“Great inn near Stratford and SUPER clean” 5 of 5 stars

Puddicombe House
145 Peel St, New Hamburg, Ontario N3A 1E7, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 New Hamburg B&B and Inns
Canada
“Great inn near Stratford and SUPER clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Puddicombe House is my kind of place. I'm not a big fan of the B&B, feels too weird sleeping in a stranger's house and not as keen as some with the chit chat. Puddicombe House is more of an Inn than a B&B. It is very nicely decorated. It has 6 rooms, all on the second floor, a restaurant and spa. The owners are very nice people. They made us feel welcomed, but were not obtrusive as wife and I were celebrating our anniversary. That said, I heard them talking more with others, so if you like to chat, I'm sure you'll be happy.

The main room (Puddicombe) was already booked, so we took the Cressman room, which was very nice and SUPER clean. Wife, who is a hands and knees with a toothbrush kind of cleaner, noted that all the usual crannies of the bathroom that are typically dirty in hotels, were all clean. Bed and bedding was very comfortable. I normally don't sleep well the first night in a different bed, but slept very soundly here. There was also a good sized flat screen TV, remote-controlled air conditioner, iron/board and jet/jacuzzi tub

We enjoyed dinner at their restaurant one night. I had their Scallops to start and Chicken Supreme, which were both delicious, and wife had a fresh pasta dish that was so good and well-portioned that she admittedly over indulged by about 5 bites. Breakfasts were good too - frittata and waffles. Wife is vegetarian, which they easily accommodated. We didn't ask for much else - just an ice bucket for wine we brought along, and staff quickly got that for us.

Located just 20 mins from downtown Stratford in the town of West Hamburg, it was an easy drive to see our shows. We even came back between shows to change and refresh. There isn't much in West Hamburg itself, but it is a quaint town and we enjoyed walking around after dinner, seeing some nice architecture typical of the area in the late 1800s/early 1900s, esp the yellow brick which isn't common, and there's a park by the river. And there's also a large Ten Thousands Villages shop just east of town.

Overall, I would describe everything about Puddicombe House as being great - the owners, the other staff, the service, the food, the rooms - all great. If you are heading into the Stratford area, I would highly recommend you consider staying here. It's definitely close enough, and with the restaurant and spa on site, it's worthy of a detour all on its own.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Four of us arrived at Puddicombe after a matinee at the Stratford Festival. We were the first folks there (5:15) and received prompt, friendly service. It had been a couple of years since we've eaten dinner here, and we were impressed with the quality of both presentation and taste. I had a pasta dish with an unusual noodle I can't remember with shrimp, and my wife had the chicken supreme. Our friends had the chicken supreme and baked trout and liked it very much. We didn't have room for dessert, but our friends shared a cheesecake they also really liked. The owner dropped by at the end to be sure we were satisfied. We left about the time a live jazz group was starting to play for the folks eating on the patio.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Stratford, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Took my wife for a pedicure for her birthday...I had my first, fabulous experience and treated very well. Late morning appointment allowed us to order from the bar upstairs. Moved up there for lunch, very fresh and tasty. Will try to get there for an overnight package sometime!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had never been to New Hamburg, Ont. before. The Puddicombe House is a beautiful historic inn and we were surprised and really happy with the level of quality and service at the inn. First of all, the chef was awesome. He came to our table, a young chef (with a mohawk!) and with a TON of talent and all I can say is that we visited over a year ago and we are STILL talking about the meals he served. I can't say enough about the creativity and thought that he puts into his menu planning, it was hard to make choices on what to eat....
The presentation of the food, the great quality, the taste, it was so perfect. Like I said we are STILL talking about those meals. AMAZING. AMAZING. AMAZING.
We had the Puddicombe room upstairs. Very nicely decorated, up to date, some nice antiques in the room, great jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. Everything very, very clean. We had a great time. Be sure to check out the locakl cheese factory outlet store in the village. Not much to look at, but whne we got home the cheese was fantastic!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Waterloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

My mother and I booked in at Puddicombe for the midweek spa escape - full day of spa services, a bottle of wine, overnight in our own room and breakfast in the morning. The experience was wonderful. Beautiful rooms, friendly atmosphere and great food! A great deal for all that you get. We'll definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

My girlfriend and I chose Puddicombe House as a halfway point between London and Toronto for a night away. We enjoyed the spa and had fantastic meals at both dinner and breakfast. I am vegan and with a day's notice the chef did an awesome job in preparing meals that were visually appealing and delicious. My girlfriend ate off the menu and was equally impressed with her meals. The house is beautiful, the rooms are comfortable and the hosts were very accommodating. We enjoyed our stay and are already planning on a return visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed here with my wife while on business and we loved the place. The rooms, the food, the service in the spa everyone cared about us from the time we checked out to the time we left. It made a business trip into a special occasion. We will be making a visit this summer just to relax for a weekend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Puddicombe House? Share your experiences!