Puddicombe House is my kind of place. I'm not a big fan of the B&B, feels too weird sleeping in a stranger's house and not as keen as some with the chit chat. Puddicombe House is more of an Inn than a B&B. It is very nicely decorated. It has 6 rooms, all on the second floor, a restaurant and spa. The owners are very nice people. They made us feel welcomed, but were not obtrusive as wife and I were celebrating our anniversary. That said, I heard them talking more with others, so if you like to chat, I'm sure you'll be happy.
The main room (Puddicombe) was already booked, so we took the Cressman room, which was very nice and SUPER clean. Wife, who is a hands and knees with a toothbrush kind of cleaner, noted that all the usual crannies of the bathroom that are typically dirty in hotels, were all clean. Bed and bedding was very comfortable. I normally don't sleep well the first night in a different bed, but slept very soundly here. There was also a good sized flat screen TV, remote-controlled air conditioner, iron/board and jet/jacuzzi tub
We enjoyed dinner at their restaurant one night. I had their Scallops to start and Chicken Supreme, which were both delicious, and wife had a fresh pasta dish that was so good and well-portioned that she admittedly over indulged by about 5 bites. Breakfasts were good too - frittata and waffles. Wife is vegetarian, which they easily accommodated. We didn't ask for much else - just an ice bucket for wine we brought along, and staff quickly got that for us.
Located just 20 mins from downtown Stratford in the town of West Hamburg, it was an easy drive to see our shows. We even came back between shows to change and refresh. There isn't much in West Hamburg itself, but it is a quaint town and we enjoyed walking around after dinner, seeing some nice architecture typical of the area in the late 1800s/early 1900s, esp the yellow brick which isn't common, and there's a park by the river. And there's also a large Ten Thousands Villages shop just east of town.
Overall, I would describe everything about Puddicombe House as being great - the owners, the other staff, the service, the food, the rooms - all great. If you are heading into the Stratford area, I would highly recommend you consider staying here. It's definitely close enough, and with the restaurant and spa on site, it's worthy of a detour all on its own.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Puddicombe House, An Ontario's Finest Inn and Spa featuring elegant accommodation in downtown historic New Hamburg. Six B & B rooms feature en-suites, most with Jacuzzi tubs, King, Queen and Twin options, flat screen TVs and fireplaces. Full-service restaurant, spa and hair salon. Unique shopping just outside our door property is located a short 20 minute drive (22km) to the Stratford Festival Theatre, and a 20-25 minute drive to St Jacobs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Puddicombe House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Puddicombe House Hotel New Hamburg
- Puddicombe House New Hamburg, Ontario