“Pleasant stay at Lake Clarens” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Clarens Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clarens
Lake Clarens Guest House
401 Church Street, Clarens 9700, South Africa   |
Ranked #7 of 26 Clarens B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Pleasant stay at Lake Clarens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wie and I had intended to visit our family in Australia in December, but due to a mix up with the flight bookings were unable to go. We did however want to get away for a few days and through my call to RCI we were able to get a weeks accommodation at Lake Clarence guest house due to a late cancellation. We were a bit in trepidation about spending 7 days in a single room as we usually booked a unit through RCI. Fortunately, however there was a table and chairs right outside our room and this became our extended living area. The room was clean and tastefully decorated, with a spacious bathroom. The sandstone building is really beautiful with the thick walls keeping the room temperature steadily comfortable. Our Hosts and the staff were friendly and efficient and we never had any reason to complain about the breakfasts or the service. A really pleasant experience! We will definetly stay there again when we next go to Clarens.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boksburg, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spent a night at Lake Clarens after having a family tragedy. What a family stunning little guest house. We left refreshed and ready to face the world again. From the host Bruce to all the staff were friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean and well presented, we slept like babies. Thank you Lake Clarens, we will be back.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Centurion, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

In the last year I have added 65000kms to my odometer. In the course of my travels I have spent many nights in various hotels, guest-houses and B&B's throughout the country and can truly say that my stay at Lake Clarens Guest House ranks amongst the highlights of my many nights away from home!

I have stayed at this guest-house on numerous occasions and have experienced all the rooms that it has to offer; from the standard accommodation (Very good) to the more upmarket rooms which are very tastefully furnished. All the rooms are extremely comfortable; so much so that I tend to oversleep!

Once you have managed to escape from the embrace of the all to comfortable bedroom, you are met with the best view in Clarens. This panoramic vista is yours to savour while enjoying the finest breakfast that this charming town has to offer.

There is an attention to detail which is quite charming and the service is so good that one truly feels at home.

I can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
pretoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed in Lake Clarens Guest House recently - what a pleasant experience! The guest house is ideally situated with a beautiful view and within walking distance to the art galleries and shops. The adjoining restaurant, Artichoke, had some of the best Italian food that I ever tasted.The room was very convenient and neat and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay! Karien Boonzaaier

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mtunzini
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and sister in law (on holiday from Germany) stayed at the Lake Clarens guest house in October 2012.
We had booked the two bedroomed "cottage" since the 4 star B&B was fully booked.
My wife was first to enter the cottage and she immediately turned around and walked outside, and I could see by the look on her face that there was something wrong.
The cottage is a dump! We had been on a two week "road trip" around South Africa and we had stayed in excellent accommodation every night, but Lake Clarens guest house was not up to scratch. Please note that the town of Clarens is wonderful and well worth a long visit.
The back bedroom where my wife and I slept was dark and dingy. The bathroom was awful, with an exposed copper pipe coming down through the ceiling and feeding the hand basin.
My sister in law's bedroom door was so warped that she could not close it.
In the morning there was a substantial water leak across the floor of the "lounge".
The double entrance doors to the outside were falling apart and we battled to lock them. It was just about impossible to lock the Trelli sliding security door from the outside.
I have no idea what the B&B rooms are like.
The breakfast was OK, and while we were eating the owner Bruce Weyer walked in and said a pleasant good morning to us.
I immediately informed him about the poor condition of the cottage. He was very defensive and stated that my wife had been fully informed about the cottage when she booked. My wife denied this and confirmed that she had been expecting a 4 star cottage. Bruce disappeared and returned with a copy of the E Mail that he (or someone else) had sent to my wife. The E Mail stated that the cottage was "standard" accommodation, and in Bruce's opinion we were therefore fully informed of the condition of the rooms.
We definitely did not agree with this and went through the list of complaints. We would not have stayed in the rooms for free in normal circumstances.
Bruce continued to deny that we had been misled and I left to pack up. My wife joined me a few minutes later and told me that she had been offered the cottage at no charge because we were so unhappy. She had accepted this, and we have discussed whether or not we should post a negative review on Tripadvisor. We have decided that potential customers for the cottage should be aware of the failings.
Bruce sent an E Mail to my wife shortly afterwards and stated that he would attend to the points drawn to his attention. He also stated “I sincerely hope that with not debitting you for accommodation is enough compensation for your discomfort.”

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KirstyClarens, Owner at Lake Clarens Guest House, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Please note that these photographs do not depict Lake Clarens Guest House which is 4-star rated.

On your web site a person gets the idea that these photo's are of LCGH.

We run two different establishments.

These images are of our standard Lakeside Flat and every problem a person sees on the web site have been attended to and it does not look like this anymore.

We were in the process of upgrading, I told the guests to rather find other accommodation
when I saw they were unhappy, but they then said it will be for one night only, it will be in order.

They should have rather gone to another establishment and we could have avoided all this unpleasentness.
Burwash, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I'm not sure why Prince Harry or Brad Pitt stayed here...maybe it's gone downhill since then or perhaps they chose badly too! According to Lonely Planet (and the brochure) all rooms have underfloor heating (there was no evidence of that...I had an old blow heater in my room), flowers (none in evidence) and luxury sheets (the bed was very ordinary). In fact I wondered if I'd arrived at the right place. No one to greet me on arrival either. The legendary owner merely shrugged when I didn't have any water coming out the taps in my room one morning: "must be frozen...can't do much about that" he said. And the lady who runs the place seems to shout at everyone, including her staff. I don't want to hear her shouting at the maid for reading the paper in the kitchen. All very unprofessional. Finally, the breakfast was poor too...the bacon was poor, the tomatoes were not cooked...it was all very unappetising.

Room Tip: I was in Room 3, which seemed like a good location if you do stay here...upstairs and facing the &qu...