pate type starter which was ok although the bread served with it was very thin and had a stale texture which was strange as the fresh bread given to you at the start was lovely.

For the mains we both had the chicken (thought the menu choice was quite poor) and this was perhaps the biggest dissapointment with the thigh and leg both being very average (not sure what we were expected from the cheapest cuts of chicken - but certainly not them to plain as they were) - the potatoes seemed simply boiled with a dash of olive oil (ie tasteless - never get why chefs do this as no-one I know rates this style) and the pretty unnattractive bed of veg underneath just was lacking in flavour and compatibility with the chicken. We then had a 15 min wait for our plates to be cleared.

The cost for this underwhelming chicken meal was £17 each which I have to say is pretty much a fine dining price in Cornwall (excluding the michelin stars Driftwood and N.Outlaw) and having dined at many good restaurants in Cornwall must say this is the poorest value meal I've had yet by some margin. I'm not sure of the justification of the price as the setting is on the main road (v limited views) - perhaps its because their is so little competition in this select tourist hotspot

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
BenPrior, Owner at Ben's Cornish Kitchen, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
On behalf of me and my team I would just like to say sorry. The disappointment and consequences of one night out of 4 years worth when we completely dropped the ball are hard to take. The fact that the dishes were so unbalanced that you didn't even clock the lobster on the chicken hence the price makes it all the more worse for me.

As with the previous reviews showing I got it wrong and boy have I paid.

I can honestly say that normal service has returned and hope that you might soon to as you have said in your comments this is a one off and will never happen again and hope you will be back so I can make up for it. As many of the customers that I spoke with on the night have been already, please do call me just wish I had seen you on the night to avoid this damage to a hard fought reputation.

Sorry once again Ben

BenAhmed
“Not quite as good as it could have been”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We booked in for dinner at Bens and we were looking forward to it as the reviews were good, and the place looked nice. Its always nice to support local independant places.

The tables were laid out well, nice plain decor, service was prompt and friendly.

We ordered the rockpool to start and whislt it was novel, it tried to be a little clever. I think that they need to refine whats in, on the plate and not try and do too much! The fish could have been seared, the broth was tepid and not as full flavoured as it could have been.

The crab starter was brilliant! Just great! Canelloni packed with fresh crab and very pleasant sauce.

Chicken Main was lovely, could have been a bit better but very well cooked, lovely veg and sauce was flavoursome.

The fish, Halibut?, was very well cooked and very nice, but was ladened in Pink perpercorns that were not plesant to eat and tricky to scrape off. Would have been better course ground or left off.

We didn't stay for pudding as nothing jumped out.

The matching wine to meals was a good idea, could benefit from a tasting note while being served, but that may have happened if they weren't short staffed.

Okay value for money, but the dished and the service need to be sharpned up.

Visited May 2013
BenPrior, Owner at Ben's Cornish Kitchen, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Would just like to thankyou for your honest feed back and whilst disappointed your experience wasn't as good as you had hoped for I am happy to receive constructive criticism. We have just been through a transition in the restaurant and have add new staff which is taking longer to settle down than we had hoped for.

We are trying to set high standards as expectation of the restaurant grows and as you seem to have suggested maybe gone to far on a few dishes (we are always learning).

Hope you will come back again to see the refinements we are making all the time.

Kind regards Ben
uk
“Passion of chef reflected in food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We ate here on their first night of reopening after refurbishment. Holidaying in the area we liked the look of the menu which we thought showed initiative and an individual touch.

We were seated by the window upstairs which had a great partial view of St Michael's mount as the storm engulfed the sea and the wind rattled the rafters. Even though it was a stormy tuesday evening the restaurant started to fill up soon after six.

I had the terrine starter and the turbot for mains. Both had amazing flavours and attention to detail. Forgotten what my wife had but she was as equally impressed ! Had room for desserts and both were amazing!

An excellent but marked up bottle of Sebastiani Zinfandel complemented the meal. Service by a couple of young lady's was very good and I noted their knowledge of the menu as they were asked by several customers in detail and also the wine pairings.

The chef here portrays excellent use of produce available reflected in the ever changing menus and it certainly shows in the food. His passion is obvious and it is encouraging to see he sets high standards.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Callington, United Kingdom
“Heston has nothing on Ben.................!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I ate here for our wedding anniversary, we had read no reviews and were really just going with the flow so had no preconceptions. The food flavour combinations were outstanding and the food cooked briliiantly, we both enjoyed every mouthful and could taste ALL the flavours..Presentation was excellent, the Cornish Rockpool was visually stunning but I would have liked a little more....The scotch egg starter was very clever, how do they manage to get the egg perfectly running inside the crispy shell??? Mains were similarly delicious, well cooked and a visual work of art. Great inspired work in the kitchen Ben.. I will remember our 25th Anniversary meal for as long as I Iive....Thank you!!
BUT.... While the magic is being worked in the kitchen, you are being seriously let down by front of house. I have eaten in many and varied restaurants across the world in the last 30 years, I have rarely tasted food as good as this, but I would have liked my wine, drinks and bread to have arrived before the starter, and both starters to have arrived roughly together. The waitresses knew little about the food and showed little interest in your magical works, combined with their poor presentation they let you down bigtime. However I still give you excellent and full marks because I came to your restaurant for delicious food and thats what I got...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
cornwall
“Poor service, nice food!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

After hearing so many positive reviews of this restaurant a group of us decided to try here! After being seated we were not offered any drinks for 15 minutes until we had to ask the waitress to be served. When asking about the menu the waitress again seemed to know nothing about the menu or ingredients. The food itself was nice but nothing spectacular and we were amazed when it came to paying our bill that we had been charged for each piece of bread we had!! For a bill of way over £200 we thought this was really tight!
Throughout the night the service was really bad and nobody even said goodbye when we left! There is a clear lack of management out the front which really shows!

We are local and have been to many restaurants in the area in this price range but feel this really was not worth the money compared to others! Quite disappointed!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BenPrior, Owner at Ben's Cornish Kitchen, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
It is always disappointing to get negative reviews. We have entered a new phase at Ben's Cornish Kitchen by recently opening the upstairs dining section and employing new waiting staff. There is no defence for the poor standard of service you received and I offer my heartfelt apology.

I don't think I have ever tried to communicate that we offer 'spectacular' food so it is possible you came with unrealistic expectations. Our menu and pricing is outside the restaurant so you would have been able to see what was on offer before choosing to dine here. As regard to the low score you gave us for 'value' you will see that it is quite at odds with many other reviewers.

I am sorry that you felt you had a poor experience do hope we will get the opportunity to host you again in the future.