“The best pub in the country” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Grassington
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“The best pub in the country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We have been enjoying annual winter trips to Yorkshire for a few years now and one of the highlights of every trip is to go to the foresters.

You couldn't ask for a warmer welcome from Rita and the team, the service is fantastic, and the food? Well where to begin?! Never have we seen such huge portions of absolutely delicious proper home cooked fayre.

I'm getting hungry even thinking about it!

If you're ever up that way, get your boots on and go for a long walk to build up your appetite and head into the foresters. Hang your coat up, get a drink, sit by the fire and stuff yourself silly!

Can't wait to go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Nice Yorkshire friendly pub ....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I visited the Forresters to stay last night, having spent the day out walking in the countryside with my dog. The Forresters is a lovely warm and friendly pub, although it does need to just address a few minor issues. There is a lovely fire and it was great to sit with my family and watch the rugby, what was a lovely gesture was that the staff left us alone until 5.55pm even though the three best tables were booked from 6pm... that was very much appreciated. The room I had was well priced for a night in Grassington, it was warm, tidy and clean upon my arrival, the staff were friendly and efficient. Although it was small, what more could you expect for £40 a night BB ? the main thing for me is that it was clean and smelled so... I had a few beers (this is my first little moan) there were no local or unique ales... anyone with an idea about ale knows that Tetleys is just a name, it would have been great to sample some unique ones. I ordered my supper (here is my 2nd moan) why do they insist on giving you bangers, mash and gravy in a bowl and not a plate ?? half way through I would have been better using a spoon. My tea was tasty and reasonably priced, although it was a shame there was no fillet steak (its my fave here and its fab) Its a dog friendly pub and the landlord played a blinder when he gave my dog a chew !! Nice work landlord.... Breakfast is only served between 8.30am and 9am... I cant quite work out why they only give people 30mins to be there to order ? that seems a bit tight, my breakfast was lovely...and considering it was all part of the £40... makes it great value... (now for my 3rd and final moan) if a person gets there for 8.30am, any chance the butter could have been taken out of the fridge a little earlier ?? I would have needed a jigger pick to get any out before opening time....
Anyway, overall this is a lovely place to stay !! I have found faults but overall I will be back, great location, great value for money, nice staff, nice food and when they have the fire burning and you sit there with a pint and your dog it makes you proud to be a Yorkshireman !!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool
“Hungry?!?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The biggest Lamb shank I've ever seen. Cracking service, good banter, lovely ale, great characters in there too. Get stuck in!

HAYDOCK
“best food ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

the food in this pub was better than any restaurant i,ve ever eaten in by far,and the pub itself felt like our local at home,we just felt so comfy in there,and the landlord was so friendly it felt like we,d known him forever.

York, United Kingdom
“Warm and welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Nice welcoming pub with lovely log fire and very friendly staff.Staying in Grassington for Dickensian Festival called in here for an afternoon drink and got such a good welcome and feeling we booked our evening meal here. This was above average pub food, our table was in the restaraunt and service was very good,ourv choice was braised shoulder of lamb which was melt in the mouth and slow roast pork another good choice. Well worth a visit we were not disappointed.