“Majestic Views and a GREAT B&B” 5 of 5 stars

Pieve di Chio, 52043 Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Burlington, New Jersey
“Majestic Views and a GREAT B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone who wants to be off the beaten path, and wants a non touristy taste of Italy. The accommodations were very nice, and the roof top breakfast is something me and my wife will never forget. We'll be back on your next trip to Italy for sure. The hosts were very gracious and accommodating. Love it, Love it, Love it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Some friends recommended us to this beautiful spot in Tuscany.Having missed out last year in September as all the rooms were fully booked we picked a week in June. On our arrival the weather turned from a rainy period to some lovely sunny days and we were able to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the beautiful surroundings. The wild life and bird chorus is something not to be missed! The martins were in their abundance and circled the pool with a quick dart for a drink here and there! Butterflies of every colour were to be seen and as we left some bee hives were to be installed! Not only can you now purchase local olive oil but hopefully honey too. There is so much to offer here on your stay in casa portagiogia and everything other people have written is positively true.People just keep returning and that speaks for itself in my opinion.We would love to go back again as there is always something to discover in this little gem in the heart of Tuscany

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I'll return to this page with more details once I recover from jet lag; but I don't want to waste another minute before recording how wonderful a week my partner and I spent at Casa Portagioia. As others have said, this is an incredibly beautiful and well maintained property in the heart of Tuscany. But what makes this property entirely unique is the experience of being welcomed by the two most charming, engaging and welcoming hosts I've ever met. Terry and Marcello do everything imaginable to see to it that their guests have a vacation that lives up to their dreams and expectations. Breakfast hosted by the two of them is such an incredibly enjoyable experience (and the food is wonderful, too) that, as another reviewer said, the only problem is that you don't want to leave. And there's so much else to see and enjoy in Tuscany.
My only regret is that I couldn't stay longer. And when I get over this darn jet lag, I'll start planning my next visit.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seemed beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manhattan Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed at Casa Portagioia last spring during my first trip to Italy and had a wonderful experience. Hosts Terry and Marcello were incredibly welcoming and went out of their way to ensure that we had a great stay. The grounds and the property are exquisite and the rooms are perfectly designed with all of the amenities. Breakfast on the terrace every morning is heavenly, along with afternoon wine and cheese. Anything that Marcello whips up in general is to die for. If you're considering a trip to Italy, Casa Portagioia should be a must stay on your itinerary.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Great rooms and stunningly beautiful property. Delicious and generous breakfasts. Amazing travel advice for visiting the nearby towns. If anything could make the charming region of Tuscany even more memorable, it could only be combining it with a stay at the Casa Portagioia in the good hands of Terry and Marcello---easily among the world's best B & B hosts.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a strange and hard review to write and without a doubt my longest, and is difficult to compare to the other reviews as we did not actually get to stay there. The place looks amazing and I think we would have enjoyed ourselves, if we were able to stay. I booked this place late April 2013 solely because of the "best b&b in the world" award on Tripadvisor, and planned the rest of our two week vacation in Italy around when we could get a room here. The rest of the holiday was spent north of Firenze, so this was a bit out of the way. I was not able to book a room through the website, so I sent in the form on the website, asking if they could book the dates for me. We emailed back and forth a couple of times and I sent my credit card details and a deposit of 50E was taken from it. Two weeks before we arrived I emailed to ask about the 5 course dinner, and got a reply that it didn't have to be booked in advance. We arrived in Casa Portagioia around 2 o'clock and were greeted by Marcello, and we asked if the room was ready. He checked and then took us to the room, just before he was about to let us in to the room, he asked if my name was Christine (or something similar) and I said that it is not. He then said he had to check something and went away, after a little while he told us that something was wrong and asked us to come to the breakfast room. We then understood that the room was double-booked and that we had to wait for Terry to see what could be done. We understood quite quickly that we were going to get the short end of the stick (the other couple had, from what we understood, booked before us) and we decided to go to Siena instead (a place we wanted to see at some point anyway). We went online and found a nice hotel in Siena, and were ready to leave; we just wanted our 50E deposit back. We really did not want to spend any more time there, it was just so sad and disappointing, and we wanted to put it behind us. That was easier said than done; Terry made us feel like Siena would not be a good choice and somewhat pressured and convinced us that the hotel they had found for us would be good alternative (although he never said it would be as good). They also said that they would pay for our first night in that hotel (a Best Western hotel in Rigutino, outside Castiglion Fiorentino) and not in Siena. The whole situation with the double-booking and not having eaten a proper lunch yet (not their fault), we were both a bit apathetic and felt we ended up with something we really did not want, and was not happy with the decision, but by the time we left Casa Portagioia 2 hours later, and then checked out the hotel and had something to eat, it was too late to change our plans. To their defense they tried to make things better by paying for the hotel and returning the deposit, but it would always be a disappointment when you are not able to stay where you want to, and you don’t get anything better (very difficult in this situation). They could have just let us go to Siena, not trying to get us to go to the hotel they wanted. They should have taken some more responsibility themselves, not just blaming the booking system; at some point they should have realized that my name was not in the system, especially after the last email two weeks before. In a small b&b the names in the emails should ring a bell, and if they don’t, you should check it out. They said that it is the first time in 13 years that this has happened, and we believe that, it still did not help us in this particular moment. I am not trying to discourage anyone from going there, it looked really nice. I would just recommend that you make absolutely sure that everything is ok with the booking before you go; it is a letdown not to get to stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaPortagioia, Owner at Casa Portagioia, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give your consdered and thoughtful review. We do fully appreciate and understand your disapointment.

However, there are a couple of addiitonal points which might be useful to recall. Before securing you a nights accommodation in a suite at Galileo, we also tried to place you with the Relais style hotel close to us which is of equal standing to Casa Portagioia. Regrettably, they failed to answer their phones and we were left looking elsewhere for you.

Our intention was not to put you off travelling to Siena, but merely mindful that you and your boyfirend were both tired and, we thought, looking to settle, the closer option was intended to be helpful.

We have to acknowledge that the particular period this reservation was made, one eye may have been taken off the admministration here - due to ongoing illness, however the fact taht we were unable to provide you with accommodation and our special hospitality is, without doubt, a diaspointment.

After arranging for you to saty at the alternative hotel, we did send three emails to you - enquiring if you were comfortable and, to once again apologise. In the event that our last was not received, the details are given below - expressing our regret.

We wish you both well and look forward to one day welcoming you to Casa POrtagioia

With all good wishes.

"We have seen both your emails. - in response to mine to you - asking if you are comfortable.

I have said - in complete honesty that we hope you are comfortable. I explained too that the oversight is due to our independent booking engine which. on this occasion has let us all down. I have written to the company asking for an explanation.

We have apologised - with all sincerity, both personally - and in writing . We have, happily, offered to pay for your accommodation this evening and have returned your deposit.

We do realise your disappointment in not being able to stay here. . You also witnessed my efforts to see if another guest actually wanted to occupy two of our apartments - one which is usually for a family if four . All to non avail.

The hard fact remains that despite all of the above, we have but seven units and, it is impossible to accommodate additional guests without the means to accommodate them

Having apologised to you, made sure you have reasonable and comfortable alternative accommodation at our expense. I am not sure as what else we can do.

Once more, with all sincerity we are sorry for the disappointment and inconvenience the situation has caused
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We’ve visited Casa Portagioia three times since 2010, and it becomes a little bit harder to remain objective with every review. The more you visit Casa Portagioia the more you want to go back, and with each visit you come to appreciate this home away from home just a little bit more. When you watch the sunset with a glass of wine in hand and your feet in the pool it’s easy to forget the achievement of the owners, Terry and Marcello, who have transformed a ruined farmhouse into what is now the world’s best bed and breakfast. It’s the place of dreams.

When talking about Casa Portagioia I shy away from describing it as a bed and breakfast, because it feels as though it does Terry and Marcello a disservice. It is as luxurious and as comfortable as an award-winning hotel, whilst being as fun and enjoyable as staying with friends. On every visit Terry and Marcello have gone out of their way to ensure that we have had the most relaxed, enjoyable and comfortable holiday possible, and on every visit they have succeeded. One of the many reasons Casa Portagioia has so many excellent reviews is that the owners are warm, genuine and extremely hard working.

My top tip: Think about staying here longer than just 2-3 days - you’ll be glad you did and disappointed if you don’t. I’ve met many guests that have stayed at Casa Portagioia as part of a longer trip around Italy or Europe and wish they’d stayed longer. On our most recent visit (June 2013) we stayed for 7 nights and could have found things to do for two weeks. If you are visiting other parts of Italy I would recommend staying here towards the end of your trip – everywhere else will pale in comparison and it is a great way to unwind from the hustle and bustle of cities like Rome and Florence.

Pros

• Outstanding Breakfast every morning – fruit, pastries, cereals, yoghurts, freshly squeezed juice, perfectly cooked eggs (thanks Marcello!)
• Perfectly situated – Within easy driving/travelling distance to many historical towns and wineries; including Florence, Siena, Cortona, Arezzo, Assisi, Montepulciano
• Eating In: Marcello is a superb cook. Depending on numbers he often cooks an evening meal two nights a week. This is not to be missed. It presents an opportunity to get to know the other guests (if you wish), enjoy great food, outstanding wine and eat outside on the beautiful terrace.
• Expert Local Knowledge: Food, history, wine, and culture – If you want advice or tips on where to go, or what to do, Terry and Marcello are on hand to offer expert local knowledge. Whether you want to go on a wine tour, go on a cookery course or want a recommendation for a nice restaurant.
• Great Accommodation: We’ve stayed in normal rooms twice and an apartment once. The beds are comfortable, the mini bar inexpensive and if you want to cook your own food in the evening the apartments offer a kitchen, which is a great option.
• Beautiful Grounds – There are many quiet places to sit and relax in and around Casa Portagioia. The flowers are beautiful and it is incredibly relaxing.

Cons
• You may spend too much time enjoying the beautiful scenery at breakfast!
• You won’t want to leave.

One other thing I’d also like to mention is Terry’s fantastic sense of humour – he’s great fun, is great at keeping guests entertained and has occasionally been known to tease guests in a fun, light hearted way. What you might notice on trip advisor is 600+ excellent reviews, and two reviews where guests didn’t realise he was joking. What a shame because he’s a genuinely warm hearted host (as of course is Marcello) and would be mortified if he thought he’d upset anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Portagioia? Share your experiences!