“Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Forester's Arms

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grassington
Forester's Arms
You added Forester's Arms to your Saves list
20 Main Street, Yorkshire Dales National Park, Grassington BD23 5AA, England   |
Ranked #18 of 21 Grassington B&B and Inns
York
“Good Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Istayed for one night while walking part of the Dales Way. The room was clean and the food for dinner and breakfast was very nice. Very good value for bed, breakfast and dinner. All the staff make you feel very welcome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My partner and I arrived into Grassington late morning, and having made an early start chose to have lunch here before a late wander around the village.

We were greeted by the barmaid although not convincingly in a friendly manner as we clearly were from out of town. We ordered drinks, although we had to have an alternative from our first choice of Timothy Taylor's Landlord as she'd been cleaning the lines and not yet pulled the beer through them - Great to know essential work is being done, but surely this should be carried out prior to opening??

When I questioned about food (I was already aware they didn't start serving it until 12.00) I said as it was 11.40 shall I order it with our drinks to be told "You can but it won't go up to the kitchen until 12!!" Surely it would have been in their interests to have sent it through anyway, given it was on what we locally at home know as 'Black Friday' when many people break up from work?? This would be proven later!!

The biggest contrast was when a couple of men walked in who were local but not regulars, and clearly not liked by the barmaid as she proceeded to talk about them quite loudly and not complimentary with her colleague, compared with a local who was obviously a regular user of the pub and who encountered smiling, friendly service in return for an offer to them of a drink each.

When the food arrived, the chicken curry was really good, and my partner, she chose the soup and sandwich deal which was good value.

As the bar started to get busier with what we were told they called 'Builders Friday', I noticed a growing level of difficulty getting served even though I'm well in excess of 6ft, which was a real shame as the beer was good when I did get it!! There were examples not just of me, but other non-locals who would be queue-jumped by a shout of 'The usual??' Or 'Same again??' and my wait would lengthen again. Eventually we'd had enough and went across to the Devonshire Arms, 30 yards away and experienced nothing at all of the selectiveness like at the Foresters.

My advice is yes your regulars use the pub frequently, so give them good service, but you can't survive without travelling trade and its the travellers who'll review their experience on TripAdvisor, not the locals so don't discriminate!! We're equals with £££'s to spend and they spend anywhere - Indeed the Devonshire had what would have been yours!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bewdley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've stayed all over the UK with my work and have never done a review. But the Forester's deserves to be the exception. We went on Thursday 'Pizza and Pasta' night, a long table of about twenty all served together, excellent food, extremely reasonable - good choice of beers in good nick, I had the Taylors, excellent. Star attraction is without doubt the landlady who I tried to gyp, but she gave it back with interest. An lovely quick-witted, funny and warm host. The review title is for her, if she sees it I'm sure she'll still have the last word:
'Forester's brilliant - watch out for the Dragon!'

Room Tip: This is a pub and restaurant review - we'd pre-booked somewhere to stay. Pity.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
wirral
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

stayed in Grassington a number of times now and eaten and drank in all of the places in the main street as has most of my family. The pub serves lovely beer but as many of the pubs in this street (not including the Bull here) you can wait while they serve locals first, last year my wife and i waited at the bar and the bar tender shouts across to 3 men who were local " are you aright there for another", this was utterly rude. Place is lovely and so are the shops, pubs and restaurants but please, there is no excuse for ignorance. this wasnt the only pub were we expeirienced this by the way and the locals should realise that they should not take visitors for granted.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

my husband and stayed here for one night as a weekend break. the staff are so welcoming and very friendly. its was really busy as the grassing festival was on (we didnt know at the time) the place was just filled with hundreds of people. we had a lovely stay its such a picturesque place to be in. the weather was showery but thats fine. we booked a meal in the pub (this a must at time of booking during busy periods) well words fail me the food was just beautiful and the portions huge, only had a main course couldnt manage another thing. we will definatly be going back it was just fab !!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed here on first night of a 6 day walking holiday. Got a great reception from bar staff on arrival and was made to feel at home. My companion, staying at a nearby B&B, and I decided to dine at the Forresters and were not disappointed with the quality. Our food was well prepared and presented, if a little pricey. The portions were good and neither of us could manage a desert. Sat in the bar for a while which was a lively and friendly place with a good range of ales.
My room was compact and the en-suite shoehorned into a corner, but it was clean and comfortable. Again the price was the issue, this being the most expensive place I stayed on my travels - more than £30 over the next most expensive.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

This is my favourite place to eat in grassington...scratch that, in the whole of yorkshire! The food is amazing, the portions are massive and the price is reasonable. I can't offer a review of the rooms as I have never stayed over but if you are looking for a lovely meal and kind, friendly staff then the foresters is the place to go!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Forester's Arms? Share your experiences!