“Slightly above average” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Kempton Park, South Africa
“Slightly above average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We spent a few days in Clarens and wanted to try the Artist's Cafe for lunch. Food was nice - I had beef curry - very tasty, but definitely not a saucy curry, if you prefer that. Service was not too great though. It seemed that they were still trying to get over the breakfast rush while moving into the lunch service. My husband actually went into the kitchen to fetch a cold plate for my 3-year old son's lunch - this was served in a boiling hot steel bowl. I waited about 20 minutes for a glass of wine so all in all it was an average experience. Just need to step up the service.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Vanderbijlpark, South Africa
“Food was ok, service was poor.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had breakfast here, my wife and I had the rosterkooks, I ordered mine with biltong. Initially my plate turned up with mince, I informed the waiter this wasn't what was ordered then it turned up with some dry shaving of meat that barely resembled biltong, I asked him to take this back and I would just have without the biltong. Our waiter was very un-attentive and extremely slow, overall the service was poor and caused us not to enjoy the average quality of food we were served.

Visited December 2012
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“a fantastic welcome to Clarens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

On arrival, we stopped here for a coffee and some cake. We were very impressed - especially with the size of the slice of the extremely good carrot cake we had. The service was also good.

Visited November 2012
South Africa
“Good beef curry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Nicely positioned restaurant in Clarens.Outside seating so one can take in the quaintness of this town.My husband raved about the beef curry.Organic wines on the menu but unfortunately the white we chose was out of stock.

Visited September 2012
Pretoria
“Very so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Great location, nice atmosphere, good service but the food lets it down. Breakfasts should be easy but one breakfast of over cooked eggs & bacon, and one with barely cooked bacon in an omelette with cold toast was disappointing.

• Visited June 2012