“Felt like naughty school girls !!!!!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kirkfield Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grassington
Kirkfield Bed and Breakfast
You added Kirkfield Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Hebden Road, Yorkshire Dales National Park, Grassington BD23 5LJ, England   |
Ranked #17 of 21 Grassington B&B and Inns
north yorkshire
“Felt like naughty school girls !!!!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at Kirkfield for the last night of Grassington festival as a group of 40 something professional women away from our families for the weekend.
We were greeted by the lady who owns the guest house and were charmed by the atmosphere of the house, indeed you do have to accept it for what it is as there is certainly a need for some updating yet then some of the charm would be gone.
One of our group was unwell and so we were one short so I offered to move into the family room with my 3 friends....a lovely room with fantastic views but very old fashioned but with lots of space.

There are quiet alot of rules as noted in other posts and this spoils the experience as you just want to relax.
The beds were comfy and breakfast was fine with a very retro feel to the whole dining room.
I left early and my friends said that they were asked to pay extra for my missing friend dispite the fact that I had moved into the family room with the girls.
Also we had spilt a small amount of soda on the floor and we all got a ticking off, including my husband when he popped round to collect my purse which I had left in the room.

So all in all I've stayed in much worse and much better establishments but my advice is you just better behave yourselves and you'll be fine !!!!!!

Room Tip: The family room has triple aspect views across the fields wonderful
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cheshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Six of us stayed here recently while doing the coast to coast cycle ride and the stay caused mixed views from the party.
The good; lovely grounds and setting, the aga was a God send as we were able to dry out very wet shoes and gloves ( Margaret even removed the newspaper for us when wet and rotated the items, breakfast first class.
The not so good; rules.....boy there were a lot of them...don't run a bath, don't sleep in a double bed, don't drip water on the floor etc.. The house is also in need of some modernization. Despite it being cold and us all being very wet no heating was put on.

Some of the group loved the individuality of the place others did not.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed at Kirkfield for our 1st night on our Coast2Coast cycle ride and David greeted us upon arrival, we had a party of 11 and found all the rooms clean and very roomy and after a full days riding the beds just wrapped around you as you fell into them. Beautiful house in stunning surroundings. Great full breakfast in the morning served in 2 sittings with plenty of toast coffee and tea. Would we go back ? YES first class service 10/10

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I have visited Kirkfield on a number of occasions and have always enjoyed my stay. The house is absolutely gorgeous and has a great collection of Robert Thompson mouse furniture.
Margaret, who owns the B&B, has lots of tips for local walks and I've always found her to be incredibly helpful and friendly. I'm also a bit of a sucker for her full English breakfasts!
There are a good number of rooms that are all well dimensioned - some of my friends have taken their kids, and found ample space to all be in one of the two very large rooms.
On this particular trip, some friends and I went on a walk up through Hebden and onto the moors, and Margaret very kindly lent us some maps and gave us some tips.
I've been staying at Kirkfield everytime I go up to Grassington for a few years now, and I wouldn't change that for anything. It's a beautiful house in a picturesque setting with very friendly staff. What more could you want?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We had a lovely stay here in August after our wedding. The owner was still upset about the double booking of the previous wedding as she mentioned it to us. Our room was lovely with a comfortable bed and en-suite with a roll-top bath and a shower over. The views from the room are fabulous and second to none in Grassington.

The elderly (and rather frail) lady who runs the B&B was flexible with breakfast. My wife is coeliac and the owner was most accommodating. My breakfast was delicious and was accompanied by fresh raspberries picked from the garden, which was a nice touch.

Although the B&B do not have a kettle in the room, we were provided with a tray with a kettle, teapot, teabags, cups and fresh milk upon asking. Although we were asked to be careful of the wooden floors (which is understandable).

The B&B is cheap compared with other places in Grassington. We had a lovely two night stay and would highly recommend the B&B to others.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bolton, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I would seriously recommend that given all the amazing hotels and B&Bs in the Grassington area to give this one a wide berth!!

I booked this hotel during the run up to my wedding to accommodate myself (the groom), my father, 2 best men, 1 usher and 2 other special guests. I called several weeks in advance and secured 7 beds for two nights. Though the hotel can sleep up to 9, I was told by the owner she could handle no more than 7 people. I sent in a securing deposit and written confirmation to confirm.

I called back a fortninght before the wedding to check everything was OK only to be told by the owner that she had double booked for the saturday as she had not copied by full reservation into the diary, and she had allowed a party of 4 in for the saturday night (which actually took her to the 9 beds I was told she would not allow). At no point did she acknowledge fault or apologise for the error, she just said I'd have to "sort myself out". Bearing in mind this was 2 weeks before our wedding, this was stress I could have done without!!

When we arrived at the property to check in the owner had not prepared the rooms and had no idea where any of the party would be staying (and again offered no apology to the mix up on the reservation) so we spent 30-45 minutes trying to arrnage the rooms. Due to the issues with the reservation 2 people were to move out on the saturday morning (I had to move the groom's father to a new hotel on the morning of the wedding!!) and 2 partners were to join instead to allow for reduced bed space.

When the two additional people arrived the following day, the owner confronted them and dragged them into one of the rooms as a receipt had been left on the windowsill and the condenstaion had leaked through and made a small mark on the paintwork - a) a minor problem, b)nothing to do wiht the 2 new arriving guests. The owners exact works were "Im sick of this bl**dy wedding already"

Given we secured the rooms, paid deposit in full, generated the hotel over £500 in income, and were very very understanding about the error with the double booking I was appaled at the way the owner managed our entire stay.

In the same weekend we had over 60 people staying in and around the Grassington area and everyone of them said their hotel was perfect. It's a real shame that as the groom on the day, with enough on my mind, I had to worry about this as well.

Again this is an amazing area so please make the most of it and where possible avoid staying in this guest house instead seek out the reviews and the many other excellent establishments in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
David L, Owner at Kirkfield Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
We are incredibly sorry that your party was double-booked. It was an error made by the elderly lady who runs the bed and breakfast. She did, however, sort out alternate accommodation, and paid for the difference herself.

I cannot imagine that an 81 year old woman 'dragged' two people into a room, but clearly she is stronger than she looks. There was a mark on the paintwork which appeared to have been caused by a perfume bottle and nothing we can do will remove the stain.

Again, I am so sorry that you had to deal with this stress on your wedding, as a wedding is stressful enough without having to change sleeping arrangements. We have reviewed our booking system and will endeavour to ensure that this does not happen again.

Been to Kirkfield Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!