“Love it!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ol' MacDonalds Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Erskine
Ol' MacDonalds Resort
You added Ol' MacDonalds Resort to your Saves list
Box 26, Erskine, Alberta T0C 1G0, Canada   |
Calgary, Canada
“Love it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I have stayed at several campgrounds geared for families and this is by far the best!!! The beach is very clean, staff are great and tons on inexpense things for the family to do. Best dollar value compared to other kid friendly resorts in Alberta.

Room Tip: Bring quarters for the charming old time mary go round
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Overall we had an okay time. The animals are great! Lots of stuff for kids to do (however, we don't have any). We rented some of those couple peddle bikes and 2/3 were damaged in some way. The stalls are pretty bare - would be nice if there were more trees for privacy. I have to rate this place two stars instead of three because we all have swimmer's itch now. It's very irritating. We spent a beautiful day in the water (Saturday, July 5/14) and almost as soon as I got out of the water I was itchy. Days later now it is covering most of my body. Not happy with my experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed here with another family and had a great time. Our kids played at the playground most of time which was awesome and made mostly from old tractor tires. If you dont camp this is a good place to start as there is a restaurant, showers and flushing toilets available. The full service sites are not very private but there are some beautiful treed sites toward the beach. The beach is beautiful and shallow for kids but we were there on a thurs/friday and it was packed. The mini golf/candy store is awesome! Full of so many antiques and knicknacks and kept so clean! This place is very charming and the owners pride is very apparent. We will come back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Just got back from here and loved every second! Loved that I could relax and my kids could play with such a low speed limit that is well enforced! The motel is nooooo good....had family who stayed in it but if you are camping its great. Restaurant great, Coffee shop great, ice cream shop great. The train driver alwats looking happy and waving was nice. The only thing that was dissapointing was the market....not what I expected...nothing to great to buy. I was thinking maybe some fruits and veggies instead of used books and stuff brought outside from the concession. Also they have a strict policy to keep dogs on leash and I kept seeing this huge dog running around loose...kind of annoying as I'm not a fan of that. We will definitely return every year!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

We were excited about our first family vacation with our 3.5 year old and 7 month old and had been recommended this resort by others. We don't have a camper and with a baby didn't want to tent so we booked a cabin. There aren't many to choose from and really only had one option that had everything we required bringing a baby. We knew we would have to pay a little extra because of needing extras for her but figured it would be worth it once we got there. Well wow were we wrong. Our cabin was awful. The place was falling apart, literally. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the front door had a big piece of duct tape across the middle, there were dead bugs all over the counters and window sills, the doorways were covered in cobwebs and we couldn't use our picnic table until my husband practically pressure washed it. We had a tiny space heater for heat which was impossible to keep both small children warm so we bundled up and layered blankets. I couldn't even wash my hair in the shower before we ran out of hot water and you had to wait a long time before anyone else could shower. Yes there were activities for the kids but they could definitely improve them. My daughter was so excited to ride the train but only got to a couple of times because they only run it a few times a day and that's it. Same thing with the merry go round so you have to constantly be watching the clock and planning your day around when the resort has decided to run certain activities which is very annoying. The beach was ok but the water was filled with seaweed right next to the beach. The hay wagon ride was terrible. There are two beautiful black horses next to the petting zoo and being a rural Alberta girl I guess I assumed the wagon ride would be pulled by the horses. Again wow was I wrong. We got to sit on a wagon towed by a tractor and if that wasn't bad enough you think you might get to see some other sights or something around the lake but instead you just get taken on a big loop of the resort and get to look at all the other campsites. Didn't need to pay the ridiculous amount we did for that. Could have just got in our truck and drove through the campground if that's what we had wanted. I can say now that I have been there but I can honestly say I will never return. The amount of money we spent to sleep in that terrible cabin was astronomical and I wish I would have just stayed in a hotel. It would have been way nicer, had way more amenities and been way cleaner.

• Stayed June 2014
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and I had been camping every year since our children were in diapers. (They're both out of High School now) We've tried pretty much every campground in Alberta staying i n everything from a pup tent to a Class A and absolutely NOWHERE compares to Ol' MacDonalds.

What was a stop among many each summer has become the only camp-ground we go to each year. Our kids have had a great time from toddlers to teenagers and its them that insist we go back. They talk about the day when they'll take their kids to Ol' MacDonalds and continue the family tradition. I'll admit I enjoy my 10 days there as much as any cruise or all-inclusive we;ve gone on. It's just so darn relaxing.

The camp-ground has EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. A store, a beach, an arcade, a petting zoo, hay rides, live entertainment, a restaurant, mini-golf, train rides, bike rentals, ice cream stand, movie theatre, playgrounds, a coffee shop... I mean EVERYTHING. If you feel like getting away from camping Stettler is a few minutes away and they have anything you might have forgotten.

The staff is friendly, the sites are well maintained, and security makes sure the partying is kept to a reasonable level without disturbing sleeping children while still allowing the grown-ups to still have some fun. You'll quickly realize most of your fellow campers have been coming back for years. It's just that kind of place.

I HIGHLY recommend this camp-ground.

Room Tip: Reserve early... like the year before. The place is HUGE but if they run out of spots they'll pu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Camrose
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

We've been going to this resort for four years, and this year despite the addition of some new playground equipment, it was a total disaster. The site we had booked wasn't the one we were given. The site was a dirty mess, and so unlevel we couldn't get it level. So we gave up and found a campground that was worth our time and money. And the staff telling us the tree 3 inches from our awning wasn't on our site and the firepit under the trailer wasn't a problem didn't help the experience. So disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Ol' MacDonalds Resort? Share your experiences!